• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Putin says Russia wants end to war in Ukraine

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Putin says Russia wants end to war in Ukraine | Reuters

Dec 22 (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday that Russia wants an end to the war in Ukraine and that this would inevitably involve a diplomatic solution.

Putin made the comments a day after U.S. President Joe Biden hosted Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy in the White House and promised him continued and unwavering U.S. support.

"Our goal is not to spin the flywheel of military conflict, but, on the contrary, to end this war," Putin said. "We will strive for an end to this, and the sooner the better, of course."

White House spokesman John Kirby said Putin has "shown absolutely zero indication that he's willing to negotiate" an end to the war, which began when Moscow sent troops into Ukraine on Feb. 24.

"Quite the contrary," Kirby told reporters during an online briefing. "Everything he (Putin) is doing on the ground and in the air bespeaks a man who wants to continue to visit violence upon the Ukrainian people" and "escalate the war."

Kirby reiterated that Biden was open to talks with Putin, but only after the Russian leader "showed a seriousness about negotiations" and after consultations with Ukraine and U.S. allies.

Russia has persistently said it is open to negotiations, but Ukraine and its allies suspect a ploy to buy time after a series of Russian defeats and retreats that have swung the momentum of the 10-month war in favour of Kyiv.

"I have said many times: the intensification of hostilities leads to unjustified losses," Putin told reporters.

"All armed conflicts end one way or another with some kind of negotiations on the diplomatic track," he added. "Sooner or later, any parties in a state of conflict sit down and make an agreement. The sooner this realization comes to those who oppose us, the better. We have never given up on this."

Russia says it is Ukraine that is refusing to talk. Kyiv says Russia must halt its attacks and give up all territory it has seized.

Putin also played down the significance of the Patriot air defense system that Biden agreed to supply to Zelenskiy, saying Russia would find a way to counter it.

He said it was "quite old" and did not work like Russia's S-300 system. "An antidote will always be found," he said, boasting Russia would "crack" the Patriots.

"So those who do it are doing it in vain. It's just prolonging the conflict, that's all."

Putin also said a price cap imposed on Russian oil by Western countries, designed to limit its ability to fund the war, would not damage the Russian economy. He said he would sign a decree early next week to set out Russia's response.

Putin will likely have to pull out of Ukraine in order to demonstrate his willingness to negotiate, but he's probably not going to do that. A temporary cease-fire might be possible, although even that doesn't seem like it would really work.

He may have thought he was going to have an easy victory, but now that it's gone bad for him, he wants to bail while still trying to save face. I'm not sure how this will end.

How do you see this war ending? What would a peace agreement look like? Obviously, demanding Russia's unconditional surrender is not a viable option, due to their nuclear deterrence, so how can this conflict end?

PureX

Veteran Member
Russia never wanted to start a war with Ukraine in the first place. That was all Putin. And it was a war he could not win from the start. Now he wants someone to blame it all on.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Putin says Russia wants end to war in Ukraine | Reuters

Putin will likely have to pull out of Ukraine in order to demonstrate his willingness to negotiate, but he's probably not going to do that. A temporary cease-fire might be possible, although even that doesn't seem like it would really work.

He may have thought he was going to have an easy victory, but now that it's gone bad for him, he wants to bail while still trying to save face. I'm not sure how this will end.

How do you see this war ending? What would a peace agreement look like? Obviously, demanding Russia's unconditional surrender is not a viable option, due to their nuclear deterrence, so how can this conflict end?
If Russia did the same as when they ended their war in Afghanistan. Just leave. Granted it would be nice if they paid for the destruction that they caused, but I do not see that happening.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
How do you see this war ending?

Possible scenario's I see:
- Ukraine, with help of the west, manages to hold on until some kind of coup or similar in Russia takes place removing Putin and his warmongering cohorts from power, followed by a retreat / pullback.

- Ukraine doesn't manage to last. Kiev is eventually overrun and a Russian puppet government is set up. The "official" fighting stops, but if that's the way it goes it will likely mean many more years of rebellion, incursions and general instability. Might trigger another cold war.

