• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proofs for God/Religion. Got a good one?

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
Just because the astutes were wrong doesn't mean you will be right. The point is you do not know if there is more to life than what meets the eye. So don't say it

Let's see... I have 14,795 posts and three awards. You have 32. I don't think you're qualified to make the determination of who's trolling here...
Perhaps, in your myopic view, the Bible has no value. But, happily, this isn't the world according to you, now is it?

Bloody hell, you are slippery. Answer the question. In what situation has quoting the bible got infinite value? And by the way I could repeat your ad hominem bit about 'myopic view.' It's derogatory.

Opinion is one thing. Self-centeredness is entirely another. Again: 14,795 vs. 32. Your ad hominem is neither substantiated nor appreciated.
It is substantiated. You could not follow the comments so I've had to repeat them for you. You asked my opinion. I gave my opinion. You took umbrage with what I said.

Can you please answer points directly rather than get sidetracked?

Last edited:

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
Love is eternal...

I didn't say it was the only reason. But I find it interesting that you did!

Expand. Rather than saying that's not the only reason give other reasons. Don't make statements without backing them up. You said that there was no proof for god but there were arguments, and that you could use intuition.

Slippery again

so can guns, cars, political systems, and medicine...

Rather than attack what science has given us stick to the point. What else has religion given us? Slippery again.

True, guns can be used to defend or attack. Political systems to govern or control. Medicine can heal or be control people.

Hmm... I've seen all the Bond movies -- several times over. I don't seem to remember any villain whose motives weren't completely self-centered. If that's what you think God is, you're hopelessly in the dark here.

This raises an interesting point. What can we know about God? You said we can know God in part but never expanded.

Or does it?...
No it doesn't.

Let's not get sidetracked. Just answer these for me:
1) What can we know about God
2) Expand your argument (injustice oppression etc.)

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
Liberation theology helped the injustices in South America, as well as the oppression in South Africa. Environmental theology seeks to help us envision our place in the world such that we do not continue to ruin our home.

I'm going to ignore the other bits for now.

If you are saying Liberation theology helped the injustices in South America and thus that is an argument for the existence of God then you've lost me. That in no way indicates God. Same for environmental. The efforts of a theological movement are not arguments for God.

I'd like to focus on what we know about God because either I don't understand what you're saying here or it doesn't make sense

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The point is you do not know if there is more to life than what meets the eye. So don't say it!
Yes. You're right. We should never explore the boundaries, insisting that there's something we don't understand. That's the sort of mind-set that gave humanity technology, social sciences, sanitation, sterile technique, medicine, the space program, etc. Just put out of your mind that there might be "something else." See, this is the kind of thinking that enabled the Church in the middle ages to say that it had ultimate truth. So, are you arguing for that now?
In what situation has quoting the bible got infinite value?
More provisos. Now it's infinite value. Before, it was simply "value." Which is it, please?
If your questions were stated honestly, I could answer them honestly.
It is substantiated.
Oh I followed you just fine. But your questions change from post to post, as above.
You could not follow the comments so I've had to repeat them for you.
In what realm does "embellishment" = "repetition?"
You took umbrage with what I said.
No, I didn't, with the possible exception of the ad hominems.
Can you please answer points directly rather than get sidetracked?
What is it -- definitively -- that you want?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
You're against it BECAUSE it created us? That, I do not understand. You would rather it didn't create us?

On an unrelated note I suppose you agree with everything in science except the origins of the universe

I agree with science about the origin of the universe, I'm just saying whatever it is science discovers that caused the universe to expand (cause the big bang) if we do discover it (using science) then that will what I'll think of as God. Although not godly. "God is not Godly".

For personal reasons, even though it didn't decide to create anything, it created a disasterpiece...

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am really trying to understand why people keep asking for proof of God. There is none, at least scientifically (as I said in an earlier post). But what is the motive for asking that question? I am not being facetious, I would really like to know because to me, it seems like a totally useless question. Not a stupid question, really, just doesn't seem productive. My cynical side almost sees it as a set-up for ridicule for the people answering. My sarcastic side sees it as someone trying to "educate" we religious/faithful folks. I always hope my sarcastic and cynical sides are wrong.

