• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Fundamentalism Could Soon be Treated as a Mental Illness

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No you are describing what it isn't as if this was a description of what it actually is. This makes it part of a category not a model itself.
When you say "No-God", you are making a description of what it actually is. "No-God" is a positive statement. Theism is a positive statement. Atheism is a positive statement. If however you were to say "Neither God, nor no-God; as well as God and No-God, neither including nor excluding" that is not making a positive statement about it. That is the negative, to say nothing at all. The only way you take a negative position is to say nothing at all and saying nothing about God or No-God.

Shad

Veteran Member
When you say "No-God", you are making a description of what it actually is. "No-God" is a positive statement. Theism is a positive statement. Atheism is a positive statement. If however you were to say "Neither God, nor no-God; as well as God and No-God" that is not making a statement about it. That is the negative, to say nothing at all. The only way you take a negative position is to say nothing at all.

As I said you are manufacturing a metaphysical model based on negation which doesn't work. There is no such metaphysical model

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As I said you are manufacturing a metaphysical model based on negation which doesn't work.
What? You said No-God is not a metaphysical model. It most certainly is. You are saying "No-God" is the ultimate reality. That's a positive statement and it's metaphysical. You're dealing with ultimates or absolutes. Negation has no models. It neither affirms nor denies.

Shad

Veteran Member
What? You said No-God is not a metaphysical model. It most certainly is. You are saying "No-God" is the ultimate reality. That's a positive statement and it's metaphysical. You're dealing with ultimates or absolutes. Negation has no models.

Models provide details and explanations. No-God is not an explanation, it is a negation. Metaphysical naturalism is a model.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Models provide details and explanations. No-God is not an explanation, it is a negation. Metaphysical naturalism is a model.
No, it is an explanation. It is saying it does not have God in it. That is defining it. You exclude God. That defines it as not having God. That is not negation at all. Negation neither affirms nor denies. "No-God" denies.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Very simple answer to you my friend. I don't see what you are describing as being a fundamentalist. :) It's what I was saying in my last two posts. What you are describing is simply a particular stage of faith, as I pointed to in the link I provided. This is not abnormal, not an aberration, not a fixation, etc. Being "literal" is not what makes someone a fundamentalist. Being in a battle being good and evil is not what defines fundamentalism. These are characteristic of Fowler's Mythic-Literal stage, covering stage 2 and 3, the traditionalist stage. I go into some detail of how actual fundamentalism is a failure to integrate things from the previous stage. I can't repeat all that again, so you may want to look again and how I distinguish the two from each other and why I do.

Again, I don't think you probably actually are, since for one thing you've been liking my posts. That's gotta say something right there! :) One thing to bear in mind, there's always a higher stage. It's not a matter of thinking someone is "better" than another. It's all necessary and good. Life alone is reason to humble each and everyone of us. None are better than another in being themselves. Truth.

In post 186, you gave this quote and said that you felt this description matched your definition of fundamentalism:

'Fundamentalism usually has a religious connotation that indicates unwavering attachment to a set of irreducible beliefs.[1]However, fundamentalism has come to apply to a tendency among certain groups—mainly, though not exclusively, in religion—that is characterized by a markedly strict literalism as applied to certain specific scriptures, dogmas, or ideologies, and a strong sense of the importance of maintaining ingroup and outgroup distinctions,[2][3][4][5] leading to an emphasis on purity and the desire to return to a previous ideal from which advocates believe members have strayed. Rejection of diversity of opinion as applied to these established "fundamentals" and their accepted interpretation within the group is often the result of this tendency.'

Now, I agree that you have argued in other posts against strict literalism being the sole criterion for deciding whether someone is a fundamentalist or not. However, in addition to my literalism, I also have a strong sense of the importance of maintaining in-group and out-group distinctions, I put a strong emphasis on purity, and I believe that just about everybody else except me has strayed from a previous ideal (in my case, the ideal of Muhammad (s)), to which we all should return (although my interpretation of what it means to follow that ideal is pretty different from most other Muslims, particularly of the more traditional variety). I thus appear to meet all the key characteristics of fundamentalism, at least on this definition. Moreover, in another post (I can't recall which), you suggested that many fundamentalists believe that dark forces are out to get them and they are filled with fear and paranoia in relation to those forces. Again, that is me all over! And yet I can see another's viewpoint, and I very much plough my own furrow, despite it going well against the grain of what the self-appointed scholars of my religion say I should believe.

So what am I saying here? What I am trying to do is show that the way you are characterising fundamentalism is perhaps not quite right.

Wrt the stages, you seem to be implying that I am perhaps at Fowler's Mythic-Literal stage. In one of your posts, you said that you were at a higher stage. That sounds like you are saying you are better than me (in terms of spiritual development/awareness)! It's not that that bothers me particularly :). You are entitled to your belief. But it is my belief that my 'fundamentalism', or whatever you want to call it, is not a lower stage of spiritual development. I once thought in the way that is characteristic of the higher stages to which you refer, but have since moved on from there. Now you may well disagree. You might argue that I never really reached those higher stages, because I moved too fast, before I had fully integrated the lessons of earlier stages. Perhaps that is true. Or perhaps things are a little more complicated than your model suggests.

blue taylor

There has never been any reason to think of religious fundamentalism as anything but a mental illness for those who follow it. But for those who lead and profit by it, either by money, sex, or power, they are the sane and smart ones.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Now, I agree that you have argued in other posts against strict literalism being the sole criterion for deciding whether someone is a fundamentalist or not. However, in addition to my literalism, I also have a strong sense of the importance of maintaining in-group and out-group distinctions,
This all is characteristic of normal traditionalism. These are important early lessons that we all have to learn. In developmental theory, the "in-group" begins to expand to the point that it becomes not just ethnocentric (or religio-centric), but world-centric, and further out, cosmocentric. The whole observation in developmental theory is that the circle of inclusiveness expands the further one develops, building on the smaller circles to ever-wider, ever-more inclusive circles.

