• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RELIGOUS SCIENTISM - "WHERE IS THE MATH"?

Audie

Veteran Member
Pretty good for a HS education these days, and might even get you through some freshman physics if you have the math, but doesn't deal with most of what has been learned since the plum pudding days, and when germanium diodes started replacing 5Y3s etc.

Intuitive and common sense just doesn't cut it in physics anymore.
You've read Lucretius? There's some terrific common
sense physics.

Pogo

You've read Lucretius? There's some terrific common
sense physics.
Seriously, I am a product of American education, we only know it if we reinvent it for ourselves. :)

But thanks for the reference.

Audie

Veteran Member
Lucretius was not exactly in the curriculum, but what other people were doing was often the major topic.
Why did Cindy across the street miss her senior year and go away? and so forth.
Too much cultural-cultural for me.

Audie

Veteran Member
Be happy, though it is human nature, so it happens in Hong Kong too,
I guess that will have to do.

If I see someone, doing
something, here in HK, i can ask- is this that to which pogo
referentiated ?

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
@Native

Do you ever feel fire-burn when drinking from light and also an inner peace?

Also, this light can think.

I keep learning allowing. I allow light in me; teach me how to drink from light in the midst of my situations.

Is asking "Do you" is that to harsh or how does one ask? I was thinking about this later. Maybe I should only write "I relate" or "I experience." What do you think? I'll leave the (Do you) there and let me know.

I'm curious about that. How to ask and not sound harsh.
Not that specifically as you seem to feel - but in general , yes. I´ve got several light experiences out of body from my dreams.

No worries, I´m very relaxed when reading and replying.

BTW: I wish to make a reply extension to your initial comment on "membranes and licking light".

The Earth has also such a membrane, consisting of its magnetic field - and it is constantly "licking Light from the Sun and the Milky Way galaxy .

Regards

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Who wrote the laws of Physics?
What makes you think there is a 'who'?

Energy is not conserved it is consumed.
:facepalm: So you failed even basic science at school? Energy is converted from one form into another.

I think I have a pretty good grasp on time.
What is time? Time is a concept of mankind that was devised in order to measure duration in existence. I know you think it is a dimension of the universe because someone said so.
No, because there is endless evidence that General Relativity is a very good model of space-time.

But none of that or the article you quoted gives a source for whatever it was that expanded into our universe. The only thing available is nonexistence.

You want to tackle that problem?
It's the whole space-time that expanding in the future direction.

The space-time is a 4-dimensional manifold. If time is finite in the past, then that's a geometrical property of the space-time. Time is not something that ticks away relentlessly in the background of every thing, like Newton thought. It's an observer-dependant direction through the space-time manifold. The manifold 'just is' as a 4-dimensional object. It makes no more sense looking for the reason it exists at the 'start' of time (if there was one) than it would to look for why the Earth exists at the North Pole.

But if that stuff don't have energy it don't exist.
And....?

I thought the composition of matter was very specific.
Clearly. You are thinking of one of the ways it which the term can be used.

Native

And for far longer than that cosmologists have been asking the same question. The answer is that they don't know.
How can you even then conclude everything to be based on math?
Actually it is entirely based on math, on a set of equations that explained the patterns and observations of astronomers
icant said:
Dark energy and Dark matter are created by an assumption. It is assumed they exist without any evidence because if all that energy and matter did not exist the universe would fly apart.
Not actually an assumption but a calculation that if the theory that had so far been so accurate, then (# 1) to explain certain anomalies there would have to be "dark" matter and energy. (# 2)Dark matter has already been confirmed in that there is apparently stuff that behaves like matter in how it bends light etc that answers the questions as to why certain things were seen in spite of the observation that they did not contain enough matter.
(# 3) Dark holes are another success that having been postulated according to the theory, they were looked for and found exactly where they would have been expected.
Ad # 1: Their initial assumption was not correct so they added yet more assumptions.
Ad # 2: "Apparently confirmed" is the correct expression. And it only "confirms" former assumptions in a biased theory which apparently needs loots of more assumptions.
Ad #3: Galactic swirling centers are several thousands lightyears thick. How can anyone determine this to be a hole with an 2D-like event horizon?

Native

I myself believe the universe has eternally existed in the past, the present, and the future, just not necessarily in the form we see it today.

So do I - and this was/is the natural conviction in the ancestral numerous cultural Stories of Creation.

When they were scholarly interpreted to be speaking of a beginning, our ancestor in fact told specifically of the principle pre-conditions of and factual creation of the Milky Way Galaxy.
A global telling which funny enough is very much like the Standard Model Theory formation of the Solar System, which isn´t included in the galactic formation as the ancestral story.

ratiocinator

How can you even then conclude everything to be based on math?
We know the mathematical model (General Relativity) matches reality very well. It breaks down at the very start and predicts a singularity. However, the other most fundamental theory we have—Quantum Field Theory—will became significant near that point and we don't yet know hoe the two theories work together.

icant said:
Dark energy and Dark matter are created by an assumption. It is assumed they exist without any evidence because if all that energy and matter did not exist the universe would fly apart.
And @icant was wrong. There is direct evidence. We can even draw maps of where dark matter is. Dark energy is more elusive but both are basically place-holder names for phenomena we cannot yet fully explain. They are the opposite of assumptions without evidence, they are evidence without full explanations.

Ad #3: Galactic swirling centers are several thousands lightyears thick. How can anyone determine this to be a hole with an 2D-like event horizon?
Eh? "2D-like event horizon"? What are you talking about?

Native

The word 'matter' has no precise meaning in physics. It can refer to various things depending on the context, but in this context, yes, it's reasonable to say that you're made of matter.

You are not made of energy, however, energy is a property. It is not 'stuff'. You do need energy to live, however.
It´s very funny how people can distinct themselves from what is naturally :) - But of course if one only have "gravity" to govern everything, everything else is being excluded and alienated.

Atoms and molecules carries electromagnetic energy, so try again, rationcinator :)

Last edited:

ratiocinator

It´s very funny how people can distinct themselves from what is naturally :) - But of course if one only have "gravity" to govern everything, everything else is being excluded and alienated.
No, no idea what this is supposed to mean, especially as a response to what I said.

Atoms and molecules carries energy, so try again, rationcinator :)
Why would I try again? Yes, atoms and molecules carry or have energy. They are not made of energy.

Native

There is direct evidence. We can even draw maps of where dark matter is.
Well draw us some maps then.
Dark energy is more elusive but both are basically place-holder names for phenomena we cannot yet fully explain.
Dark energy is complete nonsense having exponental increasing velocities just by increasing distances. How can distances create velocities at all? They´re just two scientific terms.

Last edited:

ratiocinator

Well draw us some maps then.
It's not something to try at home....

Dark energy is complete nonsense having exponental increasing velocities just by increasing distances. How can distances create velosities at all? They´re just two scientific terms.
The observation is that the expansion of the universe is accelerating with time.