• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pros and cons of attempts at perceiving many or all religions as pointing to the same conclusions

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
I don't understand why you would suggest this? I thought Bahais think that all faiths and paths are good.

In Hinduism, we also believe that, so there is never any need to suggest to anyone that they should read a Hindu scripture. All paths are good so we leave it at that. To me, it seems that you don't actually believe it, because you're trying to sway people over to your way, because its better.

We do believe this, Vinayaka. Most assuredly! I think what @InvestigateTruth was doing was correcting the misunderstanding concerning Bahá’í Teachings.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This is a part of revealed religions that puzzles me a bit.

At first glance at least there seems to be a contradiction between their certainty that God exists and is able and willing to gift literal words to humanity and expect them to be taken to heart and the plain fact that, supposedly against God's will, such revelations are overall rather unconvincing and very much at odds with each other.

It is often challenge enough to get people who agree on the legitimacy of any given revelation to be on good speaking terms with each other. To me at least that does not hint of a creator of all things backing up any such revelation.

Even if I somehow believed in a Creator God, I would have to accept that he does not much want to manifest himself through prophets and scriptures - because if he did, well, we would know it instead of hearing why we are expected to believe that it is so.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We do believe this, Vinayaka. Most assuredly! I think what @InvestigateTruth was doing was correcting the misunderstanding concerning Bahá’í Teachings.
It just seems contradictory to me, and from discussions with Bahai folk, I've learned that people do have varying takes on it. Some are far less pushy about the Bahai beliefs than others. An odd irony for sure.

Sundance

Premium Member
This is a part of revealed religions that puzzles me a bit.

At first glance at least there seems to be a contradiction between their certainty that God exists and is able and willing to gift literal words to humanity and expect them to be taken to heart and the plain fact that, supposedly against God's will, such revelations are overall rather unconvincing and very much at odds with each other.

It is often challenge enough to get people who agree on the legitimacy of any given revelation to be on good speaking terms with each other. To me at least that does not hint of a creator of all things backing up any such revelation.

The way I look at both of these, Luis, is one and the same: God is the Source of all Truth and Wisdom, Revelation, Inspiration, and His Basic Message for all people, all time, throughout every culture, religion, and nation, I am convinced, is but one and the same: be devout, live righteously. That's what is truly important, that is a universal thing. Also, the questions which many, if not all, religions try to answer (and even, scientists, too). Even so, it's all rooted in one thing: that desire to make sense out of our universe and our place in it, those fundamentally, universal questions. It's not a Christian thing, or a Muslim thing, or a Hindu thing, or a Buddhist thing, or a Pagan thing, or a Non-theist thing. That’s a human thing! The fact that they differ, that too, is The Creator's doing, as is diversity period. That's a very beautiful thing! What is NOT His Doing, however, is that human beings struggle and fight over those differences, seeing them as indications of a fundamental difference between them, when in all honesty, THEY ARE NOT. Those differences clearly exist, but their purpose for existing, what many, if not all, are built on is truly one and the same. Different ways of expressing what's really that same desire. Am I telling a lie?

Even if I somehow believed in a Creator God, I would have to accept that he does not much want to manifest himself through prophets and scriptures - because if he did, well, we would know it instead of hearing why we are expected to believe that it is so.

That is why the independent investigation of Truth (which is, coincidentally, a bedrock principle in my faith) exists. No one is forcing you to accept anything that you don't want to accept. I'm surely not. People who believe in God, and Revelation, and other such things as these, some do so because of family and society, what they're told, but others do the seeking independently. If something makes sense to them, if it strikes a chord deep within them, they will believe it, if not, then no. Either way, all is well.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
What is NOT His Doing, however, is that human beings struggle and fight over those differences, seeing them as indications of a fundamental difference between them, when in all honesty, THEY ARE NOT.

Is He capable of preventing human beings from struggling and fighting over those differences?

Either way, all is well.

What exactly do you mean by this?

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
Is He capable of preventing human beings from struggling and fighting over those differences?
Hi Yaquub,

In Bahai view, there is a covenant between God and humanity, and this covenant has two sides.
On one side God has promised that He wont leave humanity alone, and He always sends to us guidence. This is God side of covenant.
The otherside of this covenant is humanity, which is to obey God and His comandments whenever He sends to us guidence.
In Bahai view, God has done His part, and has given to humanity all that is needed for this Age, to achieve unity and peace. So, now, it is upto humanity how it will fullfill its side of covenant. Bahais also believe, human beings have free will, and God does not force them to accept and follow His revelations. However, in Bahai Scriptures, it is prophecied that after a long period of difficulties and Tests, eventually humanity, as a whole will be united, and worship the one true God.