I put a strong emphasis on purity, and I believe that just about everybody else except me has strayed from a previous ideal (in my case, the ideal of Muhammad (s)), to which we all should return (although my interpretation of what it means to follow that ideal is pretty different from most other Muslims, particularly of the more traditional variety).
There are of course ranges within each stage, from conservative to more liberal and progressive sides. Think of this like the furniture arranged on the same floor of a building. You can rearrange the furniture, move from one chair to the next, but still be on the same floor. It may seem like it's totally different, but it's actually still the same floor you're on with the other furniture arrangers. Changing floors to a new floor is what developmental levels are about. It's not about different points of view on the same floor, but a whole new attitude that sees the previous floor as a whole and sees the world through the windows with an entirely different angle. So even though you say you are "fundamentalist", what I honestly suspect is you are simply just more on the conservative side of traditionalism. My gut feeling is that you aren't an "extremist", what one would call a fundamentalist. I could be wrong, but I don't feel it at this point.

Moreover, in another post (I can't recall which), you suggested that many fundamentalists believe that dark forces are out to get them and they are filled with fear and paranoia in relation to those forces. Again, that is me all over!
You are? You're paranoid, feeling others are spying on you, dark forces you can't control are reading your thoughts and trying to send you to hell, that God is fighting to keep you, but you are being tempted by the devil to not live up to God's wishes and that it will end in you being burned forever in flaming tortures, forever and ever, and that your loved ones need to do the right thing or God will hate and banish them and you'll do whatever it takes to save them from this, including forcing them to comply to what you see as as truth in order to please God not to destroy you all?

If you are living like this, not understanding love, then yes, I'd say you do have a problem. But again, I don't suspect that describes you! You have been liking my posts, which means you are hearing Love, not fear. I do not speak in terms of fear, but in terms of Love, for I know Love itself. Are you really sure you want to self-describe as a fundamentalist? I think maybe you're just confused on what that really is.

And yet I can see another's viewpoint, and I very much plough my own furrow, despite it going well against the grain of what the self-appointed scholars of my religion say I should believe.
Again, this doesn't sound like a fundi to me. :) I go against most of what others teach as well! But if you can see another's point of view, this is growth. Most fundis I know cannot.

So what am I saying here? What I am trying to do is show that the way you are characterising fundamentalism is perhaps not quite right.
Ditto. :)

Wrt the stages, you seem to be implying that I am perhaps at Fowler's Mythic-Literal stage.
I don't know actually. Where would you place yourself based on that read? (Not that any of us actually fit one exclusively). Looking at the descriptions which his research resulted in, I am safe say that Stage 5 fits me best. That's not being arrogant or anything. That's not the point. But the things described, and all the precedes it are places I've been and where I am at presently. I don't take is as being "over" or "above" others. The reality is, the more you know, the more you realize, the more humbling it is. It's not a competition. As Jesus himself said, "To whom much is given, much is required". And again he said, "If any would be first among you, let him be the servant of all.".

In one of your posts, you said that you were at a higher stage. That sounds like you are saying you are better than me (in terms of spiritual development/awareness)!
Not at all. It doesn't work like that. Would you say you are "better" than your nephew who has not had the life experiences you have had yet as an older person? That's not at all what it's like. Each of us, me too by all means, has those who are many years ahead of us. But none of it is about being "better". Again, the more you know, the wiser you should be. And the wiser you are, the more you realize how little you truly know. We use our gifts to help others. If you imagine yourself "advanced" then you need to wash the feet of others. This too was a lesson of Jesus, if you are familiar.

But it is my belief that my 'fundamentalism', or whatever you want to call it, is not a lower stage of spiritual development.
I've explained I don't see actual fundamentalism (which you haven't been describing) as a stage of development. I consider a broken, pathological aberration of actual, legitimate developmental stages.

One thing about stages of development I hope for you to understand (of which fundamentalism is not one). The term "higher" can be confusing. Think of it in terms of nested bowls. A smaller bowl which holds say 10 liters of water, fits inside another larger, wider bowl, which can hold 15 liters. That fits inside another which holds 20, then that in one which holds 30, then 40, then 50 then 60, and so one. Each bowl embraces, includes, holds the one which fits within it. None are excluded. All are included, but transcended. Nothing is excluded.

These are growth hierarchies. They are natural, not power or ego-driven levels. We all have these, including you. These are not about ego. These are about simple, natural growth which all of us go through, including you. I hope that helps you to understand there is no judgments here.

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
You are? You're paranoid, feeling others are spying on you, dark forces you can't control are reading your thoughts and trying to send you to hell, that God is fighting to keep you, but you are being tempted by the devil to not live up to God's wishes and that it will end in you being burned forever in flaming tortures, forever and ever, and that your loved ones need to do the right thing or God will hate and banish them and you'll do whatever it takes to save them from this, including forcing them to comply to what you see as as truth in order to please God not to destroy you all?

If you are living like this, not understanding love, then yes, I'd say you do have a problem. But again, I don't suspect that describes you! You have been liking my posts, which means you are hearing Love, not fear. I do not speak in terms of fear, but in terms of Love, for I know Love itself. Are you really sure you want to self-describe as a fundamentalist? I think maybe you're just confused on what that really is.

I don't know actually. Where would you place yourself based on that read? (Not that any of us actually fit one exclusively). Looking at the descriptions which his research resulted in, I am safe say that Stage 5 fits me best. That's not being arrogant or anything. That's not the point. But the things described, and all the precedes it are places I've been and where I am at presently. I don't take is as being "over" or "above" others. The reality is, the more you know, the more you realize, the more humbling it is. It's not a competition. As Jesus himself said, "To whom much is given, much is required". And again he said, "If any would be first among you, let him be the servant of all.".

