• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Posit: The Concept of the Supernatural Cannot Exist.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
other opinions are what challenge other opinions.
But thanks.

My evidence beyond my opinion would be; the evidence from mystical and paranormal experiences, the teachings of many masters of a wisdom tradition. This is evidence (not proof which; no one has a right to claim).
Well ok, but that is a different category of evidence. I meant empirical evidence, as opposed to anecdotal. You would need empirical evidence to present a challenge to materialism. Without it there is nothing to challenge. I hope that makes sense to you. SUBJECTIVE evidence does not challenge materialism, only empirical evidence can.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well ok, but that is a different category of evidence. I meant empirical evidence, as opposed to anecdotal. You would need empirical evidence to present a challenge to materialism. Without it there is nothing to challenge. I hope that makes sense to you. SUBJECTIVE evidence does not challenge materialism, only empirical evidence can.
Anecdotal evidence are people's empirical experiences.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Great. Rather than trust me - there is a great wiki page, just search; Define empirical evidence.

It refers to data from observation and experiment.

See also: Empirical evidence: A definition - Live Science
Correct. I am referring to people's observations.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Please re-read. It was an 'or' statement; observation OR experimentation.

Then demonstrate that you've had these observations. Demonstrate something. You're just making unsupported claims. A better definition than you provided for empirical is "capable of being verified or disproved by observation or experiment". How can you verify the things you claim?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why does there have to be a scientific principle behind an event, person, or thing for it to be considered natural? Also, why do we have to use what we can prove natural by scientific principle in order to disprove the existence of something or someone that does not meet the same criteria?

There is no such thing as supernatural. All is natural, spiritual to physical, to whatever. We have to be comfortable with what we do not know and/or what exists that cannot be proven by scientific principle or method. If we only think reality is just as far as our noes goes, how will you get anywhere without tripping?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Whether we mean 'supernatural' in terms of religious miracles, or whether we mean it in terms of ghosts or other such events, I posit that the concept of the supernatural cannot exist.

Conjecture:

Anything with the label 'supernatural' which is found to be a real part of the physical world (let us say someone proves ghosts exist), then whatever is behind that must be underpinned by a scientific principle and must, therefore, be a natural occurrence (assuming that no technology is the cause).

Anything natural cannot be supernatural, and anything supernatural which is proveable is, by default, natural, meaning that the concept fo the supernatural cannot exist.

Discuss.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Then demonstrate that you've had these observations. Demonstrate something. You're just making unsupported claims. A better definition than you provided for empirical is "capable of being verified or disproved by observation or experiment". How can you verify the things you claim?
Anecdotal evidence is considered for quantity, quality and consistency. Anecdotal evidence, intelligently considered, is factored into my worldview.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Anecdotal evidence is considered for quantity, quality and consistency. Anecdotal evidence, intelligently considered, is factored into my worldview.

Anecdotal experience is largely considered the least reliable form of "evidence" available.