Oh? Somehow justice, freedom from oppression, and care for our planet seem to be pretty strong arguments for theological constructs that address these cultural ills.

None of those, however, require God in any way to exist. You can easily take anything in the world and put it down to God, or my pink elephant, for that matter; that makes no difference to whether or not God exists.

I also noticed that you seem to rate theology highly. My criticism of any such idea is that the OP was asking for arguments pertaining to the existence of God; he was not asking for theological assertions (because the only realm in which theology has any worth next to logical reasoning, if it can be truly be called a realm, is in that of pointless assertions; take it from someone who knows 2 people with PhD's and another with a Masters' Degree in theology). You will notice that, when it comes to providing evidence for God's existence, and proving that he is not infinitely unlikely to exist, theologians who come up with arguments unanimously have these arguments torn down and their simple flaws horribly exposed, not by theologians or advanced logic, but simply by a basic and unadvanced application of the scientific and logical mind, which is the only mindset through which human advancement is possible.

Oh? Didn't make any sense for me to fall in love with my wife, yet she's the best thing that's ever happened to me... perhaps there's more to the "inner eye" than you're willing to concede here.

There's a difference between using logic to reach a conclusion about the truth or otherwise of a concept and using instinct to decide which direction you want to take your life. To put it simply, thanks to your instincts, you have the right to say that your wife was the best possible person for you to marry, and the best possible woman in the world, but subjectively, and subjectively only. However, if you want to give other people evidence on which to base their opinions, it will have to be objective - it is akin to you having to give them an objective reason why your wife is the best woman in the world (which, while it is possible, is highly unlikely, just looking at probabilities). I don't mean to go off topic, and I apologize for taking the risk of being insulting (I didn't mean any offence); I just needed to clear up that the way your using instinct is as a "personal experience" sort of argument, and while there's no doubt that personal experience may count as full subjective proof for the person recieving it, there is also no doubt that it ought not to be considered as even a shred of objective evidence for anyone else.

You also seem to think that, if there is no objective evidence for anyone else, trying to decide on whether or not there is a God is (for everyone else) "a waste of time". Here's where you don't understand atheistic positions: in the absence of your (entirely subjective) instinct that God exists, which (let me remind you yet again) counts as no evidence at all for anyone other than the person with the instinct, the concept of God may be rated as any assertion is, and that is by logic, which reveals his infinitely low probability, and which, in the absence of your instinct or, indeed, any objective evidence, is the probability we take up when going about life.

Good! Brute beasts have not been responsible for systematically screwing over our planet.

There is nothing good about being animalistic. If you rate this planet more highly than you rate our species, there is something fundamentally (yes, fundamentally) wrong with you.

"God" seems like a perfectly ingenious thought to me...

Maybe he does to you, because you've been brought up to believe in him. People have not been brought up singularly to believe in computers as great, and that's why they may take them for granted, as you are doing now. But there is a massive gulf in the current positive effect on society of science (the modern world-view) and the current effect of religion (which I consider deeply negative, though I must admit that religion was a necessary factor early in our development and its arrisal was not a bad thing).

Pink elephants have little -- if anything -- to do with theology.

Theology, as I have explained, is unimportant when it comes to logical decision-making, or giving objective evidence for God, which is what this thread is about.

In any case, you seem to have missed the point, which is that, if God is a personality (as he is depicted in the Old Testament), there is no tangible difference in probability to be had between him and any random figment of anyone's imagination, including a pink elephant.

Yes, I do! I know some!

No, you don't. Don't kid yourself; you don't know anyone who puts their children to bed by reading from The God Delusion. You've made that up right now.

Hyperbole isn't very helpful.

Yes, actually, it is exceptionally helpful in proving my point, though to you, it may be rather unhelpful, since it derails yours.

I have? (Talk about wish fulfillment!) Please post a reference to a post here where I've made that assertion.

Your belief that God exists shows through in your posts; not only that, but you have admitted to being a theist. I do accept that you have not "insisted" that God exists.

I certainly hope so!

