• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Fundamentalism Could Soon be Treated as a Mental Illness

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sorry mate, not sure if that's in relation to my post or not.
I wouldn't see most atheists as 'certain' in the way you probably mean. I see more 'certainty' amongst theists.
Speaking for other people is a no-no, but I'm sure @Revoltingest would be of the same mind, in terms of not being 'certain' there is no God. We're just stating we see no reason to think there IS a God.
Yep....we can't prove there are no gods.
And we don't cotton to the idea of sky fairies.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, it certainly can and does to some. In this sense of fundamentalism I like what Wiki says, which would in this also include atheists:

Fundamentalism usually has a religious connotation that indicates unwavering attachment to a set of irreducible beliefs.[1] However, fundamentalism has come to apply to a tendency among certain groups—mainly, though not exclusively, in religion—that is characterized by a markedly strict literalismas applied to certain specific scriptures, dogmas, or ideologies, and a strong sense of the importance of maintaining ingroup and outgroup distinctions,[2][3][4][5] leading to an emphasis on purity and the desire to return to a previous ideal from which advocates believe members have strayed. Rejection of diversity of opinion as applied to these established "fundamentals" and their accepted interpretation within the group is often the result of this tendency.
All the earmarks of religious fundamentalism can be seen in some atheists too. Fundamentalism is fundamentalism. It doesn't matter what the objects of belief are in.
As a lifelong atheist fundamentalist (one who is unwaveringly attached to our
singular "irreducible belief" in the non-existence of gods), I must be mentally ill.
(No surprise to many, eh?)
Is the compulsion to continually chat about religion & politics one of the symptoms?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My point is, YOU may see no reason to think there is a God, but it's a vacuous statement.
It's a perfectly cromulent statement.
When the subject of gods comes up, especially with believers & their
many unprovable myths, atheists are often asked why they disbelieve.
What reasons can we offer?
We cannot prove there are no gods....no evidence or reasoning to offer.
All we have is the lack of good reason to believe.
Is this so simple that it seems too simple?
Many atheists in this forum vehemently deny that disbelief entails belief of any kind, but unless they have the mind of a rock, that simply isn't true. They are "fundamentalists." "We see no reason to think there IS a God" is a statement of belief that carries with it as much potential for fundamentalism as as anything religious.
What definition of "fundamentalism" do you use?
It's neither the one I posted, nor is it the one Windwalker posted.

I begin to think that "fundamentalist" means.....
A pejorative term to call an obnoxious person on the other side of a religious argument.

If we're to make up our own definitions, then I propose that "squat cobbler" means theist.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Fundamentalism usually has a religious connotation that indicates unwavering attachment to a set of irreducible beliefs.[1] However, fundamentalism has come to apply to a tendency among certain groups—mainly, though not exclusively, in religion—that is characterized by a markedly strict literalism as applied to certain specific scriptures, dogmas, or ideologies, and a strong sense of the importance of maintaining ingroup and outgroup distinctions,[2][3][4][5] leading to an emphasis on purity and the desire to return to a previous ideal from which advocates believe members have strayed. Rejection of diversity of opinion as applied to these established "fundamentals" and their accepted interpretation within the group is often the result of this tendency.​
This definition simply cannot apply to atheism.
We don't have "irreducible beliefs".
We don't have "scriptures, dogmas, or ideologies".
We don't have "ingroup & outgroup distinctions".
We don't emphasize "purity & the desire to return to a previous ideal".

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps predictably, I'd question this, whilst admitting my own bias.
What are the set of irreducible beliefs, or literalism to certain specific scriptures, dogmas, or ideologies that atheism can possibly have?
  • Irreducible beliefs: Philosophical Materialism.
  • Literalism: Black and White, All or nothing, True or False binary thinking. No metaphors, in other words. No nuance, no symbolism.
  • Scriptures: Treating science as though it were the new authority on Truth with a capital T, replacing Church authority with Science authority, with a capital S
  • Dogmas: Insistence that all truth has to be empirically verifiable "Where's your evidence!" insisted upon the same way a religious fundamentalist insists you show him the supporting scriptures for your thoughts and ideas. Current scientific thought is tantamount to "The Word of God" and cannot be challenged lest you be deemed a heretic, scorned and ridiculed and chased down the street with torches and cries of "Woo!" as they purge the evil from amongst them.
  • Ideologies: That they have the "Real truth" because they have "Science" to support them. That "God" is a pink unicorn and only they know the truth now because they've come to see the "light" and must spread the word, share the gospel of truth with others who are living in delusions because they believe otherwise.
That's a few off the top of my head based on my association with atheism. Of course the above does not describe all atheists, but there are most certainly those who I've encountered, more than a just a mere few, that serve as my points of reference for the above. As I said before, it's just fundamentalism merely with different objects of belief they attach it to. All that changes is the beliefs, not the modes of thinking.

