• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pope made homophobic slur

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Hard not to see this as a low-hanging motte-and-bailey.

The Pope isn't the average person, he's a leader who represents an organization that has sided against queer people throughout it's history. The statement he made is obviously homophobic even if you tab out the F slur for an acceptable term for gay people.
He's also an elderly man speaking his second language.

It looks to me more as though some rabidly pro-LGBT people are using this as a stick to beat him with completely unnecessarily.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
He's also an elderly man speaking his second language.

It looks to me more as though some rabidly pro-LGBT people are using this as a stick to beat him with completely unnecessarily.
I think I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but think he should issue some clarification

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Of course it is.

They are. Unethical, too.

Nobody's the villain of their own story.

If you feel discomfort in discussing the Catholic Church's homophobia because you indentify with their homophobic views and doctrines, some self-reflection is probably in order.

As you may know, I am Roman Catholic. I chose the Roman Catholic Church because its disciplines bring out the best in me and work for me. I don't agree with it 100 percent but I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt where I have questions. Anyway, my point is this: Just because I don't personally go along with same sex marriage and all that, doesn't mean that I would vote that way. My point is that I do not want the STATE mandating to me how I am supposed to apply something in my own moral life. That's between God and me, and frankly, no one else. For instance, I am a widow who lost my husband nearly four years ago. I personally have chosen not to have sex outside of marriage, but that's a personal choice FOR ME, not for anyone else.

Hey, I had to get ready this morning for a doctor's appointment and it took me quite a while! LOL but whatever. It's me., my choice, etc.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
are using this as a stick to beat him with
That's an awfully loaded way of describing some of the mildest criticism of the Pope, which is a harsh contrast to the minimization of his stances on gay marriage and other lgbt issues.

He lobbies the Catholic world to oppose the main demands of LGBT people - but how dare we be upset that he said a slur?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
That's an awfully loaded way of describing some of the mildest criticism of the Pope, which is a harsh contrast to the minimization of his stances on gay marriage and other lgbt issues.

He lobbies the Catholic world to oppose the main demands of LGBT people - but how dare we be upset that he said a slur?
Yes, because anyone who knows anything about Francis is aware that he's been the most inclusive Pope yet and it is entirely out of character for him to say something like this.

But let's not notice any of that nuance of character.

Of course he is not exactly pro-LGBT, he is a Roman Catholic Pope. I get some of you guys aren't going to be happy until everyone can do whatever they want sexually, but very few people in the real world believe that. Stop expecting them to change according to a minority.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No, I identify with the Church's traditional teachings, which you rather obviously despise and make that clear when you come to every thread which mentions the RCC to show us just how much you hate it. We get that.

I only despise the teachings that hurt people.

The fact that you think your morality is somehow objectively better has no proof at all and I don't care whatsoever what you think about my views.

If I thought you were receptive to having your mind changed, I might do more than just vent.

Giving me a name that makes me out to be the villain is just name calling and I don't take it seriously. When you do it to others I don't take that seriously either, because it's just ad hominem with no rationale behind it other than your obvious hatred of the Church and your social liberalism.

FYI:

Ad hom: you're a bad person, therefore you're wrong.
Not an ad hom: you're a bad person. Also, you're wrong.

I get you believe your views are somehow 'right' and that you will namecall anyone who disagrees, but I'm not taking this schoolyard behaviour seriously.

Give it up.
Calling me a homophobe because I have traditional views is nothing new. I've been called all the names under the sun.

I didn't call you a homophobe. I said that some Church teachings are homophobic, then you said you agree with those teachings.

I wish you'd stop coming into every thread about the RCC and going on about how much you hate it. Leave us alone.

Homophobia is right on topic in a thread about how the head of a homophobic church said homophobic things.

If you don't want to hear voices that disagree with you, Same Faith Debates, the DIRs, and the private forums might be better places for you.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I only despise the teachings that hurt people.

If I thought you were receptive to having your mind changed, I might do more than just vent.

FYI:

Ad hom: you're a bad person, therefore you're wrong.
Not an ad hom: you're a bad person. Also, you're wrong.

I didn't call you a homophobe. I said that some Church teachings are homophobic, then you said you agree with those teachings.

Homophobia is right on topic in a thread about how the head of a homophobic church said homophobic things.

If you don't want to hear voices that disagree with you, Same Faith Debates, the DIRs, and the private forums might be better places for you.
No, I don't want to hear voices accusing the Church of homophobia.

That assumes your moral views are the proper moral views and no institution may vary and if they do they must be xyz and this xyz name = bad.

You have a name you use to call people who disagree with your views.

I want you to stop doing that, where you understand what these views have been for thousands of years and what their basis is.

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
anyone who knows anything about Francis is aware that he's been the most inclusive Pope yet
Anyone who knows anything about Popes know that this is a low bar.
Stop expecting them to change according to a minority.
'Stop expecting them to change' is an easy stance to for you to take when they oppose my rights but not yours.
Good day.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Anyone who knows anything about Popes know that this is a low bar.

