• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious education?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
My hope is that one day we might actually devote a more concerted effort, even in early years of public education to promote an enhanced and informed eye of skepticism, informed measure, and reasonable doubt whenever confronted with claims that of “truth” that we intuitively know.

That is already a reality in the upper levels of academia. I can't imagine what would tell a child at an early age that would promote or enhance this. In fact, the way I see it, it's fairly secular in most the country as it is. I can only ponder what this would look like. It's almost akin to introducing a new dogma.

Quiddity

This. And theology isn't a bad thing, so long as it is likewise comprehensive and combined with the history of theology. Actually, as I see theology as sort of a particular sub-field of philosophy, the quote above would be adequate by itself.

That would be fine but I suspect whom you get to instruct a class would matter greatly on whether many would participate.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Where are you going to get the money for this religious education? Schools and teachers are already hurting. I'm not willing to risk even more resources on publicly-funded classes about religion.

Quiddity

Where are you going to get the money for this religious education? Schools and teachers are already hurting. I'm not willing to risk even more resources on publicly-funded classes about religion.

Valid question, but not a deterrent for us necessarily. If you are concerned about money and resources, there is some that can be gutted or replaced without adding or removing money and resources.

dust1n

Zindīq
Too many people equate religious education with indoctrination. Indoctrination should be done at home and in their perspective churches. Whatever education is offered, it should be broad and basic in nature.

A friend of mine sue my high school back in those days for prayer and graduations, displaying the ten commandments, and overall general creepiness. I guess in some places it's reasonable to be skeptical.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
This is also true of parents who don't want their children exposed to science because it disagrees with their pet interpretations of the book of Genesis. But science shouldn't therefore be an optional class because you may run into those with discomfort of their children being exposed to points of outside their own, correct?

Correct, but a poor analogy to establish comparative “equality”. In many regards, religion is more comparable to opinion than any semblance of scientific methodology in determination of discernible fact as veritable evidence vs. claim as supported by numbers of faithful adherents/adherence.

"Truth" is not just a semantic distinction from "fact", it's a philosophical perspective of any individual's conscious willingness to accept any given claim as irrefutable and undeniable beyond any measures of test or evidence. The concept of "faith" itself is the embodiment of philosophical "truth",

But of course any such religion knowledge class isn't about teaching them as "the truth", anymore than teaching the theory of evolution is. Both are simply teaching what these various disciplines practice and teach. There is no mandate they accept them as truth in order to be knowledgeable about them.
As you self-identify your religion as “Perennial Philosophy”… you (more than most perhaps) may well embrace the distinctions between fact and “truth” (as a philosophical concept) that may rely a great deal, a bit, or not at all upon any accepted veritable facts/conclusions derived from empirical evidences.

And with an approach to the use of logic and reason as tools against what those who see religion as nothing more than magical thoughts and superstitions (your words), these same parents above might also see that as the misuse of reason and logic as an alternative religious view itself, the religion of reason, or Scientism.
They might, but they are also wrong.

Critical thinking and scientific insight are not weapons to bludgeon religiosity..they are tools we as thinking human beings may employ (or chose not to), period. I think you offer/extend the views of some that scientific revelations that do not necessarily coincide with religious revelations, must therefore be heretical proclamations of unbelieving heathens to conspiratorially lead the innocent astray from “the truth”.

[just for the record: science is not a religion. It’s not :)]

Is it any wonder the tragic backlash would be to pull children out of public education and isolate them in these narrow focus private religious institutions?
No…such institutions have been around for centuries now… yet isolation and willful ignorance rarely enhance a narrowed perspective any more than the same views tend to promote investigation, experimentation, or innovation beyond rote adherence to ritual observances and enforced dogma.

Personally, it might help the educators themselves to actually understand the nature of religions through studying about what roles they play in cultural development, and what the nature of mythology is before simply dismissing them as magic and superstition and teaching Rationality alone as the new Light of the World.
Well, that’s an interesting and utterly inaccurate characterization of what I submitted earlier. You may have missed my previously lent support of teaching “Comparative religion” studies in public education. Additionally, I did not suggest that critical thinking and evaluation of available accepted fact is some nascent faith-based replicant of religious beliefs. It’s as simple a distinction as when a lamp goes dark in the living room…

What would have caused such an occurrence? Did the light bulb fail as a result of long-term heat fatigue, or did some supernatural entity will it to be so? If we reasonably and rationally evaluate the particular circumstance with minimal critical thought, most might fairly conclude (assuming enough requisite background understanding) that replacing a burned out light bulb will restore the lost light quickly and efficiently. This is hardly an heretical conclusion, nor is it a logical process that is employed to either deny nor marginalize supernaturalistic cause/effect explanations that some religious perspectives may insist be included, or answered…

There is little debate that religion shapes cultural development and evolution…though many would care to avoid a full-throated discussion as to the balance of those effects in promotion of either morality or scientific inquiry as historically recorded...

