• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion is passe,

Hawkins

Is it true that religion is passe and that we should stop believing in god ?

You are religious (but without your own awareness), you are religiously believe that life will cease after physical death but without proof. And because you can't prove it (but believe it only), others will have room to believe otherwise. That's why the religions (one of the main reasons).

To simply put, you have faith that life will cease to exist after physical death, others have faith that life will continue with a soul repreenting our identity.

Last edited:

mho123

Atheist
You are religious (but without your own awareness), you are religiously believe that life will cease after physical death but without proof. And because you can't prove it (but believe it only), others will have room to believe otherwise. That's why the religions (one of the main reasons).

To simply put, you have faith that life will cease to exist after physical death, others have faith that life will continue with a soul repreenting our identity.

If you put it that way ,, then i can say i am religious ,, and my religion is science,, is that correct ? ,, i believe in science so science is a religion then ????

mho123

Atheist
You quoted yourself, but I presume this was directed at me.

I apologize for not making allowances for your difficulties with English. It was thoughtless of me. I'll try to do better.

Theophany is basically a "vision" of God. It may not be perceived as images, though. The metaphor I've come to use is music. In short, I believe that I got a glimpse of the ultimate reality. I called it God.

As far as what "God did," I don't believe in that kind of God. It didn't do anything, it simply was.

Anyway, while I admit that my experience may be a neurological (of the brain) illusion, I have no reason to believe that to be the case. I have studied neurotheology (the science dedicated to understanding such experiences) to the best of my ability. If, for example, the brain scans of people in trance states showed the experiences to be hallucination, I would doubt. But they don't, they reveal something entirely different.

Also,I've learned to trigger similar experiences myself, for comparison. While I never reached the same level of intensity, these experiences satisfy me that the first was real.

Can you give me referral to the experiences please ,, who did it ( believers ?? religious people ?? ) cause i havent seen , heard anything about scientific brain scans proving that religious people have their own signs on the scan ,,
brain scans are not that sophisticated yet ,, you can only see the blood flow through different regions of the brain ,, and then presume that those parts are more active then other parts ,, thats all ,, somebody concentrating on a difficult problem would have the most intense scans on some parts of his brain ,, just proving he is using his brains ,, basically we can only see which parts of his brain are working ,, nothing religious about that as far as i am concerned.

mho123

Atheist

Any relation to steven hawkings :) one of my idols btw

mho123

Atheist
Well, for one thing, it's not brainwashing. That's a torture technique. It's indoctrination, which is simple teaching.

It's true that most people simply believe what they were taught. However, there are an awful lot of people in the world, and "most" leaves room for many, many exceptions. I'm one of them, as are many of the people here.

How defensive someone is depends on the person. In my opinion, defensiveness stems from weak faith. Those who truly believe are not threatened by criticism.

Its true there are exceptions ,, i am also one of them ,, but as they say exceptions doesnt make the rule ,, just because a few f people are not following their parents / countries religion doesnt mean much ,,
with other words lets take germany ,,, an average german is christian ,, and thats the bottom line ,, if you would put all the muslim germans or hindu germans ( not foreigners but real germans ) and we are talking about originally german , not the people who imigrated their ,,, they wouldnt even fill a small town ,, whats the percentage of that to the total population ,,
with other words if there were no brainwashing ,, that small town should be as big as the half of germany ,, just like you toss a coin and you have 50/ 50 chance for heads or tails , the population above should also have the same chances of having any religion ,,, anything other than that proves bias,, and thats the scientifical ? mathematical proof of the brainwashing ( indoctrination as you call it ) thats been going on for ages and still goes on today .

mho123

Atheist
Why do People Believe in God?
why do people believe in god ?
good question ,,
my opinion is that we believe cause we want to believe ,, we want to have hope,, that it will not end when we die ,,
we have fears gowerning opur lives ,, and the greates fear of all is death ,, loosing everything ,, thats why we believe cause belief keeps are comfortable ,, just like a little child believeing in santa claus ,, hoping he is going to deliver him/ or her that toy ,, we want to believe that god exists and heaven exists ,, that we will not end ,, more wishfull thinking ,,,
one has to wake up ,, open his/her eyes and realise that santa claus doesnt really exist ,, and that its just a make believe story to keep you feel safe and comfortable ,, just to give you hope ,,

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Can you give me referral to the experiences please ,, who did it ( believers ?? religious people ?? ) cause i havent seen , heard anything about scientific brain scans proving that religious people have their own signs on the scan ,,
brain scans are not that sophisticated yet ,, you can only see the blood flow through different regions of the brain ,, and then presume that those parts are more active then other parts ,, thats all ,, somebody concentrating on a difficult problem would have the most intense scans on some parts of his brain ,, just proving he is using his brains ,, basically we can only see which parts of his brain are working ,, nothing religious about that as far as i am concerned.
Yes, you can tell which parts of the brain are being used. And the activity of trance states in no way resembles that of hallucination.