Shame the world which would not look on such a "believer" as a mad-man.

Your ad hominem is neither appreciated nor called for.

My point was absolutely correct and I stand by it. However, I accept that I strayed into the uncalled for in this section, and you have my apologies for that.

Oh? Prove it.

I already did. With logic.

I never said that. Interesting, though, that you did!

I've never claimed that God does that. Interesting, though, that you do!

Actually, despite your conviction to the opposite, you did say both of these things, or at least imply them in a way such that my surmission was the only possible one, and thus, you did genuinely imply what I wrote (such that no other conclusion could be drawn from what you said except for what I said).

We're here, aren't we -- despite all odds?

Talking to you amazes me! Sometimes you give the impression of a fairly advanced theist with some knowledge of the arguments at work, and at others, you seem to follow lame and weak provisional arguments! Here, you're using a strand of the Design Argument as evidence for the existence of God; in reality, us being here only counts as evidence if it really is "despite all odds", and as the counter-arguments to the Design Argument show, it is not.

My argument??? I've never asserted any of these things about God. It would seem that your straw man is not very well disguised.

Yes, you did. You implied every one of them in a way that it follows from what you said that God is "testing" us, and yet when I used the phrase "testing", my change of wording sufficed to make you disown your statements!

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
Yes. You're right. We should never explore the boundaries, insisting that there's something we don't understand. That's the sort of mind-set that gave humanity technology, social sciences, sanitation, sterile technique, medicine, the space program, etc. Just put out of your mind that there might be "something else." See, this is the kind of thinking that enabled the Church in the middle ages to say that it had ultimate truth. So, are you arguing for that now?

Let's trace this back. I asked you why appeal to a God. You said because there is more to life than what meets the eye. In respect to God you cannot claim that you should believe in him because there is more to life than what meets the eye. Take the conversation as a whole, not each individual statement.

More provisos. Now it's infinite value. Before, it was simply "value." Which is it, please?
If your questions were stated honestly, I could answer them honestly.

Sometimes quoting the bible has infinite value.

At 2:03 PM forum time you are the one who said that quoting the bible has infinite value (sometimes)

In what realm does "embellishment" = "repetition?"

I'm going to ignore this since I would have to repeat myself again to explain it to you.

Here:
1)What can we know about God?
2)When does quoting the bible have infinite value?

sojourner

Oh? Really!
Expand. Rather than saying that's not the only reason give other reasons. Don't make statements without backing them up. You said that there was no proof for god but there were arguments, and that you could use intuition.

Slippery again
There aren't any. But there are arguments. "Argument" and "proof" are two different things. Don't you know that? When it comes to God's existence, all we have is intuition. Arguments can be made from reason. Again, they are two different things.
God is pretty slippery to get a handle on, and in the end, no one has a very good grasp. Welcome to the world of the theologian.
Rather than attack what science has given us stick to the point.
Rather than attack what religion has given us, stick to the point.
True, guns can be used to defend or attack. Political systems to govern or control. Medicine can heal or be control people.
Religion can do the same things. Why does that attribute make religion suspect, but technology not suspect?
This raises an interesting point. What can we know about God? You said we can know God in part but never expanded.
We can know some things about the larger universe, but not all of them. God's the same way, because God is, in part, transcendent -- Other -- than humanity.
What can we know about God
WE can know what we can know. What is known is mostly a subjective thing, so it really wouldn't do me any good to try to lay it all out here.
Expand your argument (injustice oppression etc.)
Perhaps you'd rather go back to El Salvador without Bishop Ramiro's influence?
Perhaps you'd rather go back to South Africa without Bishop Tutu?
Perhaps you'd rather go on living in the sewer we've created out of the world?

It's largely to the efforts of certain theological constructs that damaging systems have changed. By adding God to the equation, humanity is no longer at the top of a "food chain," in which we continue to take advantage of the less powerful. Those are clear arguments for a God that keeps us from building towers that topple and eating fruit that ultimately destroys our humanity.

