• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion,homosexuality & prostitution

Ethics and religion

• Total voters

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I believe religion is about human ethics which make us better than animals.

For example human feels a shame of doing things which animals can usually do.

My goal from this thread and the poll is to see the relationship between ones ethics and religion.

Please choose according to your inner feeling and with sincerity.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Really? It seems to me that religions -- all too often -- reinforce and channel some of the less desirable human instincts in ways that are detrimental to human welfare and happiness.

For instance, the pulpits of several religions seem to get used all too often to support the powers that be in their wars. Exceptions are notable, but less frequent than one would expect them to be if religions were consistently about making us better.

brokensymmetry

ground state

My goal from this thread and the poll is to see the relationship between ones ethics and religion.

Oh well, it' s hard to see why anyone ought to think homosexuality is wrong. Further, if two adults freely engage in a market exchange for services I am not sure what is clearly wrong about that either. I think the more 'animal' thing here is to decide to hate some activity because you personally find it distasteful, rather than providing solid reasons based on uniform principles, to argue for why others ought to think it is wrong. It's very easy to be disgusted,(other) animals manage that just fine.

Levite

Higher and Higher
First of all, what poll?

Second of all, how are we to judge the ethics of a religion when religious traditions evolve, and their ethics evolve along with them? And how are we to determine what elements of religious ethics are entirely and purely theological in origin, versus what elements are shaped and colored to varying degrees by the culture of the religious group, and/or of the societies surrounding, interacting with, and influencing the culture of the religious group?

brokensymmetry

ground state
Alright I gave my attempt on the poll. I admit I wouldn't be happy with my daughter working as a prostitute, but there are many things I'd rather she not do that I think ought to be allowable. And the question about my mom is just too weird...

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Oh now I see a poll.

Yeah....nothing about rape or child brides. At least murder is mentioned, I guess if you consider the person whose life is about to end "innocent" or not.

HexBomb

There's not enough information for a lot of these. Why does my daughter or mother want to work as a prostitute? Are they doing it safely and legally? Do I know that the playboy or playgirl will be 'playing,' me? What kind of trouble am I saving an innocent person from? Why am I being ordered to kill an innocent person?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I find a lot of the poll options to be irrelevant to ethics, and it seems to me that more often than not, tying sexuality and especially one's sexual orientation to questions of ethics is based on ad hoc arguments to justify one's already held beliefs, some variation of a supposed answer to the Euthyphro dilemma, or a blend of both that usually involves circular logic (e.g., simultaneously making the statements "It is unethical to do X because God forbade it" and "God forbade X because it is unethical").

• I don't think one's sexual orientation and preferences per se make them less ethical. In my opinion, the main part about any person's sexuality that is related to ethics is whether or not the people with whom they have sex or engage in any kind of sexual activity are adults who have provided informed consent. As long as all involved parties aren't harming anyone or forcing them to engage in any activity against his/her will, then I think whatever they decide to do with each other is up to them and isn't something that reflects negatively on their ethics at all.

• I believe prostitution can carry a lot of risks for the person who works in it as well as the person who seeks prostitutes' services, but with proper protection and safety measures, those risks can be reduced at least to an extent. I certainly don't think it's a positive reflection of a society's state of affairs when some people are forced to work as prostitutes to cover their basic needs, so in such a society, it seems to me that the ethical thing to do would be to try to reform that society's state of affairs so that people wouldn't have to accept jobs they find demeaning and would otherwise never do out of their own choice.

If a person can freely choose between different jobs, takes proper safety measures, and realizes what risks working as a prostitute entails but chooses to work as one anyway, then I don't think they should be forced not to do so. That would be a free, informed choice, and I don't see any reason to strip away the right of people to make free decisions concerning their lives for themselves.

• In my view, having sound ethics doesn't mean one has to be religious, which is why I think the poll is flawed because it is based on a faulty premise (that is, the implication that lack of belief automatically makes one's ethics questionable or unreliable). I would even argue that a person's religious beliefs can actually be an indication that they don't have sound ethics in some cases.

For one example, some people's religious beliefs seem to inspire them to be misogynistic, and they can also inspire them to show contempt for people merely based on their sexual orientation. Another example is intolerance to people who hold different beliefs and/or people who lack belief in any religion. So it seems to me that the argument that people can only be ethical if they're religious is, again, based on circular logic: "Sound ethics are dictated by religion; therefore, only religious people can have sound ethics. Because those ethics are sound, religion dictated them."

• The options in the poll seem to be influenced by a particular set of beliefs, which is not shared by all religions. There are religious people who don't view homosexuality as unethical or undesirable in any way, and there are also religious people who believe that there's nothing wrong with prostitution as long as the person working in it isn't coerced or exploited into accepting to work in it.

Overall, I think that a lot of the questions you asked are slanted toward a particular type of dogma, and some of them (especially the ones about sexual orientation) don't even have anything to do with ethics or lack thereof, in my view. It seems to me that questions about issues that actually have any significance when it comes to their effect on other people's lives would be more relevant to ethics than most of the ones you asked here.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Yeah, I'm having some issues with the poll options.

I'm not sure several have anything to do with ethics, just cultural norms. And others are unclear: for example, I may not be happy if my daughter or mother wishes to work as a prostitute, but that also doesn't necessarily indicate I believe all prostitution is morally unjustifiable, or to what degree I might consider prostitution immoral if I do so at all.

It seems like your options are oversimplified, and unduly black-and-white, whereas the ethics of sexuality is complex, and mostly shades of gray.

It also seems like you are focusing to an undue degree on sexuality, whereas I think there are infinitely more relevant ethical areas where religious philosophy is of use. What about social ethics of poverty and economic relationships, business ethics, the ethics of interpersonal obligations, ethics of war, etc.? Right now, aside from sex, all you have is a couple of token and extremely generalized things about killing, stealing, and lying.