• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious education?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Yes...I think its important.Being something like 90% of human population is religious and it affects our world tremendously(including teaching them that and how) .I just think they should spend time (as much as possible after math etc) on all the religions.

And no "favoritism" when teaching.No trying to "indoctrinate"...religion is fascinating and a deep part of human existence..it cant be ignored.I think all the "major" religions should be properly taught /explained ...religion runs through our veins.It needs to be taught and explored.Again without attempt to indoctrinate.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Yes...I think its important.Being something like 90% of human population is religious and it affects our world tremendously(including teaching them that and how) .I just think they should spend time (as much as possible after math etc) on all the religions.

And no "favoritism" when teaching.No trying to "indoctrinate"...religion is fascinating and a deep part of human existence..it cant be ignored.I think all the "major" religions should be properly taught /explained ...religion runs through our veins.It needs to be taught and explored.Again without attempt to indoctrinate.

Indeed, your claims (as amorphous percentages) may seem somewhat compelling (lacking salient factual foundations of course) "might" be true, to utterly ignore even that 10% of "others" smacks of similar segregation of um, "Jim Crow laws", or those seen in South Africa within "apartheid".

When we seek and search any origins of division and hate predicated upon any differences in base perspective, upon what source or inspiration do we seek more institutional validation than... religion?

Clarify as you will...

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
While some sort of general history of religion would be fine, it wouldn't work because local parents and teachers would only want to teach their particular religion and they wouldn't want to teach a general overview, they'd want to teach that it's actually true, which defeats the purpose of having a class in the first place. It's easier, at least until you get to the college level, to just keep religion completely out of school.

When I was in high school, they covered the main religions in my history class: If I remember correctly, the ones included were Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, and certain Pagan faiths. I don't recall anyone having a complaint and I don't recall anyone saying that their's is true and no one else's. I think we need to give people more credit.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
IMO, while there's some value in a survey course about religion, it's less valuable than, say, digital electronics, Latin, or basic automotive repair. I'd say that if a high school offers a course in religion but not these other subjects, it has its priorities out of whack.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
IMO, while there's some value in a survey course about religion, it's less valuable than, say, digital electronics, Latin, or basic automotive repair. I'd say that if a high school offers a course in religion but not these other subjects, it has its priorities out of whack.

You may have a point, but I feel that education includes preparing youngsters for social interaction; surely a brief understanding of the main religions can only help understanding and promotes social etiquette?

Knight of Albion

Hi all.

Should kids have mandatory religious education as part of the basic education (like math)? Should a kid who plant to be, say, a computer technician have to study religion? And I am thinking of religious education in the secular manner, i.e. teach about religion and not about which one is correct, and I am not talking about higher studies.

Personally I think that even if its not part of someones career, its still good because it combats ignorance and racism. Besides, you never know what happens in the future. If you end up with a hindu or buddhist boss it might be good to know a little about it and not just whatever prejudice you have picked up from random people.

Take care,
Kerr.

No matter what you personally might feel, most people in the world do follow a faith.

Learning about the world's faiths will help a young person understand other people and where they're coming from i.e. their viewpoint on the world.

Understanding leads to tolerance. Tolerance leads to friendship. Friendship leads to peace.

Religious education only becomes damaging when it is exclusive - 'our way is the only way' sort of thing.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
You may have a point, but I feel that education includes preparing youngsters for social interaction; surely a brief understanding of the main religions can only help understanding and promotes social etiquette?

No, that's the job of their parents. Schools teach the facts. They prepare students to have jobs and be a functional member of society. Religion and the like are the job of the parents and the churches. Leave it there.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
No, that's the job of their parents. Schools teach the facts. They prepare students to have jobs and be a functional member of society. Religion and the like are the job of the parents and the churches. Leave it there.

It should be the job of the parents to teach children how to get along with people different from themselves, but the problem is that it is not always done. I believe, personally, that teaching of religion, manners, how to get along with others, etc should always be the job of the parents and most of the time, that is done. Teaching kids a basic overview of the major religions in school might be helpful in that regard.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You may have a point, but I feel that education includes preparing youngsters for social interaction; surely a brief understanding of the main reliions can only help understanding and promotes social etiquette?

That's fine, but I don't think that conversation has to involve religion at all. For courtesy, all that's necessary is to teach kids to respect each other's differences. In the context of respect, it doesn't really matter that Karim doesn't eat bacon because he's Muslim and Suzie doesn't eat it because she's vegan - both positions should be respected. In fact, I'd say that overly emphasizing religion in that discussion can lead to a minimization of secular (but deeply held) beliefs on matters of conscience.