Not at all. It doesn't work like that. Would you say you are "better" than your nephew who has not had the life experiences you have had yet as an older person? That's not at all what it's like. Each of us, me too by all means, has those who are many years ahead of us. But none of it is about being "better". Again, the more you know, the wiser you should be. And the wiser you are, the more you realize how little you truly know. We use our gifts to help others. If you imagine yourself "advanced" then you need to wash the feet of others. This too was a lesson of Jesus, if you are familiar.

I'm afraid I don't know how to quote a para, respond to that, then quote another para, respond to that, etc. (rather than just quote the whole post and respond to that) - how do I do that, do you know?

Okay, so my fear/paranoia. I do feel the Devil's servants are keeping an eye on me. I don't think they can read my every thought. The Devil and their servants are certainly trying to corrupt me, and God is certainly fighting to keep me. I don't believe that it will all end in my being burned forever in a flaming Hell-fire (I don't believe in such a place, for a start). I do believe that my loved ones should do the right thing and I try my best to guide them.

I have been liking your posts because I like your reasoning and the thought you have clearly put into these things. That doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with you. Love and fear are both important. So too is hate. I love God and Their Servants, but I fear and hate the Devil and their servants.

It's not that I particularly want to describe myself as a fundamentalist. Frankly, I don't care whether you or anyone else consider me a fundamentalist or not. Ditto whether someone calls me a fanatic or extremist. But what I am trying to do is suggest to you, by taking myself as an example, that your definition/s of fundamentalism - at least, the one/s I have referred to already - are somewhat problematic. And if you are going to use those definitions as the basis for saying that someone has a mental disorder or illness, then that is in turn problematic.

The problem with your question re which of Fowler's stages I am at is that it presupposes that his model is correct. According to this model, the highest stage is one of universal love, compassion, justice, etc. I once believed in such a notion, believe me. But I don't now believe this to be correct.

I get that you are not judging me. But you do seem to believe that I don't get what fundamentalism is. I think I can see what you think fundamentalism is. But I am disputing that definition. Similarly, I am disputing the validity of Fowler's Stages of Faith.

The knowledge-wisdom-humility thing. Again, I don't quite agree. Am I better, in the sense of being at a more advanced stage than my nephew? Hell yes! I'm not God, of course (for God transcends me alone), and I'm not perfect. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't recognise that I am at a more advanced, higher spiritual stage than others. We need to be truthful to ourselves, and to God, and we need to be wary of false humility.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Okay, so my fear/paranoia. I do feel the Devil's servants are keeping an eye on me. I don't think they can read my every thought. The Devil and their servants are certainly trying to corrupt me, and God is certainly fighting to keep me. I don't believe that it will all end in my being burned forever in a flaming Hell-fire (I don't believe in such a place, for a start).
There is a difference between this and paranoia. Firstly, this is the mythic-literal view, which takes symbolic representations of reality and take them not as metaphorical images but literal actual entities. This is not what I'd call paranoia, but simply mythological symbolism. That's commonplace. That's not a pathology. Is it paranoia? I don't believe so. What makes it paranoia is when it becomes an obsession which controls one's ability to see beyond their own fears into seeing another. The result is a cutting off of themselves from knowledge of themselves and knowledge of others. It seizes them and makes them prisoner to their fears. This is the pathological conspiracy theory mentality that is unhealthy. Does that describe you? I actually doubt it does.

I have been liking your posts because I like your reasoning and the thought you have clearly put into these things. That doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with you.
I certainly am impressed by your intelligence as well. I asked for someone to respond having taken the actual time and energy to try to follow what I was saying, and here you are! :) I do like this and find it refreshing.

Love and fear are both important. So too is hate. I love God and Their Servants, but I fear and hate the Devil and their servants.
This is reflective of ethnocentric thought, to point that out. The whole insider and outsider lines, the saved and the lost part of the mythic membership of these stages outlined by many developmentalists, not just Fowler. As I was saying the more sophisticated the system, the stage of grow, the wider and more inclusive that circle becomes. It begins in a purely self-centered reality of very early childhood, expands out to the family group, then later in development to include friends and peers, then later in life to include community, then later to religion and nation, the identify as part of the ethnic group, beyond mere family ties. And so forth to the point of identifying oneself with all people and all living things, all of the universe itself.

What you say later in this response that you saw things in a more universal light but have now seen it as a battle between the "saved and the lost", to put a term to it, I would say I doubt this is actually true. I would tend to suspect you perhaps tried to adopt this view and found it didn't ultimately fit where you were at. That's quite a bit different than actually seeing things that way, as reflective the very set of eyes you cannot help but see through. One is trying to adopt a view, and the other is to actually become and be that person. The reason I say this is because in development one cannot "un-bake the cake" so to speak. It would take some serious problem to go backwards down the chain of development, some form of damage. Again, the reason why this is considered more advanced is because it takes what came before and builds upon it, making it "more", expanding it, not throwing it away. We don't get rid of our bones as we grow, they grow with us to continue to support our "larger" self.

It's not that I particularly want to describe myself as a fundamentalist.
You shouldn't! I don't think you are. Do you want people who don't believe like to die? Do you want to root out evil through violence? Do you want to force your will and beliefs on others? Do you worry yourself sick that those you love who don't agree with you will find themselves in hell or be punished severely by God for not believing like you? No? If yes, then you may in fact be a fundamentalist and I would be concerned for you, and those around you.

Frankly, I don't care whether you or anyone else consider me a fundamentalist or not. Ditto whether someone calls me a fanatic or extremist.
I personally see you as just more conservative. Nothing wrong with that, even if personally fall on the more progressive and liberal side of the street.

