• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape Victims: Do They Have a Responsibility in Getting Themselve Raped?

Do rape victims have a responsibility in having been raped?

• Yes, they always do.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • No, they never do.

Votes: 36 80.0%
  • It depends; sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I want to know Revolt's opinion, if he wishes.
@Revoltingest
I don't find my answer among the poll options.
Moreover, the word "responsible" will mean different things to different people.
So I'll just make some statements.....
1) No victim deserves to be assaulted.
2) People ought to conduct their affairs to optimize their own safety, & that of others (to the extent practical).
3) Anyone who disagrees with #1 or #2 is a crazy poopy head.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
But that sense or meaning of "moral responsibility" doesn't work so well when we speak of someone's "responsibility" to, say, avoid extremely risky behaviors that might reasonably lead to their being stolen from, murdered, or raped. I don't know of any serious philosopher who would argue, for instance, that we have a moral responsibility or obligation not to engage in extremely risky behaviors that might reasonably lead to our being stolen from, murdered, or raped.

Exactly. In my country there are two main degrees of culpability: intent (dolus) and recklessness\negligence (culpa). Neither of them have something to do with morality. They have to do with juridic duties. I give you a practical example.
A prostitute engages in a very risky behavior, which is morally despicable. Although, prostitution is not a crime, so a prostitute who is raped, has zero responsibility, according to the Italian criminal law. The responsibility is all reversed onto the rapist, regardless of how morally despicable the behavior of the prostitute is.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think it is possible for anyone who is not suffering of serious psychological issues to "ask for" rape. So no.

Sultan Of Swing

If a woman decides to walk home alone in a big city at 2AM wearing practically nothing, I would call that unintelligent.

However, any man who decides to do anything to her is 100% fully responsible because that is his decision, he isn't a mindless sex animal, and deserves a good chop to the wee-wee.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If a woman decides to walk home alone in a big city at 2AM wearing practically nothing, I would call that unintelligent.

However, any man who decides to do anything to her is 100% fully responsible because that is his decision, he isn't a mindless sex animal, and deserves a good chop to the wee-wee.
I was going to offer her a blanket (to keep warm while walking), but your punishment is too strong a disincentive.

And yes, I carry blankets (for moving furniture & machinery) in me truck.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I've had that happen to me. People have backed out on me. Once even a second or two before penetration. This may amaze and confound you, but in no case did I feel forced to go ahead and rape the woman. Absolutely astonishing, I know.

You failed in the foreplay, that's why.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

What if he was over drunk?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He is responsible for getting drunk, and for the consequences thereof.
If a person gets drunk, & as a result is assaulted, is this person responsible for the consequences?

Caution:
The above is a sneaky question.
It serves to illustrate the problems of "responsibility" having different meanings & connotations.

Sultan Of Swing

If a person gets drunk, & as a result is assaulted, is this person responsible for the consequences?

Caution:
The above is a sneaky question.
It serves to illustrate the problems of "responsibility" having different meanings & connotations.
He is responsible for his own actions, not things that happen to him against his will, though he does deserve to be called dense, stupid and a nincompoop.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He is responsible for his own actions, not things that happen to him against his will, though he does deserve to be called dense, stupid and a nincompoop.
You chose a male pronoun in dealing with my gender neutral scenario.
Would you say the same for a female who is raped?

Caution:
Sneakiness again.

HonestJoe

Murder victims: Do they have a responsibility for getting themselves murdered?
If a mid-level drug dealer tries to con the international gangsters he gets his supplies from so they kill him as an example to others, doesn’t he have some responsibility for the situation? The killers and the people who ordered them remain just as guilty for their crimes but we can’t ignore that the actions of the victim played a significant role in his own death.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Isn't he responsible for being drunk at first place, regardless of whom did the assault?

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Guys, thanks for the feed back. Rape is not something we have serious problems with, so you are the best source for such information. Need more info tho.

Forgive me, rhetoric is my native language.

No, rape victims are not responsible for getting themselves raped. That is an extremely ridiculous suggestion.

No problem, we're buddies.

Now, how does it feel posting something meaningful instead?

;)

I don't find my answer among the poll options.
Moreover, the word "responsible" will mean different things to different people.
So I'll just make some statements.....
1) No victim deserves to be assaulted.
2) People ought to conduct their affairs to optimize their own safety, & that of others (to the extent practical).
3) Anyone who disagrees with #1 or #2 is a crazy poopy head.

But... I agree with 1&2 above! This is not fair!

I don't think it is possible for anyone who is not suffering of serious psychological issues to "ask for" rape. So no.

"Asked for it" as in the eloquent "you deserved it because of your actions" or do you mean the literal meaning of the words?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If a mid-level drug dealer tries to con the international gangsters he gets his supplies from so they kill him as an example to others, doesn’t he have some responsibility for the situation? The killers and the people who ordered them remain just as guilty for their crimes but we can’t ignore that the actions of the victim played a significant role in his own death.

Precisely how "don't we ignore the actions of the victim"? By giving the killers lesser sentences? What exactly do you mean in concrete terms?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Exactly. In my country there are two main degrees of culpability: intent (dolus) and recklessness\negligence (culpa). Neither of them have something to do with morality. They have to do with juridic duties. I give you a practical example.
A prostitute engages in a very risky behavior, which is morally despicable. Although, prostitution is not a crime, so a prostitute who is raped, has zero responsibility, according to the Italian criminal law. The responsibility is all reversed onto the rapist, regardless of how morally despicable the behavior of the prostitute is.

I see your point. It's an interesting angle. Thanks!