I fully believe we should teach critical thought to all our children, but towards the goal you state as an "informed eye of skepticism" because it is directed to religious truths in this context, I take not as actual skepticism, but cynicism towards religious teachings as 'unprovable'.
Well, only if you perceive as religion as the primary target, and view a skeptical eye as the same as a cynical view.

My personal identity as an atheist is informed by a critical examination of an effluent deluge of both fact and groundless claims… and as far as I’m concerned.. lacking requisite religious faith, “religious truths” can only be verified by believers at the outset. Let’s be clear, reason is not “rationalization”, and “Truth” of any sort is more tied to philosophy and belief, than to any evidential “fact”.

Public education in the US is today, by SCOTUS decision--codified as part and parcel of the US Constitution-- deliberately secular, serving no religious purpose or promotion of any sort…by Constitutional law. Plain. Simple. Unequivocal.

Critical thinking and logic and secular examinations of available fact/evidence are NOT structured to challenge religious dogma/beliefs, especially any personalized testimonies of faith/adherence/piety.

If I might, allow me to suggest “Mythbusters” as some TV programming entertainment as fine example of employed scientific/logical skepticsm…

Each and every episode in the ongoing series examines claims/popular beliefs/old wive’s tales/myths/superstitions… and modern “conventional wisdom”, employing objective scientific methodologies. Religion is neither examined, nor even considered in the process.

That view misunderstands religion beyond the very narrow subset of it which views these stories as literal facts of nature and history; Noah's Ark, six-day creation, etc.
Well, let’s note that many (if not most) religions espouse their own creation myths, legends, and/or “witnessed accounts” as “truth”.

Again, let’s reiterate that critical thinking and logic are not tools designed to deconstruct faith-based claims offered by religious perspectives. Learning to think for oneself…conclude for oneself…take informed action for oneself… that’s the point and purpose of encouraging avoidance of fallacious argument and perhaps countering anti-intellectual sentiments that most favor denial of fact and promotion of magical thinking.

But isn't Santa a symbol? Is it possible humans can function without them in one fashion or another? If not, then isn't this really a matter of arguing for ones symbols over and against another? That somewhat defines what religious wars do.
Yes, Santa is a symbol of a concept in which we seek to reflect upon our potential/hopeful better selves. Perhaps why I too today celebrate the observance of Christmas as a joyous secular holiday and hopeful wish for an evolving species:)

Can humanity function without symbolism? I don’t know… do you? Would our nation cease to exist or matter if no nations had flags? Would morality, duty, compassion, loyalty, patriotism, or piety be foreign or absent w/o symbols? Do you have insight that would lend enhanced definition in answer yourself?

So… do you argue then that religious symbolism validates religious wars and conflicts…as a “good thing”?

I kinda doubt it...call me a cynic :)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Well said, why add more confusion to the curriculum.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The big question that hasen't been answered in this thread...WHICH DENOMINATION?
I guarantee you couldn't teach a well rounded course while trying to cover all the other subjects.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As you self-identify your religion as “Perennial Philosophy”… you (more than most perhaps) may well embrace the distinctions between fact and “truth” (as a philosophical concept) that may rely a great deal, a bit, or not at all upon any accepted veritable facts/conclusions derived from empirical evidences.
Of course it's not my religion, but a reflection of my perspective of religions. I don't have lineage I call a home. I suppose I should change it to what it more accurate which is "I am all religions; I am none", but I don't think that's allowed as far as length.

Yes, truth in the human sense is different than "facts" in a scientific sense. But even then, "facts" are still filtered through our present perceptions of "reality" or truth. I chuckle at those who proclaim to know reality reducing it to some simple 'facts'. That's an illusion, and not a fact at all.

Critical thinking and scientific insight are not weapons to bludgeon religiosity..they are tools we as thinking human beings may employ (or chose not to), period.
Not period at all. Yes, on the surface what you say is true and I acknowledge as much. But I cannot begin to tell you how repeatedly, and in a marching parade of so-called freethinkers and skeptics, do in fact use it to supposedly debunk religion. In practical, popular usage it is the hammer of religious iconoclasts. There is a marked difference between actual science and Scientism, which is a religious view that science is the greater giver of Truth with a capital T to humanity, once known as Positivism.