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
I am really trying to understand why people keep asking for proof of God. There is none, at least scientifically (as I said in an earlier post). But what is the motive for asking that question? I am not being facetious, I would really like to know because to me, it seems like a totally useless question. Not a stupid question, really, just doesn't seem productive. My cynical side almost sees it as a set-up for ridicule for the people answering. My sarcastic side sees it as someone trying to "educate" we religious/faithful folks. I always hope my sarcastic and cynical sides are wrong.

Why believe in God if there is no proof, no way to know what he wants. It seems religious people have a religion and stick with it when in all probability it's wrong. I just want to understand why people devote significant portions of their life to something that is not testable unprovable and unknown. No educating, no ridiculing. More like persuading and understanding

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Why believe in God if there is no proof, no way to know what he wants. It seems religious people have a religion and stick with it when in all probability it's wrong. I just want to understand why people devote significant portions of their life to something that is not testable unprovable and unknown. No educating, no ridiculing. More like persuading and understanding

Thanks for answering. I do understand why some people need proof to believe in something, I used to be the same way and I still am in a lot of things that are not religion. I am glad to hear you didn't just set up for ridicule.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, but only once: there's a difference between decision-making based on what we can understand and evaluate logically (and this is what we do with every scientific idea that comes our way: we check it again and again, we evaluate it, and, if it fits into and furthers our understanding of the universe and seems like a more probable solution for all cases than the prior theory, we accept it, but only when it achieves this higher probability) and bringing up this idea (God, one which cannot be logically defended to any extent, as I have already demonstrated in the absence of any real arguments from you or anyone else) and then building up random embellished assertions in an attempt to cloak the fact that it is actually merely wish-making. muffin8or is not saying that we should refuse to look past our current knowledge; he's saying we shouldn't look for answers that are impossible to acquire (i.e. proof of whether or not God exists) and look instead for answers based on probability (is God likely to exist? no, is the answer, and this method is the same as is used by scientists for their discoveries, and it is this method, not any others, which are used for mankind's progress). I'm leaving aside your instinct question because, as I already showed, it's only subjective evidence, and fails to deserve to be counted as anything for anyone except the reciever of the personal experience.

Let me make an educated guess as to what muffin8or wants:
Evidence, reasoning, or logic (in any sort of form), which can be evaluated objectively to arrive at the eventual conclusion, for the existence of God.

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
Religion can do the same things. Why does that attribute make religion suspect, but technology not suspect?

Because religion is meant to give us more than human understanding. What is it for if it is just as likely to be wrong and manipulated as anything else.

We can know some things about the larger universe, but not all of them. God's the same way, because God is, in part, transcendent -- Other -- than humanity.

How do we know he's transcendent?

We can know what we can know. What is known is mostly a subjective thing, so it really wouldn't do me any good to try to lay it all out here.

So essentially we can't know anything about God?

Perhaps you'd rather go back to El Salvador without Bishop Ramiro's influence?
Perhaps you'd rather go back to South Africa without Bishop Tutu?
Perhaps you'd rather go on living in the sewer we've created out of the world?

It's largely to the efforts of certain theological constructs that damaging systems have changed. By adding God to the equation, humanity is no longer at the top of a "food chain," in which we continue to take advantage of the less powerful. Those are clear arguments for a God that keeps us from building towers that topple and eating fruit that ultimately destroys our humanity.

So you are saying because regimes toppled that is an argument for God? I say people got fed up and they rebelled. Now if an oppressive regime just one day got up and said 'I'm going' then that would be evidence for God. But God has to work through the people? The people haven't just done it themselves? He doesn't like to make himself evident, this God.

iBobsy

Having given up on reading the posts after about page 3, I decided to put forward my opinions anyway...

1. I doubt that for the majority of Theists, their belief in G-d is based on pure logic (feel free to disprove this). Instead, I think that it is based on faith as well. I believe in G-d, but don't believe it is possible to prove Him through scientific and logical paths.

2. Furthermore, I do not feel that I have to prove G-d in order for Him to exist for me. I used to think that this was a ridiculous argument but I understand it now. If G-d has a positive impact on me and how I live my life, then what does it matter if He actually exists or not. If my faith in G-d causes me to save one thousand people, then G-d's existence is not entirely relevant. It has still caused me to make a positive impact in the world.

