• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pedophilia does not have anything to do with homosexuality.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why do so many conservative Christians try to compare pedophilia with homosexuality?

Because it is a natural logical jump for them (and some others) because the real issue is not the existence of homosexuality proper, but rather their strong disconfort with having to deal with it. They are not really prepared to deal respectfully with people that do not share their views of what loving relationships and families should be like.

In their defense, it is a considerably difficult leap of faith for those who are too insulated.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
It's ironic how society hasn't given them a label like "priests" considering the stereotypical association. "Never accept forgiveness from a priest, Billy. And never, ever go alone into a confessional booth with one!". Funny how culture is selective in which group it chooses to associate predators with. Which is actually statistically stronger?

I'm not sure, since I don't look at the statistics. I do think that the majority of priests aren't predators, but enough of them are that that would be sound advice: not to send kids to confessional alone.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Because conservatives live in the 1950's, and this is what they taught in our schools to children in the '50's. (See the child predator beginning at 1:20. He is portrayed as a 'homosexual' throughout the film).

[youtube]MmqNiFJyI28[/youtube]
1950s Education on "Homosexuals" - YouTube

Because that, of course, is how every single one of them is -- sneaky, mentally-ill, and unable to control themselves. And if we're not careful, they'll lure us all into switching teams.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because that, of course, is how every single one of them is -- sneaky, mentally-ill, and unable to control themselves. And if we're not careful, they'll lure us all into switching teams.
Oh my goodness. I didn't think of this. To change our views is part of the evil itself! It is our responsibility to wear our blinders at all times, lest knowledge knock us off our path!

idav

Being
Premium Member
Why do so many conservative Christians try to compare pedophilia with homosexuality?
Cause making homosexuality a sexual orientation opens up a can of worms for pedophilia and bestiality. Are people just born that way? I saw a Special Victims Unit episode where they were doing just that, treating pedophilia as a sexual orientation. Still sexual orientation or not, informed consent is king and kids can't give consent until they are adults. What I wonder is when something is a sexual orientation vs. a sexual deviation.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I'm not sure, since I don't look at the statistics. I do think that the majority of priests aren't predators, but enough of them are that that would be sound advice: not to send kids to confessional alone.

The last time I looked the stats were about the same for any large group working with children - priests - other preachers - teachers - coaches, etc.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I think if they had killed all pedophiles over the last couple thousand years instead of allowing male lust for young stuff, and allowing/encouraging it with their religions and local laws, - we would probably have a very small problem with it now.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I haven't had a great deal of exposure to conservative Christians. In what ways do they compare them?

I have heard slippery slope arguments about legalising gay marriage, but I don't think the intent was comparison or equation.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Actually I always thought the link was because deep down they recognised that children were often being placed in charge of children of the same gender as themselves, thus same sex pedophilia which because of their hang ups about homosexuality in the first place acts to strongly conflate the two issues; it ignores the fact that acts of pedophilia usually correspond to a power relationship and that because of how society has traditionally been set up (in particular with regards to church run schools etc) this has primarily included relationships which are same gender.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I haven't had a great deal of exposure to conservative Christians. In what ways do they compare them?

I have heard slippery slope arguments about legalising gay marriage, but I don't think the intent was comparison or equation.
known quite a few

I've known quite a few conservative Christians and while some of them do indeed believe it, most of them do not combine the two or compare them in any way. I wish no one believed it, but ...

Galen.Iksnudnard

Their ultimate goal is to demonize those with same-sex preferences.

It's the big lie theory. If you make up something that is so out there and keep on saying it, eventually people will start believing it. Often times Christians do not think for themselves, so it is easy to spread propaganda like this once the ball gets rolling so to speak.

averageJOE

zombie
I think if they had killed all pedophiles over the last couple thousand years instead of allowing male lust for young stuff, and allowing/encouraging it with their religions and local laws, - we would probably have a very small problem with it now.

Hey, females have been busted for it too.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
Hey, females have been busted for it too.

Yes, but a drop in the bucket compared to the male.

However, I actually meant ancient religions and patriarchal societies allowing the rape, sexual slavery, Concubinage, and marriage, of extremely young girls (as young as three years old.)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Considering that tens of thousands of girls become child brides every year, by patriarchal and conservative societies who incidentally are also homophobic, I'd say that homosexuality is not the problem.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

perhaps it has something to do with the fact that most peodophiles are men who prey on young males and they proceed to commit homosexual acts on them.?

:shrug: