• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Return of Christ

InChrist

Free4ever
I think it is becoming clear that God's kingdom is coming to earth soon and many of the biblical signs for the return of Jesus Christ to are in place and others are rapidly continuing to occur. Does anyone else sense the nearness of His return?

For He is coming, for He is coming to judge the earth. He shall judge the world with righteousness, And the peoples with His truth. Psalm 96:13

lBirth Pangs - ABC's of Prophecy

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
In Matthew chapter 24, the greek word used is not 'coming' but 'presence'

"What will be the sign of your 'parousia' "

The scripture uses the greek word for 'presence'. So the answer to the disciples question should be understood to mean that when they see the signs occuring, it would signify that Jesus was already 'present' in kingdom power.

The time has already come and Jesus is already judging.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I think it is becoming clear that God's kingdom is coming to earth soon and many of the biblical signs for the return of Jesus Christ to are in place and others are rapidly continuing to occur. Does anyone else sense the nearness of His return?

Soon, as in...?
One thousand years?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How will Christ's return be different than his presence with his faithful disciples all these years?

19 Therefore disciples the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I used to study Bible/Christian end times prophecy stuff a lot when I was younger, Hagee books were well done to seem convincing, frightening, etc. After a while I felt it's not really about a future prophecy but spiritual allegory and symbolism...as well as stuff dealing with the times back then in the first century, maybe super early second century.

Will watch The Seventh Sign for good ole' times :D

One thing I think about this stuff is if you study it a good deal and believe it's true, and/or believe your God gives you personal revelation that it is...that is all well and good but I really despise the fear and panic tactics to bring more people to church/Christianity or any other religious tradition. There has been and still is way too much "end is here/near, better hurry up and get saved!"

I think it is much better to be so full of love, life, awesomeness that others want some of what you got...you infect them and it carries over and over again. I can't imagine fire and judgment warnings being more effective. You might get heartless and spiritless compliance but not glowing, radiant "sons of God" making the universe a better place.

TheScholar

Scholar
Jesus will come like a thief in the night. That is my belief.

People have been looking for signs for years. They have talked about unrest in the Middle East, Obama, the Pope, etc. and looking at those to say Jesus will soon return and these are signs.

Since WW2 the World has been a lot more peaceful then it was before until the last decade. The world as a whole has been in a lot worse positions throughout history, it's just that we are to young to compare them to the pre-WW2 times using our experience and history.

People thinking the President is the anti-christ is nothing new.
People thinking the Pope is the anti-Christ is nothing new.
The Middle East has been controlled by Waring Factions since before Jesus. It has been a hot bed of chaos since ancient times.
Problem in Europe as a whole has been going on since the Roman Empire.

We are in a peaceful part of history when you compare it to the past.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
In Matthew chapter 24, the greek word used is not 'coming' but 'presence'

"What will be the sign of your 'parousia' "

The scripture uses the greek word for 'presence'. So the answer to the disciples question should be understood to mean that when they see the signs occuring, it would signify that Jesus was already 'present' in kingdom power.

The time has already come and Jesus is already judging.

I don't think so. There are instances I'm sure where God is judging individuals and even nations, but I don't believe full scale judgment has taken place upon the nations of the earth yet, as spoken of in Revelation and elsewhere, nor is Jesus literally ruling the earth from Jerusalem.

And while I believe Christ is always "present" in the hearts of believers and because the scriptures reveal Him as God, they also reveal His literal and visible return to earth that all will see.

I saw in the night-visions, and, behold, there came with the clouds of the sky one like a son of man, and he came even to the ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. There was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all the peoples, nations, and languages should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed. Daniel 7:13-14

When he had said these things, as they were looking, he was taken up, and a cloud received him out of their sight. While they were looking steadfastly into the sky as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white clothing, who also said, “You men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who was received up from you into the sky will come back in the same way as you saw him going into the sky.” Acts 1:9-11

Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, including those who pierced him. All the tribes of the earth will mourn over him. Even so, Amen. Rev 1:7

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

People have been looking for signs for years. They have talked about unrest in the Middle East, Obama, the Pope, etc. and looking at those to say Jesus will soon return and these are signs.

Since WW2 the World has been a lot more peaceful then it was before until the last decade. The world as a whole has been in a lot worse positions throughout history, it's just that we are to young to compare them to the pre-WW2 times using our experience and history.

The Middle East has been controlled by Waring Factions since before Jesus. It has been a hot bed of chaos since ancient times.

Well said.

According to Church teachings, the Church will have to undergo a final and terrible persecution before Christ returns. We're certainly not at that point. The only way I see that happening is if Muslim extremists take over a big part of the globe, ban Christianity and start martyring Christians en masse. However, I'm sad to say that this already seems to be starting to happen in the Middle East where Christians are persecuted and being driven out.

InChrist

Free4ever
Oh well. Stood up or perhaps Jesus had a flat tire on the way here and is waiting on the atrocious road service to show up.

...knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? 2 Peter 3:3-4

InChrist

Free4ever
How will Christ's return be different than his presence with his faithful disciples all these years?

19 Therefore disciples the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

The difference is that He will be visible to all.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
...knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? 2 Peter 3:3-4

I think you use that scripture wrong. Jesus came to find what was lost. Israel had veered away from YHVH. He put many back on the road to life. NOW many again have veered away from YHVH. The ones who veered (and still believe) are being called rididulers at 2 Peter 3:3,4. Who are they ridiculing? They are ridiculing Jesus Christ? HOW? They are teaching lies about him.

InChrist

Free4ever
I used to study Bible/Christian end times prophecy stuff a lot when I was younger, Hagee books were well done to seem convincing, frightening, etc. After a while I felt it's not really about a future prophecy but spiritual allegory and symbolism...as well as stuff dealing with the times back then in the first century, maybe super early second century.

Will watch The Seventh Sign for good ole' times :D

One thing I think about this stuff is if you study it a good deal and believe it's true, and/or believe your God gives you personal revelation that it is...that is all well and good but I really despise the fear and panic tactics to bring more people to church/Christianity or any other religious tradition. There has been and still is way too much "end is here/near, better hurry up and get saved!"

I think it is much better to be so full of love, life, awesomeness that others want some of what you got...you infect them and it carries over and over again. I can't imagine fire and judgment warnings being more effective. You might get heartless and spiritless compliance but not glowing, radiant "sons of God" making the universe a better place.

I don't think it is about fear or panic, allegory or symbolism, just having an awareness of reality and the culmination of History as revealed by the Creator and making appropriate choices.

InChrist

Free4ever

I believe we are in the age of Grace or also known as the church age, but there are indications that age is coming to a close.

InChrist

Free4ever
I think you use that scripture wrong. Jesus came to find what was lost. Israel had veered away from YHVH. He put many back on the road to life. NOW many again have veered away from YHVH. The ones who veered (and still believe) are being called rididulers at 2 Peter 3:3,4. Who are they ridiculing? They are ridiculing Jesus Christ? HOW? They are teaching lies about him.

I appreciate you sharing your view and I do not disagree with your view of what Jesus did or ridicule He ridicule He received, but I think because Peter is speaking after the death of Christ since the verse says...scoffers will come in the last days and “Where is the promise of His coming? It is referring to the future and the event or His again to the earth.

Along with that the context a few verses further is to the day of the Lord which is a future event:

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. 2 Peter 3:10

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The difference is that He will be visible to all.

he was speaking to his apostles in that verse.... and i dont think 'i will be with you always' means 'everyone will see me'

Why do you think he says he comes 'as a thief'?

Do thieves usually come out visibly to everyone? Or do you think they come and go without anyone actually seeing them?