• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Q&A about Judaism

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I appreciate the question and I appreciate dybmh stepping forward. I will try to add my own thoughts down the line a bit. I've been balancing a whole lot of things over the last little bit - Shavuot, my three grandchildren all admitted into ICU (Thankfully not as bad as it sounds, but still time consuming and nerve racking), working on behalf of a friend who cannot get the state where her loved one died to release the body for burial in another state.

Bear with me.

Thank you. I will appreciate your feedback and whatever information you choose to share as time permits. Good Shabbos.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
I appreciate the question and I appreciate dybmh stepping forward. I will try to add my own thoughts down the line a bit. I've been balancing a whole lot of things over the last little bit - Shavuot, my three grandchildren all admitted into ICU (Thankfully not as bad as it sounds, but still time consuming and nerve racking), working on behalf of a friend who cannot get the state where her loved one died to release the body for burial in another state.

Bear with me.
I'm sorry that some of your family are unwell

MayPeaceBeUpOnYou

Question was what is Judaism. Zionism is I think a subset of Judaism.
I don’t know about the word subset, zionisme means they want a Jewish state and Zionism’s it’s embedded in Judaism, Even tho I there are Jews that don't wanna be associated with zionisme because of the conflict. So it’s more a political position rather then a theological position.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I don’t know about the word subset, zionisme means they want a Jewish state and Zionism’s it’s embedded in Judaism, Even tho I there are Jews that don't wanna be associated with zionisme because of the conflict. So it’s more a political position rather then a theological position.
Modern Zionism refers to political statehood and was at first advanced largely by secular Jews (but there were always some Orthodox Jews and more joined with time). However, Zionism has a much longer history and goes back much farther than its late 19th century counterpart. Jewish aspirations for returning to the Land of Israel have been around for many centuries. In fact, in the 16th century Don Joseph Nasi effectively tried to create a Jewish autonomy under Ottoman rule in Tiberias. The many failed Jewish messiahs also reflect this longing to revitalize the Jewish homeland; some of these messiahs announced that they would lead armies to reconquer the land. And, of course, Jews have always moved from the diaspora to the Land of Israel. It was more difficult in the Middle Ages for many reasons, but there was always a Jewish population in the land and always a trickle or more of Jews coming in, either as visitors or with the hopes of establishing permanent residency. It was very common for Jews to kiss the ground when they first came to the land, because the land is holy. We have textual evidence of this custom going back to Antiquity. Many Jewish authors have written over the millennia on the importance of moving to Israel and reestablishing the Jewish kingdom there.
True, Modern Zionism is connected to 19th and 20th century nationalistic movements, but it has deeply historical roots in Judaism and Jewish history.

MayPeaceBeUpOnYou

Modern Zionism refers to political statehood and was at first advanced largely by secular Jews (but there were always some Orthodox Jews and more joined with time). However, Zionism has a much longer history and goes back much farther than its late 19th century counterpart. Jewish aspirations for returning to the Land of Israel have been around for many centuries. In fact, in the 16th century Don Joseph Nasi effectively tried to create a Jewish autonomy under Ottoman rule in Tiberias. The many failed Jewish messiahs also reflect this longing to revitalize the Jewish homeland; some of these messiahs announced that they would lead armies to reconquer the land. And, of course, Jews have always moved from the diaspora to the Land of Israel. It was more difficult in the Middle Ages for many reasons, but there was always a Jewish population in the land and always a trickle or more of Jews coming in, either as visitors or with the hopes of establishing permanent residency. It was very common for Jews to kiss the ground when they first came to the land, because the land is holy. We have textual evidence of this custom going back to Antiquity. Many Jewish authors have written over the millennia on the importance of moving to Israel and reestablishing the Jewish kingdom there.
True, Modern Zionism is connected to 19th and 20th century nationalistic movements, but it has deeply historical roots in Judaism and Jewish history.
Never heard of him, thanks for sharing.. I read a while ago that some Jews under Ottoman Empire had high postions. Was this also the case, asking if he was appointed by the ottomans empire?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Never heard of him, thanks for sharing.. I read a while ago that some Jews under Ottoman Empire had high postions. Was this also the case, asking if he was appointed by the ottomans empire?
Pretty much, yes. He and his aunt and mother-in-law Donna Gracia were very well connected in the Ottoman Empire, and he received what was basically a lordship over Tiberias. Didn't last long, though, because he died a few years later.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
The word subset means that there is a larger body of which we are talking a smaller part. In my understanding, if we consider Judaism to be to have originated from Prophet Abraham, then it is all-encompassing and secular. The first problem started at the time of Moses; he was leading the exodus. He was under pressure from various people, among which he was considered to be hostile and so, he developed the idea of YHWH, as a personal god. Now, further down today, I understand Zionism as a group of people who want to hold on to a piece of land in Israel.