• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible to be a Moral Atheist?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
As an atheist, I do not believe in a set of moral standards given to us by an omnipotent creator. This being the case, I regularly steal whatever I want, as I have no moral reason not to. And if someone ****** me off, I just off them - I mean, there are no morals, so why not? Additionally, I frequently attend drug-fueled orgies - as I might as well do what feels good, right?

I'm wondering whether other atheists are somehow capable, or willing, to live moral lives, or whether the rest of you simply do whatever you want, whenever you want, to whomever you please, since there are no moral consquences.

If you do live by some set of morals, why bother?

Thank you.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I regularly steal whatever I want, as I have no moral reason not to. And if someone ****** me off, I just off them - I mean, there are no morals, so why not? Additionally, I frequently attend drug-fueled orgies - as I might as well do what feels good, right?
Go on. You're really a TV evangelist aren't you? :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I frequently lust after women in my heart. At least I think I do. I don't know... I'm getting kind of old and can't quite remember my last lusting. But I'm sure it was a hearty one.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
As an atheist, I do not believe in a set of moral standards given to us by an omnipotent creator. This being the case, I regularly steal whatever I want, as I have no moral reason not to. And if someone ****** me off, I just off them - I mean, there are no morals, so why not? Additionally, I frequently attend drug-fueled orgies - as I might as well do what feels good, right?

I'm wondering whether other atheists are somehow capable, or willing, to live moral lives, or whether the rest of you simply do whatever you want, whenever you want, to whomever you please, since there are no moral consquences.

Thank you.

I removed the yoke of the gods from my shoulders to live a life of satisfaction and hedonism with no burdens.

But, seriously. I think the best source we can ever draw morality from is our human psyche, we are the social organism of this planet who have erected cities and civiliaztions and we are the ones who need to always grow into maturity in order to maintain them, and to keep our societies intact and functioning. at some point, we will have to mature out of external sources of morality which do not involve our own integrity and resourceful character.
Human beings should always be at ease with the simple realization that they are responsible for their actions, they can manage their thoughts, and they are the deriving force behind social phenomenas.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Thank you.

I agree. Because, like god ,there is no such thing as real life consequences, either. You can stick your hand in a fire and not get burnt, and you can wrong others and not worry about them retaliating. :cool:

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I frequently lust after women in my heart. At least I think I do. I don't know... I'm getting kind of old and can't quite remember my last lusting. But I'm sure it was a hearty one.

I have you pegged too :D:D
fr-jack.jpg

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Considering some of the atheists I've known, as well as some of the theists I've known, I've come up with a theory;

Oftentimes, God leads certain people into theism because He knows that without the idea of someone looking over their shoulder constantly, they would behave like absolute monsters.

On the other hand, maybe atheists are those of His kids who've matured enough to where they don't require constant adult supervision in order to behave like human beings.

It's just a theory, and I don't mean to imply that it's true in every situation, just a damn lot of situations (and I'm a theist).

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Let me just put this out there:

There is nothing wrong with stealing from rich people or big corperations which won't even miss what you stole. I think as long as the thing won't be missed, it is okay to steal it. For instance, if someone steals a dime(ten cents) from my wallet, I won't even know, so that's okay. If someone steals a $5 bill from my wallet, however, I will know, so that's not okay. If you steal a pack of pens from Walmart, they won't know.(unless they catch you on camera) because they are so rich and they have so many pens. So there's no measurable harm done.

I don't kill people or anything though, so there's that. There are a few people, however, that if I knew I wouldn't get in trouble and I knew they wouldn't turn on me and kill me instead, I would kill them. Some people deserve no less than death, and the only reason they are still alive is because I don't want to go to jail and I'm afraid they are stronger than me and would turn on me before I could finish them off.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Considering some of the atheists I've known, as well as some of the theists I've known, I've come up with a theory;

Oftentimes, God leads certain people into theism because He knows that without the idea of someone looking over their shoulder constantly, they would behave like absolute monsters.

On the other hand, maybe atheists are those of His kids who've matured enough to where they don't require constant adult supervision in order to behave like human beings.

It's just a theory, and I don't mean to imply that it's true in every situation, just a damn lot of situations (and I'm a theist).

Are you saying that without god you would kill people and do "horrible" things? :eek:

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I am a total douche.
And that's not even sarcasm.
I'm mean, self-centered, and all of those other negative characteristics.
I'm not going to lie. I'm a narcisistic *****.