Please note, it is ENTIRELY possible for atheists to be fundamentalists. But they are building on an atheistic foundation, and their fundamentalism requires more than mere atheism to hang on.
No, actually fundamentalism doesn't require good supporting evidence. Fundamentalism will grip its beliefs tightly and block out any reasoned dialog that challenges those beliefs. It leads to irrational thought. I've seen atheist thought be just as anti-rational, anti-intellectual, and even anti-science as any good religious fundamentalist is. The reason for that is because it's not truly about being open to knowledge and evolving truth. Rather it's about being right and finding their sense of security in not being wrong. People mistake that because they "believe in evolution", that they must be on the right track because evolution is in fact valid science. But in reality, it's like people who in religion who see the religious fundamentalist claim to believe in God and assume they think like themselves about it.

As I said, HOW they believe something, whether that thing is strictly "true" or not is not the same thing as how healthy thought approaches things like belief and articles of faith. It's unhealthy form, pathological, diseased. To answer the "how do you know" question, I think of how Jesus himself might be used to answer that. His response was "By their fruits you shall know them". Look at their behaviors, look and how they act towards others, look at how open or closed they are, how dogmatic, how militant, how intolerant, how bigoted, how hateful, or the opposite, how graceful, how open, how loving, how patient, how kind, etc.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Please do not take it personally. Your perspective is compassion but it does not work that way with every one. I think all mystics of east and west will be declared as mentally ill. Whereas these mystics simply have a wider view of nature of existence.
Oh goodness, that would put me at the head of the list if "they" were to target mystics! :) In actuality though mystics are the utter opposite of fundamentalist, and we barely fit into a lot of mainstream religions either when we begin to talk about how we hold the symbols of faith others do. The fundamentalist holds beliefs with tight grips, squeezing so hard blood starts to ooze from their clenched hands. Mainstream followers lean upon their beliefs as supports and will cling to them as they need to as the weather arises and they struggle to find ground. The mystic on the other hand sits and looks at all beliefs and says "none of these is where truth is found, I must work to rid myself of my own ideas and the things I believe in to find what simply is, beyond beliefs. I cannot trust what others say is true, nor lean upon my own reasoning mind to penetrate truth. I must learn to simply be". As I said the mystic in no way shape or form fits being called fundamentalist.

As far as the mystic being labeled mentally ill, well that already happens! :) If you go to those who follow Freudian thought, they see all forms of mysticism as a regression to an infantile state of oceanic bliss. It's considered infantilism by them. They also may equate it with a type of schizophrenia, as schizophrenics may have similar experiences of the transcendent, albeight in dysfunctional and unhealthy ways as they are out of control with what is exposed in them. There are of course solid reasons why these comparisons don't hold up, which I won't get into here, but the point is a mystic being called a fundamentalist is not a concern. There is no comparision to be made at all. None of the definitions of fundamentalism fit the mystic, even remotely.

Last edited:

Palehorse

As I said, HOW they believe something, whether that thing is strictly "true" or not is not the same thing as how healthy thought approaches things like belief and articles of faith. It's unhealthy form, pathological, diseased. To answer the "how do you know" question, I think of how Jesus himself might be used to answer that. His response was "By their fruits you shall know them". Look at their behaviors, look and how they act towards others, look at how open or closed they are, how dogmatic, how militant, how intolerant, how bigoted, how hateful, or the opposite, how graceful, how open, how loving, how patient, how kind, etc.

I think fundamentalists would be great judges in the courts...but all the taverns are being converted to bars.

Colonial America to 1800
Taverns in the colonies closely followed the ordinaries of the mother country. Taverns, along with inns, at first were mostly known as ordinaries, which were constructed throughout most of New England.[11] These institutions were influential in the development of new settlements, serving as gathering spaces for the community. Taverns here though served many purposes such as courtrooms, religious meetings, trading posts, inns, post offices, and convenience stores.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As a lifelong atheist fundamentalist (one who is unwaveringly attached to our
singular "irreducible belief" in the non-existence of gods), I must be mentally ill.
I don't know, but you don't exactly impress me as a fundamentalist atheist. Again, simply believing something is true and be true to that does not a fundamentalist one make! I'd be a fundamentalist by that definition too, which I'm not.

