• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pro-life Super Bowl Ad: Question for RF

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The pre-reaction to the commercial was way overblown. After seeing it, my only beef is the money FotF spent on it while at the same time laying off over a hundred workers here in Colorado Springs.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Maybe Im dense but I would have never even picked up she was talking about choosing not to abort. Its simply a miracle baby story.Which there are milions of.I would never have even thought she was trying to say "what if I had had an abortion" anymore than any mother who is telling her almost miscarried or what not stories.I dont think when we meet people we look at them and think..Im so glad your mom didnt abort you.

I saw it as simply a celebrate life message for all.Its like if I ask someone how they are and they respond "Im actually doing fantastic these days last year was pretty rough so I appreciate these good times even more"..I dont think "thank God you didnt committ suicide".

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
The pre-reaction to the commercial was way overblown. After seeing it, my only beef is the money FotF spent on it while at the same time laying off over a hundred workers here in Colorado Springs.

I would say it was a huge waste of money,.

Its like paying millions of dollars to put a message on the T>V that says "HEY IM HERE!!! EVERYBODY BE HAPPY"!

Love

Dallas

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Here is the actual ad they are "rebutting":
Is that the only one?

I've heard some after-the-fact reports that mentioned two different commercials: one during the pre-game show and one at halftime. However, since I'm in Canada*, I wasn't able to see them live.

*Canadian cable companies are sneaky: if a broadcast is being aired on an American channel and a Canadian channel at the same time, they'll replace the American signal with the Canadian one, including the ads.

Smoke

Done here.
Maybe Im dense but I would have never even picked up she was talking about choosing not to abort. Its simply a miracle baby story.Which there are milions of.I would never have even thought she was trying to say "what if I had had an abortion" anymore than any mother who is telling her almost miscarried or what not stories.I dont think when we meet people we look at them and think..Im so glad your mom didnt abort you.

I saw it as simply a celebrate life message for all.Its like if I ask someone how they are and they respond "Im actually doing fantastic these days last year was pretty rough so I appreciate these good times even more"..I dont think "thank God you didnt committ suicide".
I went to the Focus on the Family website, and the longer video presented there is even stranger. The Tebows say the doctor told them it wasn't a baby, but a tumor. I'm thinking, "Really? Your ******* doctor couldn't tell a pregnancy from a tumor?" They talked about how they prayed for another kid despite the fact that Pam was 37 and they already had four kids, and how Bob promised to raise the new kid, if they had one, to be a preacher. No word on why none of the four they already had could be a preacher. But whatever. Pam talks about how difficult her pregnancy was and how she figured if it was God's will for her to die, then God would take care of her family. And it all turned out great because they got a big old son who wears Bible verses on his face.

I just thought it was odd. I mean, some people might watch it and think it's a powerful message against abortion, but to me it was kind of like watching the Duggars or some of those other families with more than a dozen kids. I found it a little repellent but interesting at the same time, like a freak show. I don't think any woman in her right mind would watch it and think, "Yeah, Jesus wants me to have more babies, too!"

Anyway, it seems like a huge waste of money to me, but as I said I'm all in favor of ******* Up the Family wasting its money. I'd like to see them throw their money down every rathole they can find. They've already got out of their Lies Won Out campaign, which was a financial drain, and pushed it off on Exodus International. They laid off 20% of their workforce a little over a year ago, and then laid off 8% a few months later. There are rumor of financial hard times, but they've still got plenty of money. They should be encouraged to spend it on useless stuff.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I would say it was a huge waste of money,.

Its like paying millions of dollars to put a message on the T>V that says "HEY IM HERE!!! EVERYBODY BE HAPPY"!
That commercial Mestemia linked to also has another message: "Go to this website! It has something to do with happy families!"

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
That commercial Mestemia linked to also has another message: "Go to this website! It has something to do with happy families!"

Yeah right.Like people are going to jump up and run to their computer to get "more information" on stories of families that had rough pregnancies but everything worked out just FINE!

I have just GOT to know MORE!

I can just picture all these football fanantics gathered around the computer with their beer and buffalo wings reading Focus on The Family happy miracle baby stories and sniffling and going "ahhhh isnt that wonderful and so sweet ..she is such a great MOM! " :rolleyes:

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I went to the Focus on the Family website, and the longer video presented there is even stranger. The Tebows say the doctor told them it wasn't a baby, but a tumor. I'm thinking, "Really? Your ******* doctor couldn't tell a pregnancy from a tumor?" They talked about how they prayed for another kid despite the fact that Pam was 37 and they already had four kids, and how Bob promised to raise the new kid, if they had one, to be a preacher. No word on why none of the four they already had could be a preacher. But whatever. Pam talks about how difficult her pregnancy was and how she figured if it was God's will for her to die, then God would take care of her family. And it all turned out great because they got a big old son who wears Bible verses on his face.

