• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion is passe,

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
You brought it up.
No, no I didn't. Nowhere in it did I ask why such things happen, but that to read them literally brings more questions than answers.

I take that as retraction of the evolution idea.
I would diiscuss with you, but I can't make out what you're on about. Without attempting to be rude or personally attack you - I'm not trying to, please, either write something that makes sense, or stop responding to me as I will put you on ignore.

kejos

No, no I didn't. Nowhere in it did I ask why such things happen, but that to read them literally brings more questions than answers.

I would diiscuss with you, but I can't make out what you're on about. Without attempting to be rude or personally attack you - I'm not trying to, please, either write something that makes sense, or stop responding to me as I will put you on ignore.
Deprive yourself, then.

mho123

Atheist
Deprive yourself, then.
No i didnt go away ,, i mean i am at home ,, io can see the messages but i have guests so i couldnt react so quickly
In general ,, to what i see , hear experience ,, is that its more of a tradition then real belief , it feels as though people are believing just to believe ,,
Everybody is trying to reason why and how but i just see people following the tradition of their parents ,, i have no idea what religion you guys believe in or where you are from ,, but if you would tell me your religion i would probably be able to guess your parents religion ,, and to me it just cannot be coincidence ,, and then we build our defenses around it ,, trying to reason ,, use logic ,, use our brains ,, as if we make a free choice ,, but i am not convinced (or not yet ) ,, no offense to anyone ,, just trying to figure out how believers think as i said ,, i am just saying my honest opinion here ,, thats all ,,

mho123

Atheist
to me evolution idea is not even a discussion ,, the proof is there ,, in any other science , that much of proof should be more than enough to accept it ,, the only reason that it is still not so popular among some people is that it attacks religion ,, and thats not fair ,,

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is it true that religion is passe and that we should stop believing in god ?

Why would it be passe now, as opposed to earlier times. Whatever reasons
had for believing, many of those same reasons appear to still be here.

to me evolution idea is not even a discussion ,, the proof is there ,, in any other science , that much of proof should be more than enough to accept it ,, the only reason that it is still not so popular among some people is that it attacks religion ,, and thats not fair ,,

There's plenty of room for discussion, since there are misunderstandings to deal with & always more interesting things to learn.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
but if you would tell me your religion i would probably be able to guess your parents religion ,,
Not always. Try me.
I am a follower of Sanatana Dharma, Hinduism.

My parents' religion/religions are: ..............?

And I accept evolution as fact, by the way. :)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
To answer the question, I believe in God due to personal experience.

If you'd like more detail, more questions would be helpful. :)

mho123

Atheist
it goes very slow ,,
as i said i never did this before ,, didnt expect that it would take such a long time to get some reactions ,, one has to have a lot of spare time for this ,, which i dont have ,,i can only be here on weekends ,, hopefully i will be able to keep it going ,,

mho123

Atheist
Why would it be passe now, as opposed to earlier times. Whatever reasons
had for believing, many of those same reasons appear to still be here.

There's plenty of room for discussion, since there are misunderstandings to deal with & always more interesting things to learn.
Why would it be passe???
,, because all the religions are based on old scripts of hundreds of years ago (or even thousands ),, in those days you could make people believe that ,, lets say ,,as an example ,, there was a guy named noah and he built a wooden ship and put couple of all the animals in it and saved the sepcies,, etc ( sorry as i said my knoiwledge of these religious stories are very limited ,, this is just a story i know ,, heard from my parents etc ) but you know how it goes,,, but now people are not so uneducated anymore,, we know that it is impossible to build such a ship cause the strength of the wood is not enough to build such a large vessel ,, (it would have to be prorbaly larger than a city ) besides its logistically impossible even today to get all the species in the world ,, and even if you could ,, then you would have 2 of every species, that means not enough genetic variation to sustain the species,, =thats is ,,most of the second third etc generation would die because of congenital malformations ,, diseasaes you get when you have not enough variety ,, etc etc ,,,
I mean ,, 1000 years ago ,, you could convince someone about this ,, since probably that person never had even seen a ship , had no idea about types ?species of animals ,, how vaste numbers there exists (probably only animals he would have seen were in his village where he would spend all his life ) and certainly wouldnt know about genetics,,
But today we live in information age ,, everyone on internet , libraries everywhere ,, even children at primary school have more knowledge than prestigious scientists of those old times,,

So how is it possible that people are still believing in it today ,???, or do you guys believe that all the science, all these universities ,, scientists ,, everything we discovered learned untill now is wrong .,, how do you combine these two different opinions,, how do you reason ,,
btw i am not specifically trying to discuss the story of noah ,, but its one of the few stories i know ,, so as just one example ,,
to be continued

mho123

Atheist
Not always. Try me.
I am a follower of Sanatana Dharma, Hinduism.

