• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Atheists...

Whateverist

What caused you to stop believing in the supernatural?

This is like asking if I have stopped beating my wife. Which ever way I answer, will confirm your insinuation that beating my wife is something I do or at least used to. I never stopped believing in the supernatural because that word was never associated with what I thought of as God back when I did believe.

"Supernatural" rubs me the wrong way. I think it underestimates the natural. I believe the natural can accommodate quite a lot more than what we seem to think of as 'just' nature. There is no need to insert a causal God to account for subtle things like peace of mind restored during hard times or being infused with courage in a tight spot or being touched by awe and wonder by the majesty of nature, each other or a great work of art. There are truths which are hard to hold on to which we recognize sometimes just from a peripheral glimpse. But to call them "supernatural" is to slight nature, and believers in creation should bear in mind whose nature that is. Who are we to slander it so lightly?

There are better alternatives to that word. Why not 'supra-rational'? Emphasizing it is beyond our powers of deduction or science, without creating a special category for it which would belie our inability to place it among other 'things'. Humility is needed when you consider such things. You should never trade deserved humility for the bluster of certainty.

Whateverist

The "supernatural" by definition would defy or transcend the physical limitations of nature. But we don't know what the physical limitations of nature, are. So we can't know if somerthing is supernatural or not.

Right but you could also conclude thus:

"The "supernatural" by definition would defy or transcend the physical limitations of nature. But we don't know what the physical limitations of nature, are. So we can't know if anything is or could be supernatural or not."

Or we could simply admit we cannot possibly describe the defining characteristics of objects belonging in a 'supernatural' category, making the category itself suspect.

Whateverist

Supporting supernatural beliefs made me feel stupid.

But I wonder if what was powerful in what you believed really was communicated by attributing it to something called the 'supernatural'? Did you find value in the beliefs you held before the cost of holding them required you to sign off on far fetched claims?

nPeace

Veteran Member
IOW, "Yes"

If you cannot figure out for yourself that
people know you are just making things up, being told
won't likely do much.
I don't know what would make you think I haven't figured out what atheist here think or think they know. I have spoken to you, and @F1fan.
Didn't I address what you were suggesting.... which was a mistaken idea?
...and I do understand why it popped in your head, but it's far from what I was saying.

I used to deny things too, but people know, and knew me then, as one of the most peaceful loving persons they know / knew ;).
That doesn't make us exempt from being denyers. Why, a lot of professed Christians are denyers. That doesn't mean they don't have good qualities... Some. :)

F1fan

Veteran Member
This is like asking if I have stopped beating my wife. Which ever way I answer, will confirm your insinuation that beating my wife is something I do or at least used to. I never stopped believing in the supernatural because that word was never associated with what I thought of as God back when I did believe.
That's rebellious.
"Supernatural" rubs me the wrong way. I think it underestimates the natural. I believe the natural can accommodate quite a lot more than what we seem to think of as 'just' nature. There is no need to insert a causal God to account for subtle things like peace of mind restored during hard times or being infused with courage in a tight spot or being touched by awe and wonder by the majesty of nature, each other or a great work of art.
Since no Gods are known to exist it's hard to find ANY reason to shoe horn a God into any search for truth about how things are. It's obvious that the many ideas of God exist in minds as a tradition of belief and cultures. God has been nudged out of science centries ago because it wasn't a valid or necessary assumption. To assume a God only messed up conclusions.
There are truths which are hard to hold on to which we recognize sometimes just from a peripheral glimpse. But to call them "supernatural" is to slight nature, and believers in creation should bear in mind whose nature that is. Who are we to slander it so lightly?
What is being slandered?

