• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pope made homophobic slur

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
The pope made an horrendous homophobic slur

I'm not angry I'm disappointed

It sends out the wrong message, that such language is acceptable

He should have known better

Shame on him!

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
It's suggested he didn't realize how offensive it was.

I find that hilarious. He didn't do it on purpose.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Shame on him!
No surprise here.

ciao

- viole

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Shame on him!

What did you expect?

There's a reason why the two go-to sarcastic responses that mean "the answer to your question is obviously yes" are "does a bear **** in the woods?" and "is the Pope Catholic?"

The Pope is Catholic. He will often express Catholic ideas, including homophobic Catholic ideas.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
What did you expect?

There's a reason why the two go-to sarcastic responses that mean "the answer to your question is obviously yes" are "does a bear **** in the woods?" and "is the Pope Catholic?"

The Pope is Catholic. He will often express Catholic ideas, including homophobic Catholic ideas.
I wasn't expecting the slur, but what I am expecting is for atheists to jump all over this to **** on Catholicism.

Hecks, we already have some doing exactly that in this very thread.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
For those who didn't bother reading the article:

Some suggested the comments were an honest translation mistake for the Pope, for whom Italian is a second language, and that he 'did not know' how offensive the word was.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For those who didn't bother reading the article:

Some suggested the comments were an honest translation mistake for the Pope, for whom Italian is a second language, and that he 'did not know' how offensive the word was.

Did you bother to read it?

The issue isn't just with a single word. Replace that particular slur with a more neutral term for a homosexual person and what he said is still derogatory:

Italian media has quoted the Pope as having said: 'Look, there is already an air of f*****ry going around that isn't good.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yawn. These are standard views, not slurs.
That was my point earlier: the homophobia the Pope expressed in that recent speech - and many other times in the past - is just standard Catholic doctrine.

This doesn't nullify what the Pope said; it condemns the Catholic Church.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you bother to read it?

The issue isn't just with a single word. Replace that particular slur with a more neutral term for a homosexual person and what he said is still derogatory:
Yes, I can see some having an issue with the way he worded it.

Again though, he is an old man. He phrases things the way my over 80 year old grandpa does; he's not deliberately trying to be offensive.

He's also saying that gay men are plenty in this institution and allowing more gay men in where they are meant to be celibate in a place full of men is not exactly helpful for them.

It isn't good that there is gay sex going on there. Somewhat obviously for Catholics.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Guys...come on...
the word he used...I mean...half of Italy has been laughing since this early morning. Non-stop.
;)
I guess he (allegedly) used a slur that means to target those passive, feminized priests.

Maybe implying that those hyper-masculine active gays are okay?

I mean..according to a book written by a journalist, a Monsignor makes his "nocturnal pals" call him Jessica.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
What did you expect?

There is a difference between disapproving of something and using hateful language

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That was my point earlier: the homophobia the Pope expressed in that recent speech - and many other times in the past - is just standard Catholic doctrine.

This doesn't nullify what the Pope said; it condemns the Catholic Church.

Do you have any evidence as evidence for it? I mean I understand it using norms and feelings, but to me it is politics. But that is opinion and not evidence.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Guys...come on...
the word he used...I mean...half of Italy has been laughing since this early morning. Non-stop.
;)
I guess he (allegedly) used a slur that means to target those passive, feminized priests.

Maybe implying that those hyper-masculine active gays are okay?

I mean..according to a book written by a journalist, a Monsignor makes his "nocturnal pals" call him Jessica.
It's just the usual suspects who want to **** all over the Catholic Church for not being as liberal as they are and throw around words like 'homophobic'.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes, I can see some having an issue with the way he worded it.

Again though, he is an old man. He phrases things the way my over 80 year old grandpa does; he's not deliberately trying to be offensive.

Do your 80-year-old grandpa's outdated opinions end up influencing policy that affects millions or billions of lives?

He's also saying that gay men are plenty in this institution and allowing more gay men in where they are meant to be celibate in a place full of men is not exactly helpful for them.

It isn't good that there is gay sex going on there. Somewhat obviously for Catholics.

Celibacy is a discipline, not a doctrine. Not all priests in communion with Rome are required to be celibate.

The issue really does come down to the Church's homophobia and its position on same-sex marriage.