• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peace and Religion

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
"There will be peace on earth when there is peace among the world religions." - Hans Küng.

Do you believe that statement to be accurate? If so, what then is each religion's responsibility in achieving world peace?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I think that is an overstatement.
Though peace between the religions would certainly help.
There would still be national pride, greed, and intollerence to deal with.

Terry__________________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

Ori

Angel slayer
It would certainly be a great step towards world peace.

A lot of people see their religion as the only right one, so I don't understand why some of them then seek to change others views, especially people of differing religions, I mean, why would they care what others believe, they know their own religion is the right one, right?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Orichalcum said:

A lot of people see their religion as the only right one, so I don't understand why some of them then seek to change others views, especially people of differing religions, I mean, why would they care what others believe, they know their own religion is the right one, right?
For the same reason I or you would help a sick person. We are a diseased race of people.

~Victor

SoyLeche

meh...
Orichalcum said:

Actually, you've got it backwards. The fact that I believe that what I have is the truth leads me to want to share it. If I thought they were all equivalent, I wouldn't bother.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Victor said:
For the same reason I or you would help a sick person. We are a diseased race of people.

~Victor
You make a point I have never thought of; you see evangelization as a person seeing another as being 'theologically sick' ? and wanting to help?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
michel said:
You make a point I have never thought of; you see evangelization as a person seeing another as being 'theologically sick' ? and wanting to help?
Exactly. Although some people don't want the help and you must respect that. But it doesn't hurt to try.

~Victor

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Maize said:
"There will be peace on earth when there is peace among the world religions." - Hans Küng.

Do you believe that statement to be accurate? If so, what then is each religion's responsibility in achieving world peace?

I don't think that is the case at all. There are many reasons to wage war that have nothing to do with religion. But the only type of peace worth having is a peace created through liberty.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Victor said:
Exactly. Although some people don't want the help and you must respect that. But it doesn't hurt to try.

~Victor

Obviously you haven't tried to save me. :D

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
When peace in lieu of bloodshed is preached from every pulpit and every tower in the world: we will begin to have peace.

Of course, not electing War Monger presidents, such as Shrub, has got to help as well! :D

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
Firstly, there is always the possibility that each religion could see personal human responsibility as part of this, instead of relying on God to make these "great changes" to the world in one form or another. And if everyone is sick, can we not help them without being forceful and merely be compassionate to them, and from another standpoint, can't each human help themselves to a great degree when it is necessary?

jonny

michel said:
I didn't realize it would be so easy to convince you that missionary work isn't completely evil. :D

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Maize said:

Sorry Maize, to me it is a flawed idea, and therefore not wothy of comment.
Whose version of "Peace", on whose terms? Too much wiggle room, sorry.

The only time there will be the much vaunted "Peace on Earth" is only after the day that the last remaining person finds their own inner Peace. On that day, the world would change.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Peace between the religions would be a big step toward true peace on Earth, but I agree that nationalism and man's innate desire to dominate others would still lead to wars. Tho if we cut out the wars fought because of monotheism in one ilk or another, we would greatly reduce the amount of fighting in the world.

B.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
michel said:
On the other hand, it may be the evangelists who are sick--and spreading their sickness to others.

may

Jehovah is going to do an unbelievable work in our day ,he is going to get rid of the world empire of false religion

MdmSzdWhtGuy

may said:
Jehovah is going to do an unbelievable work in our day ,he is going to get rid of the world empire of false religion

I'll bet you a nickle he don't. And I will give you, hmm, a thousand to one odds. Wanna take that bet?

People been saying that stuff for centuries. Ain't happened yet, ain't ever gonna happen.

B.

syoonsh

Many religions think that we would have PEACE on our EARTH on their ways. That's why there are many wars, between many races, and cultures, trying to envade someplace, Does GOD taught this them to you to do like this as "WILL OF GOD" by killing other people and races? THis is the main reason I believe why we can't have PEACE on our world, because human being thinks that we are different. However, all human beings in our EARTH no matter what you're color is, what you're race is or your culture is, we are all same human being and equal as other human being.

Right now God knows with our current religion movement, we cannot save our WORLD, and Peace in our world. If we are keep going like this, we would go to almost end of our life. Destroying others, and hates, this is not the really GOD wants. GOD loves all human beings and human beings have not rights to judge what the GOD wants.