I don't see it ending any other way.
As long as Putin and his cohorts remain in power, there can not be any truce. Reason being is that these people have lost ALL credibility. You can't negotiate with them because you can't trust anything they say. They have no honor and just about everything they say concerning the war, the invasion,... is pure lies.

To be honest, I find the continued blatant lying even more shocking then the actual fighting in a way. It's completely insane. You can simply never trust these people again. Any of them. About anything. The bridges are all burned up.

For that reason, the only way that I see a lasting peace agreement, is when Putin and his cohorts are no longer in power.

Obviously, demanding Russia's unconditional surrender is not a viable option, due to their nuclear deterrence, so how can this conflict end?

It can only end in the exact same way that it started: by Russia's choice to end it. Just like it was their choice to start it.

Even if Ukraine would now say "you can have the annexed regions, now let's stop fighting". Do you really believe that will suddenly and magically make the fighting stop? I don't. At best, it will give Russia time to resupply, regroup and it's only a matter of time before they try to attack Kiev again.

In a sense, it's very much like the second world war.
Could it have ended in ANY OTHER way then the removal of Hitler from power, by one way or another?

At some point, they have crossed a point of no return. There's no going back now.
So I expect this war to go on to the bitter end.
The bitter end being my optional scenario's mentioned above:
- total defeat of ukraine and puppet regime (likely followed by cold war; or worse)
or
- regime change in Russia, triggered and handled from within Russia.

There's also a good chance that, given that Ukraine lasts long enough, that Russia is actually going the way of the dodo for decades to come... with Putin being removed from power (and likely killed), while his "elites" close to him fight it out among themselves for power. This might very well turn Russia into a region of warlords each controlling their own portion of it. Utter chaos and civil war.

And with that much going on, the war in Ukraine will quickly become a footnote and die out by itself.

The scary part imo, is that there are very little scenario's in which there is a return to "normalcy" and stability in the near future. And while most scenario's are worse for Russia then for the rest of the world... it's not like the rest of the world is going to be better for it. Au contraire.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Russia never wanted to start a war with Ukraine in the first place. That was all Putin. And it was a war he could not win from the start. Now he wants someone to blame it all on.
Surely. Individuals are not devoid of the long-term-memory...they still recall what certain elitists did in 2014....going to Ukraine.
It's clear that certain elites did anything to create the conflict between Ukrainians and Russians, who are very, very similar peoples (some dare say it is the same nation).

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Surely. Individuals are not devoid of the long-term-memory...they still recall what certain elitists did in 2014....going to Ukraine.
It's clear that certain elites did anything to create the conflict between Ukrainians and Russians, who are very, very similar peoples (some dare say it is the same nation).
Those wacky freemasons again? :rolleyes:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Those wacky freemasons again? :rolleyes:
I guess that culturally interesting period of the history of the West (2008-2016) produced so many unspeakable disruptions in all continents...that it's clear it was really intentional.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Possible scenario's I see:
- Ukraine, with help of the west, manages to hold on until some kind of coup or similar in Russia takes place removing Putin and his warmongering cohorts from power, followed by a retreat / pullback.

- Ukraine doesn't manage to last. Kiev is eventually overrun and a Russian puppet government is set up. The "official" fighting stops, but if that's the way it goes it will likely mean many more years of rebellion, incursions and general instability. Might trigger another cold war.

I don't see it ending any other way.
As long as Putin and his cohorts remain in power, there can not be any truce. Reason being is that these people have lost ALL credibility. You can't negotiate with them because you can't trust anything they say. They have no honor and just about everything they say concerning the war, the invasion,... is pure lies.

To be honest, I find the continued blatant lying even more shocking then the actual fighting in a way. It's completely insane. You can simply never trust these people again. Any of them. About anything. The bridges are all burned up.

For that reason, the only way that I see a lasting peace agreement, is when Putin and his cohorts are no longer in power.

It can only end in the exact same way that it started: by Russia's choice to end it. Just like it was their choice to start it.

