• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pope made homophobic slur

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Do your 80-year-old grandpa's outdated opinions end up influencing policy that affects millions or billions of lives?

Celibacy is a discipline, not a doctrine. Not all priests in communion with Rome are required to be celibate.

The issue really does come down to the Church's homophobia and its position on same-sex marriage.
Ohhh my Goddddd.

Not supporting gay marriage is not homophobia.

You just want to say it is to make out those who don't support it to be morally backwards.

We are not.

Go away with this crap.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There is a difference between disapproving of something and using hateful language

This is the Pope. His opinions aren't just a matter of personal disapproval; his opinions shape policy that has wide-ranging consequences for countless real peoples' lives.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
This is the Pope. His opinions aren't just a matter of personal disapproval; his opinions shape policy that has wide-ranging consequences for countless real peoples' lives.

Yeah, that is the point. We are playing opinions including yours.
But that matters how we all do it and no just the Pope..

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Absolutely

So he should be more careful

His words could inspire very real violence

I'd have expected him to be more responsible

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Ohhh my Goddddd.

Not supporting gay marriage is not homophobia.

Of course it is.

You just want to say it is to make out those who don't support it to be morally backwards.

They are. Unethical, too.

We are not.

Nobody's the villain of their own story.

Go away with this crap.

If you feel discomfort in discussing the Catholic Church's homophobia because you indentify with their homophobic views and doctrines, some self-reflection is probably in order.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Absolutely

So he should be more careful

His words could inspire very real violence

I'd have expected him to be more responsible

There's no good way to express his core idea ("homosexuality is not good and I think we should be unwelcoming to gay men," basically) regardless of the specific terms used.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course it is.

If you feel discomfort in discussing the Catholic Church's homophobia because you indentify with their homophobic views and doctrines, some self-reflection is probably in order.
No, I identify with the Church's traditional teachings, which you rather obviously despise and make that clear when you come to every thread which mentions the RCC to show us just how much you hate it. We get that.

The fact that you think your morality is somehow objectively better has no proof at all and I don't care whatsoever what you think about my views. Giving me a name that makes me out to be the villain is just name calling and I don't take it seriously. When you do it to others I don't take that seriously either, because it's just ad hominem with no rationale behind it other than your obvious hatred of the Church and your social liberalism. I get you believe your views are somehow 'right' and that you will namecall anyone who disagrees, but I'm not taking this schoolyard behaviour seriously.

Give it up.

Calling me a homophobe because I have traditional views is nothing new. I've been called all the names under the sun.

I wish you'd stop coming into every thread about the RCC and going on about how much you hate it. Leave us alone.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Of course it is.

You are aware that we have left evidence and are in the land of opinion in the end.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps leaders that accidentally use homophobic slurs ought not to be consulted as authorities on the discussion of LGBT issues.
People aren't allowed to make mistakes in their second language?

That's pretty harsh.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The pope made an horrendous homophobic slur

I'm not angry I'm disappointed

It sends out the wrong message, that such language is acceptable

He should have known better

Shame on him!

The Vatican has issued an apology:

I think the Church's positions on same-sex marriage and gay clergy are unfortunate and harmful, but I doubt that the pope would knowingly use a homophobic slur after doing so much work to try to make the Church more LGBT-friendly compared to its past positions. (He has received a lot of criticism over allowing blessing of same-sex couples, for example.) At the very least, it wouldn't be consistent or make any sense from a PR standpoint.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
And his opinions are more liberal than any other pope during my lifetime. But it's never good enough until someone comes to align entirely with our own views, is it?

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
People aren't allowed to make mistakes in their second language?
Hard not to see this as a low-hanging motte-and-bailey.

The Pope isn't the average person, he's a leader who represents an organization that has sided against queer people throughout it's history. The statement he made is obviously homophobic even if you tab out the F slur for an acceptable term for gay people.