• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion's Future or Lack of it

Madsaac

What's the future for religion? It's a big question but it looks like it's on the decline, especially in west.

What are the reasons for the decline?
- Decline of the Patriarchal society
- Acceptance of diverse cultural and societal issues like same sex marriage, gender, abortion, IVF, divorce, abortion, homosexuality and contraception. (Wow)
- Public morality being determined by law and not religion
- Hypocrisies of religion
- Society can see that countries that are less religious actually tend to be less corrupt and have lower murder rates than religious ones
- Individual critical thinking
- Any more?

And how long has religion got? A few hundred years or less?

Here are just a couple of the hundreds of articles on the subject.

What's the future for religion? It's a big question but it looks like it's on the decline, especially in west.

In the case of Christianity, I think one of the biggest reasons is that people just love something else more than what Jesus says. For people who hate the truth, Jesus can be annoying.

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
And how long has religion got? A few hundred years or less
It has a magnificent future, albeit the current outlook does not appear that will be so.

Faith in God will drive the Most Great Peace in a more distant future. The next stage in the evolution of humanity is a political unity.

Regards Tony

PureX

Veteran Member
It depends on how you define religion whether or not it's on decline. If you define it via history, then of course it's in decline. As nearly everything from the past is always waning. But if you bother to understand what religion is in terms of why people engage in it, you will see that it's just changing, not waning. It's becoming a more individualized practice as opposed to an organized collective practice as in the past.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

- Acceptance of diverse cultural and societal issues like same sex marriage, gender, abortion, IVF, divorce, abortion, homosexuality and contraception. (Wow)
- Society can see that countries that are less religious actually tend to be less corrupt and have lower murder rates than religious ones
- Any more?

Well, it depends on how you understand what religion is?

So yes, for at least one definition of religion you are right. But for a broad in effect values and world view not so much.

Tomef

- Any more?

I think letting go of stories, tradition and other aspects of identity are what prevent the decline from being even more rapid. So I suppose the length of time left will be influenced by the capacity of the 'nones' to do without those things. Ditching the need for invisible gods and ancient books is liberating, but scary for some people too, and virtually impossible for others.

I think the future looks good though. More toleration, fewer reasons for conflict. Putin's backward notions about the world might be, hopefully, the last gasp within Europe of the obsession to undo the enlightenment by any power capable of exercising significant military force. If Russia can be defeated, there is a lot of scope for a broader realisation of European enlightenment ideals.

Last edited:
What's the future for religion? It's a big question but it looks like it's on the decline, especially in west

There are more adherents of the traditional religions now than at any time in history.

I wouldn’t start celebrating its demise quite yet…

Anyway, the culture of religion is to adapt and mutate as it always has done.

People don’t “lose” religion they replace it with something functionally identical.

We’ll probably see the rise of utopian or extreme ideologies as people seek alternative sources of meaning.

Less tradition just means more transient and faddish ideological fashions, many of these will be problematic as they are the product of the flaws of human nature.

If a decline in traditional religion happens, whatever things replace it will manifest the same problems just in slightly different forms.

If religions are man made, the problems inherent are simply a reflection of human nature.

The only thing I’m certain of is whatever replaces it will not lead to the magical appearance of a united, tolerant, rational and altruistic humanity.

It might even be better the devil you know…

Tomef

There are more adherents of the traditional religions now than at any time in history.
There are more people.
People don’t “lose” religion they replace it with something functionally identical.
This kind of narrow view is typical of religious thought. Some people do that, some people don't. Not everyone requires some kind meta explanation to find meaning or purpose in life.
We’ll probably see the rise of utopian or extreme ideologies as people seek alternative sources of meaning.
Bit of an outdated idea, again, this reveals a mind trapped by dogma. Your thinking suits the early 20th C, but not the contemporary world.

Tomef

The only thing I’m certain of is whatever replaces it will not lead to the magical appearance of a united, tolerant, rational and altruistic humanity.
Nothing magical about it. There's no reason why humans shouldn't move beyond the idea of religion and extreme ideologies, eventually, or why those shouldn't be replaced with ways of organising society that don't involve putting up artificial barriers. What the religious fear in that is a loss of identity, or sense of purpose perhaps, but it would be a natural development in the evolution of human societies.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Nothing magical about it. There's no reason why humans shouldn't move beyond the idea of religion and extreme ideologies, eventually, or why those shouldn't be replaced with ways of organising society that don't involve putting up artificial barriers. What the religious fear in that is a loss of identity, or sense of purpose perhaps, but it would be a natural development in the evolution of human societies.

Well, to me it is in the end an unknown.
But for now, I have never seen an actual objctive rational moral/value system.
The close I have observed are inter-subjective subjective morals/values based on beliefs without evidence without any standard religious claims.

I.e. e.g. humans have positive value because we believe in that and act based on it.

RestlessSoul

This post religious world without barriers sounds exactly like one of the utopian ideologies we supposedly left behind in the 20th Century

Altfish

Veteran Member

- Any more?

You have omitted to mention 'science' as a reason for religion's decline

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist

- Any more?

Maybe it's evolving as we evolve and as the world changes via the changes of life experience. I don't think it's going anywhere, but I do think it evolves and branches out like everything else. It's not a dead tree, nor has it ever been, but it does evolve, and it does branch in many directions. Seasons of life - rest (less activity and deterioration) after a season of growth and harvest, on to new growth and more activity and even more harvests, the harvest being the product or what is produced in people who practice them or who are developed by them. It largely depends on people and whether or not people are able to not be so negatively influenced by invading forces. The difference between good, ready, and prepared ground and ground that isn't quite ready to produce desired fruit yet. Lots of diseases threaten peace of mind and well being, so we end up in situations that produce what's needed to develop as we need to develop as a society.