Is the compulsion to continually chat about religion & politics one of the symptoms?
Not of fundamentalism, but maybe just good old obsessions. :) No, as far as that goes, I think it's really just a form of healthy passion for certain areas of life that we find interesting and important to us. If it overtakes your life where you have no life but the forum, then it could become an unhealthy form of passion becoming obsessive behaviors. There are fine lines we all walk.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This definition simply cannot apply to atheism.
We don't have "irreducible beliefs".
We don't have "scriptures, dogmas, or ideologies".
We don't have "ingroup & outgroup distinctions".
We don't emphasize "purity & the desire to return to a previous ideal".
First mistake is you referring to "atheism" as "we", as if you all speak with one voice and say the same thing. Atheism has a wide spectrum of those who identify with it, just as you have a wide spectrum of those who identify with belief in God. Not all of them are fundamentalists either, but SOME of them certainly are. It's the same in atheism as a whole. Please see my post #205 in this thread where I give examples of that I've seen countless times by SOME atheists. It mirrors what is seen in religious fundamentalism.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
First mistake is you referring to "atheism" as "we", as if you all speak with one voice and say the same thing.
Tis no error to use the word "we" when referring to a group which includes me.
This is notwithstanding the fact that "we" have so little in common, & are a group in concept only (no meetings, no enclaves, no countries).
We disbelieve in gods.
Other than that, we range from commies to capitalists, drooling to genius, Kalamazoo to Timbuktu, dreary to droll, peevish to pleasant, angelic to criminal, etc, etc.
Atheism has a wide spectrum of those who identify with it, just as you have a wide spectrum of those who identify with belief in God.
Believers have much more in common with each other though.
Looking at the larger faiths, many regularly meet at their church or equivalent.
Adherents to particular faiths have many beliefs in common about morality, the supernatural, purpose, prohibitions, etc.
Not all of them are fundamentalists either, but SOME of them certainly are. It's the same in atheism as a whole.
Since we atheists have one singular thing (disbelief) in common,
how is one more fundamentalist than another, using either your definition or mine?
Please see my post #205 in this thread where I give examples of that I've seen countless times by SOME atheists. It mirrors what is seen in religious fundamentalism.
I think you're looking at what some atheists believe about things unrelated to atheism.
If some atheists are "fundamentalist communists", then this is not about atheism, but rather communism,
ie, they're not "fundamentalist atheists", but rather "fundamentalist communists" who happen to be atheists.

Shad

Veteran Member
I agree, but watching the video may help them to avoid the special pleading or no true Scotsman fallacies.

There is no basis within atheism for one to embrace any of the ideas in the video. The conclusion is flawed as external influences led to people embracing such ideas. At best atheism dismisses a specific idea about metaphysics which in include a God concept and the associated ideas such as revelation, creation, etc.

As I said in my first post in this thread, treating religious fundamentalism as a mental illness is a two-edged sword (but atheists are not exactly known for their consistency).

The issue here is assuming religions are the cause rather than amplifying and/or exposing someone's obsessive behavior they already had.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Tis no error to use the word "we" when referring to a group which includes me.
Personally I don't do it with groups I identify with. I realize the diversity and wouldn't wish to appear to speak for others, nor they for me.

This is notwithstanding the fact that "we" have so little in common, & are a group in concept only (no meetings, no enclaves, no countries).
Except for the fact there are many atheist groups, meetup groups, official organizations, forum communities, political groups, and all those other actual organizations you don't think exist. :)

We disbelieve in gods.
I've been told it's nothing more than just a mere "lack of belief", which is different than an active denial. I guess I've been told wrong. ;)

Other than that, we range from commies to capitalists, drooling to genius, Kalamazoo to Timbuktu, dreary to droll, peevish to pleasant, angelic to criminal, etc, etc.
Add to that diverse list, fundamentalists.

Believers have much more in common with each other though.
They do??? How do you figure that? Last I look there seems quite a wide, and factious, divide amongst believers, far, far, far more than amongst atheists. You aren't aware of this somehow? You've been a member of this site for how many years now??? :)

Looking at the larger faiths, many regularly meet at their church or equivalent.
All 2.2 billion Christians meet at the same church and sing kumbaya together? Last I checked they mostly argue how each of each other are wrong. Add to that list many atheists who think all the Christians are wrong. Just one of the same bunch imagining they're different somehow by believing in the "no-God" version of God, in how I see it. :)

Adherents to particular faiths have many beliefs in common about morality, the supernatural, purpose, prohibitions, etc.
Same thing in atheist groups. Don't kid yourself. It's all the same thing.

