• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis criticised for questioning Nato and weapons sales

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, I like puppies and rainbows. And if unicorns existed, I would like them, too.
I don't know what you're getting at when you say suggesting that defense and attacking have irrelevant differences. Can you clarify?
That's the impression I get from the Pope's comment.
He questions Ukraine's defense & assistance.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
We can help even non-NATO countries if we so choose.
Obligation isn't the only possible motive. As for dissuading
the Russians, this is a compelling argument....
Unconstitutional. Intervening in third countries militarily is unconstitutional.
But I do know Italian representatives spit on our Constitution on a daily basis...because they have a Machiavellian and unchristian approach to their duty.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
[QUOTE="Revoltingest, post: 7716253, member: 22490" As for dissuading
R.1acdf942eea8aa4e36972d2d3661c42e
[/QUOTE]

Yesterday Maria Zacharova, spokesperson of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that the West has been isolating Russia since the early 21st century. Wickedly, inexorably, maliciously.
So it is the West who has started to antagonize Russia, before all this conflict started.
Before Putin.
Before the Crimea question.

So... do I need to believe that the West is in good faith?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
[QUOTE="Revoltingest, post: 7716253, member: 22490" As for dissuading
R.1acdf942eea8aa4e36972d2d3661c42e

Yesterday Maria Zacharova, spokesperson of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that the West has been isolating Russia since the early 21st century. Wickedly, inexorably, maliciously.
So it is the West who has started to antagonize Russia, before all this conflict started.
Before Putin.
Before the Crimea question.

So... do I need to believe that the West is in good faith?[/QUOTE]
Poor Russia.
Always the victim.
Who has invaded them (other than Hitler)?
Have you not noticed that Russia antagonizes
many of its neighbors, eg, NATO, Japan, USA,
Crimea, Ukraine, Finland, Moldova?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Unconstitutional. Intervening in third countries militarily is unconstitutional.
But I do know Italian representatives spit on our Constitution on a daily basis...because they have a Machiavellian and unchristian approach to their duty.

What exactly would be unconstitutional?
What kind of intervention?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What of your claim of constitutional violation?

Article 11. My country cannot go into war unless
1) its own territory is attacked, just to defend itself
2) the territory of an ally is attacked, just to defend it.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Article 11. My country cannot go into enter war unless
1) its own territory is attacked, just to defend itself
2) the territory of an ally is attacked, just to defend it.
Your constitution doesn't really apply to Russia,
Ukraine, or USA. But is Ukraine not Italy's ally?
Could you not declare it one?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The only thing we can do is to try to dissuade the Russians.
But...since no NATO country has been attacked, my country has zero military obligations in this conflict. By international law and by constitutional law.

No empathy for the people of Ukraine?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Pope Francis have been criticised for questioning Nato and weapons sales in an interview with Italy’s Corriere della Sera

Pope Francis criticised for questioning Nato and weapons sales
I strongly felt and still feel that the Ukrainian leaders should have opted for nonviolence so as to minimize casualties, and then worked with noncooperation or limited cooperation. I find these approaches more compatible with the Gospel.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Assisting Ukrainians through humanitarian aid, and through diplomacy.
Trying to find a peace solution
Humanitarian aid would only make Putin's job
of conquering the country easier, ie, he wouldn't
have to provide any services other than killing
them & destroying their buildings.

Pacifism only works if the aggressor respects it.
Otherwise it's hogs marching off to slaughter.

amorphous_constellation

The deliberate obliviousness of the West to its colonial and criminal history has led to self-righteous justifications for all manner of irresponsibility from NATO and the U.S. in particular when handling the situation in Ukraine. Countries like the U.S., France, and the U.K. are now pretending to be peacemakers when they have been just as aggressive and criminal as Russia throughout multiple points in their history, up to and including the 21st century. Too many people in the Global South have known and experienced the effects of this.

I still feel like I should read more articles on the unrest in colombia from a few years ago, which side was the u.s. on for that? I don't think anyone here even bothered to make a thread on that.

I agree with aiding Ukrainians with weapons, but I disagree that NATO acted in the best way they could to contain the escalation prior to the invasion.

I'd rather send the 40 billion to Mexico or something, or to others on this side of the ocean, to help give them infrastructure, if we must send 40 billion to a foreign country. I watched a video earlier that talked about how they finally have ambulances now in the parts of Mexico in the countryside, but they lack equipment and trained personnel in them. Whatever their problems are, it sounds like the 40 billion might help them, and help us, since there surely are mutual benefits to having neighbors that are doing well

We also have people here too, in america, that do suffer sufficiently enough as well, to probably need aid. Plus, I think putin is crazy, and I don't like this game we are playing here, possibly now thinking about sending longer range weapons, if I am hearing the news on this correctly. How close do you want to get, to giving a crazy person an 'excuse' to do worse things.

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

Look, russia has 6.6 million square miles of territory. The u.s., apparently has 3.5 million. If you can't figure out what to do with 6.6 million square miles, then you have work on things. Italy has .1 million square miles, but they were able to create a prosperous place like Rome. So then Russia should have room to create like 60 romes

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I like them, too.

That's the impression I get from the Pope's comment.
He questions Ukraine's defense & assistance.

I didn't see that he was questioning Ukraine's right to defend itself. He was just questioning whether NATO was doing the right thing by sending weapons. Maybe they could have tried to mediate or help them negotiate a truce rather than sending arms. Trying make peace sounds like something Jesus might have done.