• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis criticised for questioning Nato and weapons sales

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ultimately, it doesn't matter though if NATO could have done anything different to prevent the escalation on this case, since it wasn't the one that invaded Ukraine.

True, although NATO hasn't exactly been an innocent bystander in all of this either. There might have been some things they could have done differently.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I like them, too.

I didn't see that he was questioning Ukraine's right to defend itself. He was just questioning whether NATO was doing the right thing by sending weapons.
That is absolutely necessary for Ukraine to defend itself.
Without western weapons sent in, Putin would've rolled
right over the country by now. Next, Moldova or Finland, eh.
Maybe they could have tried to mediate or help them negotiate a truce rather than sending arms. Trying make peace sounds like something Jesus might have done.
Yeah...Putin would be willing to accept some compromise
if the west talked more, & made it easy for Putin to kill all
the Ukrainian "Nazis". Not a plausible scenario.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That is absolutely necessary for Ukraine to defend itself.
Without western weapons sent in, Putin would've rolled
right over the country by now. Next, Moldova or Finland, eh.

Yeah...Putin would be willing to accept some compromise
if the west talked more, & made it easy for Putin to kill all
the Ukrainian "Nazis". Not a plausible scenario.

We don't know any of this for certain. This is all just speculation. Considering the failures the Russians have had thus far, they might be willing to talk truce - or at least maybe a cease fire.

If they're hoping for Putin's unconditional surrender, then I don't think that's going to happen. So, they either talk truce, or fight to the bitter end.

Shaul

Premium Member
When the pope relocates from his hideaway in the Vatican to the front lines in the Ukraine I’ll give import to his call. Until then, he can go give a few Hail Marys and see to his own peccadilloes.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Look, russia has 6.6 million square miles of territory. The u.s., apparently has 3.5 million. If you can't figure out what to do with 6.6 million square miles, then you have work on things. Italy has .1 million square miles, but they were able to create a prosperous place like Rome. So then Russia should have room to create like 60 romes
Sorry...I did not understand the metaphor.
Really...have mercy.:)

By the way, Moscow is the third Rome.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
When the pope relocates from his hideaway in the Vatican to the front lines in the Ukraine I’ll give import to his call. Until then, he can go give a few Hail Marys and see to his own peccadilloes.
The Pope just invited people to peace.

ajay0

Do you favor or oppose assisting Ukraine
fighting off the Russian invaders?

I favor the prevention of such scenarios based on political games and machiavellian thought process seeking the further enrichment of a few rich opportunistic businessmen at the expense of the masses disempowered through high inflation rates and war.

ajay0

I strongly felt and still feel that the Ukrainian leaders should have opted for nonviolence so as to minimize casualties, and then worked with noncooperation or limited cooperation. I find these approaches more compatible with the Gospel.

I am glad that you had voiced such thoughts.

Yes, a leaders first duty is to protect his people and nation . I find even the bloodshed of a single person through injury inexcusable due to this war.

Ukrainian leadership could have opted for a middle path which would have enabled them to get the friendly alliance of both U.S - western europe as well as their neighbor Russia with whom they have economic and industrial partnerships.

They could have even backed off from Nato when Russia showed its preparations for war, and display non-alignment in a tactful and diplomatic manner . This could have prevented the war and bloodshed, refugee crisis and heavy inflation rates the world is witnessing at present.

In the second world war, switzerland and spain escaped much of the damage and destruction suffered by the rest of europe by being neutral and nonaligned.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We don't know any of this for certain. This is all just speculation. Considering the failures the Russians have had thus far, they might be willing to talk truce - or at least maybe a cease fire.

If they're hoping for Putin's unconditional surrender, then I don't think that's going to happen. So, they either talk truce, or fight to the bitter end.
Of course it's speculation.
But Ukraine has a stronger bargaining
position than if it were defenseless.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I favor the prevention of such scenarios based on political games and machiavellian thought process seeking the further enrichment of a few rich opportunistic businessmen at the expense of the masses disempowered through high inflation rates and war.
OK.