Even if Ukraine would now say "you can have the annexed regions, now let's stop fighting". Do you really believe that will suddenly and magically make the fighting stop? I don't. At best, it will give Russia time to resupply, regroup and it's only a matter of time before they try to attack Kiev again.

In a sense, it's very much like the second world war.
Could it have ended in ANY OTHER way then the removal of Hitler from power, by one way or another?

At some point, they have crossed a point of no return. There's no going back now.
So I expect this war to go on to the bitter end.
The bitter end being my optional scenario's mentioned above:
- total defeat of ukraine and puppet regime (likely followed by cold war; or worse)
or
- regime change in Russia, triggered and handled from within Russia.

There's also a good chance that, given that Ukraine lasts long enough, that Russia is actually going the way of the dodo for decades to come... with Putin being removed from power (and likely killed), while his "elites" close to him fight it out among themselves for power. This might very well turn Russia into a region of warlords each controlling their own portion of it. Utter chaos and civil war.

And with that much going on, the war in Ukraine will quickly become a footnote and die out by itself.

The scary part imo, is that there are very little scenario's in which there is a return to "normalcy" and stability in the near future. And while most scenario's are worse for Russia then for the rest of the world... it's not like the rest of the world is going to be better for it. Au contraire.
I agree with your assessment. That putin is still referring to Ukraine as the offender is a huge tell. I would not agree to a cease fire since this will only give the advantage to Russia. Ukriane has a bigger burden since they need to rebuild infrastructure to survive while Russia doesn't. Russia can focus on rebuilding their military. And the fact that there is military training happening in Belarus is a worrying sign, perhaps a new attack from the north.

I don't see putin ending the war no matter what the cost. He is like Trump, once you have lost you lose more by admitting you lost. Those fragile egos.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I guess that culturally interesting period of the history of the West (2008-2016) produced so many unspeakable disruptions in all continents...that it's clear it was really intentional.
And one of them was the definitive rupture between the East and the West. Russia driven out of the G8...and havoc and turmoil here and there. Eight horrific years.
And of course you failed to mention why Russia's membership was suspended.

Russia has brought it's ills upon itself and I hope Putin puts a gun in his mouth while cowering in a bunker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I agree with your assessment. That putin is still referring to Ukraine as the offender is a huge tell. I would not agree to a cease fire since this will only give the advantage to Russia. Ukriane has a bigger burden since they need to rebuild infrastructure to survive while Russia doesn't. Russia can focus on rebuilding their military. And the fact that there is military training happening in Belarus is a worrying sign, perhaps a new attack from the north.

I don't see as totally one sided. In a cease fire, Ukraine could get imported munitions that are in the pipeline without fear of having them attacked en route, and training of Ukrainian soldiers on Patriot missiles and so on could proceed. They could work on restoring power to areas where Russia has destroyed the power lines or whatever.

Who gets the most advantage is beyond my knowledge.

In general, I see the most important factor being the West continuing support, no matter the cost. This is not just for Ukraine. If we let Putin get away with this, what does he do next? Remember Hitler in the 1930s.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
...........How do you see this war ending? What would a peace agreement look like? Obviously, demanding Russia's unconditional surrender is not a viable option, due to their nuclear deterrence, so how can this conflict end?

Seems as if somehow it will end because the Bible speaks of a ' final signal ' so to speak, at 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3.
The powers in charge will be saying, " Peace and Security....." so the primrose path will look 'rosy' for a while.
With backing the United Nations can be strengthened and be used by God to accomplish His will.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
All Putin has to do is withdraw his military and return occupied land to Ukraine.
These are the borders of the New Ukraine. I guess Zelensky should accept reality and abandon all hope. He should find closure and move on for the sake of his own country.

94744_12429585c8b17272b42b85a7e1da90c6.png

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
These are the borders of the New Ukraine. I guess Zelensky should accept reality and abandon all hope. He should find closure and move on for the sake of his own country.

Why should the Ukrainian people surrender their land and freedom to the faltering military of a failed dictator?

I think Pizza Hut should annex Italy.