• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions that evolutionists and billions of years proponents cannot answer but disprove their theories.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It does not say bats are birds.

Yes it does. Therefore I don't trust it.

13 “‘These are the birds you are to regard as unclean and not eat because they are unclean: the eagle,[a] the vulture, the black vulture, 14 the red kite, any kind of black kite, 15 any kind of raven, 16 the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, 17 the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, 18 the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, 19 the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat.

SavedByTheLord

Yes it does. Therefore I don't trust it.

13 “‘These are the birds you are to regard as unclean and not eat because they are unclean: the eagle,[a] the vulture, the black vulture, 14 the red kite, any kind of black kite, 15 any kind of raven, 16 the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, 17 the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, 18 the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, 19 the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat.
And what version did you pick.
Post the King James Bible for that.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
KJV​
Lev 11:13-19​
And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,​
And the vulture, and the kite after his kind;​
Every raven after his kind;​
And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind,​
And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl,​
And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle,​
And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.​

Please note the last one on the list....

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

NIV. Are you saying it's wrong?

13 And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray, 14 And the vulture, and the kite after his kind; 15 Every raven after his kind; 16 And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind, 17 And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl, 18 And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle,19 And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.

The NIV gives the modern interpretation of fowl which is bird.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's four different translations that show the same error for your viewing pleasure and education.

Leviticus 11:13-19
King James Version
13 And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,

14 And the vulture, and the kite after his kind;

15 Every raven after his kind;

16 And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind,

17 And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl,

18 And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle,

19 And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat. ;););)

______________________________________________________________________________________

American Standard Version
13 And these ye shall have in abomination among the birds; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the [a]eagle, and the gier-eagle, and the ospray, 14 and the kite, and the falcon after its kind, 15 every raven after its kind, 16 and the ostrich, and the night-hawk, and the sea-mew, and the hawk after its kind, 17 and the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl, 18 and the [c]horned owl, and the pelican, and the vulture, 19 and the stork, the [d]heron after its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.;););)

________________________________________________________________________________________

New American Standard Bible 1995
Avoid the Unclean
13 ‘These, moreover, you shall detest among the birds; they are [a]abhorrent, not to be eaten: the eagle and the vulture and the [c]buzzard, 14 and the kite and the falcon in its kind, 15 every raven in its kind, 16 and the ostrich and the owl and the sea gull and the hawk in its kind, 17 and the little owl and the cormorant and the [d]great owl, 18 and the white owl and the [e]pelican and the carrion vulture, 19 and the stork, the heron in its kinds, and the hoopoe, and the bat.;):cool:;)

________________________________________________________________________________________

New International Reader's Version
13 “ ‘Here are the birds you must treat as “unclean.” Do not eat them because they are “unclean.” The birds include eagles, vultures and black vultures. 14 They include red kites and all kinds of black kites. 15 They include all kinds of ravens. 16 They include horned owls, screech owls, gulls and all kinds of hawks. 17 They include little owls, cormorants and great owls. 18 They include white owls, desert owls and ospreys. 19 They also include storks, hoopoes, bats and all kinds of herons.:cool:;):p

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
NIV. Are you saying it's wrong?

13 And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray, 14 And the vulture, and the kite after his kind; 15 Every raven after his kind; 16 And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind, 17 And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl, 18 And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle,19 And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.

The NIV gives the modern interpretation of fowl which is bird.
That is the problem with the KJV. It was written in Jacobean English. That is not quite the same as modern English. It can be easily misunderstood.. Modern translations are superior since they are translated into modern English.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
KJV​
Lev 11:13-19​
And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,​
And the vulture, and the kite after his kind;​
Every raven after his kind;​
And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind,​
And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl,​
And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle,​
And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.​

Please note the last one on the list....
Sorry, I responded to you thinking it was the post of another. Guess who that is. Anyway, deleted.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Here's four different translations that show the same error for your viewing pleasure and education.

King James Version
13 And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,

14 And the vulture, and the kite after his kind;

15 Every raven after his kind;

16 And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind,

17 And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl,

18 And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle,

19 And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat. ;););)

______________________________________________________________________________________

American Standard Version
13 And these ye shall have in abomination among the birds; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the [a]eagle, and the gier-eagle, and the ospray, 14 and the kite, and the falcon after its kind, 15 every raven after its kind, 16 and the ostrich, and the night-hawk, and the sea-mew, and the hawk after its kind, 17 and the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl, 18 and the [c]horned owl, and the pelican, and the vulture, 19 and the stork, the [d]heron after its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.;););)

New American Standard Bible 1995
Avoid the Unclean
13 ‘These, moreover, you shall detest among the birds; they are [a]abhorrent, not to be eaten: the eagle and the vulture and the [c]buzzard, 14 and the kite and the falcon in its kind, 15 every raven in its kind, 16 and the ostrich and the owl and the sea gull and the hawk in its kind, 17 and the little owl and the cormorant and the [d]great owl, 18 and the white owl and the [e]pelican and the carrion vulture, 19 and the stork, the heron in its kinds, and the hoopoe, and the bat.;):cool:;)

New International Reader's Version
13 “ ‘Here are the birds you must treat as “unclean.” Do not eat them because they are “unclean.” The birds include eagles, vultures and black vultures. 14 They include red kites and all kinds of black kites. 15 They include all kinds of ravens. 16 They include horned owls, screech owls, gulls and all kinds of hawks. 17 They include little owls, cormorants and great owls. 18 They include white owls, desert owls and ospreys. 19 They also include storks, hoopoes, bats and all kinds of herons.:cool:;):p
Since it is verse 19 that contains the word bat....

