• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russia's real aim in attacking Ukraine

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In other words, Russia started the war as a way to attack the US indirectly. If Finland and Sweden join NATO, Russia will have lost no matter the Ukraine result.

Russian foreign minister says Russia's war with Ukraine is 'meant to put an end' to US world domination, NATO expansion

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday that Russia's unprovoked war with Ukraine is "meant to put an end" to US-led global domination and the expansion of NATO, according to a report.

"Our special military operation is meant to put an end to the unabashed expansion [of NATO] and the unabashed drive towards full domination by the US and its Western subjects on the world stage," Lavrov told the state-owned television news channel Rossiya 24, according to a translation from Russian state-run media outlet RT.

Additionally, Lavrov accused the United States of international law violations due to what he said were America's attempts to impose its own "rules-based international order," according to the report.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In other words, Russia started the war as a way to attack the US indirectly. If Finland and Sweden join NATO, Russia will have lost no matter the Ukraine result.
I have heard some other theories, too. One theory is that Russia wishes to control all of the paths into Russia that have historically been used to invade. There are nine mentioned in this theory, and two of them are in Ukraine. Another theory focuses upon the things Putin has written and said about how he feels the dissolution of the USSR to be the greatest tragedy of all time. Other theories are that he is beginning to have more trouble than usual hiding the failures of his administration. People don't have healthcare, and over 1/4 of Russians have a from of tuburculosis that is difficult to treat. To maintain Russia's staggering military budget Putin's people cut back on education since the early 2000's, and so Russia lacks a lot of young educated people needed to fill various trades. Another theory is that because Russia's population is shrinking this is the last chance to have a draft. There are other theories, too.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday that Russia's unprovoked war with Ukraine is "meant to put an end" to US-led global domination and the expansion of NATO, according to a report.
Or Putin simply wants Ukraine for Russia (& himself).
Lavrov isn't credible, given that he calls the invasion
a "special military operation".

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Or they are redefining their goals on the fly to cover their initial failure to conquer Ukraine and install a puppet regime.

Have to spin it as some 4d chess rather than a failure...
Agreed. Not like peacetime news and politics is consistent from moment to moment. Why would wartime news and politics be?

stanberger

Russian foreign minister says Russia's war with Ukraine is 'meant to put an end' to US world domination, NATO expansion

"Our special military operation is meant to put an end to the unabashed expansion [of NATO] and the unabashed drive towards full domination by the US and its Western subjects on the world stage," Lavrov told the state-owned television news channel Rossiya 24, according to a translation from Russian state-run media outlet RT.

Additionally, Lavrov accused the United States of international law violations due to what he said were America's attempts to impose its own "rules-based international order," according to the report.
russia had a deal in place. for their help in keeping asad of syria in power they wanted to invade Ukraine and have u s /nato stand down thatwas the cost ...russia inserted isis [chechnyans prisoners] and gave them the black flag and released them from Russian prisons

We Never Know

No Slack

Well we "the USA" think we can and do police the world. We have roughly 750 US foreign military bases that are spread across 80 nations

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think a solution would be that US and Russia become political and military allies.

I do not understand why there is still diffidence towards Russia.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Another theory is that because Russia's population is shrinking this is the last chance to have a draft. .

Most likely, it is the truth, not a theory.
The demographic collapse is really a bad thing for Russia, so....by getting a big portion of the Ukrainian population into the Russian Federation, things can be fixed.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have heard some other theories, too. One theory is that Russia wishes to control all of the paths into Russia that have historically been used to invade. There are nine mentioned in this theory, and two of them are in Ukraine. Another theory focuses upon the things Putin has written and said about how he feels the dissolution of the USSR to be the greatest tragedy of all time. Other theories are that he is beginning to have more trouble than usual hiding the failures of his administration. People don't have healthcare, and over 1/4 of Russians have a from of tuburculosis that is difficult to treat. To maintain Russia's staggering military budget Putin's people cut back on education since the early 2000's, and so Russia lacks a lot of young educated people needed to fill various trades. Another theory is that because Russia's population is shrinking this is the last chance to have a draft. There are other theories, too.
My own hypothesis is that Putin simply lost his marbles. He is suffering from dictator misinformation syndrome (i.e. people tell him what he wants to hear so he no longer has a grasp on reality) and/or he has dementia and/or another terminal illness that, if he wants to make a name for himself, forces him to act now.
Putin used to be very smart and well informed. He clearly isn't now.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My own hypothesis is that Putin simply lost his marbles. He is suffering from dictator misinformation syndrome (i.e. people tell him what he wants to hear so he no longer has a grasp on reality) and/or he has dementia and/or another terminal illness that, if he wants to make a name for himself, forces him to act now.
Putin used to be very smart and well informed. He clearly isn't now.