3. Although, this probably sound very weak, I find that G-d gives me a purpose in life. G-d helps me to strive to be a better person, to strive to improve how I life my life and who I am. Doing a good deed is not always self-rewarding, but knowing that there's something greater out there that sees my deed and might reward me, makes it all the more worthwhile.

My points have not included arguments for the existence of G-d, but instead, arguments for why I find it beneficial to believe in G-d.

sojourner

None of those, however, require God in any way to exist.
Exactly! They aren't proofs for God. But they are arguments for God.
You can easily take anything in the world and put it down to God, or my pink elephant, for that matter; that makes no difference to whether or not God exists.
Well, that's what I've been saying all along! i.e.: Pink elephants have nothing to do with theology.
I also noticed that you seem to rate theology highly.
well, it is the only method we have of talking about God...
My criticism of any such idea is that the OP was asking for arguments pertaining to the existence of God;
Which I've made CLEAR from the outset that effective ones don't exist.
he was not asking for theological assertions (because the only realm in which theology has any worth next to logical reasoning, if it can be truly be called a realm, is in that of pointless assertions;
He did ask for arguments -- and that's precisely what theological constructions do: provide arguments for God.
And if you think that theology is "pointless," I'd return your attention to people like Romero and Tutu.
You will notice that, when it comes to providing evidence for God's existence, and proving that he is not infinitely unlikely to exist, theologians who come up with arguments unanimously have these arguments torn down and their simple flaws horribly exposed, not by theologians or advanced logic, but simply by a basic and unadvanced application of the scientific and logical mind, which is the only mindset through which human advancement is possible.
Let's see: Slavery, misogyny, homophobia, injustice, oppression, terrorism, war, inequity, fascism -- shall I go on? Oh yes! We're doing splendidly with our "scientific and logical minds."
The problem with your argument is in asserting that theology sets out to "prove God." It does not. Theology seeks to provide us with constructions that help us understand ourselves and our place in the world better.

