• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Fundamentalism Could Soon be Treated as a Mental Illness

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As I read your analogy, it was about the bar representing a fundamentalist group.
The non-alcoholic wasn't a fundamentalist, but was in the group.
The alcoholic was a fundamentalist.
Correct.

In the case I spoke of, Bart is a fundamentalist, & you would (as I understand your posts) be classified as mentally ill.
As people spoke of me, I was a fundamentalist. But was I?

I assert that he is a fundamentalist.
(So does he.)
So did I.

With no outward signs of any dysfunction, how on Earth can anyone say that on the inside he clinically mentally ill?
They can't, and shouldn't. Just because he drinks and socializes at the bar with alcoholics, and even identifies himself with his "buds" down at Louie's Salon and proudly considers himself one of them, spewing forth the same drunken drivel they do in how we never landed on the moon and the earth is only 6000 years old in an attempt to fit in with the culture, doesn't mean he actually is an alcoholic himself.

If I see no signs of trouble, it's pretty safe to assume there's no trouble.
It is? I would say that anyone who exposes themselves to unhealthy environments is running a potential risk. "Gosh, you seem like you're drinking an awful lot more these days down at Louie's with the drunks then you used to", would be reason for concern, even if they haven't picked up the disease in themselves yet. Otherwise, if they're managing to keep themselves together despite hanging out with the drunks, then as you say so far there's no trouble for them doing it.

But for what reason should anyone presume there is trouble when there are no signs of it?
Again, you don't know what truly is going on inside someone. When the "signs" start to show, the sickness is well established. But it starts without the signs. Until then, the best we can tell is that they're still healthy, despite them hanging around with the drunks in an unhealthy environment and culture.

By this line of thought, I could say that every religious person is mentally ill.
Not at all. Fundamentalism is not a valid form of religion. Not every religion is fundamentalist, and not every religious person is fundamentalist, even those who go to fundamentalist churches.

You couldn't prove otherwise for any individual because I could always say, "There could be something inside which you cannot see.".
But it is you who is saying they don't have a problem because you don't see it. That is flawed reasoning. Someone only starts to show symptoms of the flu after they are infected. Until then, neither you nor I can say they have the flu. We don't know until they show symptoms.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think one's belief is subjective and unless it objectively becomes destructive to self or to society, you cannot identify the people to treat. OTOH, alcoholism is very objective.
Again, who is suggesting we put it on ourselves to identify those who are diseased to got out and impose treatment upon them? Fundamentalism is a disease, and like alcoholism it too is objective and shows signs of dysfunction. I do not equate fundamentalism with certain theological beliefs. I do not equate alcoholism with drinking alcohol either. Believing the earth is 6000 years old is simply pre-rational thinking, mythic-literal thought. It is something children believe because they can't grasp a scientific reality. That's not what defines fundamentalism. That defines just ignorance and a lack of development. That's not something you treat as a disease. It's just something you simply hope education will help to grow those who are still stuck there. You don't call a lack of development a disease.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Again, who is suggesting we put it on ourselves to identify those who are diseased to got out and impose treatment upon them? Fundamentalism is a disease, and like alcoholism it too is objective and shows signs of dysfunction. I do not equate fundamentalism with certain theological beliefs. I do not equate alcoholism with drinking alcohol either. Believing the earth is 6000 years old is simply pre-rational thinking, mythic-literal thought. It is something children believe because they can't grasp a scientific reality. That's not what defines fundamentalism. That defines just ignorance and a lack of development. That's not something you treat as a disease. It's just something you simply hope education will help to grow those who are still stuck there. You don't call a lack of development a disease.

Very early in the thread I suggested that objective measures would be welcome. But I do not agree that there is any foolproof method. This has the potential to lead to witch-hunting.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As people spoke of me, I was a fundamentalist. But was I?
I noticed earlier that my wording was completely ***** up.
See my edited post.