But what I am trying to do is suggest to you, by taking myself as an example, that your definition/s of fundamentalism - at least, the one/s I have referred to already - are somewhat problematic. And if you are going to use those definitions as the basis for saying that someone has a mental disorder or illness, then that is in turn problematic.
Admittedly I'm working to refine them a bit, to put of finer point on them. This discussion is helping me focus more the really dividing points which I'm articulating more clearly as I go, I feel.

The problem with your question re which of Fowler's stages I am at is that it presupposes that his model is correct.
He's a researcher, along with a lot of other researchers in other areas of developmental theory; morals, cognition, faith and spirituality, social, cultural, and so on and so forth. Do you have other theorists you can cite to show other results that contradict his? Actually, his fits well with other developmental models. It also fits well with what those in religion itself see in the growth stages of novices to masters. It's all quite consistent with everything else. Yes, I accept after examination that his models measure up. That's different than me simply "presupposing". Do you presuppose he's wrong?

According to this model, the highest stage is one of universal love, compassion, justice, etc. I once believed in such a notion, believe me. But I don't now believe this to be correct.
See, right there you said what I was getting at earlier. To quote you, "I once believed in such a notion". That is very different than say I once saw the world this way. You "believed in such a notion". It was conceptual to you, not something you actually were in your own person. As I said, you cannot un-bake the cake once it's baked. If you saw the world through the eyes of universal love, you would see anything other than that as "less", incomplete, lacking, partial, and so forth. I have seen the world through such eyes, and everything falls short of that. It is Truth itself. It's not a notion, it's quite literally seeing with the eyes of God.

Similarly, I am disputing the validity of Fowler's Stages of Faith.
Based on what other researched data?

The knowledge-wisdom-humility thing. Again, I don't quite agree. Am I better, in the sense of being at a more advanced stage than my nephew? Hell yes! I'm not God, of course (for God transcends me alone), and I'm not perfect. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't recognise that I am at a more advanced, higher spiritual stage than others. We need to be truthful to ourselves, and to God, and we need to be wary of false humility.
At a certain point the comparison game ends. When one is truly advanced, and it's fine to recognize that as I am in all of what I've been saying, that advancement is no longer about self on some ladder, but as I've said throughout this, it is advanced in the sense of all-inclusive. That means all judgment of others and self is gone. There is no more separation, but that inclusiveness embraces everything as itself.

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
There is a difference between this and paranoia. Firstly, this is the mythic-literal view, which takes symbolic representations of reality and take them not as metaphorical images but literal actual entities. This is not what I'd call paranoia, but simply mythological symbolism. That's commonplace. That's not a pathology. Is it paranoia? I don't believe so. What makes it paranoia is when it becomes an obsession which controls one's ability to see beyond their own fears into seeing another. The result is a cutting off of themselves from knowledge of themselves and knowledge of others. It seizes them and makes them prisoner to their fears. This is the pathological conspiracy theory mentality that is unhealthy. Does that describe you? I actually doubt it does.

I certainly am impressed by your intelligence as well. I asked for someone to respond having taken the actual time and energy to try to follow what I was saying, and here you are! :) I do like this and find it refreshing.

This is reflective of ethnocentric thought, to point that out. The whole insider and outsider lines, the saved and the lost part of the mythic membership of these stages outlined by many developmentalists, not just Fowler. As I was saying the more sophisticated the system, the stage of grow, the wider and more inclusive that circle becomes. It begins in a purely self-centered reality of very early childhood, expands out to the family group, then later in development to include friends and peers, then later in life to include community, then later to religion and nation, the identify as part of the ethnic group, beyond mere family ties. And so forth to the point of identifying oneself with all people and all living things, all of the universe itself.

What you say later in this response that you saw things in a more universal light but have now seen it as a battle between the "saved and the lost", to put a term to it, I would say I doubt this is actually true. I would tend to suspect you perhaps tried to adopt this view and found it didn't ultimately fit where you were at. That's quite a bit different than actually seeing things that way, as reflective the very set of eyes you cannot help but see through. One is trying to adopt a view, and the other is to actually become and be that person. The reason I say this is because in development one cannot "un-bake the cake" so to speak. It would take some serious problem to go backwards down the chain of development, some form of damage. Again, the reason why this is considered more advanced is because it takes what came before and builds upon it, making it "more", expanding it, not throwing it away. We don't get rid of our bones as we grow, they grow with us to continue to support our "larger" self.

You shouldn't! I don't think you are. Do you want people who don't believe like to die? Do you want to root out evil through violence? Do you want to force your will and beliefs on others? Do you worry yourself sick that those you love who don't agree with you will find themselves in hell or be punished severely by God for not believing like you? No? If yes, then you may in fact be a fundamentalist and I would be concerned for you, and those around you.

I personally see you as just more conservative. Nothing wrong with that, even if personally fall on the more progressive and liberal side of the street.

Admittedly I'm working to refine them a bit, to put of finer point on them. This discussion is helping me focus more the really dividing points which I'm articulating more clearly as I go, I feel.

He's a researcher, along with a lot of other researchers in other areas of developmental theory; morals, cognition, faith and spirituality, social, cultural, and so on and so forth. Do you have other theorists you can cite to show other results that contradict his? Actually, his fits well with other developmental models. It also fits well with what those in religion itself see in the growth stages of novices to masters. It's all quite consistent with everything else. Yes, I accept after examination that his models measure up. That's different than me simply "presupposing". Do you presuppose he's wrong?

See, right there you said what I was getting at earlier. To quote you, "I once believed in such a notion". That is very different than say I once saw the world this way. You "believed in such a notion". It was conceptual to you, not something you actually were in your own person. As I said, you cannot un-bake the cake once it's baked. If you saw the world through the eyes of universal love, you would see anything other than that as "less", incomplete, lacking, partial, and so forth. I have seen the world through such eyes, and everything falls short of that. It is Truth itself. It's not a notion, it's quite literally seeing with the eyes of God.

Based on what other researched data?