Since we atheists have one singular thing (disbelief) in common, how is one more fundamentalist than another, using either your definition or mine?
Well you could reduce all religions to one singular thing like this "belief", but like the thing with atheism it's equally meaningless. Fundamentalism does not, for the 28th time in this thread, have a damn thing to do with the object of belief. It has to do with how they believe, not what they believe.

I think you're looking at what some atheists believe about things unrelated to atheism.
It's what many, a very large number, generally accept as core to their worldviews. Do you know many atheists who reject philosophical materialism? I know a few, but they aren't many, to be sure.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Except for the fact there are many atheist groups, meetup groups, official organizations, forum communities, political groups, and all those other actual organizations you don't think exist. :)
Of course I've heard of them.
Ever been to a meeting?
They're few, far between, & barely attended.
Getting atheists together is like herding cats.
We just don't organize the way religions do.
I've been told it's nothing more than just a mere "lack of belief", which is different than an active denial. I guess I've been told wrong. ;)
There are some strong atheists, who assert as fact there are no gods.
I don't know many of them....just a few.
Add to that diverse list, fundamentalists.
The word doesn't apply, by either of our definitions.
They do??? How do you figure that? Last I look there seems quite a wide, and factious, divide amongst believers, far, far, far more than amongst atheists. You aren't aware of this somehow?
I listed the ways in which they have commonality.
Outside of those, they are as diverse as we non-believers.
You've been a member of this site for how many years now??? :)
According to my profile, for a little over 6 years.
All 2.2 billion Christians meet at the same church and sing kumbaya together?
I thought that by context, it'd be clear that they generally meet at a church, but not all at the same one.
I'm presuming too much, eh?
Last I checked they mostly argue how each of each other are wrong. Add to that list many atheists who think all the Christians are wrong. Just one of the same bunch imagining they're different somehow by believing in the "no-God" version of God, in how I see it. :)
It's late, & I'm not groking your point here.
Same thing in atheist groups. Don't kid yourself. It's all the same thing.
This is to miss my point that atheism confers no uniform beliefs upon us.
But religions do.
Well you could reduce all religions to one singular thing like this "belief", but like the thing with atheism it's equally meaningless. Fundamentalism does not, for the 28th time in this thread, have a damn thing to do with the object of belief. It has to do with how they believe, not what they believe.
I think I'm not getting thru at all.
Xianity is not a single belief.
The Bible has many many details to believe.
Atheism doesn't have this.
And now I'm repeating myself.
It's what many, a very large number, generally accept as core to their worldviews. Do you know many atheists who reject philosophical materialism? I know a few, but they aren't many, to be sure.
Diversity of belief among atheists is not a consequence of atheism.
Dang....I'm repeating again.

Caution:
If any of the above is nonsensical, that's cuz it's late, & I'm running out of gas.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course I've heard of them.
Ever been to a meeting?
Yes, regularly. I was part of one.

They're few, far between, & barely attended.
Not in my experience. :)

Getting atheists together is like herding cats.
Not in my experience. Not in my area.

We just don't organize the way religions do.
Not in your experience.

There are some strong atheists, who assert as fact there are no gods.
I don't know many of them....just a few.
Other way around for me.

The word doesn't apply, by either of our definitions.
I certainly does, by most definitions. Denial is not a just a river in Egypt, as they say. :)

It's late. I need to go to bed. Been fun...

Agondonter

There is no basis within atheism for one to embrace any of the ideas in the video. The conclusion is flawed as external influences led to people embracing such ideas. At best atheism dismisses a specific idea about metaphysics which in include a God concept and the associated ideas such as revelation, creation, etc.
Interesting. You're saying atheism uses metaphysics to dismiss metaphysics.

atanu

Premium Member
I also observe that some people are suited for fundamentalism.
They tend to.....
- Believe in central control causing things to happen.
So they're big on not just a creating & intervening god, but also prone to conspiracy theories.

I don't understand this. If one truly believes in one central control, that is one divine control, then how can the notion of 'conspiracy ' creep in?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't understand this. If one truly believes in one central control, that is one divine control, then how can the notion of 'conspiracy ' creep in?
Because in mythological thinking there is the opposing force of evil. Everything is seen in terms of good and evil, God and Satan. Conspiracies are the mythological version of evil, unseen forces outside our control choosing our fates for us for our destruction, rather than for our good, like God would do.