I think you offer/extend the views of some that scientific revelations that do not necessarily coincide with religious revelations, must therefore be heretical proclamations of unbelieving heathens to conspiratorially lead the innocent astray from “the truth”.
Nothing could be less reflective of how I think. I clearly recognize the nonsense in some beliefs that science and reason needs to expose to higher understanding away from primitive superstitions and mythic frameworks. What I am doing is taking critical thinking and applying to those who think they have arrive at the truth using critical thinking. In the voice of Yoda, "So certain are you?" :)

[just for the record: science is not a religion. It’s not :)]
Of course it's not. But then why do so damned many make it one? Most scientists don't, but with the fall of institutional religion, I certainly see people quoting it as thought it were the new authority of Truth, just like the Church used to be. There is a difference between it as a tool, and a symbol of an authority supporting philosophical world-view called materialism. Science is not materialism, but it is materialism's Holy See.

Well, that’s an interesting and utterly inaccurate characterization of what I submitted earlier. You may have missed my previously lent support of teaching “Comparative religion” studies in public education. Additionally, I did not suggest that critical thinking and evaluation of available accepted fact is some nascent faith-based replicant of religious beliefs. It’s as simple a distinction as when a lamp goes dark in the living room…

What would have caused such an occurrence? Did the light bulb fail as a result of long-term heat fatigue, or did some supernatural entity will it to be so? If we reasonably and rationally evaluate the particular circumstance with minimal critical thought, most might fairly conclude (assuming enough requisite background understanding) that replacing a burned out light bulb will restore the lost light quickly and efficiently. This is hardly an heretical conclusion, nor is it a logical process that is employed to either deny nor marginalize supernaturalistic cause/effect explanations that some religious perspectives may insist be included, or answered…
Do you believe religion is really nothing more that an explanation for cause and effect relationships, using myth to explain what science wasn't around for, and that now science is here we can be done with religion?

Well, only if you perceive as religion as the primary target, and view a skeptical eye as the same as a cynical view.
I do not view a skeptical eye the same as a cynical view. I raised that because I have heard more than a lion's share of those who wave a flag of atheism around with the word "Skeptic!" emblazoned upon it, when in reality it isn't critical thinking at all, but equally as full of closed-minded rhetoric as the fundamentalists they think they have triumphed over. As an example, someone actually proudly referred to himself as a "hard-core skeptic". That, is an oxymoron.

That is hard-core cynicism, not skepticism. It's the flip side of the exact same coin of religious fundamentalism, heads it God, tails its Science - for them.

My personal identity as an atheist is informed by a critical examination of an effluent deluge of both fact and groundless claims… and as far as I’m concerned.. lacking requisite religious faith, “religious truths” can only be verified by believers at the outset.
And this to me is the same approach to religion as the mythic believers use. The look at the evidence and come to a conclusion. "Groundless" claims do not negate "God", they only invalidate those notions. To me, that's child's play. Of course the world in old, there was no magic ark and world-wide flood, etc. Debunking that is like arguing with kids in a Sunday School class.

I used to call myself an atheist as well, if you're curious. And I'm talking post Christian experience as an adult using reason and rationality to disprove all those beliefs. I don't use that term anymore as I see it is really only an answer to mythic beliefs. I don't let fundamentalism define the debate. It's not either their beliefs are true, or false. And if false, atheism is the natural response. That's still playing on the same field, in the same classroom.

Critical thinking and logic and secular examinations of available fact/evidence are NOT structured to challenge religious dogma/beliefs, especially any personalized testimonies of faith/adherence/piety.
Which is why I said the misuse of them is. What started this discussion between us is you saying we should promote it in school to in effect combat the magical thoughts and superstitions of religion. The problem I have is that in recognizing that Noah's ark wasn't a real event in history therefore means religion equals "magical thought and superstition". That's just plain ignorant. That's what I mean when I say reason and rationality are really misused to promote a new sort of religion of reason. "That's no longer the truth, this is!". It's the same thing. It doesn't matter what you source of authority is. It's still true/false binary thinking.

If I might, allow me to suggest “Mythbusters” as some TV programming entertainment as fine example of employed scientific/logical skepticsm…
Personally, I think the use of the word myth in this context sucks. Myth in religious contexts functions in vastly deeper ways than just popular misconceptions about the world. To view religion as nothing more than a collection of these is far from knowledgeable.

Each and every episode in the ongoing series examines claims/popular beliefs/old wive’s tales/myths/superstitions… and modern “conventional wisdom”, employing objective scientific methodologies. Religion is neither examined, nor even considered in the process.
I hope my point is becoming clearer.

Can humanity function without symbolism? I don’t know… do you?
Yes I do, and the answer is no. Our entire reality is pretty much nothing but a series of mental images, signs and symbols. We do not interface with reality directly, but it is entirely mediated through these mental objects which represent the world outside us. We live inside our heads, interacting withing a world of symbols. They pretty much constitute our main experience of "reality", with certain rare exceptions.