No one ever said that theological constructions were perfect. How can they be? We are imperfect human beings. Therefore, any understanding of the Divine will, likewise, be imperfect. But if you think medicine or any other science is perfect, may I point you to any one of a number of lawsuits levied against the medical community, or to the constant shift in whether coffee is beneficial or not, the best way to lose weight, etc.?
There's a difference between using logic to reach a conclusion about the truth or otherwise of a concept and using instinct to decide which direction you want to take your life. To put it simply, thanks to your instincts, you have the right to say that your wife was the best possible person for you to marry, and the best possible woman in the world, but subjectively, and subjectively only.
well, isn't that how we deal with God?
I just needed to clear up that the way your using instinct is as a "personal experience" sort of argument, and while there's no doubt that personal experience may count as full subjective proof for the person recieving it, there is also no doubt that it ought not to be considered as even a shred of objective evidence for anyone else.
We each approach God from the confines of our own particularity.
You also seem to think that, if there is no objective evidence for anyone else, trying to decide on whether or not there is a God is (for everyone else) "a waste of time". Here's where you don't understand atheistic positions: in the absence of your (entirely subjective) instinct that God exists, which (let me remind you yet again) counts as no evidence at all for anyone other than the person with the instinct, the concept of God may be rated as any assertion is, and that is by logic, which reveals his infinitely low probability, and which, in the absence of your instinct or, indeed, any objective evidence, is the probability we take up when going about life.
Again, there is no proof! Why do you keep insisting that I think there is? And if it's true that there's no proof (as you've as much as asserted here), why do y'all keep whining for some??? However, if y'all would realize that theology is but one voice among many in the human search for "what is true," then perhaps you'd realize better that "proof" is not the be-all-end-all of human experience. This perspective that truth is somehow "ultimate" or "absolute" has repeatedly led the church down the primrose path of foisting one perspective on all people. Nazism did the same thing. Truth is not unilateral, ultimate, or absolute. Truth is a multifaceted animal that depends greatly on the meaning we assign to both facts and feelings. There is no reason why science and theology can't (and shouldn't) exist side by side.
There is nothing good about being animalistic.
Tell that to the mother of the little boy who fell into the gorilla pit...
Humanity is the only species that systematically kills its own kind and exercised unfair power over other species.
If you rate this planet more highly than you rate our species, there is something fundamentally (yes, fundamentally) wrong with you.
I don't rate it "more highly," but I will say this: We depend upon this planet for our existence; this planet does not depend upon us for its existence.
But there is a massive gulf in the current positive effect on society of science (the modern world-view) and the current effect of religion (which I consider deeply negative, though I must admit that religion was a necessary factor early in our development and its arrisal was not a bad thing).
Would this be the same modern world-view that continues to systematically keep the powerless...powerless? Yes, the current "effect of religion" is mostly negative. It needs to change. But I assert that it can change and that it can help us to better our lot here.
Theology, as I have explained, is unimportant when it comes to logical decision-making, or giving objective evidence for God, which is what this thread is about.
I disagree that theology is "unimportant when it comes to logical decision-making." As for the rest of your assertion, I've been saying that objective evidence for God is a dead-end street. In the end, theology (God's back-side) is all we've got.
In any case, you seem to have missed the point, which is that, if God is a personality (as he is depicted in the Old Testament), there is no tangible difference in probability to be had between him and any random figment of anyone's imagination, including a pink elephant.
I have made no such assertion about God.
No, you don't. Don't kid yourself; you don't know anyone who puts their children to bed by reading from The God Delusion. You've made that up right now.
Yes. I do. End of argument.
Yes, actually, it is exceptionally helpful in proving my point, though to you, it may be rather unhelpful, since it derails yours.
What, precisely, do you feel it has derailed?
Your belief that God exists shows through in your posts; not only that, but you have admitted to being a theist. I do accept that you have not "insisted" that God exists.
In what way do you think I believe God exists? I've left that door wiiiiide open to speculation.
Shame the world which would not look on such a "believer" as a mad-man.
I would posit that those who thought Ghandi a "madman" were a blight on society.
Actually, despite your conviction to the opposite, you did say both of these things, or at least imply them in a way such that my surmission was the only possible one, and thus, you did genuinely imply what I wrote (such that no other conclusion could be drawn from what you said except for what I said).
Oh? Prove it.
Talking to you amazes me! Sometimes you give the impression of a fairly advanced theist with some knowledge of the arguments at work, and at others, you seem to follow lame and weak provisional arguments! Here, you're using a strand of the Design Argument as evidence for the existence of God; in reality, us being here only counts as evidence if it really is "despite all odds", and as the counter-arguments to the Design Argument show, it is not.
Shows what you know. I wasn't arguing from the Design position. At all.
Yes, you did. You implied every one of them in a way that it follows from what you said that God is "testing" us, and yet when I used the phrase "testing", my change of wording sufficed to make you disown your statements!
'K. In what way did I "imply" that God "tests us?" Be specific, please. 'Cause I got a HUGE suspicion that you're assuming things about my position that are patently untrue.

sojourner

Let's trace this back. I asked you why appeal to a God. You said because there is more to life than what meets the eye. In respect to God you cannot claim that you should believe in him because there is more to life than what meets the eye. Take the conversation as a whole, not each individual statement.
Well, I just did claim it. What're you gonna do about it?
1)What can we know about God?
2)When does quoting the bible have infinite value?
We can know what we can know about God, especially as that knowledge pertains to building relationship, because that's the way in which God interacts with us.

Quoting the Bible has value as it points us to a better understanding of God, ourselves and others. Since we are not infinite, I'm not sure that the value is infinite.

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
1. I doubt that for the majority of Theists, their belief in G-d is based on pure logic (feel free to disprove this). Instead, I think that it is based on faith as well. I believe in G-d, but don't believe it is possible to prove Him through scientific and logical paths.

All well and good. The question is why do you believe in him?

2. Furthermore, I do not feel that I have to prove G-d in order for Him to exist for me. I used to think that this was a ridiculous argument but I understand it now. If G-d has a positive impact on me and how I live my life, then what does it matter if He actually exists or not. If my faith in G-d causes me to save one thousand people, then G-d's existence is not entirely relevant. It has still caused me to make a positive impact in the world.