Last edited:

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
Hi Yaquub,

In Bahai view, there is a covenant between God and humanity, and this covenant has two sides.
On one side God has promised that He wont leave humanity alone, and He always sends to us guidence. This is God side of covenant.
The otherside of this covenant is humanity, which is to obey God and His comandments whenever He sends to us guidence.
In Bahai view, God has done His part, and has given to humanity all that is needed for this Age, to achieve unity and peace. So, now, it is upto humanity how it will fullfill its side of covenant. Bahais also believe, human beings have free will, and God does not force them to accept and follow His revelations. However, in Bahai Scriptures, it is prophecied that after a long period of difficulties and Tests, eventually humanity, as a whole will be united, and worship the one true God.

With respect, that doesn't really answer my question.

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
What about it?

Sorry, I should probably have been clearer. Are you saying that it doesn't matter if people worship some form of Satanic being or take inspiration from some form of Satanic figure (without necessarily believing in them as an actual, literal entity), and on this basis do all kinds of horrible, terrible things (whatever you consider to be horrible/terrible things)? (with all due respect to any Satanists reading this, I accept that Satanism comes in many forms and Satanists have many different beliefs and ways of practicing their religion/philosophy/way of life - I am just positing one/two form(s) of Satanism here for DJ_sXe to consider).

Sundance

Premium Member
Sorry, I should probably have been clearer. Are you saying that it doesn't matter if people worship some form of Satanic being or take inspiration from some form of Satanic figure (without necessarily believing in them as an actual, literal entity), and on this basis do all kinds of horrible, terrible things (whatever you consider to be horrible/terrible things)? (with all due respect to any Satanists reading this, I accept that Satanism comes in many forms and Satanists have many different beliefs and ways of practicing their religion/philosophy/way of life - I am just positing one/two form(s) of Satanism here for DJ_sXe to consider).

Well, Ya’quub, if a ‘religion’ which takes inspiration from such an entity (literal or metaphorical) inspires truly despicable and malevolent actions, then, in my opinion, it cannot be said to be from God, who is the Infinitely Benevolent One. Truly such religions are the results of human perversities...

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
Well, Ya’quub, if a ‘religion’ which takes inspiration from such an entity (literal or metaphorical) inspires truly despicable and malevolent actions, then, in my opinion, it cannot be said to be from God, who is the Infinitely Benevolent One. Truly such religions are the results of human perversities...

So it does matter what religion somebody follows?

Sundance

Premium Member
So it does matter what religion somebody follows?

Well, in the sense of which religion one chooses, no. Insofar as the religion inspires either benevolence or malevolence in one's actions, then yes.

What are you saying, Ya’quub?

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
Well, in the sense of which religion one chooses, no. Insofar as the religion inspires either benevolence or malevolence in one's actions, then yes.
What are you saying, Ya’quub?

I think it does matter which religion someone follows. And I certainly don't think all religions point to the same conclusions.

Sundance

Premium Member
I think it does matter which religion someone follows. And I certainly don't think all religions point to the same conclusions.

Well, to each his own belief and understanding...in any case, I don't wish to fan the flames of strife and enmity between us.

As salaamu alaikum.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
In Bahai view, everytime a true Messenger of God has appeared, He confirmed previous Messengers, and also Promised of a future Manifestation.

For example, Muhammad, confirmed previous Messengers, and also promised manifestation of a person titled Mahdi, the Qaim. Jesus also, confirmes Moses and previous Messengers, while He promised after Him, Spirit of Truth shall come to guide humanity. Bahaullah also comfirmed previous Messengers, and also promised of a future Manifestation to come after a thousands year.
Buddha also, said, He is not the first Buddha and not the last one, in future another Buddha shall appear, who will teach the same Truth. This same Truth, is the indication of Oneness of Messengers and Religion of God, which from time to time is renewed. This is why, Krishna, the Founder of Hinduism said, from Age to Age He shall appear to establish the Principle of Religion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is why, Krishna, the Founder of Hinduism said, from Age to Age He shall appear to establish the Principle of Religion.

Krishna is NOT the founder of Hinduism. He is God to nearly 60% of all Hindus, or 600 million people. I know it feels like we've said this at least 100 times before, but some Hindu here will keep saying it over and over until the Bahai Faith alters this projected and false belief.