So… do you argue then that religious symbolism validates religious wars and conflicts…as a “good thing”?
Of course it's not a good thing, but don't kid yourself there is a religious war, at least now in the more popular imagination, between religion and science. And it too is over symbols. The Holy Bible vs. Science. They are both functioning, in this context of cultural perception, as symbols of Truth.

Last edited:

lunamoth

Will to love
Study of world religions should be part of world culture/world history. My 7th-grader is studying the 5-6 major world religions in Social Studies right now. I would also like to see philosophy offered at the high school level, and maybe it is but it was not when I was in HS.

For what it is worth, I teach Sunday School and also biology at the college level. I have no problem talking about evolution in Sunday School; it is what my students also accept! They are scientifically literate, Thank God! And, my religious education helps me teach my college students about evolution when they come in with a chip on their shoulder about evolution.

2c

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
For what it is worth, I teach Sunday School and also biology at the college level. I have no problem talking about evolution in Sunday School; it is what my students also accept! They are scientifically literate, Thank God! And, my religious education helps me teach my college students about evolution when they come in with a chip on their shoulder about evolution.

2c

Hmm so they think the Bible is metaphorical?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The problem might be that an honest and informed course in religious studies might turn the kids into nontheists. :D

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Having attended catholic schooling at length....with some years in public schools....
I feel self assurded enough to say, the religious education didn't hurt.
And there was a comparative study...at length...included.

Was it honest?...yes it was.
Did it insist on blind faith?.....on some points it did.

Did I let go because of scripture?...yes I did.

The dogmatic approach was actually getting in the way.

I would affirm the notion that faith in God is good.
But religion is believeing in practice and recital.
I prefer my faith to be of mind and heart.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
A basic understanding of all religions could be helpful. If you had an interview/lunch meeting with a Hindu, you might not want to order steak or perhaps your taking a Muslim client to lunch. you might avoid a pork barbecue establishment.

I guess it depends if you want a well rounded education or not.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
A basic understanding of all religions could be helpful. If you had an interview/lunch meeting with a Hindu, you might not want to order steak or perhaps your taking a Muslim client to lunch. you might avoid a pork barbecue establishment.

I guess it depends if you want a well rounded education or not.

I think it would be generally purposeless, there are too many denominations to gather anything of real-life applicability like you're describing, it's like an unnecessary course in an extinct language or something, great for a college course but not practical for a well rounded education really, especially if it takes away from other studies.

Last edited:

s2a

Of course it's not my religion, but a reflection of my perspective of religions. I don't have lineage I call a home. I suppose I should change it to what it more accurate which is "I am all religions; I am none", but I don't think that's allowed as far as length.

It’s allowed… but yours is essentially either a purposed dodge or simple obfuscation of available and candid clarity.

Yes, truth in the human sense is different than "facts" in a scientific sense. But even then, "facts" are still filtered through our present perceptions of "reality" or truth. I chuckle at those who proclaim to know reality reducing it to some simple 'facts'. That's an illusion, and not a fact at all.
Well, if testable, measurable, and repeatedly verifiable observations are to be distilled as little more than illusions of some alternate “reality” that offers none of the same… than I’ll choose curtain #1 for now….

Not period at all. Yes, on the surface what you say is true and I acknowledge as much.

But I cannot begin to tell you how repeatedly, and in a marching parade of so-called freethinkers and skeptics, do in fact use it to supposedly debunk religion.
So… beyond empirical facts, what other evidences should these nefarious naysayers employ?

In practical, popular usage it is the hammer of religious iconoclasts. There is a marked difference between actual science and Scientism, which is a religious view that science is the greater giver of Truth with a capital T to humanity, once known as Positivism.
Ok… how might we identify such zealots? Do they wear hoods, or special broaches/necklaces?

Nothing could be less reflective of how I think. I clearly recognize the nonsense in some beliefs that science and reason needs to expose to higher understanding away from primitive superstitions and mythic frameworks. What I am doing is taking critical thinking and applying to those who think they have arrive at the truth using critical thinking. In the voice of Yoda, "So certain are you?"
Um, yes:) Can I say "period" again?

Of course it's not. But then why do so damned many make it one? Most scientists don't, but with the fall of institutional religion, I certainly see people quoting it as thought it were the new authority of Truth, just like the Church used to be. There is a difference between it as a tool, and a symbol of an authority supporting philosophical world-view called materialism. Science is not materialism, but it is materialism's Holy See.
I’ll share this…

In my 54 years now… I’ve had timely opportunity and sufficient interest to ingest a good bit of contemporary and historical philosophy and musings from numerous religious perspectives and ideologies… and scientific methodology has yet to even mimic or resemble ANY popular or current religious and/or spiritual/superstitious mythologies as offering discoveries/revelations/conclusions as even a hinted irrevocable, unquestionable, and irrefutable “truth” beyond any disproof or falsification.

