• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proofs for God/Religion. Got a good one?

Andy12

The point is that Pascal could lose in any case if he picks the wrong God. So if he picks the Christian God the Muslims might be right and he spends an eternity with a poker up his bottom.

oh i see. but what if you say that god is just a force, like an entity true toall religions, the bottom line of all existence and all religions?

Me Myself

Back to my username
but as pascal is showing, you ought to believe in him, so that if he does exist, you wont be punished. pascal was not discussing the other gods so they dont apply

You better believe in a long nmber of gods then, actually. There is more than one god that says s/he will fuliminate you if you don´t believe in him/her.

Of course make sure to keep the jelous ones from knowing you worship others, and remember to make sure all of the gods you worship think they are your favorites above all others.

If Pascal was right, then you could be doomed either way.

Me Myself

Back to my username
oh i see. but what if you say that god is just a force, like an entity true toall religions, the bottom line of all existence and all religions?

THen hell probably doesn´t exist as something eternal, because there is only a handful of reigions that say it is eternal.

Me Myself

Back to my username
because most gods do, it's a trait uniform to all gods in known religions

But most gods are also wrathfull if you don´t worship them specificaly. So I hope you have been worshipping aphrodite, she can be really wengeful if not feeling loved. And Zeus. And a bunch of others. :rolleyes:

Andy12

But most gods are also wrathfull if you don´t worship them specificaly. So I hope you have been worshipping aphrodite, she can be really wengeful if not feeling loved. And Zeus. And a bunch of others. :rolleyes:

such ridiculous gods are clearly wrong. god is a principle, not a person.

cablescavenger

Yes. Given a pantheistic definition of deity, the mere existence of the universe/reality/nature is proof as it is itself, deity. You either agree with this definition or don't, and if you agree it is self-evidently obvious. There is no "proving" a definition of a word that I know of.

To get even more basic, "existing" means a great many things. Existence as an idea is still a type of existing. If you can think about it, it exists, in some sense of the term. Again, for self-evidently obvious reasons. Unless you want to get into the extremes of philosophical skepticism, which derails us into absurd territories. All beliefs at some point stem from acceptance of unprovable assumptions. Faith, if you will. Doesn't matter if it is belief in deity or belief in the chair you're sitting on. Some folks just take some beliefs for granted while others don't. For me, deity existing is as self-evident and obvious as the chair I'm sitting on. Deity is in the chair.
No proof then. Just pure imagination.

muffin8or

Grand Canoe Wizard

Then what about a God who sees that as indecisive and decides to punish you for it? There is no way to win with Pascal's wager

Andy12

Then what about a God who sees that as indecisive and decides to punish you for it? There is no way to win with Pascal's wager

such a god is far less likely to exist than the principle or force which underlies all nature, which is what i was taking about