At a certain point the comparison game ends. When one is truly advanced, and it's fine to recognize that as I am in all of what I've been saying, that advancement is no longer about self on some ladder, but as I've said throughout this, it is advanced in the sense of all-inclusive. That means all judgment of others and self is gone. There is no more separation, but that inclusiveness embraces everything as itself.

I am also appreciating this conversation. It is not so often one gets to have these kinds of ('balanced') conversations about such fundamental (if I may use the term!) issues with people who have put some thought into them.

Okay, so my fear/paranoia about the Devil and their servants. Now, you clearly see what I consider to be actual, real entities to be mythological symbols. We're obviously going to have to agree to disagree on that. My fear is very real to me, and I try to use it, rather than become a prisoner to it. Sometimes it gets the better of me. So it is difficult. As I go about my life, I am always on my guard. Because the Devil is very cunning. And anyone could ultimately be one of their servants. Indeed, I believe that the Devil's servants are at the heart of all the governments and big corporations of the world. Many will call this view of the world a paranoid/conspiracy theorist one.

Fowler and his model. So Fowler was a theologian and a developmental theorist. He saw the world through the lens of his Methodism and his scholarship. But I accept that his thinking builds on the work of other developmental theorists and theologians and finds support among the work of other theorists (all informed by a particular, ultimately similar way of seeing the world and our place in it), and that one can see parallels with the notion of advancement through a series of stages from novice to master seen in many religions and spiritualities. I am not going to point to another theorist or set of empirical data to 'back up' my claims. Because for me that is not what this is about. I see the world in a very different way from these theorists, and for that matter from the self-appointed 'priests' and teachers of the religions of the world, many of whom seek to control knowledge and indoctrinate people in the 'correct' way of seeing the world. My Master, and the Source of my knowledge, is The God/dess Alone. She speaks to me, and now that I have the courage to listen to what She has to say (for a long time I tried to ignore, to resist what She was telling me), even though it puts me at variance with just about everyone else, I see the world and all things in a new, different light.

Btw, I wasn't suggesting that you were presupposing anything. Just that your question presupposed the validity of Fowler's model. Not quite the same thing.

And so to the crux of the issue. I write in the language of beliefs and notions, because that is what is required here. But in reality, for me this is Absolute Truth. I do not believe, I know. Now, of course many others, yourself included, have these same feelings that they have seen, that they know. Either some of us are deluded or at a lower level of understanding, or we all are, or there are many ways of seeing the Truth, or many Truths/truths.

I hear what you have been saying in relation to higher stages of development including lower stages. And I also hear what you are saying in relation to universal love and all-inclusiveness. Ultimately, for me, there is nothing but The God/dess. You, me, this Forum, the world outside, Donald Trump, ISIS, the Devil, the universe, fear, love, hate - all is The God/dess. But that does not translate into universal love. It's more complicated than that.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Okay, so my fear/paranoia about the Devil and their servants. Now, you clearly see what I consider to be actual, real entities to be mythological symbols. We're obviously going to have to agree to disagree on that.
I should add some qualifying comments to my calling these mythological. By mythological I do not mean "false". To call something "the devil" does not mean that our sense of what that thing is doesn't exist, but that giving it a name in the form of some imaginal creature is not literal in the sense that you would encounter some form of actual entity with literal horns and a literal tail. I wish to quote something that says this to me best about the use of the term mythology. From Conrad Hyers' Biblical Literalism: Constricting the Cosmic Dance,

The early ethnologist R. R. Marett is noted for his dictum that “religion is not so much thought out as danced out.” But even when thought out, religion is focused in the verbal equivalent of the dance: myth, symbol and metaphor. To insist on assigning to it a literal, one-dimensional meaning is to shrink and stifle and distort the significance. In the words of E. H. W. Meyer- stein, “Myth is my tongue, which means not that I cheat, but stagger in a light too great to bear.” Religious expression trembles with a sense of inexpressible mystery, a mystery which nevertheless addresses us in the totality of our being.​

For me to speak of things like demons is ways to speak about aspects of ourselves we fear or disown. Those aspects can indeed be powerful and negative influences on ourselves. So when we speak of "demons" we are really symbolizing the "mysterious", the frightening shadows of our disowned selves. Those are in fact real, and the faces we put upon them make them real to ourselves. This can get a lot deeper in discussion should we wish that. But just so you know I see mythology is a symbolic language, metaphors, and as such it has a certain legitimacy, if held openly versus literally. To imagine it as wholly outside ourselves misses our place within the story.

My fear is very real to me, and I try to use it, rather than become a prisoner to it. Sometimes it gets the better of me. So it is difficult.
Fear is rarely a good thing outside it kicking in for us to run when in actual immediate danger. But imaged enemies are enemies of our minds. We feed the fear through our own thoughts and create an imaginary world of threats. In reality, our general anxieties look for things to worry about, to fear, and so we search our minds for things we can attach this general anxiety upon and feed it back on itself in a loop. I personally find fear to have little actual use, and 99.99% of it is purely useless. It does far more harm than good, even in actual, real, threatening situations. A clear mind is far better in making choices and courses of action. Those who are constantly or regularly seized by fear and not functioning in healthy ways. That's something that should be addressed for that person.

As I go about my life, I am always on my guard. Because the Devil is very cunning. And anyone could ultimately be one of their servants.
I find that a little concerning for how to live one's life. Even if it's not paralyzing for you, it's no way to live. It makes these "demons" something outside of your control. In reality we can be far less vulnerable than all that. To quote from the Buddha, "More than those who hate you, more than all your enemies, an undisciplined mind does greater harm." What the undisciplined mind is is what it is to live in constant fear, for one thing. To give power over to these fears is to live controlled by them. They have already won.

