• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praying - Is it necessary?

kadzbiz

These replies were a great "welcome back". I'm glad it stirred the pot.

For some people, prayer is a sort of meditation. Seems like it might then be a worthwhile one.

Prayer & meditation are very different things, but if that's what some use it for, then okay, I'll give you that one Sunstone.

hmm. Prayer in Islam is prescribed 5 times a day, with the biggest benefit of it being a cleanse for the soul. As we all know, cleanliness keeps us safe from disease and other nasty things. So, in the spirit of spritual hygiene....I would say yes:yes:

How is your soul getting so unclean so quickly I ask you?

Kadzbiz, wasn't there a recent study that found no relationship between positive thinking and cancer cure rates? Prayer might be more beneficial if God does exist, or not? Maybe prayer helps to focus on options.

I would like to see that study Ozzie.

All that I can say is that I wouldn't tell someone praying was a waste of time....I could never decide that for someone else. As for me, I still pray occasionally but mostly it's a giving of thanks.....I just don't know who hears anymore. :)

I should've started with IMO, but I didn't. I guess there is always the "if it works for me, I'm doing it" ideology, but one can be grateful and thankful without refering it to a God. The universe will always hear you Buttercup.

.... many who have never prayed or believed in God, tend to pray or call on pastor's, priests, to pray for them, as well, many seem to look deeper into spiritual things when they are between a rock and hard place ,why is that......

It's their last hope. What have they got to lose? But it all depends who and where they are. Would a traditional aboriginal ask for God's help?

Logical fallacy. You assume prayer is a replacement to people doing all they can to "make the necessary change they long for." Actually, I find prayer to be useful in addition too doing all I can.

If you believe in God and follow a faith, then you're practically obliged to pray.

When people pray they need to be humble enough to recognize God is in charge and thy answer may sometimes be "no."

Why should it ever be "no"? It is also said, "Ask and you shall receive", not "sometimes" or "when I feel like".

Buttercup

Veteran Member
And from my understanding, one may be bound to receive a faithful response that resembles the beliefs that they are following.
Or, if you don't receive a response (which happened 99.9 % of the time during my 25 year Christian experiment) you are to say to yourself, "It must have been God's will to not answer my prayer".

Aren't they the same thing:confused:

No, praying is saying specific chants to make him happy and tell him how great you are, good, but its not for me. I talk to god like he is a freind. I start it like, "All right, hows it going? Things down here are pretty good," Then i tell him how it could be better. He does it soemtimes, just forgets other times. I prefer talking, its more happy.

nutshell

If you believe in God and follow a faith, then you're practically obliged to pray.

But being obliged to pray doesn't release one from taking personal responsibility.

Why should it ever be "no"? It is also said, "Ask and you shall receive", not "sometimes" or "when I feel like".

It should be "no" because when we ask we have to take into consideration God's will and not our own. Jesus was the perfect example of that in Gethsamene.

kadzbiz

Hmm, seems to me that praying to God who chooses when to act is akin to begging. Good people shouldn't need to ask for things if God is aware of them and their situation. It paints a picture of God to me of one that keeps requiring recognition and attention.

nutshell

Hmm, seems to me that praying to God who chooses when to act is akin to begging. Good people shouldn't need to ask for things if God is aware of them and their situation. It paints a picture of God to me of one that keeps requiring recognition and attention.

It's not about recognition and attention to God.

It IS about learning humility for ourselves - being humble enough to ask when we think we need help, but understanding God might have a different plan for us and accepting His plan rather than forcing our own will.

exl2398

Wonderer

It IS about learning humility for ourselves - being humble enough to ask when we think we need help, but understanding God might have a different plan for us and accepting His plan rather than forcing our own will.
Frubals!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

Great post!

Some of God greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.

The Lord helps those who helps themselves.

kadzbiz

I think it is great how people as yourself have an answer for everything and it obviously makes your life so much better for it. I truly am happy for you. However, if God has a plan and we just accept that as a fact, then there is no need for anyone to pray, because whether we ask for something or not, it is going to happen as God wills it.

Great post! Some of God greatest gifts are unanswered prayers. The Lord helps those who helps themselves.

Greatest gift? If one gives nothing, acknowledges nothing, there is NO gift to be gotten. As for the last line, that has to be the biggest scam ever.

Mr. Peanut

Hi!

Us peanuts pray in Jesus' name, yes, we do! He told us:

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. Hitherto have ye asked nothingin my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Cheers!

Mr. Peanut

Modern-day english?
Hi!

Ooh, sorry, us peanuts are familiar with the King James Bible. Here is a loose translation to help you:

Truly, truly I say to you, whatever you all ask the Father in my name, he will give it to all of you. So far you all have asked for nothing in my name: ask, and you all shall receive, that your joy may be full. Ask, and it shall be given to all of you: seek, and you all shall find, knock and it shall be opened to all of you: For everyone that asks receives; and he that seeks finds; and to him that knocks it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son asks for bread, will he give him a stone: Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a snake? If you all then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Cheers!

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
If nothing else, the idea that the source of all there is might alter the future at your request could be good for self-esteem.

Mr. Peanut

Hi!

I read this, it seems insightful:

Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

as opposed to:

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Fatherin my name, he may give it you.

So, when we ask for the wrong reason we don't receive, perhaps? But for the right reason, we receive?

Cheers!

nutshell

I think it is great how people as yourself have an answer for everything and it obviously makes your life so much better for it. I truly am happy for you. However, if God has a plan and we just accept that as a fact, then there is no need for anyone to pray, because whether we ask for something or not, it is going to happen as God wills it.

I'm sorry, kadzbiz, but I don't think I'm making myself clear. Please let me try again.

The need of praying is to humble ourselves - it's not asking for that which we may or may nto receive. So, even if we accept God's plan as fact, we still need to pray to humble ourselves. In fact, praying while accepting God's plan as fact is close to accomplishing his humility, IMO.

:shout <<<<<< nuts praying

Smoke

Done here.
As usual, Russell's Teapot has the answer to all your religious questions:

prayer1.jpg

(skipped three panels)

prayer2.jpg

kadzbiz

I'm sorry, kadzbiz, but I don't think I'm making myself clear. Please let me try again. The need of praying is to humble ourselves - it's not asking for that which we may or may not receive. So, even if we accept God's plan as fact, we still need to pray to humble ourselves. In fact, praying while accepting God's plan as fact is close to accomplishing his humility, IMO. :shout <<<<<< nuts praying

His humility? I don't understand that. One can be humble without the necessity of pray, and since God is aware of us at all times, I can't see the point of praying, except to "show" God a sign that we a humble, or maybe showing others that we are showing God a sign.

nutshell

His humility? I don't understand that. One can be humble without the necessity of pray, and since God is aware of us at all times, I can't see the point of praying, except to "show" God a sign that we a humble, or maybe showing others that we are showing God a sign.

I'm sorry - "his" was referring to the win praying, not God.

Can one be humble without prayer? Sure.

Is prayer a useful method of learning humility? You bet.

Again, we aren't "showing" God anything - we are training ourselves.