• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayer: Supernatural or Psychological

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
In answer to the OP, natural and psychological.

Nothing that is, is outside/beyond the nature of what is.
If prayer somehow helps you, or helps to improve you, or your state of being
then it is a practice of worth for you.

mohammed_beiruti

So what is it? Is prayer the power of the mind, or are religious folks simply not praying for anything that the mind and modern medicine cannot fix? Another example can be starvation. It is not the fault of man that people are starving all around the world, and even if you could argue that it is, God should have the ability to feed them and not punish them for the evil nature of others. Yet, the hungry stay hungry. So, why are the religious not praying for them? Well, they are, but the power of the mind cannot feed entire countries.

What it comes down to is either that God is simply in the mind, or he has very screwed up priorities. I mean, if God will get rid of your flu but not help feed the hungry, is that really an entity worth honoring?
Suppose you have a good health or you are not suffering from starvation , that does not mean that God loves you

Also those who suffering from starvation , it does not necessarily means that God does not love them.

those are not measurements for God's love,

If someone has a tendency for addiction (by nature), and he prays for God to grant him money, may be God will not answer his prayer because he knows he will use this money to by drugs or he may harm your health.

But am sure that if your prayer is asking something which is not secular God will answer your prayer if you have a faith in him.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
My (imagined) idea of an 'all powerful' (all) loving god is a god who intervienes directly and powerfully, even handing out tokens to the almighty vending machines on weekends and other assorted special days. Like a loving parent would do for their child.

I'm not fond of the popular 'loving god' models of christianity and islam.

Storm, you (obviously) also are free to have your own (imagined) version of what a loving god would look like. It doesn't have to look like mine, and it doesn't have to look like anyone else's. If you don't see that a loving god would directly interviene and answer anyone's wish lists, I'm sure you have your own personally valid reasons for seeing it that way. If I have got you all wrong, simply correct me, you know? I certainly didn't mean to offend you. ???
Well, for starters, I don't even believe in an external, supernatural God at all. I was just saying that if I did, I wouldn't expect Him to answer prayers that boil down to "do it for me, ok?"