I have a good level of Russian and I watch Russian media all the time.
Putin is not a dictator. He just refers what he and his duma want. He is supported by so many republics, oblasts, regions, territories of the Russian Federation.
Putin is what Russians want.
If he dies, the Russians will elect another Putin, maybe Putiner than the first.

So I guess... it is Russians, the majority of Russians who have a certain stance, and there is a very assertive army that really believes in this military mission.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think a solution would be that US and Russia become political and military allies.

I do not understand why there is still diffidence towards Russia.

That was happening slowly from what I read from retired US Military people when Putin started steering Russia into a confrontation and, among other things, imprisoning his opponents or poisoning them. Get rid of Putin and the forces that support him and we can start building a relationship. Until then, we need to oppose his lower and evil actions.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
That was happening slowly from what I read from retired US Military people when Putin started steering Russia into a confrontation and, among other things, imprisoning his opponents or poisoning them. Get rid of Putin and the forces that support him and we can start building a relationship. Until then, we need to oppose his lower and evil actions.

I consider all these conspiracy theories.
Unsubstantiated claims .

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have a good level of Russian and I watch Russian media all the time.
Putin is not a dictator.
You don't need to be a dictator to suffer from dictator misinformation syndrome.
Maybe all of Russia is suffering from dictator misinformation syndrome. It is a logical result of silencing true informations and loyal opposition.
Would Putin/Russia have started the war if they had known that the Ukrainians would fight back as hard as they did? Would they have started the war if they had known what sanctions they had to face? They could have with realistic informations but it seems they didn't have those - or they didn't listen to them.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You don't need to be a dictator to suffer from dictator misinformation syndrome.
Maybe all of Russia is suffering from dictator misinformation syndrome. It is a logical result of silencing true informations and loyal opposition.
Would Putin/Russia have started the war if they had known that the Ukrainians would fight back as hard as they did? Would they have started the war if they had known what sanctions they had to face? They could have with realistic informations but it seems they didn't have those - or they didn't listen to them.

A question: why should we Europeans suffer the economic consequences of a war that has nothing to do with us?
Not to mention all the money spent on supporting and welcoming Ukrainian refugees, which means more costs for the EU budget, EU net contributors and the EU countries' national budgets.

Nobody in Europe wants this war. I want this war to end right now. Immediately. Today, April 12.

Is the EU aware that its first task is to protect European citizens?
Because this will unleash people's rage against all those politicians who do want this war to continue.

So the lounge-loving and aristocratic élites who push for WW3, are really committing a political suicide. Because the people will consider them responsible for all the social and economic consequences that this war will bring to Europe.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
That's not a question, that's a red herring.
Absolutely relevant.
Because maybe it is time for the NATO to change radically. To stop being a warmongering organization.
Because it is not compatible with Europe's wishes any more, since no European likes and supports wars.
So...Lavrov has a point.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I presume the thread title is intended ironically. If Lavrov states what the "real" aim is, you can be 100% certain it is untrue, but serves instead some cynical public relations purpose or other.

In this case, the object seems to be to unite the Russian people behind this paranoid fantasy they have been pushing of a Neonazi takeover in Ukraine and imagined threats to Mother Russia. They are ramping up the rhetoric now, to prepare the people to face the thousands of body bags coming home and the poverty into which the people are plunging as the Russian economy tanks.