Once again, why do you believe in God? The reason why I ask this over and over is that for a person in my situation a reason is needed. I can't just say it would be beneficial so I'll just believe. And why can't you be a good person without the threat of God looming over you?

3. Although, this probably sound very weak, I find that G-d gives me a purpose in life. G-d helps me to strive to be a better person, to strive to improve how I life my life and who I am. Doing a good deed is not always self-rewarding, but knowing that there's something greater out there that sees my deed and might reward me, makes it all the more worthwhile.

It's odd to think that if God wasn't in your life you would not be spurred on by humanity and society to be a good person. Why do you need an all powerful being just to behave or be nice to people or be beneficial to society?

Even though you do say that you haven't included arguments for God it would be beneficial to discuss them

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard
Well, I just did claim it. What're you gonna do about it?

I'm gonna ask you to back that statement up. Can you back that statement up?

We can know what we can know about God, especially as that knowledge pertains to building relationship, because that's the way in which God interacts with us.

We can know what we know is tautology. It is unhelpful. You still haven't told me anything about what we actually know. Or even what you subjectively know and how you know it.

Quoting the Bible has value as it points us to a better understanding of God, ourselves and others. Since we are not infinite, I'm not sure that the value is infinite.

The Qur'an says that God doesn't want you to drink. The Bible says that Jesus drank wine and that we should emulate Jesus. Do you see how these conflicting claims from religious texts pose a problem? Why not follow the Muslim God? I'm glad you admit it was wrong to say infinite.

sojourner

there's a difference between decision-making based on what we can understand and evaluate logically (and this is what we do with every scientific idea that comes our way: we check it again and again, we evaluate it, and, if it fits into and furthers our understanding of the universe and seems like a more probable solution for all cases than the prior theory, we accept it, but only when it achieves this higher probability) and bringing up this idea (God, one which cannot be logically defended to any extent, as I have already demonstrated in the absence of any real arguments from you or anyone else) and then building up random embellished assertions in an attempt to cloak the fact that it is actually merely wish-making. muffin8or is not saying that we should refuse to look past our current knowledge; he's saying we shouldn't look for answers that are impossible to acquire (i.e. proof of whether or not God exists) and look instead for answers based on probability (is God likely to exist? no, is the answer, and this method is the same as is used by scientists for their discoveries, and it is this method, not any others, which are used for mankind's progress). I'm leaving aside your instinct question because, as I already showed, it's only subjective evidence, and fails to deserve to be counted as anything for anyone except the reciever of the personal experience.
And again: Why is it "necessary" to "prove" God's existence? What we know to be true and the way in which that truth is understood and has meaning for us is largely subjective. Since subjectivity is part and parcel of human experience, and since subjectivity is particularly compelling to us as particular individuals, who occupy a particular place, why should it be dismissed as unimportant? It seems to be of supreme importance. Look at how Hitler changed the world based upon subjective arguments. Look at how Ghandi influenced the world based upon subjective arguments.
Let me make an educated guess as to what muffin8or wants:
Evidence, reasoning, or logic (in any sort of form), which can be evaluated objectively to arrive at the eventual conclusion, for the existence of God.
He ain't gonna get it from me.

sojourner

Because religion is meant to give us more than human understanding.
It is? I must have missed that memo.
What is it for if it is just as likely to be wrong and manipulated as anything else.
You're saying that it ought to be, somehow, above humanity?
How do we know he's transcendent?
Can you see God? Touch God? Hear God? Me neither.
So essentially we can't know anything about God?
that's not what I said, now was it!
So you are saying because regimes toppled that is an argument for God? I say people got fed up and they rebelled. Now if an oppressive regime just one day got up and said 'I'm going' then that would be evidence for God. But God has to work through the people? The people haven't just done it themselves? He doesn't like to make himself evident, this God.
No, I'm saying that the need for regimes to topple is argument for God.
Yes, God works through humanity and the relationships we form.
Again: No one can see God's face and live.