• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Indecency, Yes or No

Skwim

Veteran Member
Far as we know. Maybe that is not the whole story.
Perhaps not, but as I told columbus, I'm not interested in adding or subtracting any element to the story, because it's simply unproductive. We can speculate this or that until the cows come home and achieve zip. So let's keep focused on the facts as I presented them.

That is the legal definition, which I care very little about.
Okay, then I'll take it you have no interest in the reason for the arrest: public indecency.

Sunstone said:
This. People have a right to appear in public without being sexually propositioned without any other introduction by total strangers. I'd call what he did sexual harassment, though, rather than public indecency. But I'm not a lawyer.
See post 11

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Put yourself in the woman's place. I'm all for free speech, but I'm having difficulty seeing how "Do you want to blow me" should be any more protected than yelling fire in a crowded theater.

It's seems to have become commonplace for people to confuse "free speech" with "saying whatever you want, whenever you want, to whomever you want."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
True story:- walking home from the grocers after dark one evening through the local red light area of Leicester (England), a young teenage asian youth said to me- "Hi, do you want me to suck your c***?", and I replied with a smile- "No I'm fine thanks" and carried on walking..:)
I'd forgotten that I too once received a similar indecent offer from a gal I didn't know.
I just politely declined. Unlike some speech (eg, fraud, yelling fire in a theater), this
resulted in no one being physically or financially harmed in any way.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's seems to have become commonplace for people to confuse "free speech" with "saying whatever you want, whenever you want, to whomever you want."
Although we're free to say whatever we like, there can be consequences. Among other things, don't make death threats, or commit slander or libel. As I see it, the quilifying element here is harm or the treat of harm, and in the OP scenario I don't see either of these. (Hurting one's feelings don't count.)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Although we're free to say whatever we like, there can be consequences. Among other things, don't make death threats, or commit slander or libel. As I see it, the quilifying element here is harm or the treat of harm, and in the OP scenario I don't see either of these. (Hurting one's feelings don't count.)

It's certainly conceivable that the woman perceived a threat of harm. I wasn't there, so I don't know, in this case. However, it seems unlikely that the type of people who would engage in such a behavior are simply asking for oral sex in a friendly and convivial manner.

ZooGirl02

I don't think that counts as indecent exposure unless he was asking her to do it in public. However, I think it comes across as callous and rude and I believe it is immoral.

dust1n

Zindīq
Put yourself in the woman's place. I'm all for free speech, but I'm having difficulty seeing how "Do you want to blow me" should be any more protected than yelling fire in a crowded theater.

Consider these things one might say to another:

"Kiss my ***"

"How about you suck my expletive?"

"Hows about you and me go back to my place?"

"I'd take you home right now."

"Go find a bag of expletives and kill yourself."

"I find you very attractive."

Etc.

Who is distinguishing between an inappropriate advance to a sexual act?

Many things in the world said by people are gonna make people feel uncomfortable, threatened, etc.

Unless some sort of explicit use of threat or violence or solicitation of illegal activities, I'm not sure how anyone expects the legal system to have the capacity to handle all the capacity for all those sorts of claims with trustworthy position.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I just want to ask a question to the males here. Do you think this is sexual harassment? Rape attempt? And if it is, does the woman deserve to be punished?
[youtube]MXmQXMzNt9w[/youtube]

I just want to underline that the definition of sexual harassment changes according to age, gender etc

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
I just want to ask a question to the males here. Do you think this is sexual harassment? Rape attempt? And if it is, does the woman deserve to be punished?
[youtube]MXmQXMzNt9w[/youtube]

I just want to underline that the definition of sexual harassment changes according to age, gender etc

Dunno bout none of that but I didn't fancy her a bit, she looked too much like Elvis in drag, and did you see her hideous shoes?- yuk!!!