• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remember when Obama...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is it that those who so often support never-ending wars that may kill thousands of even our own troops are so reluctant to have the government encourage good eating habits for our children?

I don't know, but I remember reading a while back that the military is concerned about the problem with youth obesity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The federal government simply is not controlling public school menus, as there's no law that forces a school district to do so Here: National School Lunch Program - Food Research & Action Center
This is where the fed does a reach around....wait....wrong metaphor....does an end run around the Constitution. The fed subverts the 10th Amendment by taking money from us, & then doling it out with strings attached. The strings are the control which exceeds their authority.
In the private sector, if one does something technically legal (by the letter of the law), but which subverts the law, the courts see thru that, & won't allow it. For Michiganders, an example is Smolen v Dahlman.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't know, but I remember reading a while back that the military is concerned about the problem with youth obesity.
You're wrecking a perfectly good straw man!
Have you no shame?

No one. It is the parents responsibility
You're so old fashioned.
"It takes a village" has become "It takes Uncle Sam".

Here's an idea with some merit (despite its ignant ferrin origins)....
National Bedtime Proposed - published by Jythier Smith on day 1,089 - page 1 of 1

esmith

Veteran Member
Why is it that those who so often support never-ending wars that may kill thousands of even our own troops are so reluctant to have the government encourage good eating habits for our children?
Encourage yes, require no.

esmith

Veteran Member
Even at the state level, I see absolutely nothing wrong with schools serving healthy foods.
Depends on your concept of "healthy" foods.
From what I understand there are children that their only "full" meal is the one they receive at school. Therefor, if what is provided is something they will not eat then the food and the money is wasted and the kids still go hungry. Are you willing to say something along the lines of: "if they are hungry enough then they will eat it"?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
How many times does it take for some to get the simple fact that the food program was optional for the districts? And why are some putting money ahead of our own children by blindly accepting some concept put forth that it's the "conservative" or "libertarian" thing to do, whereas "the cause" is more important than our children's health.

The fed uses "earmarked funds" to help in a variety of areas, so the concept is about as old as the hills. When Katrina hit, did we bicker about our money here in the north being sent south to help the victims? Maybe some did, but I wouldn't think much of them if they did.

And why is it that those who may deduct business expenses or collect on some VA support but not support fed programs to help our kids?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I think you might have made a mistake. Where does it say that "Obama's DOJ had reporters and their families threatened. For doing their jobs."

Can you quote where that is stated? I didn't see it anywhere in any of the articles your provided. Or, did you just make that part up?

Wirey

Fartist
Yeah, some people screw up by having kids.

Nice duck. If the parents of a child are incapable of taking care of feeding it properly, are you saying that the government has zero responsibility and should allow the child to die? That it's the child's fault for being poor?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Depends on your concept of "healthy" foods.
Things that are fresh, nutritional, and free of the junk and chemicals and fillers that aren't good or usable by the body. It's not a hard question. Or, I suppose a "balanced meal" would be the more appropriate term, as even the occasional treat isn't going to hurt you. But processed, chemical, nutritionally void junk just is not the way to go or even suggest or indicate we care about our nation's children.

esmith

Veteran Member
Nice duck. If the parents of a child are incapable of taking care of feeding it properly, are you saying that the government has zero responsibility and should allow the child to die? That it's the child's fault for being poor?
No, as much as I disagree with some of the actions of Child Services it is their charter to insure that children are protected. Therefore in a case of a starving child, Child Services should be notified.

esmith

Veteran Member
Things that are fresh, nutritional, and free of the junk and chemicals and fillers that aren't good or usable by the body. It's not a hard question. Or, I suppose a "balanced meal" would be the more appropriate term, as even the occasional treat isn't going to hurt you. But processed, chemical, nutritionally void junk just is not the way to go or even suggest or indicate we care about our nation's children.
is pizza, french fries, hamburgers, hot dogs, macaroni and cheese bad?

Wirey

Fartist
No, as much as I disagree with some of the actions of Child Services it is their charter to insure that children are protected. Therefore in a case of a starving child, Child Services should be notified.

But they ain't. So, is feeding a kid at school still evil, or is it just that you don't like poor people?

esmith

Veteran Member
But they ain't. So, is feeding a kid at school still evil, or is it just that you don't like poor people?
Well, I am sure glad you know who I do or do not like and poor people aren't one of them.
Maybe in your part of the world things were different. I don't know how old you are or where you grew up but I was born in 1942. None of the grade schools I went to provided meals, the high school had a cafeteria but you had to pay for your meals. No children starved, then again things were different back then. We didn't rely on the government to look after us, the community churches were the bedrock of our communities. If there was a struggling family, there were always people there to assist with whatever they could. Maybe that's what we need now, people looking after people vice the government. Of course that couldn't happen now because of all the liberals thinking that only the government can provide. Of course you will say that it only works in small communities, and I say bullcrap, all it takes is people willing to help others vice "let the government" do it.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Well, I am sure glad you know who I do or do not like and poor people aren't one of them.
Maybe in your part of the world things were different. I don't know how old you are or where you grew up but I was born in 1942. None of the grade schools I went to provided meals, the high school had a cafeteria but you had to pay for your meals. No children starved, then again things were different back then. We didn't rely on the government to look after us, the community churches were the bedrock of our communities. If there was a struggling family, there were always people there to assist with whatever they could. Maybe that's what we need now, people looking after people vice the government. Of course that couldn't happen now because of all the liberals thinking that only the government can provide. Of course you will say that it only works in small communities, and I say bullcrap, all it takes is people willing to help others vice "let the government" do it.
The government is people looking after people. The government is made up of people and funded by our tax dollars. What's the difference between a large religious charity and the charity provided by the government? Not really trying to argue, just trying to provide a different perspective on the work of government.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Sometimes, the schools are left with little choice. They didn't use to have breakfast programs at school, but now they do, since so many kids were being sent to school without breakfast - along with no lunch or no lunch money. And I remember when they used to let us go home for lunch, but nowadays, they have closed campuses.

I would agree that it's the parents' responsibility to feed their children balanced meals and nutritious food, but if they abrogate that responsibility, what can be done? I suppose they can be declared unfit parents, but that would require more government intervention.