If “Scientism” even had one appointed/designated “Holy See” to appear before journalists for interview on “Meet The Press”, and if that pontificate were honest and “True to the faith”, the obvious He might offer in answer is… “It’s the best explanation we have available to us at this moment, based upon all the best available evidences”.

Amen?

Do you believe religion is really nothing more that an explanation for cause and effect relationships, using myth to explain what science wasn't around for, and that now science is here we can be done with religion?
I would consider that an accurate and pointed consummate compilation of humanistic historical summation, yes.

I would also assert that religion efforts to offer more “answers” beyond evidences that defy measure or definition (most specifically matters of human emotion, ie love, compassion, envy, fear, hate, etc).

Religion seeks to define, qualify, explain, and sometimes validate human emotions and it’s cumulatively varied iterations, motivations, and outcomes.

I do not view a skeptical eye the same as a cynical view. I raised that because I have heard more than a lion's share of those who wave a flag of atheism around with the word "Skeptic!" emblazoned upon it, when in reality it isn't critical thinking at all, but equally as full of closed-minded rhetoric as the fundamentalists they think they have triumphed over. As an example, someone actually proudly referred to himself as a "hard-core skeptic". That, is an oxymoron.
Ok. Some atheists are just as ill-equipped and inarticulate to espouse their views as most adherents of faith-based beliefs. Less so at times… but still resident and obvious to identify.

That is hard-core cynicism, not skepticism. It's the flip side of the exact same coin of religious fundamentalism, heads it God, tails its Science - for them.
Perhaps… but it doesn’t mean they are factually wrong, or wrong-headed.

And this to me is the same approach to religion as the mythic believers use. The look at the evidence and come to a conclusion. "Groundless" claims do not negate "God", they only invalidate those notions. To me, that's child's play. Of course the world in old, there was no magic ark and world-wide flood, etc. Debunking that is like arguing with kids in a Sunday School class.
Indeed, and agreed.

But let’s be fair, real, and clear. “Science” has no purposed agenda/methodology to “disprove” any claimed omnipresent/omniscient deity(s) or magnificent spirit/force(s) of any particular cultural origins; but many religious adherents perceive evidential/empirical facts that eliminate any requisite need of a supernatural entity as causal explanation of a natural outcome or result as lies, conspiracies, or heretical efforts of the eternally damned.

Which is why I said the misuse of them is. What started this discussion between us is you saying we should promote it in school to in effect combat the magical thoughts and superstitions of religion.
Not exactly, no.

I only advocate teaching the skills of that would allow students to “learn how to learn” and self-educate and evaluate evidences for themselves, and subsequently draw their own conclusions from that process of critical thinking and logical extrapolations. If some conclude that religion (and the “answers” provided) is the only acceptable alternatives to questions of philosophy and scientific methodology, then so be it.

“Science” can not, not will ever offer empirical answer to …“Why do bad things happen to good people”?

The problem I have is that in recognizing that Noah's ark wasn't a real event in history therefore means religion equals "magical thought and superstition". That's just plain ignorant.
Well, if Noah’s Ark is exempt from any critical examinations available to scientific inquiry, then I fail to accept it as any sort of valid or worthy concept of evidential fact…which pretty much relegates the claim to myth, superstition, and magical thought. Ignorance is the absence of information, and if absence of information serves to validate or confirm a claim as “truth”, then only the veritably faithful with a capacity possessed of a willing suspension of disbelief or overwhelming evidence will ever continue to maintain or espouse that “global climate change is a hoax”, or “The Holocaust never happened”.

Plain denial IS plain ignorance. Period. Again. :)

That's what I mean when I say reason and rationality are really misused to promote a new sort of religion of reason. "That's no longer the truth, this is!". It's the same thing. It doesn't matter what you source of authority is. It's still true/false binary thinking.
No, reason, logic, and especially critically evaluative thinking eschews fallacious “either/or” argumentation. “Binary thinking” is the very foundation of religious rationalizations…

…”Either Jesus was whom He said He was, or He was a lunatic, or a liar”.

Or, just maybe, the literary Jesus figure found within Biblical scripture was an invention, a construct derived of many contemporary and similar religious “saviors” of the day… a compiled comic-book super-hero of similar myth and and wishful thought of an “ideal” deliverer.

