• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Place your bets folks

Which religion(s) do you find more likely?

• Total voters

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
WRONG, it did not take me over a year to convert to Islam. Took 5 seconds.

Please tell me the last time Jews tried to convert outsiders? Jews concern themselves with Jews, they do not proselytize.

Anybody can be a Jew but Jews do not openly convert. You are blatantly wrong here. Judaism is a closed club and the entrance into it is by self perseverance not doorman advertisements.

Any true Jew would have known this. Jews DO NOT SEEK CONVERTS, CONVERTS SEEK JEWS.

One can convert to Judaism, but there is no requirement to do so. However, it is entirely wrong to say we only are concerned about ourselves. To me, if one can convert to another religion in "5 seconds", then maybe that religion isn't much based on education.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
One can convert to Judaism, but there is no requirement to do so. However, it is entirely wrong to say we only are concerned about ourselves. To me, if one can convert to another religion in "5 seconds", then maybe that religion isn't much based on education.

You just repeated what I said. Judaism does not proselytize, this is what many have stated before yet many Jews say it is not true then turn around and say it is. What sort of hypocritical behavior is this?

The process for conversion into Judaism is long and hard, for other religions it is not as it is about "saving one's soul". Education is has nothing to do about religion.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I don't understand your point of contention...
What is "WRONG?"

"Anybody can convert to Judaism if they so desire" is 100% accurate.
It's nice that your five second conversion was good for you.
I think it takes about the same amount of time for Christians too.
Nonetheless, other than being contentious on your part, I don't see the point of your reply.

You are asserting that Jews proselytize, this is blatantly not true. Just because a person converts to a religion does not make them an expert practitioner of it. Christians and Muslims must understand the religion and then convert to start practicing(one can delay both beforehand as well).

Judaism does not do this. There is no way you can be a Jew and assert that Judaism is a proselytizing religion.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The process for conversion into Judaism is long and hard, for other religions it is not as it is about "saving one's soul". Education is has nothing to do about religion.

I would suggest that education has a lot to do with religion if the religion being considered is more than just some sort of fuzzy feeling.

And what makes Judaism a more intensive study than probably most is the issue with the Law, all 613 of them. Once a Jew, a person needs to study these as best as possible because they govern our everyday life.

Secondly, unlike many religions, a Jew who's not a rabbi or ordained in any way can conduct services, shivas, etc. So, I would suggest having those who are educated would be best to handle these.

Also, we are leery of those who may choose to covert on impulse alone, so it's best for them to know what they're fully getting into before they convert. In our history, to convert is to take risks that most other faiths don't have to deal with.

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
You are asserting that Jews proselytize, this is blatantly not true.
Nope. Never made that assertion. Never even implied it.
How YOU came up with that notion is beyond me.
Methinks your vehemence is misplaced....

Just because a person converts to a religion does not make them an expert practitioner of it. Christians and Muslims must understand the religion and then convert to start practicing(one can delay both beforehand as well).

Judaism does not do this. There is no way you can be a Jew and assert that Judaism is a proselytizing religion.
Again, you appear to be conflating two paragraphs above that have absolutely nothing to do with each other and then somehow assert that this demonstrates that Jews cannot proselytize non-Jews to become Jewish.
You are making absolutely no sense.

Nonetheless, anyone can convert to Judaism should they so desire...

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Nope. Never made that assertion. Never even implied it.
How YOU came up with that notion is beyond me.
Methinks your vehemence is misplaced....

Again, you appear to be conflating two paragraphs above that have absolutely nothing to do with each other and then somehow assert that this demonstrates that Jews cannot proselytize non-Jews to become Jewish.
You are making absolutely no sense.

Nonetheless, anyone can convert to Judaism should they so desire...

Untrue. Anyone can convert to Judaism if they so desire.

Your comment here was made reference to denounce that Judaism is not a proselytizing religion. There is only 1 meaning of the argument here

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I would suggest that education has a lot to do with religion if the religion being considered is more than just some sort of fuzzy feeling.

And what makes Judaism a more intensive study than probably most is the issue with the Law, all 613 of them. Once a Jew, a person needs to study these as best as possible because they govern our everyday life.

Secondly, unlike many religions, a Jew who's not a rabbi or ordained in any way can conduct services, shivas, etc. So, I would suggest having those who are educated would be best to handle these.

Also, we are leery of those who may choose to covert on impulse alone, so it's best for them to know what they're fully getting into before they convert. In our history, to convert is to take risks that most other faiths don't have to deal with.

Again as I said before, and I have said this in the past also. Judaism does not have some of the major concepts faced with other religions.

To be a Jew is to enter a whole other culture, to be a Christian or Muslim not so much. Educating oneself is a issue for Judaism, not for other religions.

The 3 major religions of the world are entirely about conversion by emotional impulse not knowledge, the third of in which being Hinduism has both though.

Judaism is not a converting religion because it has no need to. It is a socioreligious force not a evangelical Bible club.

This doe snot change what I said before about Judaism being a NON proselytizing religion. Just because converts are accepted doe snot mean that Jews actively seek converts.

Moishe3rd

Yehudi
Your comment here was made reference to denounce that Judaism is not a proselytizing religion. There is only 1 meaning of the argument here
I take it that neither debate; dialectic; or rhetoric is your first language?

I responded to the comment:
no offence but Judaism is more like a closed country club...no outside members allowed.... besides it doesn't seem to care much about after-life
To which, I did indeed respond:
Untrue. Anyone can convert to Judaism if they so desire.

I do not understand your contentious repetition of your incorrect opinions.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I take it that neither debate; dialectic; or rhetoric is your first language?

I responded to the comment:

To which, I did indeed respond:

I do not understand your contentious repetition of your incorrect opinions.

The argument was over whether or not Judaism is a proselytizing religion. Conversion and proselytizing are not the same as proselytizing implies that a religion actively seeks converts.

Please point out to me the massive efforts of Jews to convert gentiles.

This is the crux of the argument.