• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penalties for DUI accident.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
People are aware of the consequences. But the "I" part is far too socially accepted for DUI education to be much effective. So is the "D" really, but that is a somewhat lesser matter.

Personally, I believe that we have reached a point in time when there is a major, mostly unacknowledged demand for reevaluation of the responsibility of the individual towards society. Ever since the 1980s people have become increasingly individualistic, to absurd, utterly unsustainable degrees.

DUI will only stop happening when people at large realize that it is the unavoidable consequence of having pretty much everyone seeing driving and intoxicating oneself as something of inherent rights (which neither is). But we are talking major social change here. Necessary, all too necessary, but quite different from the current trends.

HonestJoe

People are aware of the consequences.
Only at a very high level though. In my experience (sadly) people have a very different attitude towards driving in general after they've witness a major RTC with serious injuries and/or deaths.

In general we choose not to think about unpleasant potential consequences of our actions. We know they exist but we compartmentalise them, which can have both positive and negative consequences.

gerrywilson

Yes Luis, people should realize. People are drinking due to their life problems? I think spirituality is less for people. All should spiritually develop?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
People are very much aware of the consequences. The trick is making people care about it. And not everybody drinks because they have problems. Most people just do it for fun.

gerrywilson

Dear gzusfrk, soon dui will become serious offense. Death due to dui accident have increased, dui law will become serious.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Dear gzusfrk, soon dui will become serious offense. Death due to dui accident have increased, dui law will become serious.
DUI has long been a serious problem, killing tens of thousands on our roads for many decades.
Enforcement has always been lax. Back in the day, when I spent many hours in court dealing
with misbehaving tenants, flocks of DUI cases generally preceded our civil cases. Not once
did I ever see an offender receive jail time. It was a revolving door of drunks being assessed
court costs & fines (several thousand dollars) & taking a sobriety course. In MD (late 1970s),
I was bicycling, & run down by a drunk who told the cops he was disappointed I didn't have a
broken neck (instead of just a broken leg). He lost his license for a year, & spent no time in jail.
We need a culture of fearing the consequences of driving impaired.

Last edited:

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
With all the revenue generated from fines, the states would be shooting a cash cow in the face by locking up DUI offenders. They know exactly what they're doing.

Bismillah

Submit
[youtube]2D0AgovCxAw[/youtube]
Arlington DWI Crash Victims - YouTube

DWI offender crashes into & kills brother Najib, his wife Hannan, & their baby daughter Noor. There are no words to express my anger, this man should be convicted of murder.There are not enough words nor eloquence in this world to express my hate of these creatures.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
How to educate people about dui penalties and make awre about consequence of dui accident.
In my neck of the woods people are well aware of the penalties that are supposed to be imposed for DUI.
However, they know first hand how said laws are not enforced.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Well laws are enforced here! Move to my town.The legal limit ???Is if you are a 170lb male and have two beers you are drunk on the road if you drive.If you get pulled over (for any reason) its an automatic lisence suspension if you refuse a breathalizer.And I think now they are changing that to where you are taken to the hospital and forced to give a blood test.Even without that? Suspension of your drivers license and you go to jail.To wait to be charged and to go to court.Unless someone bails you out you stay in jail until your court date which around here can be as long as a year.So before you even go to court or are convicted you spend a year behind bars.And that's not for killing anyone.That's just for suspicion of a DWI.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well laws are enforced here! Move to my town.The legal limit ???Is if you are a 170lb male and have two beers you are drunk on the road if you drive.If you get pulled over (for any reason) its an automatic lisence suspension if you refuse a breathalizer.And I think now they are changing that to where you are taken to the hospital and forced to give a blood test.Even without that? Suspension of your drivers license and you go to jail.To wait to be charged and to go to court.Unless someone bails you out you stay in jail until your court date which around here can be as long as a year.So before you even go to court or are convicted you spend a year behind bars.And that's not for killing anyone.That's just for suspicion of a DWI.
How long is the driver's license suspended?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I "think" up to 2 years unless you aquire special high risk insurance and you need an attorney to go to court to ask a judge to allow that.Its called an SR22 hearing.
It's too easy on them.
About 10,000 people die on US highways because of drunks.
MADD - Drunk Driving Statistics
This is the same order of magnitude as gun murders. Yet in MI, if you're caught
carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, you'll be in jail for a long time.
Driving drunk should be even more severely punished, since it is more dangerous
& there is no legitimate reason to perpetrate this crime.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Jail time, heavy fines, and loosing your license should be the penalty for just getting caught while drunk driving. For accidents, even more jail time, more fines, and loosing your license even longer in addition to paying for all damages, court fees, etc.
What our society really needs to do is wake up and realize that driving is a privilege (a very dangerous one at that) that should be reserved for those who are responsible, and demand action to take that privilege away from those who are consistently irresponsible with it.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My mother was hit by a drunk driver once, and it was a fairly serious accident. The man apparently had like six previous DUIs in a few states, which is ridiculous.

IMO, first offense should be fines, a long license suspension, and a class. Any further offenses should be real jail time, plus bigger fines and a very long suspension. That's if there is not an accident, just caught under the influence. It should count regardless of which states previous ones happened in- one DUI is a bad enough mistake but if someone has a second DUI then they're being a menace to society regardless of where they did it.

If the person causes an accident, even on the first offense, I think it's even more serious. If someone dies- manslaughter. If someone is seriously injured, the DUI person needs major consequences.