• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons to not believe in God? Discuss....

Sees

Dragonslayer
The main reason I feel to not believe in god is that it holds you back from truly living your life to its fullest.

I believe in multiple Gods and try to live each day like a rockstar :guitar1:

Some theists and atheists both live sad, little lives - making many excuses and wanting God/Government to hold their hands and take care of everything.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I believe in multiple Gods and try to live each day like a rockstar :guitar1:

Some theists and atheists both live sad, little lives - making many excuses and wanting God/Government to hold their hands and take care of everything.

I certainly agree with that.

Truth_Faith13

For a few examples, try Genesis 19:31-38; Genesis 29:21-30:24; Exodus 21; Number 31; 2nd Chronicles 18:18-22; Matthew 10:34-39; Luke 9:54; Acts 13:7-12; 1st Corinthians 14:34-35; 1st Tessalonicenses (sp?) 2:13-18; 1st Timothy 2:9-12

After reading those passages I can see why you don't like them, however they are not enough for me not to believe....some of them aren't about God, people make mistakes, some of them are cultural for the time (slaves), Luke 9:54, Jesus rebukes them in Luke 9:55, what's wrong with telling a woman to not worry about what she looks like and to focus on God (in church) :shrug: people are so worried about looks these days it's nice to know there is someone who doesn't care and will take me as I am.

I think it was monk of reason who mentioned the dead language thing...the language wasn't dead back then....the bibles books were written (supposedly) in the 1st century and only compiled in the 4th century. It's not going to equal our culture and language today. Some of it is symbolic, some just stories & some commandments. To me I can't not believe in a God because someone did something bad in a story which God had nothing to do with?

Any others? :D

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
After reading those passages I can see why you don't like them, however they are not enough for me not to believe....some of them aren't about God, people make mistakes, some of them are cultural for the time (slaves), Luke 9:54, Jesus rebukes them in Luke 9:55, what's wrong with telling a woman to not worry about what she looks like and to focus on God (in church) :shrug: people are so worried about looks these days it's nice to know there is someone who doesn't care and will take me as I am.

I think it was monk of reason who mentioned the dead language thing...the language wasn't dead back then....the bibles books were written (supposedly) in the 1st century and only compiled in the 4th century. It's not going to equal our culture and language today. Some of it is symbolic, some just stories & some commandments. To me I can't not believe in a God because someone did something bad in a story which God had nothing to do with?

Any others? :D

I'd rather not bother. Those are plenty enough for me.

I realize that there are who find reason to disregard them and believe that there is a God and that the Bible was somehow inspired by him. I don't claim to truly understand that, but I accept that as a reality of life.

That is however not a path I have any personal interest in.

It is just so unconvincing, so dangerous and of such dubious worth, far as I am concerned...

Now, if you want to try and convince me about why it only looks like the Bible is evidence that God does not exist, that is your prerrogative. I just won't promise to be receptive.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Unfortunately, people do. The amount of times people have referred to the SAB seriously is crazy.

Eh. Why would anyone do that unless they took the Bible seriously?

I think you may have missed the point. People may have wanted to point out that they had no good reason to take the Bible seriously and you somehow assumed that they did anyway.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
First instance: I don't need a reason = I just don't = I don't have a reason

Second instance: a list of reasons as you have just done. You wouldn't agree with a religion which has those passages. That is a reason. Even if it's "I don't like how Christians act" = that is a reason.

Everyone has a reason for everything they do and don't do in life whether they know it or not. To say they don't or to say they don't have a choice is the same as saying they don't have control over their lives. (Obviously you can't change your genetics!)

You see, I'm afraid I must agree with Alceste on this matter. There is indeed no need for a reason to disbelieve.

Belief needs a reason, even if it is just arbitrary decision. Disbelief just is. It demands no justification, no "reason for being".

And belief in God, IMO, does in fact demand more of a reason than the average belief. All the more so if we are talking about some specific conception among the thousands that exist. And even more so if we are talking about the Abrahamic one.

That is just the way it is.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Eh. Why would anyone do that unless they took the Bible seriously?
Fuel for their opinions.

I think you may have missed the point. People may have wanted to point out that they had no good reason to take the Bible seriously and you somehow assumed that they did anyway.
I see what you're saying, but that's not the case. If only.

Truth_Faith13

You see, I'm afraid I must agree with Alceste on this matter. There is indeed no need for a reason to disbelieve.

Belief needs a reason, even if it is just arbitrary decision. Disbelief just is. It demands no justification, no "reason for being".

And belief in God, IMO, does in fact demand more of a reason than the average belief. All the more so if we are talking about some specific conception among the thousands that exist. And even more so if we are talking about the Abrahamic one.

That is just the way it is.

But justification = proof = evidence.

A reason isn't any of those...?

Unless you mean reason & logic which would be similar, but that's not what I'm on about. When I say reason, I mean "whatever it is that makes you not believe" even if it is "I've never thought about it"

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Unless you mean reason & logic which would be similar, but that's not what I'm on about. When I say reason, I mean "whatever it is that makes you not believe" even if it is "I've never thought about it"

Do you believe in fairies?
Unicorns?
Bigfoot?

Why not?

I may very well not have a reason to not believe something.
Especially if there is no reason to believe a particular something.

Truth_Faith13

Do you believe in fairies?
Unicorns?
Bigfoot?

Why not?

I may very well not have a reason to not believe something.
Especially if there is no reason to believe a particular something.

No because there isn't enough evidence for them....which is a reason!
Having no reason to believe is itself a reason.

It's an answer to the question "why?" It does not imply proof, evidence or justification is needed.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Classic god of the gap

I bet you are in denial over that particular dogma as well, right?

Logic....not dogma.

Wanting to say a dead thing made your spirit?
Your chemistry can be explained.

Your disbelief might have an excuse ....or reason.....
according to some of these postings .....so far.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
No because there isn't enough evidence for them....which is a reason!
Having no reason to believe is itself a reason.

It's an answer to the question "why?" It does not imply proof, evidence or justification is needed.

The problem I had and the problem they are probably having is the difference in what you are trying to discuss. You are asking what the "reason" is for atheism is. They assume you are asking for "evidence for atheism" because that my friend is a VERY tired out topic here.

So to differentiate you are asking for "personal reason" while they are discussing "evidence based reasons for belief and the logical default of disbelief".

Truth_Faith13

The problem I had and the problem they are probably having is the difference in what you are trying to discuss. You are asking what the "reason" is for atheism is. They assume you are asking for "evidence for atheism" because that my friend is a VERY tired out topic here.

So to differentiate you are asking for "personal reason" while they are discussing "evidence based reasons for belief and the logical default of disbelief".

Yes thank you :D you've explained it wonderfully!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

It seems to me that you are seeing a symetry where there is none.

Disbelief is just that. It exists. It needs no reason for being, while belief tends to.

A believer in God's existence, and particularly a believer in the Bible - about as arbitrary a belief as they come - can't reasonably demand a justification for disbelief.

Quite on the contrary, it is him who should offer reasons if the difference of opinion becomes an issue.

That is simply a consequence of the very nature of belief.

"I don't believe because the world is nothing like one linked to the Bible's God would be" is not enough?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes thank you :D you've explained it wonderfully!

Well, by that token, there is certainly still no need for a personal reason.

It is an odd thought that one might need such a reason, really. In this universe, that does not make a lot of sense.