I think truths are harder for believers since if some phenomenon is an actual truth it is likely natural, and any supernatural casue or effect has no basis in reality. We see some believers try to mitigate this by blurring the line of nature and supernatural, like those who call nature "God". It's moving the goalposts for sure, as if by redefining what nature is they can force God into existence.
There are better alternatives to that word. Why not 'supra-rational'? Emphasizing it is beyond our powers of deduction or science, without creating a special category for it which would belie our inability to place it among other 'things'. Humility is needed when you consider such things. You should never trade deserved humility for the bluster of certainty.
I don't see how changing label-words is going to make the claims of a supernatural any more plausible or real. Thus far what many describe as supernatural is synonymous with the imaginary, so we could change the name to "the imaginary".

F1fan

Veteran Member
I don't know what would make you think I haven't figured out what atheist here think or think they know. I have spoken to you, and @F1fan.
Could it be that atheists approach religious without the svecial assumptions that various believers make? Do you think the Hindu gods Shiva, Vishnu, and Bramha exist? If not, why not?

It's clear that believers have religious beliefs they can't argue for as being true or likely true. Atheists don't use the assumptions that theists do, and that accounts for the discrepancy. So I suggest what you haven't figured out is the rules of logic that require eliminating assumptions and instead relying solely on evidence for conclusions.

nPeace

Veteran Member
So you realize we know you make things up,
but keep doing it, with no intention of changing.
No, I don't. What exactly do you think I made up - that atheists are deniers? I didn't make that up.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Could it be that atheists approach religious without the svecial assumptions that various believers make? Do you think the Hindu gods Shiva, Vishnu, and Bramha exist? If not, why not?

It's clear that believers have religious beliefs they can't argue for as being true or likely true. Atheists don't use the assumptions that theists do, and that accounts for the discrepancy. So I suggest what you haven't figured out is the rules of logic that require eliminating assumptions and instead relying solely on evidence for conclusions.
I can only answer your question, if you demonstrate that believers did make assumptions, and how they did so.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Evidently Christian means whatever the world decides.
Christians are what they decide, whether it is following what jesus taught, or joining the KKK and harassing black neighbors. It is up to any self-proclaimed Christiaan to decide how they want to be seen by others.
I explained why that's not true. You don't want to accept it... go ahead with what you want to believe.
Explanations have to meet certain criteria of reason to be accepted by critical thinkers. No one owes your views automatic credibility. You have to earn it. If you fall short, you're getting something wrong. Accusing critical thinkers of being wrong for their skilled thinking is ironic.
I thought you learned something, but that was foolish of me, knowing what I came to realize from our conversation.
You seem to have a sense of entitlement just because you are a fervent believer in ideas that can't be shown to be true objectively and via evidence.
You start off again with the same irrational biased thinking... "Christians don't come to sound conclusoons... They learn from an early age..."
These are observations. If you have evidence as to why what is observed isn't true then provide evidence and a coherent explanation, complaining is what children do.
There are Christians today... many of them, who were atheist for most their life. So "Christians don't come to sound conclusoons... They learn from an early age..." is not a sensible statement to make.
Atheists are a set of people who have spent time actively considering religious ideas. You seem to be confusing non-religiously active people as atheists. That is manipulative. You are trying to tweek the data to make it seem like there are atheists who have a change of heart over religious ideas.