I like to take the metaphor of Jesus walking on water, or that of him commanding the winds and the storm to "be still" to truly nail this on the head. The disciplined mind, the spiritual mind, can walk on water, it can still the waves of the storm, it can disarm the devil itself and make it nothing. Again, if you live looking around every corner, seeing everyone and everything with suspicion, then you are already mastered by the devil. You invite it in and give it all your power, simply by fearing it. You are already controlled by it, surrendering to it by giving it it your focus.

Again, there is a fine line between representing these symbolically in order to understand the nature of our experiences of ourselves and to talk about these 'mysteries' symbolically, and giving away all your power to them and live in fear of them. The latter is where you start going off into the unhealthy. And when that turns to become obsessive, paranoia, looking around every corner for some dark spirit out to get you that's when it becomes a disease and you would benefit by some sort of help.

Indeed, I believe that the Devil's servants are at the heart of all the governments and big corporations of the world. Many will call this view of the world a paranoid/conspiracy theorist one.
Well, actually.... :) I of course would not term this in the language of devils and spirits controlling people. I do not see these things in terms of external entities outside the person themselves, strictly speaking. What you see in what you are describing is essentially a pathology in those who are in control of these things. The systems have been rigged to allow unbridled greed to take its natural course and self-consume, like the Ouroboros eating its own tail. These are just humans with their own pathologies being given positions of power, and what you see is their disease "trickling down" from them at the top.

These are not demons doing this outside our control. We can in fact change the system which does not allow diseased people, those with not moral consciousness, sociopaths and psychopaths to be in charge of corporations and governments. This is something we can in fact control, if we are so well motivated enough to do so. To me to believe it's "the devil", makes it outside your control, when in fact it is not. I don't need a demon to explain what we're seeing. Just basic human psychologies and pathologies does just fine on its own. It's not magical. It can be explained quite easily, and remedied by ourselves. Where God comes into this is to awaken our minds and the eyes of our hearts to see the nature of what this is and to take positive responses to bring good into the world, rather than giving away our birthrights to a few diseased men.

I'll address the rest of your response at another time.

Last edited:

The_Fisher_King

Premium Member
I should add some qualifying comments to my calling these mythological. By mythological I do not mean "false". To call something "the devil" does not mean that our sense of what that thing is doesn't exist, but that giving it a name in the form of some imaginal creature is not literal in the sense that you would encounter some form of actual entity with literal horns and a literal tail. I wish to quote something that says this to me best about the use of the term mythology. From Conrad Hyers' Biblical Literalism: Constricting the Cosmic Dance,

The early ethnologist R. R. Marett is noted for his dictum that “religion is not so much thought out as danced out.” But even when thought out, religion is focused in the verbal equivalent of the dance: myth, symbol and metaphor. To insist on assigning to it a literal, one-dimensional meaning is to shrink and stifle and distort the significance. In the words of E. H. W. Meyer- stein, “Myth is my tongue, which means not that I cheat, but stagger in a light too great to bear.” Religious expression trembles with a sense of inexpressible mystery, a mystery which nevertheless addresses us in the totality of our being.​

For me to speak of things like demons is ways to speak about aspects of ourselves we fear or disown. Those aspects can indeed be powerful and negative influences on ourselves. So when we speak of "demons" we are really symbolizing the "mysterious", the frightening shadows of our disowned selves. Those are in fact real, and the faces we put upon them make them real to ourselves. This can get a lot deeper in discussion should we wish that. But just so you know I see mythology is a symbolic language, metaphors, and as such it has a certain legitimacy, if held openly versus literally. To imagine it as wholly outside ourselves misses our place within the story.

Fear is rarely a good thing outside it kicking in for us to run when in actual immediate danger. But imaged enemies are enemies of our minds. We feed the fear through our own thoughts and create an imaginary world of threats. In reality, our general anxieties look for things to worry about, to fear, and so we search our minds for things we can attach this general anxiety upon and feed it back on itself in a loop. I personally find fear to have little actual use, and 99.99% of it is purely useless. It does far more harm than good, even in actual, real, threatening situations. A clear mind is far better in making choices and courses of action. Those who are constantly or regularly seized by fear and not functioning in healthy ways. That's something that should be addressed for that person.

I find that a little concerning for how to live one's life. Even if it's not paralyzing for you, it's no way to live. It makes these "demons" something outside of your control. In reality we can be far less vulnerable than all that. To quote from the Buddha, "More than those who hate you, more than all your enemies, an undisciplined mind does greater harm." What the undisciplined mind is is what it is to live in constant fear, for one thing. To give power over to these fears is to live controlled by them. They have already won.

I like to take the metaphor of Jesus walking on water, or that of him commanding the winds and the storm to "be still" to truly nail this on the head. The disciplined mind, the spiritual mind, can walk on water, it can still the waves of the storm, it can disarm the devil itself and make it nothing. Again, if you live looking around every corner, seeing everyone and everything with suspicion, then you are already mastered by the devil. You invite it in and give it all your power, simply by fearing it. You are already controlled by it, surrendering to it by giving it it your focus.

Again, there is a fine line between representing these symbolically in order to understand the nature of our experiences of ourselves and to talk about these 'mysteries' symbolically, and giving away all your power to them and live in fear of them. The latter is where you start going off into the unhealthy. And when that turns to become obsessive, paranoia, looking around every corner for some dark spirit out to get you that's when it becomes a disease and you would benefit by some sort of help.

Well, actually.... :) I of course would not term this in the language of devils and spirits controlling people. I do not see these things in terms of external entities outside the person themselves, strictly speaking. What you see in what you are describing is essentially a pathology in those who are in control of these things. The systems have been rigged to allow unbridled greed to take its natural course and self-consume, like the Ouroboros eating its own tail. These are just humans with their own pathologies being given positions of power, and what you see is their disease "trickling down" from them at the top.

