• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion is fundamentally divisive. That's not helping!

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Well we all just evolved and kept growing. It's no one's fault. We can't just take everyone's vehicle away. So the best we can do is keep plugging away at better technology and hope for the best.
What a truly hopeless idea. Anyway, according to that philosophy, death is inevitable so...as the saying goes...why worry? Gun deaths getting worse, and that's not talking about war. According to a recent report, deaths of children by guns is 2nd only to auto accidents in Florida. Then, of course, is the global warming and degradation of the atmosphere. Only God's kingdom will solve mankind's problems. People aren't going to get together to make things better. They may try to do good, but Yes, the more I see some of these ideas on the boards, the clearer it becomes that only God can and will solve mankind's problems.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
That's part of the point. Do you think people will stop eating beef because they're worried about melting ice? You answered that. Thanks for responding.
I think if we promoted education (which religion quite often resists), we'd have less ignorance and fewer people would eat animals. A reduction in general ignorance would also make it harder for the greedy to get away with making all of us subsidize their meat production businesses.

YoursTrue

I think if we promoted education (which religion quite often resists), we'd have less ignorance and fewer people would eat animals. A reduction in general ignorance would also make it harder for the greedy to get away with making all of us subsidize their meat production businesses.
So sorry I have to put it this way, but from my experience in "do good" causes, that isn't going to change people. Big business and people's desire for meat gets in the way.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
So sorry I have to put it this way, but from my experience in "do good" causes, that isn't going to change people. Big business and people's desire for meat gets in the way.
Do you think meat consumption would go down if beef cost $30 / pound?

(That's roughly what it would cost if taxpayers didn't subsidize cattlemen.)

YoursTrue

I had been involved in fair treatment movements. Equal rights. Etc. With perhaps some improvement, people still experience sickness, sadness and death. And prejudice. Now I can thankfully say the only solution for mankind's problems is God's kingdom.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
What a truly hopeless idea. Anyway, according to that philosophy, death is inevitable so...as the saying goes...why worry? Gun deaths getting worse, and that's not talking about war. According to a recent report, deaths of children by guns is 2nd only to auto accidents in Florida. Then, of course, is the global warming and degradation of the atmosphere. Only God's kingdom will solve mankind's problems. People aren't going to get together to make things better. They may try to do good, but Yes, the more I see some of these ideas on the boards, the clearer it becomes that only God can and will solve mankind's problems.
Hopeless? No. God won’t solve our problems but God will ultimately give us a new earth. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to be better.

YoursTrue

Do you think meat consumption would go down if beef cost $30 / pound?

(That's roughly what it would cost if taxpayers didn't subsidize cattlemen.)
Ummm ... I don't know. But that probably wouldn't stop the degradation of the atmosphere. I used to live in a cattle raising area. Farmers and slaughter houses don't care much about the atmosphere. Plus... that's not even the tip of the proverbial iceberg, so to speak

YoursTrue

Hopeless? No. God won’t solve our problems but God will ultimately give us a new earth. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to be better.
God will solve problems when the time comes but people have to be willing. Obviously many are not.

YoursTrue

Let the stealer steal no more, etc. Right? Those who get the point do change with God's help. But that's not the end of it.

YoursTrue

You are missing the point completely. Humans are divided by their nature, not by things like religion.

It's not a "ploy" to point this out, the fact remains the environment is very political and therefore not something humans are good at uniting round.

And some platitude like "reducing income inequality" is about as much use as saying "diversity equity and inclusion" is a potentially unifying topic. You don't seem to think "woke" DEI culture has unified us very well though, do you? Why do you think that is? Surely no one can object to something as noble as DEI? ;)

There is no point in engaging in magical thinking about humans uniting around some vague platitude when any method for achieving this goal would be intensely political and divisive. This is because it involves diverse groups of humans who cannot help but see the world through contrasting lenses based on differing interests and group identities.

This is especially true when ones political identity is increasingly becoming the highest marker of identity for many.
Yes they are divided by both religion and nature.

YoursTrue

It still wouldn't preserve the earth from being destroyed by humans. There is so much corruption, small and great. The only hope I have is God's kingdom rule.

YoursTrue

That is not a feature of religion. That is human psychology. You can also find divisive ideologies, so it can't be religion.
I hate to interfere but religion has often not put their foot down when it comes to hurting others in various ways, one big one is warfare.

YoursTrue

don't you think it's a problem that religion is divisive?
Of course it's a problem, a big one. On the other hand, even if the world was a beautiful peaceful place it still wouldn't stop death or raise people back from the dead. I've been reading one of Stephen Hawking's books, and his ideas do not add up as far as I am concerned, now that I have come to believe in a Creator I understand his contention although I don't agree that the universe does not necessitate the need for a Creator because, as he contends, there are physical laws. That still doesn't mean there is no Creator.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I hate to interfere but religion has often not put their foot down when it comes to hurting others in various ways, one big one is warfare.

Well, yes. But the problem is this. You can't isolate with critical thinking religion as a special negative. Religion is a natural as atheism.