You're just too fast for me!
They can't, and shouldn't. Just because he drinks and socializes at the bar with alcoholics, and even identifies himself with his "buds" down at Louie's Salon and proudly considers himself one of them, spewing forth the same drunken drivel they do in an attempt to fit in with the culture, doesn't mean he actually an alcoholic himself.
In this case, the analogy is confusing rather than illuminating.
It sounds like "not all fundamentalists are fundamentalists".
It is? I would say that anyone who exposes themselves to unhealthy environments is running a potential risk. "Gosh, you seem like you're drinking an awful lot more these days down at Louie's with the drunks then you used to", would be reason for concern, even if they haven't picked up the disease in themselves yet. Otherwise, if they're managing to keep themselves together despite hanging out with the drunks, then as you say so far there's no trouble for them doing it.
Analogy problem again.
Again, you don't know what truly is going on inside someone. When the "signs" start to show, the sickness is well established. But it starts without the signs. Until then, the best we can tell is that they're still healthy, despite them hanging around with the drunks in an unhealthy environment and culture.
But neither do you know what is going on inside someone.
To pronounce someone mentally ill without outward signs of dysfunction isn't productive.
Moreover, these folk would take offense, which is counter-productive.
Not at all. Fundamentalism is not a valid form of religion.
I thought I'd covered the problem of differing definitions of "fundamentalism" earlier.
(It's hard to keep track of so many discussions in so many threads.)
But in case I hadn't, I go with dictionary.com....
noun
1. ...a religious movement characterized by a strict belief in the literal interpretation of religious texts, especially within American Protestantism and Islam.
2. the beliefs held by those in this movement.
3. strict adherence to any set of basic ideas or principles: the fundamentalism of the extreme conservatives.

Who is the authority on things supernatural to say that this type of religious belief is invalid?
I'm not saying they're right.
(I disagree strongly with them.)
But I don't see their flavor of religion as significantly less cromulent than others.
Not every religion is fundamentalist, and not every religious person is fundamentalist, even those who go to fundamentalist churches.
I agree.
We all know that religions can range from nebulous spirituality to literal scriptural interpretation (ie, fundamentalism).
I don't see that this has ever been disputed.
But it is you who is saying they don't have a problem because you don't see it. That is flawed reasoning.
I disagree. If no problem manifests itself, then what is there to treat? Where is the illness?
I've discussed just this issue with my many tenants who are psychologists, psychiatrists, analysts & social workers.
(I'm that kind of landlord....I talk too much, & want to understand their business, & get to know them.)
The general professional approach is that if one is happy, healthy, & in no way suffering from some particular state of mind, then one isn't mentally ill.
Am I wrong.
Possibly.
But I've heard no good argument that mere fundamentalism equates to clinical mental illness.
(I will say fundies are loopy, but that's a different matter. Btw, they think I'm loopy too.)
Someone only starts to show symptoms of the flu after they are infected. Until then, neither you nor I can say they have the flu. We don't know until they show symptoms.
I don't accept this analogy.
Infection with the flu virus has unavoidable medical consequences.
Fundamentalist religious beliefs don't always lead to such.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I did not imply that anyone supported that.
But since it's possible that some might, I asked how this mental illness should be dealt with.
Why ask me? I wouldn't imagine the absurd. Why not ask, so are you saying we should force sterilization on them? Such thoughts never would enter my mind, and I'm surprised anyone would legitimately consider that a possibility. It's paranoid thinking.

I our country, we have had forced detainment & treatment of the mentally ill.
Good god, but we sure aren't doing that now.

Some still advocate that.
Why consider that a legitimate concern and dignify it by even asking the question? Some also believe the "white man" is putting stuff in the drinking water of black men to make them "do things". I've heard a video from the last decade where there were those who honestly believe this is true. There's all sorts of nutty beliefs out there.

So I asked the question of you, rather than making any assumption.
Yes, and we're not going to sterilize them, put them into internment camps, put things in their drinking water, put microchips under their skin to monitor them, use them in experiments for alien research.... :)

What kind of treatment do you think would benefit someone suffering from religious fundamentalism?
Now this is a legitimate question! Again though, this is for those who are actively seeking help with the sickness, to help them with all the issues associated with it. It's in no small way like those who are existing abusive relationships, who were subjected to terrorist threats by their abusive spouses. They need to regain self-esteem, self-love, self-confidence. Trust issues, spiritual issues, emotional issues, and cognitive issues. The list of things affected are many, and I've seen them countless times in those who have existed these systems. It has messed with their lives and they need help dealing with it. That is why it is being sought to be called a disease, but like alcoholism, it can in fact ruin lives.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Very early in the thread I suggested that objective measures would be welcome. But I do not agree that there is any foolproof method. This has the potential to lead to witch-hunting.
What witch hunting? Explain this specifically to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why ask me? I wouldn't imagine the absurd.
You're an interesting fellow who has given this much thought.
So I want to know more about your views on the matter.

I didn't imply anything, nor am I fishing for something to snipe at.
Why not ask, so are you saying we should force sterilization on them? Such thoughts never would enter my mind, and I'm surprised anyone would legitimately consider that a possibility. It's paranoid thinking.
I didn't ask about that because it seemed too unlikely that anyone here would favor it.
Again, don't be too quick to infer an accusation from a question.
Good god, but we sure aren't doing that now.
Amen to that.
Why consider that a legitimate concern and dignify it by even asking the question?
I wanted to know.
Some also believe the "white man" is putting stuff in the drinking water of black men to make them "do things". I've heard a video from the last decade where there were those who honestly believe this is true. There's all sorts of nutty beliefs out there.
It's so extraordinarily unlikely that you'd think that, I saw no reason to ask.
There are many questions which never even occur to me.
Yes, and we're not going to sterilize them, put them into internment camps, put things in their drinking water, put microchips under their skin to monitor them, use them in experiments for alien research.... :)
Yes, I've already figured out that we're on the same side.
Now this is a legitimate question!
Woo hoo!
This detente should stop gadflies from accusing me of posting straw men!
Again though, this is for those who are actively seeking help with the sickness, to help them with all the issues associated with it. It's in no small way like those who are existing abusive relationships, who were subjected to terrorist threats by their abusive spouses. They need to regain self-esteem, self-love, self-confidence. Trust issues, spiritual issues, emotional issues, and cognitive issues. The list of things affected are many, and I've seen them countless times in those who have existed these systems. It has messed with their lives and they need help dealing with it. That is why it is being sought to be called a disease, but like alcoholism, it can in fact ruin lives.
I wonder if it's like the chicken & egg scenario, ie, which came first?
Does fundamentalist religious belief lead to mental illness in some?
Or does a person who is mentally ill have this condition result in or be exacerbated by fundamentalist beliefs?
Could it be either one at times?
In any case, I see that one can be mentally healthy (but still loopy, IMO) & fundamentalist.

Note to my fundie friends.....
No major disrespect intended here....only minor disrespect.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It should be. These are ppl who vigorously promote and defend a belief they can't prove while simultaneously showing disreguard for equally errored beliefs of others.
A true study of world religious texts by an honest open minded person will prove my statement true.
Any view of god that divides ppl is an incorrect one.
Since every belief in gods cannot be proven, that would make all believers mentally ill.

Agondonter

If you think atheism is without its own fundamentalists, think again.

If you want to see how incoherent, vitriolic and hateful atheists can be, visit any atheist forum; if you think atheism can't be classified as a religion and is free of bigotry and self-righteousness and downright silliness, watch this video of atheists dedicating a monument to atheism.

(The monument is engraved with the words: "An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty banished, war eliminated," all of which are false dichotomies. It's fine with me if atheists have their monuments, but it would be preferable if they could make them without misrepresentation.)

My question is this: Why single out religious fundamentalism?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you think atheism is without its own fundamentalists, think again.
I, for one, subscribe to our fundamental belief, ie, there are no gods.
(Since this cannot be proven, it's a speculative position, ie, not a fact or The Truth.)
So I'm a "fundaentalist" in that sense, but the term doesn't make much sense or have much use.
If you're using the term, "fundamentalist", to refer to oppressive sanctimonious jerks, then this merely a connotation of the term.
For atheists who are oppressive sanctimonious jerks, I prefer to call them "oppressive sanctimonious jerks".
If you want to see how incoherent, vitriolic and hateful atheists can be, visit any atheist forum; if you think atheism can't be classified as a religion and is free of bigotry and self-righteousness and downright silliness, watch this video of atheists dedicating a monument to atheism.
I'm not watching any videos.
But we don't deny that some atheists are jerks.
Being rational & civil aren't requirements for disbelief in gods....anyone can join.
(The monument is engraved with the words: "An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church.
I say people should build whichever they want if it's with their own money.
I've no problem with fancy churches....although they ought'a pay property taxes like the rest of us.
No free rides on my dime.
An atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said.
Well, actions do speak louder than words.
(Forgive the bad grammar.....it's saying.)
An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty banished, war eliminated," all of which are false dichotomies. It's fine with me if atheists have their monuments, but it would be preferable if they could make them without misrepresentation.)
Atheists don't all want the same things, so such a monument is presumptuous.
Regarding those listed things, believers & atheists have much in common.
My question is this: Why single out religious fundamentalism?
Religious fundamentalism differs because there is typically the belief of many detailed prescriptions as inerrant truth.
There is danger here, eg, if they believe homosexuality is an abomination, they might persecute homos.
It leads some to murder abortion docs & staff, commit terrorist acts, & crash veterans' funerals.
Atheism differs in that the mere disbelief in gods requires nothing of us.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Special pleading.