'Stop expecting them to change' is an easy stance to for you to take when they oppose my rights but not yours.
Good day.
Unless you are part of the RCC, the Pope's views and RCC doctrine have nil effect on you at all.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I think the Church's positions on same-sex marriage and gay clergy are unfortunate and harmful, but I doubt that the pope would knowingly use a homophobic slur after doing so much work to try to make the Church more LGBT-friendly compared to its past positions. (He has received a lot of criticism over allowing blessing of same-sex couples, for example.) At the very least, it wouldn't be consistent or make any sense from a PR standpoint.

Just to add another thought, he was in a closed meeting and could have considered himself "among friends" so to speak, and therefore comfortable allowing his true feelings to show.

Obviously all this is "maybe" stuff, I can't read his mind.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No, I don't want to hear voices accusing the Church of homophobia.

That assumes your moral views are the proper moral views and no institution may vary and if they do they must be xyz and this xyz name = bad.

Not really. If someone wants to argue why hating LGBTQ people is a morally good thing, they're welcome to try.

Calling out homophobia for what it is only implies a moral position if we're taking it as given that homophobia is bad. Since you seem to be responding to the word that way, I'll congratulate you on taking your first step.

You have a name you use to call people who disagree with your views.

I want you to stop doing that, where you understand what these views have been for thousands of years and what their basis is.
Oh, I understand it. The basis for a lot of religious homophobia is misogyny when it comes right down to it.

When women are seen as less than men, a man "lowering himself" by "taking the role of a woman" or a woman "rising above her station" by "taking the role of a man" are incompatible with the social order.

Marriage is traditionally a breeding arrangement - hence the traditional rule prohibiting sex outside of marriage - and same-sex couples can't have kids of their own without help.

Marriage is also traditionally an ownership transaction, and in a context where men are the owners and women are the property, same-sex marriages don't make sense.

Same-sex marriage only works in a paradigm that has room for marriage as a partnership of equals. Many traditional religious paradigms don't have room for this.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Just to add another thought, he was in a closed meeting and could have considered himself "among friends" so to speak, and therefore comfortable allowing his true feelings to show.

Obviously all this is "maybe" stuff, I can't read his mind.

I think that's another possibility, although I suspect that even in a closed meeting, he would probably be aware of the potential PR issues from having a slur reported by anyone who attended the meeting. Surely he would be aware that his status as the pope would put him under a magnifying glass and speak accordingly.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I think I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but think he should issue some clarification
Well, that's better. As a gay man myself, I must say it, Pope Francis has been a better friend to our community than any of predecessors. This must be extraordinarily difficult for him, given the role that he must play, and the conservative forces in the curia that despise much of what he has been trying to do. We shall not see his like again in my lifetime.

Yes, clarification would be nice, but I don't need it so badly that I'd wish on him the pain of trying to satisfy all sides at once, where there is much intractability on all of those sides (yes, including strident LGBTQ+'s).

Last edited:

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Not really. If someone wants to argue why hating LGBTQ people is a morally good thing, they're welcome to try.

Calling out homophobia for what it is only implies a moral position if we're taking it as given that homophobia is bad. Since you seem to be responding to the word that way, I'll congratulate you on taking your first step.

Oh, I understand it. The basis for a lot of religious homophobia is misogyny when it comes right down to it.

When women are seen as less than men, a man "lowering himself" by "taking the role of a woman" or a woman "rising above her station" by "taking the role of a man" are incompatible with the social order.

Marriage is traditionally a breeding arrangement - hence the traditional rule prohibiting sex outside of marriage - and same-sex couples can't have kids of their own without help.

Marriage is also traditionally an ownership transaction, and in a context where men are the owners and women are the property, same-sex marriages don't make sense.

Same-sex marriage only works in a paradigm that has room for marriage as a partnership of equals. Many traditional religious paradigms don't have room for this.
Yes, I said you understand.

But you seem to believe that using words like this are in any way useful. When you use them, you are implicating that the belief is in itself wrong, despite your understanding of their reasons for it.

You can disagree with those reasons, but calling them slurs and derogatory names indicating a deficiency in their morality is not making you look any better than how you see them.

People are allowed to have different beliefs without those beliefs being undermined by people calling them 'phobe' just because they think their morality is bad.

I don't have a derogatory term for people who approve same-sex marriages; I just call them 'woke', which is a term they gave themselves.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I look forward to the day when this will be true.
Welcome to that day.

I can tell you that where I am the RCC has absolutely no say in my life whatsoever. So maybe it's your own apparent obsession with the RCC that is the problem.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Unless you are part of the RCC, the Pope's views and RCC doctrine have nil effect on you at all.

Be careful. Historically, the Catholic church has had a huge effect on laws passed in countries where they hold power. And these laws apply to everyone, not just Catholics. And don't say that's all changed. The SCOTUS now has 6 Catholics out of the 9 justices. And look what they did to reproductive rights. For everyone.

An interesting (true) story. Way back, it's very different now I believe, I knew an Irishman who lived and worked in London. Whenever he went to Ireland, he would take as many condoms as he could, to sell at a huge profit. They were virtually unavailable in Ireland.