These are not demons doing this outside our control. We can in fact change the system which does not allow diseased people, those with not moral consciousness, sociopaths and psychopaths to be in charge of corporations and governments. This is something we can in fact control, if we are so well motivated enough to do so. To me to believe it's "the devil", makes it outside your control, when in fact it is not. I don't need a demon to explain what we're seeing. Just basic human psychologies and pathologies does just fine on its own. It's not magical. It can be explained quite easily, and remedied by ourselves. Where God comes into this is to awaken our minds and the eyes of our hearts to see the nature of what this is and to take positive responses to bring good into the world, rather than giving away our birthrights to a few diseased men.

I'll address the rest of your response at another time.

Yes, I understood where you were coming from in relation to mythological symbolism. Similarly, I understand what you are saying in relation to demons. But I disagree. For me, they are actual, real entities, with very real power (I should say that I don't believe all of the Devil's servants are demons; some are human beings too). That doesn't mean that I am - or indeed anyone else is - powerless against them. On the contrary, we have many weapons at our disposal in our fight against them. For life, the world, the universe, is a Battlefield between God and Their Servants and the Devil and their servants. Because they have power, I fear them. That fear teaches a certain degree of 'respect'. As long as it does not cripple, it is a very useful tool. I don't live my life looking around every corner for some dark spirit out to get me. But I still need to be careful, to be on my guard.

Shad

Veteran Member
No, it is an explanation. It is saying it does not have God in it. That is defining it. You exclude God. That defines it as not having God. That is not negation at all. Negation neither affirms nor denies. "No-God" denies.

That is not an explanation as per metaphysical models, that is a negation only. It would be like saying the definition of a cat is "Not a dog". It does nothing to explain what it is, just what it isn't. There is a difference but since you do not understand what a model is it went over your head.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is not an explanation as per metaphysical models, that is a negation only. It would be like saying the definition of a cat is "Not a dog". It does nothing to explain what it is, just what it isn't. There is a difference but since you do not understand what a model is it went over your head.
Oh yes, I don't understand what a model is. That must be the answer here! Anyway I said, which seems to go over your head here, is that for you to say "No-God" is in fact to posit the nature of reality. You specifically mention it, not mere exclude it from the model. But I suspect this all comes back to the touchy issue of many that atheism is simply the "lack of belief" (a point I reject). My argument there is the same as here, that the second you say "no-God" is the second you make it part of your metaphysical model. To simply not include it, is not the same thing as the atheist statement of no-God. There is a difference between non-theism and atheism. A "non-theist" simply doesn't have God in the equation. To proclaim Atheism in fact does include God as part of it. It's in the name itself.

My whole point to talk about what negation in regards to the metaphysical is is based around the Buddhist path of negation. By not making a positive statement (No-God would in fact be a positive state), you open yourself to reality, as reality is beyond conceptions. This negation is itself not a model of course, but for you to say saying "no-God" is negation, I reject on this basis. Saying "no-God" is in fact not negation. It is in fact making a positive statement and making it part of the model of reality. You are adding atheism as the true nature of reality. It is therefore a metaphysical statement. For more on that read here https://greatmiddleway.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/the-fourfold-negation-the-perfection-of-wisdom/

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
Oh yes, I don't understand what a model is. That must be the answer here! Anyway I said, which seems to go over your head here, is that for you to say "No-God" is in fact to posit the nature of reality. You specifically mention it, not mere exclude it from the model. But I suspect this all comes back to the touchy issue of many that atheism is simply the "lack of belief" (a point I reject). My argument there is the same as here, that the second you say "no-God" is the second you make it part of your metaphysical model. To simply not include it, is not the same thing as the atheist statement of no-God. There is a difference between non-theism and atheism. A "non-theist" simply doesn't have God in the equation. To proclaim Atheism in fact does include God as part of it. It's in the name itself.

Apparently you do not. If you looked at metaphysical models you will see that these attempt to explain and answer tough questions rather than stating only what each model is not....

My whole point to talk about what negation in regards to the metaphysical is is based around the Buddhist path of negation. By not making a positive statement (No-God would in fact be a positive state), you open yourself to reality, as reality is beyond conceptions. This negation is itself not a model of course, but for you to say saying "no-God" is negation, I reject on this basis. Saying "no-God" is in fact not negation. It is in fact making a positive statement and making it part of the model of reality. You are adding atheism as the true nature of reality. It is therefore a metaphysical statement. For more on that read here https://greatmiddleway.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/the-fourfold-negation-the-perfection-of-wisdom/

Your religion is not the arbiter of metaphysical models nor it's requirements. Random blogs spouting religious rhetoric do nothing to make your religion an authority in metaphysics.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Apparently you do not. If you looked at metaphysical models you will see that these attempt to explain and answer tough questions rather than stating only what each model is not....
Once again, you are in fact stating something as part of that model of tough questions. You don't simply not include God, you explicitly call it out as excluded from the model. What you are doing in effect is including a negative statement as part of the model.

The reason I cite what Buddhism is saying here is because the whole philosophy of negation (and this not a religious statement by the way), illustrates how that by making a positive state of what is "not", you have actually included in it your view. Narjanua pointed this out philosophically, not religiously. I'm sorry you don't understand this very well. His point is valid. For instance to say the "true reality" is "no-self" subtly includes it by attempting to exclude it.

Your religion is not the arbiter of metaphysical models nor it's requirements.
Who said anything about "my" religion? I didn't. Nor am I suggesting that the views of Buddhism are absolute. I'm pointing out how that specifically what you are trying to say has been addressed philosophically by these schools. You seem to just want to say "Religion knows nothing", to reduce it to a strawman like this because you think only naturalists have a bead on truth? ;) Talk about being over your head...

Random blogs spouting religious rhetoric do nothing to make your religion an authority in metaphysics.
Wow, lots of assumptions here. And it's not religious rhetoric, if you knew anything whatsoever about what you spout to understand, but do not. That sounds far more religious than anything I've said here.

