• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape Victims: Do They Have a Responsibility in Getting Themselve Raped?

Do rape victims have a responsibility in having been raped?

• Yes, they always do.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • No, they never do.

Votes: 36 80.0%
  • It depends; sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hello all.

Some say rape victims are completely and always never responsible for getting raped, some others say that they are and they should have considered "this and that". Or does it depend for different cases, and on what?

What do you think of this?

Edit:
I'm not gonna vote.

Edit2:
I initially have nothing to do with this debate. I'm raising the topic to debate so I can get information in something I have no clue in. Please don't bash me.

Edit3:
Guys, forgive my English. By "responsibility" here, I mean the reasons sometimes used to blame the victims, and that includes the reasons thought if the victims avoided they could have not fall victims.

Edit4:
Those who vote, cannot be known by the public. So don't worry about getting known, if you are.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Hello all.

Some say rape victims are completely and always never responsible for getting raped, some others say that they are and they should have considered "this and that". Or does it depend for different cases, and on what?

What do you think of this?
According to the FBI, this is the standard definition of rape:

The new Summary definition of Rape is: “Penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim.”

If a person does not give permission for any of the above activities to occur, it's considered rape.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't think there are people on this planet who may find some extenuating circumstances in the crime of rape.
At least, when I studied criminal law at college, and I analyzed the article about rape (art. 609 bis It.Cr.C), I saw there are absolutely no extenuating circumstances. There are only aggravating circumstances.

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Seriously, this question shocks me a little bit. I don't think there are people on this planet who may find some extenuating circumstances in the crime of rape.
At least, when I studied criminal law at college, and I analyzed the article about rape (art. 609 bis It.Cr.C) there absolutely no extenuating circumstances. There are only aggravating circumstances.

It rather confuses me more than it does shocking you. I keep hearing people say things that raised this question to my mind. I'm not making it up.

I don't really see what's shocking in asking question by those completely have no idea or clue of things they don't have experience in.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Is this a serious response? This isn't a joke thread.
It certainly isn't a joke............I will tell you something Buttercup, I myself as a young male was raped by two men while at a party, my drink was drugged, I couldn't move my arms and legs, and yet I can say what I have said, and I know it can happen.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't really see what's shocking in asking question by those completely have no idea or clue of things they don't have experience in.
Yes, sorry, I shouldn't have said that.
It's just that I was referring to the people who (as you said) think that victims should have considered "this" and "that", that is, people who speak of extenuating circumstances.
:shrug:I'm only expressing my amazement, thinking of the juridic discipline of my country.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
It certainly isn't a joke............I will tell you something Buttercup, I myself as a young male was raped by two men while at a party, my drink was drugged, I couldn't move my arms and legs, and yet I can say what I have said, and I know it can happen.
Right. That was rape and I'm very, very sorry that happened to you, but why are you responsible for any of it? Did you tell them it was ok have sex with you?

Edit: I want to edit this so you don't feel the need to answer as the last question was framed in a rhetorical sense. If you were drugged against your wishes and acts happened that you didn't want to happen, none of that is your fault. Again, I'm sorry. That was a terrible thing to happen to you.

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Yes, sorry, I shouldn't have said that.
It's just that I was referring to the people who (as you said) consider "this" and "that", that is, the extenuating circumstances, in the crime of rape.
:shrug:I'm only expressing my amazement, thinking of the juridic discipline of my country.

Oh no, I'm not complaining :p

It just kinda confused me.

Sees

Dragonslayer
If the person who was raped made certain poor choices that made them more vulnerable/susceptible to rape (or any other violent crime) than usual...you could find some fault in those poor choices perhaps - you really can't lay the responsibility of rape (or any other violent crime) on them though.

You would have to find circumstances which you believe make rape justifiable for it to even start making any sense.

I don't think most places in the world even think of blaming the rape victim as a possibility.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Nobody is ever 'asking for it.' When you decide (however suddenly) that you don't want sex with someone and you say 'no' this doesn't mean 'I don't want to, but go ahead and force yourself upon me anyway, I was asking for it.' It means no.

It's like when you suddenly decide you're not that hungry after all. You don't expect your host to force the food down your throat anyway because you were asking for it.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Right. That was rape and I'm very, very sorry that happened to you, but why are you responsible for any of it? Did you tell them it was ok have sex with you?
It was at a gay party and I got a bit drunk, and all of a sudden I was out of it, the men were laughing at me, and I tried to get away from them but could use my legs, I knew what was happening but again I could move my legs and arms, I suppose I shouldn't have been at the party, plus drinking ?. I wasn't game to go to the police, it was too embarrassing for me, and it is with many other guys who get raped, not many ever report the rape.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
It was at a gay party and I got a bit drunk, and all of a sudden I was out of it, the men were laughing at me, and I tried to get away from them but could use my legs, I knew what was happening but again I could move my legs and arms, I suppose I shouldn't have been at the party, plus drinking ?. I wasn't game to go to the police, it was too embarrassing for me, and it is with many other guys who get raped, not many ever report the rape.
In my mind, the surrounding circumstances never matter.

No person has the right to ever enter your body without you consciously allowing it to happen, even if you decide at the last second you don't want to have sex.

It's your body, you own it.

I want to hug you, I hope you don't mind. :glomp:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
When someone sexually turns one on and when it comes to the crunch, then backs out, that's just one example.

I've had that happen to me. People have backed out on me. Once even a second or two before penetration. This may amaze and confound you, but in no case did I feel forced to go ahead and rape the woman. Absolutely astonishing, I know.