I just thought it was odd. I mean, some people might watch it and think it's a powerful message against abortion, but to me it was kind of like watching the Duggars or some of those other families with more than a dozen kids. I found it a little repellent but interesting at the same time, like a freak show. I don't think any woman in her right mind would watch it and think, "Yeah, Jesus wants me to have more babies, too!"

Anyway, it seems like a huge waste of money to me, but as I said I'm all in favor of ******* Up the Family wasting its money. I'd like to see them throw their money down every rathole they can find. They've already got out of their Lies Won Out campaign, which was a financial drain, and pushed it off on Exodus International. They laid off 20% of their workforce a little over a year ago, and then laid off 8% a few months later. There are rumor of financial hard times, but they've still got plenty of money. They should be encouraged to spend it on useless stuff.

That is quite bizzarre.

Love

Dallas

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
O.K. I'm pro-choice and I think I kind of like the ad--with reservations. What I mean is, there's a difference between being anti-abortion (which most people are) and anti-abortion rights. The ad was the former, which is not very controversial and no one should get bent out of shape about.

OTOH as someone astutely pointed out here, it may be that a woman would be persuaded to take a child to term with a horrible result, including damage to her own health or even life, when the doctors were saying she really should have had an abortion, and that would be a bad thing.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
The ad was not paid for out of F on the F's budget - the money was donated THROUGH F on the F by several donors - specifically for advertising.

Just to clarify. So they didn't use money they could have used to keep people working in order to pay for this ad.

Kathryn

Also - the family was overseas when the mom got pregnant - in some country (can't recall which right now, but I want to say it was a third world country) where they were serving as missionaries. This might explain why the attending doctor thought initially that the baby was a tumor. We simply have no way of knowing what sort of diagnostic tools were available there at an early stage of pregnancy so we'd be just guessing at this point.

Smoke

Done here.
The ad was not paid for out of F on the F's budget - the money was donated THROUGH F on the F by several donors - specifically for advertising.

Just to clarify. So they didn't use money they could have used to keep people working in order to pay for this ad.
Well, I'm sorry to hear that.

Also - the family was overseas when the mom got pregnant - in some country (can't recall which right now, but I want to say it was a third world country) where they were serving as missionaries. This might explain why the attending doctor thought initially that the baby was a tumor. We simply have no way of knowing what sort of diagnostic tools were available there at an early stage of pregnancy so we'd be just guessing at this point.
The Philippines. I'm skeptical about a doctor anywhere in 1986 being without the means to diagnose a pregnancy but feeling confident even without those means in diagnosing a pregnancy as a tumor and recommending surgery to remove it. Are we sure this was really a doctor?

Kathryn

Nope, not at all sure. And it would totally depend on where they were living in the Phillipines. Many parts of that country were still very impoverished in the 1980s.

Smoke

Done here.
Nope, not at all sure. And it would totally depend on where they were living in the Phillipines. Many parts of that country were still very impoverished in the 1980s.
Impoverished doesn't mean stupid.

However, on reflection, it occurs to me that since abortion is illegal in the Philippines, that may have been the doctor's attempt to give Pam Tebow a choice. "It's not a fetus, it's a tumor... wink-wink-nudge-nudge."

Kathryn

Kathryn,

Any response to post #118? Am I still back tracking?

What I said was that the earlier critics of the ad - the people who had a knee jerk, uninformed, visceral response to it before even seeing it or having their facts straight - are now probably going to backtrack - either deny or downplay their initial uproar or judgmentalism toward the ad.

I'm not saying whether or not you fit that description, and I've never accused you of it - but if the shoe fits, wear it. If not, don't worry about it.

OMG, what a horrible, tasteless, offensive, blatantly divisive and political ad - NOT.

This really makes some militants look pretty foolish.

Mr Spinkles said:
Who was making a big deal out of it?
oH MY...the back tracking begins..."Who was upset? Not ME! Certainly not ME!"
Kathryn said:
What I said was that the earlier critics of the ad - the people who had a knee jerk, uninformed, visceral response to it before even seeing it or having their facts straight - are now probably going to backtrack - either deny or downplay their initial uproar or judgmentalism toward the ad.

I'm not saying whether or not you fit that description, and I've never accused you of it - but if the shoe fits, wear it. If not, don't worry about it.
One almost gets the impression that Kathryn herself is one of the people who had a knee jerk reaction to something and is now back tracking. Interesting. ;)

no-body

I'm happy with the ad as it aired. I'm not sure if all the publicity and outcries did anything, but that the public's attention was changed to focus on families extremist intolerant batguano views gives me hope.

footprints

One almost gets the impression that Kathryn herself is one of the people who had a knee jerk reaction to something and is now back tracking. Interesting. ;)

Strange I don't see Kathryn back tracking, what I see is you trying to use negative projection instead of rational, logical and credible debate. ;)