Shad

Veteran Member
Once again, you are in fact stating something as part of that model of tough questions. You don't simply not include God, you explicitly call it out as excluded from the model. What you are doing in effect is including a negative statement as part of the model.

Models are not created based on negative statements but explanations. Again a negation does not explain what it is but what it isn't.

The reason I cite what Buddhism is saying here is because the whole philosophy of negation (and this not a religious statement by the way), illustrates how that by making a positive state of what is "not", you have actually included in it your view. Narjanua pointed this out philosophically, not religiously. I'm sorry you don't understand this very well. His point is valid. For instance to say the "true reality" is "no-self" subtly includes it by attempting to exclude it.

The reason you cite Buddhism is because you follow it then project it on to all metaphysical models as if your religion was an authority on metaphysics, it isn't. Models provide explanations and details not merely negations. The pont is not valid in regards to metaphysics just as a definition of a cat is not "not a dog" or evolution is "not creationism". You seem to miss the point that models are explanations not negations.

Who said anything about "my" religion? I didn't. Nor am I suggesting that the views of Buddhism are absolute. I'm pointing out how that specifically what you are trying to say has been addressed philosophically by these schools. You seem to just want to say "Religion knows nothing", to reduce it to a strawman like this because you think only naturalists have a bead on truth? ;) Talk about being over your head...

You are still projecting an idea from Buddhism into metaphysical models as if Buddhism matters, it doesn't. Nor does a negation provide an explanation of what a model is.

Wow, lots of assumptions here. And it's not religious rhetoric, if you knew anything whatsoever about what you spout to understand, but do not. That sounds far more religious than anything I've said here.

Buddhism is a religion. It has no role in physics nor authority in regards to metaphysical models. So my assumptions are valid.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Models are not created based on negative statements but explanations.
That is correct, and what I've been saying all along. They are based upon positive statements. "There is no God", is a positive statement. It's that simple.

Again a negation does not explain what it is but what it isn't.
By saying "There is no God", you are saying what it is. You are saying it is "God free" in other words. That's a positive statement describing what it actually is, "A universe without God in it". That's a model. If you simply did not mention God, then there is no positive statement. It's just simply absent. But once again, the second you say "There is no God" you've included God in the model. Again, that's pretty simple.

The reason you cite Buddhism is because you follow it then project it on to all metaphysical models as if your religion was an authority on metaphysics, it isn't.
Have I identified myself as a Buddhist? How do you presume to think you know what my religion is? And as far as regarding Buddhism as an "authority" on metaphysics, I'm not exactly sure what that would mean. Does it have a tremendous amount of insights to offer in regards to the examination of Ultimate? Most certainly it does, as does any within mystical traditions. These folks across multiple lineages, both secular and religious who have spent untold hours sitting on the mat doing the hard work of interior investigations have a tremendous amount of insights and validity to offer into such questions. To assume otherwise on your part is just pure ignorance.

I think you are mistaking the Christian version of "divine revelation" speaking with "authority" with what the rest of the religious world considers this. The best description I can come up with of folks who investigate these things are philosophers and mystics of the highest order. They are explorers, investigators, thinkers, and the like. But I have a feeling you presume to have greater insights than these who have done the actual work themselves. Again, there is a whopping big difference between being considered a specialist, an actual expert, and making divine proclamations of absolute truth. Buddhist do not make such proclamations of absolute truth, and you are in error to equate them with what your experience is with the likes of a Pat-Robertson type buffon, and such.

Models provide explanations and details not merely negations. The pont is not valid in regards to metaphysics just as a definition of a cat is not "not a dog" or evolution is "not creationism". You seem to miss the point that models are explanations not negations.
I do not miss the point at all. You miss the point that you are making a positive statement which makes it part of the model. "There is no God" is a positive statement. If you say "This corn chip is preservative free", you have defined it as "preservative free". It is bought and consumed as "not including preservatives".

You are defining reality as "God free", and thus you have included it in your brand. You included "God" on the label. You have specifically defined reality, modeled reality as an atheistic one. You didn't just package corn chips and say "Corn Chips" on the bag with no mention of preservatives. You actually are putting "Preservative-Free Cornchips" in the model, making them part of their definition. Do you not see this yet? Do you not want to see it for some reason? :)

You are still projecting an idea from Buddhism into metaphysical models as if Buddhism matters, it doesn't.
First of all, why doesn't it matter? Because it's "religion"? :) This is too funny, actually. You think people who are part of religions and look into these matters are completely irrelevant because you imagine they all believe a bunch of non-scientific supernatural woo? If so, this is profoundly ignorant on your part. Some of the world's greatest insights come directly out of these bodies because they support those within it who do these investigations. I honestly think your notions of religion are just a bit colorized by your particular biases and not based much in actual reality.

Secondly, I'm not projecting an idea from Buddhism into metaphysical models. I am looking at the insights of those who have done some extremely sophisticated work in these areas and have some profound philosophical insights that matter when considering these things. Why wouldn't you? Does that seem very philosophical to simply say "Woo!" and take thousands of years of research and insights and push them onto the floor because you see it all as just "religion"? :) You get the picture here?

Nor does a negation provide an explanation of what a model is.
Actual negation, as what I was pointing to that Nagarjuna explained, which I linked to as a high-level explanation for you to read which you dismissed without consideration as "rhetoric", in fact does not attempt to make a model at all. Actual negation is there to deconstruct all models, as the use of them can actually interfere with seeing what actually, simply "is". The models, as useful as they are can stand in the way of actually knowing reality, where we mistake our maps of the terrain with the terrain itself. Negation is to get you to see "past" the models. And to the core point again here, you saying "There is no God", is actually modeling it into the equation. You have "No-God" defined as a positive statement, and as such you have modeled it.

Buddhism is a religion. It has no role in physics nor authority in regards to metaphysical models. So my assumptions are valid.
Because it's a religion? :) Too funny.

Last edited: