• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russia's real aim in attacking Ukraine

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It appears like the majority of Russians do approve of the invasion, but I am not sure I would call it “overwhelming”.

But they have been lied to, information has been strictly controlled. It is not fair to condemn the general populace.

Russians are very americanized. They watch American media and European media 24/7.

They have been watching anti-Russian narrative. Not anti-Putin. Anti-Russian narrative, in those media.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It appears like the majority of Russians do approve of the invasion, but I am not sure I would call it “overwhelming”.
Poll: 86% of Russians support Ukraine invasion; 75% say Poland should be next
Excerpted....
Over 85 percent of Russians support expanding the Ukrainian invasion to other countries, with 75 percent asserting Russia’s next target should be Poland, a new poll shared on Twitter by the Centre for Strategic Communications and Information Security under the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine shows.

Conducted by Active Group, the survey found that 86.6 percent of Russians “tolerate and support the potential assault on the territory of the European Union, including Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and others.”
But they have been lied to, information has been strictly controlled. It is not fair to condemn the general populace.
I agree.
Their (some) forgivable motivation notwithstanding,
I side against them. Their agenda is truly evil.
They need to understand a strong message that
conquering more countries will have very high costs.'
Many Russians will & should die if they try.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Russians are very americanized. They watch American media and European media 24/7.

They have been watching anti-Russian narrative. Not anti-Putin. Anti-Russian narrative, in those media.
They've also been consuming anti-USA narrative,
especially so after the invasion of Ukraine. Try to
blame USA all you want....it's not so simple.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
They've also been consuming anti-USA narrative,
especially so after the invasion of Ukraine. Try to
blame USA all you want....it's not so simple.
It is cultural.;)
It is identical to my country or Hungary, blaming Soros and others elites for anything.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It is cultural.;)
It is identical to my country or Hungary, blaming Soros and others elites for anything.
Strange food, silly dances, stupid hats, those things are cultural.

But don’t tell me that mass murder, ethnic cleansing, or genocide are cultural.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Given the atrocities and war crimes that russian soldiers have committed including raping a baby in one case, the attacks on russia have been well-earned and totally justified.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My own hypothesis is that Putin simply lost his marbles. He is suffering from dictator misinformation syndrome (i.e. people tell him what he wants to hear so he no longer has a grasp on reality) and/or he has dementia and/or another terminal illness that, if he wants to make a name for himself, forces him to act now.
Putin used to be very smart and well informed. He clearly isn't now.
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The Russian people overwhelmingly approve of
the invasion of Ukraine. So I side against them.

Do you have a reliable, politically independent source for that claim (e.g., the Associated Press or Reuters)?

We've discussed this before along with the difficulty of measuring public opinion on government policies in a dictatorship like Russia. I think we ought to be careful not to generalize about Russians for something they can't control and may not approve of.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I side with the people. Not with the leaders.
So I side with the American people, the Russian people, the German people.

Do you also side with the Ukrainian people, whose lives have been heavily disrupted or even ended by the Russian invasion?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you have a reliable, politically independent source for that claim (e.g., the Associated Press or Reuters)?
I cited one (in a later post) that I thought cromulent.
We've discussed this before along with the difficulty of measuring public opinion on government policies in a dictatorship like Russia. I think we ought to be careful not to generalize about Russians for something they can't control and may not approve of.
I note that many Russians oppose the invasion.
I side with them. If the proportions of pro vs anti
war change, then I go with that flow.

InChrist

Free4ever
In other words, Russia started the war as a way to attack the US indirectly. If Finland and Sweden join NATO, Russia will have lost no matter the Ukraine result.

Russian foreign minister says Russia's war with Ukraine is 'meant to put an end' to US world domination, NATO expansion

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday that Russia's unprovoked war with Ukraine is "meant to put an end" to US-led global domination and the expansion of NATO, according to a report.

"Our special military operation is meant to put an end to the unabashed expansion [of NATO] and the unabashed drive towards full domination by the US and its Western subjects on the world stage," Lavrov told the state-owned television news channel Rossiya 24, according to a translation from Russian state-run media outlet RT.

Additionally, Lavrov accused the United States of international law violations due to what he said were America's attempts to impose its own "rules-based international order," according to the report.
I certainly see this conflict as actually being between the US and Russia. Ukraine is being used as a pawn while sadly the people’s lives there are devastated.
Ukraine On Fire

JIMMY12345

In other words, Russia started the war as a way to attack the US indirectly. If Finland and Sweden join NATO, Russia will have lost no matter the Ukraine result.

Russian foreign minister says Russia's war with Ukraine is 'meant to put an end' to US world domination, NATO expansion

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday that Russia's unprovoked war with Ukraine is "meant to put an end" to US-led global domination and the expansion of NATO, according to a report.

"Our special military operation is meant to put an end to the unabashed expansion [of NATO] and the unabashed drive towards full domination by the US and its Western subjects on the world stage," Lavrov told the state-owned television news channel Rossiya 24, according to a translation from Russian state-run media outlet RT.

Additionally, Lavrov accused the United States of international law violations due to what he said were America's attempts to impose its own "rules-based international order," according to the report.
Partly maybe. Also in part Russia desperately needs external ports for its ships and submarines. The oil revenue is falling. As always it is partly the economy.
If you lie to the electorate and portray illegal war on a sovereign country as a minor passing skirmish. You do not harm your electoral chances. Also bear in mind a lot of tentacles surround Putin - no one not even Putin is allowed to walk away.