As for who's doing it, several reputable scientists. Who cares what they believe? They're using the scientific method and publishing peer-reviewed papers.

Anyway, if you're interested, I'd recommend picking up a copy of Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science & the Biology Of Belief.

mho123

Atheist
Yes, you can tell which parts of the brain are being used. And the activity of trance states in no way resembles that of hallucination.

As for who's doing it, several reputable scientists. Who cares what they believe? They're using the scientific method and publishing peer-reviewed papers.

Anyway, if you're interested, I'd recommend picking up a copy of Why God Won't Go Away: Brain Science & the Biology Of Belief.

More info please,, which scientists ? which university ? when are these tests done and where are they published ,,
what kind of tests ,, you are talking about scans ,,, are they tomography scans ,, resonance imaging ,, or electroencephalographies?
what are the findings? thats for me most interesting
how are tests done ,, was there controle group ,,
if you could just refer to the publication i will definitely read it .
very interesting ,, seriously ,,

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
More info please,, which scientists ? which university ? when are these tests done and where are they published ,,
what kind of tests ,, you are talking about scans ,,, are they tomography scans ,, resonance imaging ,, or electroencephalographies?
what are the findings? thats for me most interesting
how are tests done ,, was there controle group ,,
if you could just refer to the publication i will definitely read it .
very interesting ,, seriously ,,
I'm glad you're interested, but it's been a while for me, and I don't remember the answers to all your questions. I make no claim to expertise, myself.

I'm most familiar with the work of Dr.s Andrew Newberg and Eugene D'Aquili, who wrote Why God Won't Go Away. They conducted fMRI scans of people who self-induced trance states.

I was less impressed with Mario Beauregard's The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Soul, mostly because it wasn't so much a case for the soul as one against materialism. I don't know how much control he had over the title, though.

I'm afraid I don't follow the actual papers (they're over my head), so I don't know where to point you on that. I'd recommend picking up one or both of the books above at the library, and checking out the bibliographies.

Now, of course, none of this proves God. But it does, imo, provide a rational justification for believing in God.

mho123

Atheist
I'm glad you're interested, but it's been a while for me, and I don't remember the answers to all your questions. I make no claim to expertise, myself.

I'm most familiar with the work of Dr.s Andrew Newberg and Eugene D'Aquili, who wrote Why God Won't Go Away. They conducted fMRI scans of people who self-induced trance states.

I was less impressed with Mario Beauregard's The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Soul, mostly because it wasn't so much a case for the soul as one against materialism. I don't know how much control he had over the title, though.

I'm afraid I don't follow the actual papers (they're over my head), so I don't know where to point you on that. I'd recommend picking up one or both of the books above at the library, and checking out the bibliographies.

Now, of course, none of this proves God. But it does, imo, provide a rational justification for believing in God.
i will check ,,
thanks a lot ,, :)

Muffled

Jesus in me
Is it true that religion is passe and that we should stop believing in god ?

No! Religion is not a passing phase. It might find fewer adherents but that does not mean that it is a phase that people go through. A religious person usually remains religious and is not phased by the herd flowing in a different direction.

The second part seems to be a question of relevance. For the godly, God never loses His relevance. I can think of no good reason to discontinue believing in God.

There could be a question of how relevant religious people are in a secular society but I believe that light shines more brightly in darkness and in the end a religious person will be considered as precious as gold.

mho123

Atheist
sorry was gone for a while ,,
we just won a voetball match ,,
ORANJE BOOOOOVEN ORANJE BOOOOOOOVEN
LANG LEEEEEVE NEDERLAAAND :)
any nederlanders in hier?
its a big party here ,,, have to go ,,,:)

mho123

Atheist
No! Religion is not a passing phase. It might find fewer adherents but that does not mean that it is a phase that people go through. A religious person usually remains religious and is not phased by the herd flowing in a different direction.

The second part seems to be a question of relevance. For the godly, God never loses His relevance. I can think of no good reason to discontinue believing in God.

There could be a question of how relevant religious people are in a secular society but I believe that light shines more brightly in darkness and in the end a religious person will be considered as precious as gold.
Hi muffled ,, where from ?

mho123

Atheist

I havent read the whole book yet but as far as read it seems to me that with these experiments they are trying to prove that people use their brains in a different way ( lets say intensity of radioactive scattering from different regions varies between meditators and non medidators,,) which proves that meditation is different than average concentrating or average thinking ,,,