AFV) And the stork, the heron according to its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(ASV) and the stork, the heron after its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(BBE) The stork and the heron, and birds of that sort, and the hoopoe and the bat.
(Brenton) and the heron, and the lapwing, and the like to it, and the hoopoe and the bat.
(BSB) the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe, and the bat.
(Cepher) And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
(Darby) and the stork; the heron after its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(DRB) The heron, and the charadroin according to its kind, the houp also, and the bat.
(ERV) storks, all kinds of herons, hoopoes, and bats.
(ESV) the stork, the heron of any kind, the hoopoe, and the bat.
(ESV+) the stork, the heron of any kind, the hoopoe, and R9the bat.
(Geneva) The storke also, the heron after his kinde, and the lapwing, and the backe:
(GW) storks, all types of herons, hoopoes, and bats.
(ISV) stork, heron of every kind, hoopoe, bat,
(JPS) and the stork, and the heron after its kinds, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(JUB) the stork, the heron according to her species, the lapwing, and the bat.
(KJV) And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
(KJV-1611) And the Storke, the Heron after her kinde, and the Lapwing, and the Batte.
(KJVA) And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
(KJV-BRG) And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
(LEB) and the stork, the heron according to its kind and the hoopoe and the bat.
(LITV) and the stork, the heron according to its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(LSV) and the stork, the heron after its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(MKJV) and the stork, the heron according to its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(NET) the stork, the heron of any kind, the hoopoe, and the bat.
(RV) and the stork, the heron after its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(TLV) the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe, and the bat.
(TS2009) and the stork, the heron after its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(WEB) the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe, and the bat.
(WEBA) the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe, and the bat.
(Webster) And the stork, and the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
(YLT) and the stork, the heron after its kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sorry, I responded to you thinking it was the post of another. Guess who that is. Anyway, deleted.
There are some simple tests that show if one is being an honest interlocutor in Bible debates. The bats birds case is one of them. Does it prove that the Bible is wrong? Not even close. But if one cannot even own up to one basic error in the Bible then it is clear that they will not be honest elsewhere where it matters.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Since it is verse 19 that contains the word bat....

AFV) And the stork, the heron according to its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(ASV) and the stork, the heron after its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(BBE) The stork and the heron, and birds of that sort, and the hoopoe and the bat.
(Brenton) and the heron, and the lapwing, and the like to it, and the hoopoe and the bat.
(BSB) the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe, and the bat.
(Cepher) And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
(Darby) and the stork; the heron after its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(DRB) The heron, and the charadroin according to its kind, the houp also, and the bat.
(ERV) storks, all kinds of herons, hoopoes, and bats.
(ESV) the stork, the heron of any kind, the hoopoe, and the bat.
(ESV+) the stork, the heron of any kind, the hoopoe, and R9the bat.
(Geneva) The storke also, the heron after his kinde, and the lapwing, and the backe:
(GW) storks, all types of herons, hoopoes, and bats.
(ISV) stork, heron of every kind, hoopoe, bat,
(JPS) and the stork, and the heron after its kinds, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(JUB) the stork, the heron according to her species, the lapwing, and the bat.
(KJV) And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
(KJV-1611) And the Storke, the Heron after her kinde, and the Lapwing, and the Batte.
(KJVA) And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
(KJV-BRG) And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
(LEB) and the stork, the heron according to its kind and the hoopoe and the bat.
(LITV) and the stork, the heron according to its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(LSV) and the stork, the heron after its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(MKJV) and the stork, the heron according to its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(NET) the stork, the heron of any kind, the hoopoe, and the bat.
(RV) and the stork, the heron after its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(TLV) the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe, and the bat.
(TS2009) and the stork, the heron after its kind, and the hoopoe, and the bat.
(WEB) the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe, and the bat.
(WEBA) the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe, and the bat.
(Webster) And the stork, and the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
(YLT) and the stork, the heron after its kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.
All these translations repeat the same error. The Bible says bats are birds. That is a literal translation of biblical claim that is in error.

Edit: I removed the erroneous parts that were completely the fault of my lapse in observation. I thought the text above was neutral enough to retain.

Again, my apologies @McBell.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I understand your confusion. So many threads with similar titles. It's all getting too much so I've moved on to insulting people I respect in the joke forums to regain my sanity.
You haven't insulted me!!

Now I feel insulted (frowning face emoji, sorry . . . my tablet won't let me use those. My PC will).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
All these translations repeat the same error. The Bible says bats are birds. That is a literal translation of biblical claim that is in error.

You weren't assuming the Bible was error free were you? According to your rules, that means the entire book can be eliminated. Now I don't believe that of course, but that is apparently the standard you believe and have tried to apply to science. What a pickle. How would someone flip flop out of this and hopefully hit water?
Simple denial.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It does not say bats are birds.
You listed verse 19 of Leviticus from 32 different translations that all show that the Bible tells us that bats are birds. Thank you for posting that evidence of this clear error. The number of different translations supports that it isn't definitively a translation error and must be from the source material.

What are you doing to do now?