Personally, I think the use of the word myth in this context sucks. Myth in religious contexts functions in vastly deeper ways than just popular misconceptions about the world. To view religion as nothing more than a collection of these is far from knowledgeable.
myth
noun
1 a traditional story, esp. one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
• such stories collectively : the heroes of Greek myth.

Just sayin', and how the word use of "myth" in this context does not apply...I await your own provided and well-defined clarifications.

s2a

-I hope my point is becoming clearer.
It was always clear.

You take offense that contemporary religious views are comparable to Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Viking, or other assorted "dirt-worshipping" Pagan-like religions…

I don’t see any differences. I hope that is clear. :) I retain no prejudices favoring one ancient myth as superior or more "believable" than any popular religion/superstition with billions of adherents found today...

Yes I do, and the answer is no. Our entire reality is pretty much nothing but a series of mental images, signs and symbols. We do not interface with reality directly, but it is entirely mediated through these mental objects which represent the world outside us. We live inside our heads, interacting withing a world of symbols. They pretty much constitute our main experience of "reality", with certain rare exceptions.
I’d accept that rather simplistic summary if it were not for one singular counter…

… it’s silly BS.

The very fact that some of us as a species can look upon the Moon, and say “Let’s go there”, and then… well, go there. What we see is not a singular delusion or “belief”, but a shared “reality” of physicality, rules, and comparable experiences.

Argue away as you please that “reality” is nothing more than a singular perception devoid of anything more than a meditated realm of symbols and subjectively derived mental manifestations… but from my “reality”, whether or not I’m responding to an “actual person” on a online forum, and not just some invention that resides solely within my own mind…

...I invite you to ask any parent whether or not their children are but “objects” that can not be interfaced in reality.

You can get back to me on that at your leisure...

Of course it's not a good thing, but don't kid yourself there is a religious war, at least now in the more popular imagination, between religion and science. And it too is over symbols. The Holy Bible vs. Science. They are both functioning, in this context of cultural perception, as symbols of Truth.
Well, if there is warfare, only one side is declaring it to be so…. and that side has lost every battle over time, and the outcome of the “war” is but a matter of patience and evolution of our species…

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It’s allowed… but yours is essentially either a purposed dodge or simple obfuscation of available and candid clarity.
You did not follow when I said it is not allowed. In the space where I can type letters under the profile where is says "religion", I tried typing "I am all religions; I am none", and it would not allow that many characters. So no, it's not allowed. Perennial Philosophy fits, and does reflect a good aspect of how I think about religions. You may assume all sorts of things about me, but be assured they are coming from your imagination of who I am, and that can pretty much summarize most of your points that followed this.

If you want a simple clean, easy definition of my thoughts, that's not going to happen for you. You're going to need to set aside your assumptions and hope for easy categories for me. You are familiar with what perennialism is, right? That's a good starting point to dialog with the actual me. Another understanding is that on a philosophical level what reflects my filter of reality is more a post-postmodern framework. Which if you are familiar with Modernity (which you certainly seem to speak mostly from), and postmodernity (which you seem confused about, as is typical of most Modernists), post-postmodernity, or what some for the time being call Integral, included and synthesizes modernity and postmodernity, keeping the baby in both, and dumping the bathwater in both. So bear in mind, what you see as being 'obtuse', is actually not at all. It fits quite elegantly, once that mode of thought comes to light.

Well, if testable, measurable, and repeatedly verifiable observations are to be distilled as little more than illusions of some alternate “reality” that offers none of the same… than I’ll choose curtain #1 for now….
And here you betray your view of postmodernity through the eyes of modernity. What I am saying about mental models of reality does not translate into Solipsism. Yet, that seems the knee-jerk reaction of those who assume their eyes, or even "repeatable, testable, blah blah," allows us to bypass that! All that does is continue to validate the myth of a pregiven world. It's like looking at one of those illusions on a piece of paper, that no matter how you try, your brain keeps translating it to look like an object you are familiar with, which you can then hand to a hundred other people to look at and they all say the same thing.

You assume that science can free you of this, and that is reflective of a philosophy of science that is dying in science, but rising it popular ideologies. You reflect that ideology in the way you speak of science.

So… beyond empirical facts, what other evidences should these nefarious naysayers employ?
Experience. Then once they have experience, then they can dialog with others who have similar experience, compare, analyze, and come to some sort of 'model' or framework of understanding. These however should not be called "empirical facts", anymore really that any scientific theory should be called facts. They are models of reality, not reality itself. They are maps of the terrain, not the terrain itself. And maps need revisions. They are useful and valid tools, but not "Truth Almighty, Damn it!" :) "Facts" is one of those words that scream "Truth Almighty!", but it's far less "fact" than we would hope for, sorry to say.

And don't go a quote a math formula of 2+2=4, or talk about gravity and stepping off a cliff. You think all experience of reality is truly reducible to the atom?

Ok… how might we identify such zealots? Do they wear hoods, or special broaches/necklaces?
By their blind spots and their dogmatic ideologies.

Um, yes:) Can I say "period" again?
You're certainty confirms my assessment, so far. There's a saying I used to use so many years ago when I was first growing past such certainties in my youth. "The more you know, the more you know you don't know". Again, "So certain are you?"

I’ll share this…

In my 54 years now… I’ve had timely opportunity and sufficient interest to ingest a good bit of contemporary and historical philosophy and musings from numerous religious perspectives and ideologies… and scientific methodology has yet to even mimic or resemble ANY popular or current religious and/or spiritual/superstitious mythologies as offering discoveries/revelations/conclusions as even a hinted irrevocable, unquestionable, and irrefutable “truth” beyond any disproof or falsification.
I'll share this with you. I'm 53 years old, and the core focus of the last 30 years of my life has been in the exploration of these areas, from religious fundamentalist dogma, to traditionalism, to agnosticism, to atheism, to modernity, to postmodernism, to post-postmodernism, to existentialism, to mysticism, to... and so forth. I moderated an online forum for former fundamentalist Christians, saw thousands, literally thousands of atheists working out their stuff there, including myself, etc. So, I am speaking not merely from some isolated thoughts about some world beyond my experience. I've been in the thick of it for many years, and when I say I see some, not all of course, but many do exactly what I am saying here, there is some substantial background and understanding supporting that. It's not just some glib comment on my part. I understand it as simply switching religions. It's not a radical overhaul in ones entire framework of thinking. That takes far, far more than simple "empical facts". That cry is really little more than "I have a new Bible!!".

A good friend of mine who graduated with me from Bible College, who likewise became an atheist some years later said to me. "I'm so glad I have the truth now!" I smiled at him and said, "I remember both of us saying that same thing when we were young Bible students aspiring to go into the ministry." He responded, "Yeah, but the difference is now I really DO have the truth!". It was the same mindset.

I'm not just saying this stuff to be hurtful or something like that, but to maybe jar loose that sort of mentality that I feel has a lot of us still in its grips. God knows, it still rears its head in me from time to time. Old mind habits. Personality types. Cultural programming. Etc. There is a reason why fundamentalism appeals in the country, as well as those like Richard Dawkins who is the other side of that black and white thinking in regards to understanding the nature of religious truth.

If “Scientism” even had one appointed/designated “Holy See” to appear before journalists for interview on “Meet The Press”, and if that pontificate were honest and “True to the faith”, the obvious He might offer in answer is… “It’s the best explanation we have available to us at this moment, based upon all the best available evidences”.

Amen?
Who's talking about an organized religion here? I'm talking religious thinking, just like a spelled out above at my friend's expense here. :)

I would also assert that religion efforts to offer more “answers” beyond evidences that defy measure or definition (most specifically matters of human emotion, ie love, compassion, envy, fear, hate, etc).
Actually psychology and philosophy deal more with these. Or you could take the reductionist approach and tackle these as B.F. Skinner in the research Behaviorism (valid to a point, but insufficient beyond that point).

You are correct in a sense, that religion historically was where all human knowledge was gathered under the umbrella of the Church and its mythic system. This is Kant's big three, the domains of science, morals, and art. Post-Enlightenment these splintered off into separate pursuits of knowledge, and religion has since found itself trying to find it's place again within these basic domains of human experience. Some try to make it appeal to science, others to philosophy, etc. They are missing the point as well.

It does have it's place, but I'm not going to get into that here yet.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Religion seeks to define, qualify, explain, and sometimes validate human emotions and it’s cumulatively varied iterations, motivations, and outcomes.
Well, in the West anyway. But see what I just said about the context of religion post-Enlightenment.

There seems a great deal you are overlooking in your understanding of what religion is.

Ok. Some atheists are just as ill-equipped and inarticulate to espouse their views as most adherents of faith-based beliefs. Less so at times… but still resident and obvious to identify.
:) Not always obvious. There is the same thing quite often, but in a more subtle form. It's still reductionist, flatland mentality that operates off that same mentality. It's like the Buddhist concepts of the near enemy and the far enemy. For instance the far enemy of the quality of compassion is callousness. But the near enemy of compassion is pity. The near enemy is far more insidious because it masks itself as enlightened.

The near enemy of wisdom is intellectualism.

Perhaps… but it doesn’t mean they are factually wrong, or wrong-headed.
To be right on a point and exclaim, "I've got the truth!" is to be wrong.

But let’s be fair, real, and clear. “Science” has no purposed agenda/methodology to “disprove” any claimed omnipresent/omniscient deity(s) or magnificent spirit/force(s) of any particular cultural origins; but many religious adherents perceive evidential/empirical facts that eliminate any requisite need of a supernatural entity as causal explanation of a natural outcome or result as lies, conspiracies, or heretical efforts of the eternally damned.
You're last sentence was a little confusing how it was worded, but if I get the gist of it that would describe me. Yes, science has no agenda. I'm clearly not that naive or paranoid to imagine a room full of cigar-smoking atheist scientists set to dethrone God by suggest Evolution happens. The value of it to me was to do just this, to disoldge mythic thinking, tying God to mythic-literal teachings. For instance, you 'need a God to explain how the universe works because of such arguments like the watchmaker analogy. To me, the tool of science allow me personally to 'free God' from religion, ultimately anyway.

My point is not about science itself however, but rather what the popular masses likes to do in claiming science as the Seer of All Truth! It's that mentality that I criticize, not science itself.

Not exactly, no.

I only advocate teaching the skills of that would allow students to “learn how to learn” and self-educate and evaluate evidences for themselves, and subsequently draw their own conclusions from that process of critical thinking and logical extrapolations. If some conclude that religion (and the “answers” provided) is the only acceptable alternatives to questions of philosophy and scientific methodology, then so be it.
That's sounds reasonable, and I agree critical thinking should be taught. No kidding. But again, what started this discussion between us was your comment,

"You did not ask, but what I would prefer to see put forward as proscribed “basic education” is continuing edification in implementing reason, logic, and critical thinking --- those traits that make us uniquely human, and evolved beyond simplistic concepts of magical thought and mysticism, or reactionary fear towards things we don’t understand or can’t immediately define/explain."​

Here you are taking critical thought and abusing it as "anti-religion", religion in the limited understanding of it you have. Believe me, if I had a kid in school and I knew you viewed teaching critical thought as a means to negate any understanding of religion as being on these naively simplistic terms, I would view you with a religious agenda of your own. This is why I say that just because one uses logic and skepticism, it does not mean it is actually reason.

Well, if Noah’s Ark is exempt from any critical examinations available to scientific inquiry, then I fail to accept it as any sort of valid or worthy concept of evidential fact…which pretty much relegates the claim to myth, superstition, and magical thought. Ignorance is the absence of information, and if absence of information serves to validate or confirm a claim as “truth”, then only the veritably faithful with a capacity possessed of a willing suspension of disbelief or overwhelming evidence will ever continue to maintain or espouse that “global climate change is a hoax”, or “The Holocaust never happened”.
Noah's ark being claimed to be an actual historical and scientific event is not exempt from critical examination. It should be examined if it is claiming itself as historical fact. No disagreement.

But why, why on earth do you then leap to say that once disproved it relegates it to what you mistakenly call "myth, superstition and magical thought"? What about allegory? What about metaphor? Are those "magical thought"?

Plain denial IS plain ignorance. Period. Again. :)
I agree. That sword cuts both ways. :)

No, reason, logic, and especially critically evaluative thinking eschews fallacious “either/or” argumentation. “Binary thinking” is the very foundation of religious rationalizations…
Yes, which is why precisely arguing that the so-called "skeptics and freethinkers" who in fact think and speak in binary terms are not in fact using reason and logic, and are not in fact skeptics and freethinkers, but rather anti-religious cynics. The arguments are against straw man effigies taken from the extremes, not actually academic understanding.

myth
noun
1 a traditional story, esp. one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
• such stories collectively : the heroes of Greek myth.

Just sayin', and how the word use of "myth" in this context does not apply...I await your own provided and well-defined clarifications.
Oh, how I love quoting dictionaries! :) As though these are the final word on meaning. Hardly. When discussed in achedmic circles it goes go more into much deeper and more subtle meaning that this. If you've ever read anything from authority in myth-studies like Joseph Campbell, it's a whole lot more informative, and consistent with what I'll echo, than what you cite quoting a dictionary.

The thing about dictionaries, they are not exhaustive treatises, but rather more like indications as to the meaning of a word. We need to provide some examples and discussion of them. Dictionaries are not authoritative definers of words. Their authors are usually some kind of committee, and are not experts on all the relevant fields for every word - you'd have to have the entire faculty of several universities working on every dictionary for that! You'll find most terms loosely defined, sometimes in ways that actually deviate from how they actually are used in the relevant fields. Dictionaries, like every other sufficiently large work, contain a great deal of approximations, errors, flaws and oversights. You don't quote a dictionary to argue a case for your use of mythology, you cite the experts in these fields.