• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious none? What do you call this?

So after 8 months of giving up my belief in Christianity and coming to a whole slew of different conclusions, I feel like I am at a standstill with what to believe. I don't know what to even tell someone that I am at this point. I claimed Deist first, and then agnostic, then finally agnostic atheist. However, after 5 months or so of claiming to be an atheist, I'm a bit tired, and almost disillusioned. So... where do I go from here? I still don't believe in god, the bible or religion. At least the gods of man-made religions. I don't believe in heaven, or hell but I believe in the possibility of an afterlife in some capacity, that the soul may be a real thing. I'm sure this may contradict my god belief. I'm not saying I believe in an afterlife one way or another, I'm just simply saying I don't know.

To whether there is any kind of greater power to the universe, an all powerful creator, or anything of that sort, I would say I am completely agnostic to. I don't really like the atheist title, even if I am one. I had a conversation with someone actually recently who told me the same thing. I actually felt the most at peace when I considered myself "Agnostic," as I treated the situation of religion and existence of god that I don't have knowledge that they exist, so by that notion, I didn't sway one way or another whether I believed or not, and went about my life treating it as they didn't exist, assuming that no divine spectacle was going to happen to persuade me otherwise.

I'm also a believer in Humanism, so I associate with that quite a bit. I think at this point, I may just be under the "none," category without a title. I'm kind of tired of putting myself in a box, as I feel no matter what I do, it makes me doubt and makes me more dogmatic. I'm also very interested in the different concepts of Pantheism/Pandeism, etc. Any thoughts?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So after 8 months of giving up my belief in Christianity and coming to a whole slew of different conclusions, I feel like I am at a standstill with what to believe. I don't know what to even tell someone that I am at this point.

One can be unconvinced and, therefore, uncertain.

While uncertainty may well be uncomfortable, it may also reflect intellectual integrity. Embrace it.

I am quite certain that I don't believe in any kind of personal god.
To whatever else there is to the universe, if there even IS anything, I will admit that I don't know what I believe.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
To whatever else there is to the universe, if there even IS anything, I will admit that I don't know what I believe.
Sounds like you're not religious, but aren't making any claims beyond that. Don't stress about labels, they just get in the way sometimes. But ultimately if someone asked me what I 'was' and my beliefs were like yours, I'd probably just say 'Not religious'.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
So after 8 months of giving up my belief in Christianity and coming to a whole slew of different conclusions, I feel like I am at a standstill with what to believe. I don't know what to even tell someone that I am at this point. I claimed Deist first, and then agnostic, then finally agnostic atheist. However, after 5 months or so of claiming to be an atheist, I'm a bit tired, and almost disillusioned. So... where do I go from here? I still don't believe in god, the bible or religion. At least the gods of man-made religions. I don't believe in heaven, or hell but I believe in the possibility of an afterlife in some capacity, that the soul may be a real thing. I'm sure this may contradict my god belief. I'm not saying I believe in an afterlife one way or another, I'm just simply saying I don't know.

To whether there is any kind of greater power to the universe, an all powerful creator, or anything of that sort, I would say I am completely agnostic to. I don't really like the atheist title, even if I am one. I had a conversation with someone actually recently who told me the same thing. I actually felt the most at peace when I considered myself "Agnostic," as I treated the situation of religion and existence of god that I don't have knowledge that they exist, so by that notion, I didn't sway one way or another whether I believed or not, and went about my life treating it as they didn't exist, assuming that no divine spectacle was going to happen to persuade me otherwise.

I'm also a believer in Humanism, so I associate with that quite a bit. I think at this point, I may just be under the "none," category without a title. I'm kind of tired of putting myself in a box, as I feel no matter what I do, it makes me doubt and makes me more dogmatic. I'm also very interested in the different concepts of Pantheism/Pandeism, etc. Any thoughts?
Nothingarian perhaps?
Even if only until you find a better fitting label...

nothingarian (n.)​
"one who has no particular belief," especially in religious matters, 1789, from nothing + ending from unitarian, etc.​

I see! Thanks! this might be a bit of a longer post, but I am still learning things about myself essentially.
I definitely feel like I strongly resonate with the whole "agnostic," notion in a lot of cases. It also seems sometimes that agnostics can be a little bit more open-minded and tolerant of others, compared to atheists. Not necessarily on here. A lot of atheists it seems, again not necessarily on here, that most believers are delusional, stupid and irrational. And though I do share the same disdain for religion, particularly that of revealed religion or religion based around Theistic beliefs, I wouldn't really go so far to call others stupid and delusional. Most people are simply believing in most cases what they were indoctrinated into. I know I was when I was a Christian. There are some great things however that people have done in the name of religion or their beliefs, like building hospitals, homeless shelters, etc.

I feel I am a bit more open-minded now recently about knowing more about the universe since it's so vast. I don't think we as humans have all the answers, or in a lot of cases, probably aren't even asking the right questions. Do I believe in any kind of personal god? No. Do I believe there is some kind of higher power in the universe, beyond what is known? I don't know. Like I said, the universe is so vast, I feel it would be ignorant of myself, or anyone in general to assume that we could answer such a question. I don't really think there is any way of knowing this. Do I believe in heaven or hell? No, not really. Do I believe that when we die, there is just nothingness and we return to the earth, ceasing to exist? I don't know. I don't feel I can answer that question. However, I strongly disbelieve the whole concept and notion of the "heaven and hell," scenarios. I think it's possible that we could exist in some kind of spiritual form after death. Obviously there's no way of knowing that until we pass on, so I myself don't really worry about it personally.

PureX

Veteran Member
Not 'believing in' a personal God does not mean there is or isn't one. Believing is not knowing. It's what we do when we want to pretend we know, but don't.

I agree with the others here that recommend letting go of the 'need to believe', and embrace the mystery, instead.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Sounds very similar to my path. What I came down to is that Labels are meaningless. What I am is me and nobody is the same. Sure, there are people like yourself that are similar in my beliefs but how does that help me. Why do I need others to support what I believe am I not satisfied with the work that I've done to get to where I am? Do I need to have others believe the same things as me? When I looked at it that way I became satisfied with being unlabeled. When debating other's I will give them my beliefs but ask them not to label me as I am not a theist, I am not an atheist and I am not an agnostic. To be honest other than for fun with debating I really have no stance on religious matters.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Who needs labels anyway?
People who eat canned goods.

Cans-labelless.jpg