• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion And Violence

Orias

Left Hand Path
I agree. Is it not then reasonable and responsible to seek to entertain such individuals?

*I'm not really off topic in my own demented imagination. It usually goes around and back to where it was on topic. I think I call it ring theory.

Maybe, it depends on how the person is entertained, or if both people interacting are the same type.

Not really. It might lead to a lack of imagination.

Maybe, but according to my definition violence usually occurs in spontaneous and majorly fatal conclusion.

But there is always a little wiggle room for change, maybe.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe, it depends on how the person is entertained, or if both people interacting are the same type.
[/COLOR]

Yes absolutely! It is my opinion that a person who lives on the edge of violence (to do violence) can be made worse if the diversion is not real.

Same type? Oh please! No! A suicidal person being helped by another suicidal person? I don't see it ever happening. Maybe that is not what you mean.

Maybe, but according to my definition violence usually occurs in spontaneous and majorly fatal conclusion.

But there is always a little wiggle room for change, maybe

The "wiggle room" is something to be sought and that is what I do.

Do you mean the obsession with violence results in fatal conclusion? I think I agree with that.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Let's perhaps bring this thing back on topic? The religions I know of are obsessed with violence. Can it end any other way than violent? It can not be expected to end any other way.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Because every person has some responsibility for every one else we should not judge each other.

Maybe you mean that we shouldn't condemn others (at least easily)? Because judging is a needed and unavoidable activity.

How do you feel when you are judged?

I have been known to seek that opportunity. Often enough I crave it.

How do you feel when you apprehend a superior approached toward yourself?

What again? I don't understand what you meant.

How do you feel when you are being patronized?

It depends a lot on the situation. Doesn't it for you? For anyone?

You balk. How do you feel when you balk? Do you ever feel angry?

A lot. I have a lot of repressed anger, mostly due to the disastrous raising I was subjected to.

What do SOME angry people do?

Foolish things?

And there is such a thing as going beyond one's own business.

Yes, there is. But it happens far less often than many claim.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Let's perhaps bring this thing back on topic? The religions I know of are obsessed with violence. Can it end any other way than violent? It can not be expected to end any other way.

Violence may well be a topic worth obsessing about, as long as it involves seeking a solution to it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is difficult talking like this but I'll give it a go....

We should refrain from judging BEFORE an offence.

I never crave being judged.

What again? I don't understand what you mean

"a superior approach" is what every religion does.

I hate being patronized. defined: Treat with an apparent kindness that betrays a feeling of superiority. Who is my superior?

The rest we agree on perfectly I guess. :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why would a religion's approach be necessarily superior? I don't think that comes at all naturally.

External, and hopefully helpful, yes. But superior? Sounds odd to me.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I suppose he would be. But even in theistic religions, God and the religion are not one and the same.

Besides, I don't even believe in God.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Some would naturally not want to think that something which the value so much (faith) could be neutral or even harmful.
I don't profess to have the answer, but this article seems a case wherein it poses harm.

some ancient religions required human sacrifices

they were obviously harmful religions....they were also called false religions according to the bible

and nowhere in the bible do you find the recipe for performing an exorcist.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Yes absolutely! It is my opinion that a person who lives on the edge of violence (to do violence) can be made worse if the diversion is not real.

I don't know what type of diversion you're speaking of. The mundane? I guess it could be a diversion.

Same type? Oh please! No! A suicidal person being helped by another suicidal person? I don't see it ever happening. Maybe that is not what you mean.

I think more along the lines of two similar types psychology sets if you will, that kind of reflect upon each other. Also testosterone, its a tedious things.

The "wiggle room" is something to be sought and that is what I do.

Is that supposed to be turning the other cheek? Sorry thats not for me. :D

Do you mean the obsession with violence results in fatal conclusion? I think I agree with that.

Well, the saying goes, those who live by the sword, die by the sword.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is that supposed to be turning the other cheek? Sorry thats not for me.

No! It is more like this: I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

Turning the other cheek is not me either. :polarbaby:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know what type of diversion you're speaking of. The mundane?

Not the mundane, no. It is the opposite of mundane but not for the flesh, for the spirit. It is why I hate doctrine and rhetoric so much. Rhetoric (attached to a serious lack of sincerity) is mundane almost all the time. Truth is never mundane imo.

atanu

Premium Member
I wonder....is this an example of violence which stems solely from religious beliefs, rather than some evil within the believer?
Parents 'tried to exorcise daughter, 10' - Telegraph
Let's presume they're normal parents who love the kid, & do what they do only because they believe they're helping her.
Without a religious prescription to treat her so badly, it wouldn't happen.

If we believe that we are robots then no one can be faulted. If we believe that we have discriminative wisdom then scripture cannot be the sole offender. More so, since all scripture mainly talk of compassion, love, forbearance, patience, and unity.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
In that sense, there is no such thing as going beyond anyone's business. We are all co-responsible for everyone else.

Ideally this is the job of society at large. For the most part, individuals can do very little for 'everyone else'.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Ideally this is the job of society at large. For the most part, individuals can do very little for 'everyone else'.

Still, society is composed of individuals and their sinergy. That we have held on to the view that only a few "select" can or should have responsibility is an odd misfortune, a holdover from the time when there was a belief in the divine power of Kings.