What he is describing isn't by default fundamentalism by the way, but just plain old mythological thought. Mythic thought sees things in terms of external forces of good versus evil. Fundamentalists in religion are at the mythological stage largely (but not necessarily), and as a result take these thoughts into extreme dysfunction. This is why you see conspiracy theories running amok in them. Dark, mysterious forces that are out to get them. It's all battles being waged for your soul. They have no power in themselves against such things and must call upon the angels to do battle for them. The myth of good and evil being taken to extremes. Yet another symptom of the fundamentalist disease.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, regularly. I was part of one.

Not in my experience. :)

Not in my experience. Not in my area.

Not in your experience.

Other way around for me.

I certainly does, by most definitions. Denial is not a just a river in Egypt, as they say. :)

It's late. I need to go to bed. Been fun...
Your experience with both atheists & fundies is vastly different from mine.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I listed the ways in which they have commonality.
Outside of those, they are as diverse as we non-believers.
Here's the list you provided:
  • many regularly meet at their church or equivalent
  • morality
  • the supernatural
  • purpose
  • prohibitions, etc.
In Christianity alone there is not a whole lot of commonality in the above, outside perhaps the social aspects of gathering together. Excluding "the supernatural" for the moment, all of the above apply to things atheists share in common as well, as they are all social and cultural values which anyone, believer or non-believer participate in the culture at large. Atheism in the West, in all honesty, based upon the fact they are part of Western culture can really, actually be called "Christianity without God". Chew on that one awhile. I look forward seeing the flack from that one! :)

Though it's obvious that term will not be received well by most, it is a valid statement if you honestly think about it in the light that we all are part of the general Western ethos which has been informed through Christianity in the West. No one escapes it. Even atheists, in their rejection of God, still have the same basic moralities within the common ranges of conservative to liberal. They still see the world through the same sorts of general frameworks, not launching off into some truly foreign modes of thoughts such as you would find in cultures we did not grow up in, such as Eastern cultures. These are not merely ideas and beliefs, but entire ways of thinking themselves that mark cultures from one another. Therefore, Western atheists are in fact in general part of the Christian heritage of values and modes of thinking, irrespective of specific beliefs about gods and science and whatnot.

This is to miss my point that atheism confers no uniform beliefs upon us.
But religions do.
Anytime you have people who have relationships with one another, cultures and values become conferred upon those who are part of them. Don't believe for one second this has anything to do with beliefs in the supernatural. It has to do with being humans and social animals. Atheists are that just as much as Christians are. Group dynamics apply to them equally, and you'll see the same things going on, even it it is operating at different levels. It happens in children, it happens with adults, it happens with men, it happens with women, it happens with believers, it happens with atheists, and so on. No escaping it.

I think I'm not getting thru at all.
Xianity is not a single belief.
The Bible has many many details to believe.
Atheism doesn't have this.
And now I'm repeating myself.
You are mistaking Christianity as being only about teachings of the Bible. It most certainly is a whole lot more than that, and in fact that's really incidental to what makes it what it is. What makes it what it is is people in relationships with one another, bringing their values to bear with others and co-creating the religion. The "Bible" then simply becomes reflective of their shared beliefs and values in how they apply their interpretations to it. The exact same thing happens with groups of atheists, and humanists, or Masons, or Lion's club, or Rotary clubs, and so forth.

You seem to assume Christian actually has God telling them what to do and they aren't part of creating what it is for themselves. :) It is nothing but what they create for themselves, and the exact same forces are going to be at work with atheists who have any sense of community with other atheists, be that in local gatherings, or here in the Virtual World. Forums are in fact places of social gathering and interactions and cultures. Atheists do have that. You are participating in it right here, right now. It's right in front of you, and all the forces are in play creating shared beliefs and values. There's no escape. :)

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'll use a friend as an example.....
As a fundie, he believes that God created & guides life.
In things political, he believes there are no spontaneous or grass roots movements,
eg, Soviet agents here created the anti-war movement in the 1960s,
Our country's decline is engineered by Obama & his cohorts (who want to destroy the country).

While I see things like anti-war movements as emergent properties of stochastic processes,
he sees that everything happens for a singular reason, ie, by design & plan carried out.

Oh, & if you wonder how the Soviets became the way they were.....
th