BTW: when I mentioned auto repair, I wasn't being dismissive of religion; teaching someone that seemingly bewilderingly complex machines can be understood by the average person is an amazingly powerful thing... and it has applications far beyond just changing tires and replacing spark plugs.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

In an ideal world it would be so.

However, I must agree with Michel that for good or worse, beliefs are a major and influential factor of social interactions. It is to everyone's benefit to be at least aware of the basics of the various faiths, if for no other reason because that empowers people to avoid the major pitfalls.

If anything, the awareness of how varied beliefs are is a boom to critical thinking as well.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Indeed, your claims (as amorphous percentages) may seem somewhat compelling (lacking salient factual foundations of course) "might" be true, to utterly ignore even that 10% of "others" smacks of similar segregation of um, "Jim Crow laws", or those seen in South Africa within "apartheid".

When we seek and search any origins of division and hate predicated upon any differences in base perspective, upon what source or inspiration do we seek more institutional validation than... religion?

Clarify as you will...

Excuse me? I'm just saying teach the kids these religions exist and the basic concepts.And I never said "ignore the 10%" they as well get the same education .Including that athiest exist and that they have no God.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
It should be the job of the parents to teach children how to get along with people different from themselves, but the problem is that it is not always done. I believe, personally, that teaching of religion, manners, how to get along with others, etc should always be the job of the parents and most of the time, that is done. Teaching kids a basic overview of the major religions in school might be helpful in that regard.

How is it helpful, especially if parents are teaching their kids that all religions other than their own are evil? I'm all in favor of being extremely hard on parents, pushing them to actually do their job or be penalized if they refuse. I don't think that a school ought to be an indoctrination camp where a single subjective view on a subject that doesn't even belong in school is taught. That's why I'm really in favor of a single nation-wide school curriculum that everyone learns, regardless of where they live, so that all 9th graders are learning the same thing at the same time, regardless of what local school boards want. You can teach more than the minimum curriculum, you cannot teach less.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
How is it helpful, especially if parents are teaching their kids that all religions other than their own are evil? I'm all in favor of being extremely hard on parents, pushing them to actually do their job or be penalized if they refuse. I don't think that a school ought to be an indoctrination camp where a single subjective view on a subject that doesn't even belong in school is taught. That's why I'm really in favor of a single nation-wide school curriculum that everyone learns, regardless of where they live, so that all 9th graders are learning the same thing at the same time, regardless of what local school boards want. You can teach more than the minimum curriculum, you cannot teach less.

It wouldn't be allowed to teach the kids to follow the faiths or that one is better than another or anything like that. Just a basic overview of some of the customs and things of that nature. People are surrounded by people of different cultures, different religions, etc. When I was in school, we were taught various cultures. Kids should not be shielded from what is different. We are not automatons.

And it would be virtually impossible to force parents to teach their kids the way the government wants them to be taught. That I am totally against. I think the government sticks their noses into our business too much as it is. And a nationwide curriculum would be totally impossible. People in our country live in a variety of areas: Some rural, some urban, some suburbs. Some places need to be taught things that wouldn't need to be taught elsewhere.

Kerr

Religious Education is must in schools it teaches the students to believe the moral principals of their life and become a good man.
I dont believe religious education should teach morals at all. It should be to counter ignorance and prepare students for the world. Not to tell them what to believe, or what morals to hold.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Religious education should be must now a days because most of the people forget their moral values in this fast generation.

So you're alright with your children having a class on Islam, Hinduism, Wicca or even Satanism to try and instill the moral values that those different religions wish to apply?

SkylarHunter

I think it would be great to teach kids about religions from a cultural/historical point of view. That would help them get knowledge, be more respectful of different cultures and less prone to discrimination. It would also give them a much necessary understanding of society in general.
However I would be completely against influencing kids towards a particular religion. The teachers should be unbiased and not linked to a particular faith (at least not while in class).
Children should be educated in a way that allows them make their own choices when they become adults.

Amy30

No, it wouldn't work. It would only add to the confusion and take away from more important subjects.
Leave that for the home., people can choose Saturday/sunday school studies etc.,

Church and state should not be combined.

Separation of church and state is something often misunderstood.... There is the free exercise clause and free exercise clause. The first prohibits government from establishing a religion or mandating any religious observance, the latter protects citizens to practice whatever religion they choose so long as it does not infringe on the rights of another. Totally removing any word of religion from government is typically the result of a little hysteria. I welcome a comprehensive religious comparative study for high school students. Why not? But I also welcome a more in depth study of economics and government (US citizen speaking here). So long as the approach is purely historical and educational, what would your disagreement be?