What happens to some folk is they don't think about religion at all, but at some point in their life they have a crisis or get married or some other reason to identify with religious ideas. These folks have already been exposed to the ideas all their life, and now they are just deciding to value them. They don't think about religious ideas and deem them improbable, the ideas are simply dormant.
It's not well thought out, and demonstrated irrationality.
Oh the irony. Your objectivity and reasoning skill is dismal.
You say "Most theists are like little robots who can't think for themselves.", but you don't know that to be true, you just say things.
Some theists are like robots, and we see that in cases like this.
No religious person comes to rational conclusions a God exists, they learn to believe these ideas from others in their social experiences. We can say this because no believer has ever provided adequate evidence and an expanation why they have concluded a God exists. All the arguments we know about, like the Kalam, suffer a fatel flaw in that they rely on certain assumptions that are not justified.
Most do think for themselves, and that's why religion is so divided, because persons make a decision to do things their way.
MOST? Thanks for acknowledging I am at least partially correct. No doubt you exempt yourself. You are partially correct because many folks do convert from one religion to another, and while the details change it is quite easy to do because none of the general or specific ideas have any evidence. A Christian can convert to Islam quite easily because there is no consequence to rejecting Jesus as savior (except to Christians, just once you reject Christianity the consequence of damnation is rejected too).
If they didn't think for themselves, all Muslims, for example, would be following ISIS, or some other group, but they wouldn't be divide, because they can't think for themselves.
ISIS and the KKK are both extremist groups and the ideas turn off most people who have a conscience. That doesn't mean that al otherwise good person can't be indoctrinated into extremism, which has hapvened. There are cases of people being radicalized into extremism, and that is due to the weakness of the human emotions.
Then there are those who carry off the moneys from people who are misled by their wn desire to do things their way.
Oh yes. They know what they are doing. They are thinking for themselves.
Greed and theft is thinking FOR the self. The same applies to Christians or Muslims who condemn non-believers for not believing in their particular religious frameworks. I suggest Christians and Muslims have a war to the death, and the victor can get back to we atheists as purveyers of the "truth". Or do you think Muslims have the truth in equal levels as you do?
If you don't know what a Christian is, to start with, you will obviously come to the wrong conclusion.
There is no single "Christian" as a definition. At best it is exceptionally vague. Are you a liberal Universalist? Do you speak in tongues? Do you reject science because of being indocrinated by creationists, which is a religious framework? Are you a member of the KKK? All these are Christians, but they disagree on many issues.
It's like the lady that said, she was robbed by two officers at gunpoint.
When asked to describe her attackers, she said, they were handsome, well groomed, wore nice jeans and denim jackets.... and they said they were cops.
You do exactly the same. "Oh, they were well dressed in their nice Sunday clothes, and they go into their religious building... sometime hardly... and they say they are Christians.
Then he names Catholic. Oh dear. Compare their history with the apostles.
This is incoherent.
People with kind hearts exist in every society... even in the most corrupt and violent groups. You don't know that?
Good people make good atheists and good theists. Bad people make bad atheists and bad theists. Religion doesn't make bad people good.
I truly and honestly wish you demonstrated reasonableness.
Then you would realize that what you call a tactic, is not any different to what you are doing, just that we have two different views, but you only see your view as righ. Yyou can't see how wrong your thinking is, unless you are willing to look outside that box you closed you mind inside.
When you are ready to listen, we can talk, but as it stands, you are blindsided - closed minded.
You can't rebut what I reason, so you complain.
When your statements mesh with reality, it would indicate to me that there is hope of a reasonable conversation.
Think about what you are saying... outside that box.
Review it, and tell me where I am wrong... don't just talk on... saying things that are not true.
More complaining and no effort to demonstrate I'm incorrect.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I can only answer your question, if you demonstrate that believers did make assumptions, and how they did so.
Believers demonstrate their assumptions when they post their beliefs and explanations. They lack evidence and lean heavily on learned assumptions.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

"Supernatural" rubs me the wrong way. I think it underestimates the natural. I believe the natural can accommodate quite a lot more than what we seem to think of as 'just' nature. There is no need to insert a causal God to account for subtle things like peace of mind restored during hard times or being infused with courage in a tight spot or being touched by awe and wonder by the majesty of nature, each other or a great work of art. There are truths which are hard to hold on to which we recognize sometimes just from a peripheral glimpse. But to call them "supernatural" is to slight nature, and believers in creation should bear in mind whose nature that is. Who are we to slander it so lightly?

Sure, science taught me humility when I found out many things I had believed couldn't be rationally supported.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It is evident you don't know much about the Bible, so it's expected that's as far as you know.

My knowledge of the Bible is fine. My knowledge of the particular ways that you or your faith community try to hand-wave away the more ridiculous parts may be lacking.

Actually, the Bible does support what I said.
(John 3:12) If I have told you earthly things and you still do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?
How would the fleshly man understand that, anyway.
(1 Corinthians 2:14) But a physical man does not accept the things of the spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot get to know them, because they are examined spiritually.