My parents' religion/religions are: ..............?

And I accept evolution as fact, by the way. :)

i have no idea what it even means , but i suppose your parents dont share the same religion with you ?
but lets test it ,, ask the same question to 100 hindus and i bet most of them will tell you their parents are hindu too , try it

kejos

Why would it be passe???
,, because all the religions are based on old scripts of hundreds of years ago (or even thousands ),, in those days you could make people believe that ,, lets say ,,as an example ,, there was a guy named noah and he built a wooden ship and put couple of all the animals in it and saved the sepcies,, etc ( sorry as i said my knoiwledge of these religious stories are very limited ,, this is just a story i know ,, heard from my parents etc ) but you know how it goes,,, but now people are not so uneducated anymore,, we know that it is impossible to build such a ship cause the strength of the wood is not enough to build such a large vessel ,, (it would have to be prorbaly larger than a city ) besides its logistically impossible even today to get all the species in the world ,, and even if you could ,, then you would have 2 of every species, that means not enough genetic variation to sustain the species,, =thats is ,,most of the second third etc generation would die because of congenital malformations ,, diseasaes you get when you have not enough variety ,, etc etc ,,,
I mean ,, 1000 years ago ,, you could convince someone about this ,, since probably that person never had even seen a ship , had no idea about types ?species of animals ,, how vaste numbers there exists (probably only animals he would have seen were in his village where he would spend all his life ) and certainly wouldnt know about genetics,,
But today we live in information age ,, everyone on internet , libraries everywhere ,, even children at primary school have more knowledge than prestigious scientists of those old times,,

So how is it possible that people are still believing in it today ,???, or do you guys believe that all the science, all these universities ,, scientists ,, everything we discovered learned untill now is wrong .,, how do you combine these two different opinions,, how do you reason ,,
btw i am not specifically trying to discuss the story of noah ,, but its one of the few stories i know ,, so as just one example ,,
to be continued
The Noah story is treated as allegory, as are the creation stories and that of the Tower of Babel; so there is no conflict here with science, history or anything of that sort.

mho123

Atheist
so you are saying you have chosen your religion consiously ? without influence of your parents ? ( btw it doesnt have to be your parents )
all i am trying to say is ,, i have the impression that there has never been a choice ,, people from christian countries tend to somehow choose christianism ,, from muslim countries , islam : etc etc ,, ofcourse there are allways exceptions to the rule ,, and i am one of them as u see,, since my parents were believers,, but ,,only exceptions ,,
if we were to test this theory ,, lets say ,, we would just pick people randomly on teh street and ask them their beliefs and their parents beliefs,, what do you think the outcome would be ,, whatever the statisctic formula u use ,, you should see that there is a huge bias ,, and that for me is undeniable fact that we never have the freedom to choose,, doesnt this proof that we have been and are being brainwashed ,, that we think we believe but actually these are the ideologies imposed on us by the culture we live in , the country , the peoploe we met ,, families etc ,,, arent christians , christians just because they live in a christian majoriy country and muslims are muslims because they ARE from a muslim country etc etc ,,is there anyone who really took an objective view to this and tried to study all religions (at least major religions ) and finally made a choice ,, objective choice,, did we ever use our logic,, our brains ,,to make the choice ,

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
you say you believe in god because of personal experience ,, may i ask what / how ?
When I was quite young, 10 or 11, I had an intense and transformative theophany. The experience itself defies description, but I knew with ever fiber of my being that I had "seen" God. I just had to figure out what the hell THAT meant! :D

You can read more about my rather colorful journey here. Please not that the post is in a DIR, where debate is forbidden. That said, if you wish to copy it here for further discussion, you have my blessing. :)