• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Theist, Atheist, Agnostic, Other

Which are you: Theist, Atheist, Agnostic, Other (explain)?

• Theist

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • Atheist

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Booko said:
Theist or atheist describes whether you believe (or think) a God exists.

Agnostic can mean "I'm not sure" or even "Who cares?"

But it can also refer to the chance you think there is one can prove it either way. I think it's way beyond "proof" and always will be, so I'm an agnostic.
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense (at least the "I'm not sure" part). Like you, I don't think God's existence or lack of existence can be proven, so I'd have to say that, to an extent, I'm also an agnostic. However, I would probably never use that term to describe myself without going into a long song and dance about how I'm using it, since my own feelings are very strong in favor of God existing. Consequently, I'd have to say I am a theist.

gnostic

The Lost One
If you believe in God and you think he exist, then you would only need to call yourself "theist". No "theist agnostic" or "agnostic theist" is required (I never which is the right order these two words). I think this is too confusing.

I think it is harder to distinguish atheist from agnostic, when people use the word "agnostic atheist", and it is muddier when they use it together.

Booko

Deviled Hen
gnostic said:
If you believe in God and you think he exist, then you would only need to call yourself "theist". No "theist agnostic" or "agnostic theist" is required (I never which is the right order these two words). I think this is too confusing.

I think it is harder to distinguish atheist from agnostic, when people use the word "agnostic atheist", and it is muddier when they use it together.

The use of "agnostic" is confusing all by its lonesome, as I sorta pointed out in an earlier post.

Agnostic can mean "don't know" or could mean "I like to sleep in Sundays."

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
gnostic said:

But an atheist can not know for sure that God doesn't exist any more than a theist can know for sure that He does exist. See what I mean? When people use the word "atheist" to describe someone who doesn't believe in God and the word "theist" to describe someone who does, it seems to me that the only two options have been covered. To say that an "agnostic" is someone who believes it is impossible to know for sure, is a no-brainer in my opinion. We're either theists or atheists or else we're all agnostics with leanings either towards theism or atheism. I don't know if I'm making sense or not, but that's how I see it.

Peace4all

doppleganger said:
I'm an Apatheist.

I personally find that questions like "Does God Exist?" or "Do You Believe in God?" are neither useful, nor interesting, because they ask me to speculate about the nature of some external "thing" that apparently nobody can, or is supposed to (if I read most religions right), meaningfully define by any reference other than their own subjective experience. If the question is understood as "Do you believe I had an experience of something I call 'God'?" the answer, of course, depends on whether you tell me you did - in which case, I'll just take your word for it. But I don't think that's what most people mean when they ask these questions.

Now, if you ask me whether I believe "dog" exists, that I might be able to answer. Unlike "God," of course, it is permissible and possible to discuss our subjective experiences associated with "dog," and reach some reasonable facsimile of shared meaning (though there are no guarantees ).

the doppleganger
Are neither useful nor interesting... Seriously buddy the question of is there a god is super super important

cardero

Citizen Mod
I would say other, I believe that we are all gods and that the only difference is in our purpose, placement and understanding.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Katzpur said:
But an atheist can not know for sure that God doesn't exist any more than a theist can know for sure that He does exist. See what I mean? When people use the word "atheist" to describe someone who doesn't believe in God and the word "theist" to describe someone who does, it seems to me that the only two options have been covered. To say that an "agnostic" is someone who believes it is impossible to know for sure, is a no-brainer in my opinion. We're either theists or atheists or else we're all agnostics with leanings either towards theism or atheism. I don't know if I'm making sense or not, but that's how I see it.

Ah, but I maintain that I can and do know for sure that God exists.

I just can't "prove" it to anyone else, and certainly not in any stringent fashion.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Peace4all said:
Are neither useful nor interesting... Seriously buddy the question of is there a god is super super important
Okay. What is "God"? By which I mean, what are the attributes of the thing "God," by which I might have an experience of "God" as a thing?

the doppleganger

Fluffy

A fool
I vary. I'm in an atheist "mood" today. I don't really know. I normally refer to myself as a theist because I have a religion and believe in the existence of a God.

I personally find that questions like "Does God Exist?" or "Do You Believe in God?" are neither useful, nor interesting, because they ask me to speculate about the nature of some external "thing" that apparently nobody can, or is supposed to (if I read most religions right), meaningfully define by any reference other than their own subjective experience.

Seriously? I find such questions to be useful and interesting for those exact same reasons :D.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Fluffy said:
Seriously? I find such questions to be useful and interesting for those exact same reasons :D.

I find the question "why?" someone asks to be very interesting and useful. But as a question to ask of myself, "Does 'God' exist?" is not very interesting or useful.

the doppleganger

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Theist because my mind and everything around me are signs for the existance of one sole Creator and lord of the universe.

Peace

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
****Admin post****

19.) Proselytizing will not be tolerated. This forum is for sharing, discussing and understanding other religions and ideas, not converting others to your individual religion or beliefs.

Thank you.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Other

I believe we are dreaming our world/reality; that our world is an entirely illusory, Matrix-like construct.
It is perfectly possible to dream a reality ruled by Jehova, Odin, Krishna -- or by no-one.

Your dream is your (subjective) reality.

You're all right.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
retrorich said:
And what, pray tell, is that? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
I don't know that there is a "god," but I think something made the universe and nature. Having been brought up to believe in a deity, sometime it's easy to resort back to that thinking. However, I'm wide open to other possibilities as well.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Booko said:
Ah, but I maintain that I can and do know for sure that God exists.
As do I. But atheists are always saying, "I know for sure that God doesn't exist." How is it possible that theists know one thing "for sure," and atheists know the opposite thing "for sure"? I guess that's what I was asking.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I don't believe in any gods or goddesses since I've never had contact with any of them, but I've been in touch with spirits several times. So I guess I'm an atheist that believes in the supernatural. :D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Katzpur said:
As do I. But atheists are always saying, "I know for sure that God doesn't exist." How is it possible that theists know one thing "for sure," and atheists know the opposite thing "for sure"? I guess that's what I was asking.

Some militant athiests say this, but your ordinary athiest simply maintains that there is no more hard evidence for God than there is for the tooth fairy, so accepts neither.