Trying to poison the well, eh?

(Though I'm sure you've got some other verse tucked away in your back pocket that you've decided means that me calling you out for dishonest tactics somehow isn't anything that you have to worry about)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you don't know what a Christian is, to start with, you will obviously come to the wrong conclusion.
It's like the lady that said, she was robbed by two officers at gunpoint.
When asked to describe her attackers, she said, they were handsome, well groomed, wore nice jeans and denim jackets.... and they said they were cops.
You do exactly the same. "Oh, they were well dressed in their nice Sunday clothes, and they go into their religious building... sometime hardly... and they say they are Christians.

Christianity is a human religion. That's all.

Who is a Christian is determined in the exact same way that you determine who belongs to a religion you don't believe in:

- does the person identify as a member of the religion?
- do other members acknowledge the person as a member of the religion?

That's it. Questions of whether a person's beliefs are correct or endorsed by some purported deity are irrelevant to the question of which religion they are.

Then he names Catholic. Oh dear. Compare their history with the apostles.

But Catholics are Christians.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. and that he strongly urged his followers not to broadcast it?
How much do you know about Jesus? Have you actually read the Gospels... ever?
(Matthew 11:2-6) “Go and report to John what you are hearing and seeing: 5 The blind are now seeing and the lame are walking, the lepers are being cleansed and the deaf are hearing, the dead are being raised up and the poor are being told the good news. 6 Happy is the one who finds no cause for stumbling in me.”
(John 5:36) 36 But I have the witness greater than that of John, for the very works that my Father assigned me to accomplish, these works that I am doing, bear witness that the Father sent me.
(John 10:25) 25 Jesus answered them: “I told you, and yet you do not believe. The works that I am doing in my Father’s name, these bear witness about me.
the crowds were amazed and said: “Never has anything like this been seen in Israel. . . Matthew 9:33 .. all the crowds were astounded and began to say: “May this not perhaps be the Son of David?” Matthew 12:23
There's also Matthew 11:20-24; Matthew 13:53-14:2; Mark 6:1-3; Luke 10:13, 14; Luke 19:36, 37;
Yes. Jesus did give evidence to back his words, but what good is evidence to those who don't really want it, but only claim they do - Deniers. Matthew 12:24
And his followers are doing exactly that, leaving Bibles in Hotel rooms and public conveniences.
Yeah, I have read the Bible and Quran and know about the so-called sons and messengers of God. Yeah, there is a lot of healing in Hindu scriptures also, but I do not take myths/legends as truth.
Mathew: ".. this presents numerous problems. Most modern scholars hold that it was written anonymously." And then it was repeatedly edited.
Same problem with John: "Early Christian tradition, first found in Irenaeus (c. 130 – c. 202 AD), identified this disciple with John the Apostle, but most scholars have abandoned this hypothesis or hold it only tenuously – there are multiple reasons for this conclusion, .."
That is why Buddha said, "Don't take scriptures as absolute truth".
Nothing surprising.The so-called holy men of Hinduism still do that on a regular basis.
Kindly tell me about the evidence that Jesus gave.

Whateverist

Sure, science taught me humility when I found out many things I had believed couldn't be rationally supported.

While I have respect for what traditional religion is about, it seems to me, especially in the case of Christian beliefs, that they are just far too specific and subject to fads in interpretation such as a young earth and all the science which makes you choose between your faith and your common sense. People really need to be much more modest about what they personally mean by theological terms and not just go with the crowd.

Audie

Veteran Member
My knowledge of the Bible is fine. My knowledge of the particular ways that you or your faith community try to hand-wave away the more ridiculous parts may be lacking.

Trying to poison the well, eh?

(Though I'm sure you've got some other verse tucked away in your back pocket that you've decided means that me calling you out for dishonest tactics somehow isn't anything that you have to worry about)
Such dishonesty is so integral that theists cannot
see it any more than a fish sees water