• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible to be a Moral Atheist?

Zorro1227

As an atheist, I do not believe in a set of moral standards given to us by an omnipotent creator. This being the case, I regularly steal whatever I want, as I have no moral reason not to. And if someone ****** me off, I just off them - I mean, there are no morals, so why not? Additionally, I frequently attend drug-fueled orgies - as I might as well do what feels good, right?

I'm wondering whether other atheists are somehow capable, or willing, to live moral lives, or whether the rest of you simply do whatever you want, whenever you want, to whomever you please, since there are no moral consquences.

If you do live by some set of morals, why bother?

Thank you.

I do not follow the moral standards of religious groups; however, I have my personal views on morality. As far as my sexuality goes, many religious groups would say I am extremely immoral
icon12.gif
. I don't murder, steal, or cheat, but I try to live life respectfully of people and nature.

Erebus

There's a very simple way to test whether or not you are a moral person regardless of whether you are an atheist or a theist.

All you have to do is look at the blobfish and NOT laugh at it. If you can do this you have morals.

blob-fish.jpg

MSizer

MSizer
If I weren't a vegetrian, I'd eat babies every night. mmmm, salt, pepper, bbq sauce, yummmmy 8^)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Oh look, a lion. Lions eat meat. I am meat. Ugh...my head hurts from all the thinking. I think I'll sit down. Oh, hello, lion. Wait...what are you doing!??? Thats' my leg!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!...........

Come on, was that a serious question?
None of which represents critical thinking, logic, or skeptical thinking. ;)

Those traits may actually give us the ability to significantly influence evolution.
Yeah . . . now . . .

:D

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
There's a very simple way to test whether or not you are a moral person regardless of whether you are an atheist or a theist.

All you have to do is look at the blobfish and NOT laugh at it. If you can do this you have morals.

blob-fish.jpg
:eek:

MSizer

MSizer
I think it's some kind of Candy bar.

Oh, ok, good, 'cuz I googled it and they were saying some stupid thing like treating other people nicely or some dumb crap like that. I didn't really understand it, but it made no sense anyway.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Oh, ok, good, 'cuz I googled it and they were saying some stupid thing like treating other people nicely or some dumb crap like that. I didn't really understand it, but it made no sense anyway.

That's some funny stuff. Treating people nicely, what will they think of next.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Have I mentioned lately that I love every single one of you?

:hugehug:

You guys make me laugh. It's so rare that you can find a constructive and entertaining intelligent conversation.

I think one dude made an excellent post! I agree that the statistics may be skewed, and I'm not so sure about the brain anatomy and emotional electrons and such... lol. But he pointed out, logically, how the peoples morality can be slowly weakened by the concept of sin and guilt.

Sin was the first christian concept I disowned, with the guilt that comes with it. I have been more morally connscious since then and I didn't really understand why.

It is because I understand my malicious traits as part of my nature, which I alone have control of and are responsible for living with, which I can never undo. I don't avoid malice due to fear of punishment from God, but fear of punishment in my mind from myself, that I alone will have to live with and solve on my own by somehow making amends. When you cannot redirect your guilt/transfer it to another through his sacrifice/have someone else deal you punishment and forgive you/whatever, it sits inside you until it eats you alive unless you make ammends yourself... the hard way... the real way.

Your moral compass turns to concrete and you never break it. Just a tiny thing will irk you.

That's how I am anyway. I'm not athiest though I am just a non'religious wandering occult student. :D

EDIT: By one dude I meant Amhairghine

What the hell kinda word/name is that?!

Last edited:

Jeremiah

blob-fish.jpg

That thing is gross.

lunamoth

Will to love
I'm wondering whether other atheists are somehow capable, or willing, to live moral lives, or whether the rest of you simply do whatever you want, whenever you want, to whomever you please, since there are no moral consequences.

For goodness sake, of course the vast majority of atheists live by good moral standards, just as the vast majority of theists or non-theists or any other human group. To do otherwise you would be a sociopath!