Rubbish. What exactly can a lack of theism REQUIRE.
Look at it in reverse if it's easier for you, since there are certain people who prefer negative connotations. What morality is required of an atheist due to their atheism?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In this case, the analogy is confusing rather than illuminating.
It sounds like "not all fundamentalists are fundamentalists".
Not everyone who goes to a fundamentalist church is truly a fundamentalist. Some are reasonable people, just taking what they are being told as true because they want to believe it.

But neither do you know what is going on inside someone.
Exactly, neither you nor I can say what exactly is going on inside another person. However, someone with experience and insight could recognize tell-tale signs in another, when even they themselves aren't self-aware of it. That's true too.

To pronounce someone mentally ill without outward signs of dysfunction isn't productive.
Who has done that or is suggesting that?

Moreover, these folk would take offense, which is counter-productive.
Well, again to say for the umpteenth time, I've only ever said fundamentalism is a disease. I am looking at it as a system, hence the suffix "ism". People are not "isms". Isms are beliefs and ideologies. The system is what is sick and a pathology. Someone in it may only be "social drinker" to use the comparison. If saying fundamentalism is a pathology offends them, well that's like saying calling bigotry bad offends people so don't do that. I say it needs to be said. They should look at it and really examine it and make an informed decision. Saying it's "ok" is not helpful.

I thought I'd covered the problem of differing definitions of "fundamentalism" earlier.
(It's hard to keep track of so many discussions in so many threads.)
But in case I hadn't, I go with dictionary.com....
noun
1. ...a religious movement characterized by a strict belief in the literal interpretation of religious texts, especially within American Protestantism and Islam.
2. the beliefs held by those in this movement.
3. strict adherence to any set of basic ideas or principles: the fundamentalism of the extreme conservatives.
I have a problem with these definitions, as I pointed out before. If you want to actually know what something is in greater detail, you go to experts, specialists, not dictionaries. Here's the problem with the above. Yes, fundamentalism is "characterized" by literalism. But, not all literalists are fundamentalists! Literalism does not define fundamentalism. Rather literalism is characteristically part of the fundamentalist mind. It's also part of the mythic-literal mainstream traditionalist churches. But they are NOT fundamentalists. Pat Robertson and ilk is not at all the same as the believer of myths, taking Jesus walking on water as literally true while he goes to his mainstream Presbyterian church.

As far as strict adherence to basic ideas, well, I don't think that defines them either! Anyone following a particular lineage and is highly committed to that path, which many are, is not the same as a fundamentalist. Again fundamentalism is a modern phenomenon. It is specifically a response to modernity. It did not exist prior to the modern age! It was born in the 1900s American in direct response to neo-orthodoxies on the rise in the modern church as a reaction to it. It is by definition reactionary. Literal beliefs in myths, and strict adherence to beliefs and practices existed long before the modern age. Fundamentalism specifically is an "anti". It is anti-intellectual, anti-modernity.

This definition you find at a dictionary is NOT authoritative on the subject. You have to go to the experts. Not dictionaries. People who write dictionaries are not experts on every area they put definitions to. Do you know how dictionaries are compiled? Do imagine it's rooms and rooms full of experts on every word? That's not what happens, and they should not be considered definitive sources of knowledge. The sources of knowledge are the experts themselves. Go to them instead. Take what they say over what you read in the dictionary.

Who is the authority on things supernatural to say that this type of religious belief is invalid?
Experts in religion. Those who have a breadth and depth and range of knowledge in these areas are. There's more I can add to this but I'll save it to later.

I'm not saying they're right.
(I disagree strongly with them.)
But I don't see their flavor of religion as significantly less cromulent than others.
I do, for a list of reasons I can share.

I agree.
We all know that religions can range from nebulous spirituality to literal scriptural interpretation (ie, fundamentalism).
I don't see that this has ever been disputed.
Again, literalism does not define fundamentalism. Not all literalists are fundamentalists. That's like saying every 5 year old who takes everything as literal true, not understanding "as if" statements, not understand metaphors is a fundamentalist. :) If literalism defines fundamentalism then every concrete operational stage child is one. That simply isn't true.

Out of time here.

Last edited:

Agondonter

Keep in mind not all atheist are part of the wave of "New Atheism" that require monuments, protests or associated with communism, eugenics, etc as per the flawed BBC documentary.
I agree, but watching the video may help them to avoid the special pleading or no true Scotsman fallacies.

As I said in my first post in this thread, treating religious fundamentalism as a mental illness is a two-edged sword (but atheists are not exactly known for their consistency).

Last edited: