• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public displays of affection.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
My personal opinion on PDA is the same as sex. I view the two as mutual to each other because intimate affection preludes intercourse often so both are measurable to the same standard of perversion. The finality of PDA ends with hugging and holding hands. Kissing, groping, or intimate touching of any kind is not acceptable for me and I strongly dislike having it present in public.
I really do not understand how one can have a lack of shame yet still perform intimate acts in public. Quite baffling

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What is the psychological reason for someone wanting to 'bonk' in public?

It can be exciting, exhiliarating, freeing, and novel. Obviously, these aren't necessarily strong motivating factors for everyone - particularly individuals who are very constrained, neurotic, fearful, or inhibited.

Titanic

It can be exciting, exhiliarating, freeing, and novel. Obviously, these aren't necessarily strong motivating factors for everyone - particularly individuals who are very constrained, neurotic, fearful, or inhibited.

so why are you a misanthrope if you can bonk in public, shouldn't you love human's than. This is a really serious honest question. I am sorry if this question come's off as rude, I am just honestly curious.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
so why are you a misanthrope if you can bonk in public, shouldn't you love human's than. This is a really serious honest question. I am sorry if this question come's off as rude, I am just honestly curious.

People can not know each other, not like each other, or even hate each other's guts and still want to eff like rabbits. In fact, this probably occurs as often or more as people having sex because they love each other.

Titanic

People can not know each other, not like each other, or even hate each other's guts and still want to eff like rabbits. In fact, this probably occurs as often or more as people having sex because they love each other.

Can I ask why you are a Misanthrope?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I'm not the least bit bothered by hand holding, hugging and kissing. FH and I are incredibly affectionate everywhere and we aren't bothered by other people who are affectionate in this manner.

Mind you, we're not into sexual PUBLIC displays of affection. There's time and place for that sort of thing. You want to do your thing in public, that's great. Just do it discreetly. I don't really want to see your bare ***.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Yeah, maybe its just my age. :)

I'm not neurotic, fearful, inhibited, or constrained. At least I have not been diagnosed with any of those. It's really to each his own, unless it's illegal in a public place, or interferes with someone else's rights.

In Hinduism, sexuality and love that surrounds it is considered as one of the legitimate goals of life, and modesty is just a virtue. So I disagree that public shows of affection and sex are related. One seems more like streaking to me ... some variant of attention seeking behaviour, while the other is a natural pleasure of life.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I like a bit of hand holding and hugging, little kisses but not the all over each other type thing. My girlfriend can be a bit funny about it thought cos of the whole gay thing.

Aquitaine

I like a bit of hand holding and hugging, little kisses but not the all over each other type thing. My girlfriend can be a bit funny about it thought cos of the whole gay thing.

So if your country had no prejudices against Homosexuality, then your attitudes to PDA (with regards to you and your partner) would be more liberal?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
So if your country had no prejudices against Homosexuality, then your attitudes to PDA (with regards to you and your partner) would be more liberal?

No more liberal than I had already stated. My gf would just be more comfortable with the kisses, hugs and holding hands.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Given that RF has a diverse member base, spanning multiple continents and all different sections of the Religious and Cultural spectrum, I wonder:

What are your views on public displays of affection?
Where do you draw the line: hugging, holding hands, kissing etc?

It doesn't bother me. I've seen the entirety of the spectrum of PDA, and the most was a brief "OMG, look they're doing it!" reaction. Followed by a little chuckle at the novelty of it. Followed by going about my day or evening.

I realize I'm very much in the minority however.

Aquitaine

It doesn't bother me. I've seen the entirety of the spectrum of PDA, and the most was a brief "OMG, look they're doing it!" reaction. Followed by a little chuckle at the novelty of it. Followed by going about my day or evening.

I realize I'm very much in the minority however.

LOL - did they hear you laugh at them? :D

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What are your views on public displays of affection?

I've seen stuff ranging from holding hands to fellatio and cunnilingus. The latter two with very little detail, as those incidents took place in cars. I'm not bothered by it and don't particularly have any problem with it. I actually get excited when i see it.

There was a time when i'd see the more serious stuff among these displays and be like "well, that's not good" but would still laugh. Now i have nothing against it.

Where do you draw the line?

I don't have any. The only thing that can stand some discussion to me is flat out sex, and that is only because of the possibility of minors seeing it. My mind is not really made up either way on that, so even if i saw it i don't think it would bother me. So, i don't think of it as a line, rather as something that i can consider different opinions about more seriously.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My personal opinion on PDA is the same as sex. I view the two as mutual to each other because intimate affection preludes intercourse often so both are measurable to the same standard of perversion. The finality of PDA ends with hugging and holding hands. Kissing, groping, or intimate touching of any kind is not acceptable for me and I strongly dislike having it present in public.
I really do not understand how one can have a lack of shame yet still perform intimate acts in public. Quite baffling

And likewise, I don't understand why someone should think that a simple, innocent expression of love should be a source of shame.

BTW - if you expect me to restrict my behaviour based on your views, are you willing to also refrain from anything I find annoying? I have quite a list; normally, I wouldn't think of imposing it on anyone else, but sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, right?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
And likewise, I don't understand why someone should think that a simple, innocent expression of love should be a source of shame.

BTW - if you expect me to restrict my behaviour based on your views, are you willing to also refrain from anything I find annoying? I have quite a list; normally, I wouldn't think of imposing it on anyone else, but sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, right?

:D Well I would not expect you to quit because realistically speaking I could not. But personally if I was given the ability to end all sexuality on earth, I would happily do so. What would you expect an aromantic asexual to say? I do not enjoy eroticism nor intimacy of any kind.
Perhaps I am just too mundane and cynical to enjoy things like you normal sexuall actctive people do :sad: