• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sabbath or Sunday?

Elkineelkine

After 6 days of creation, God has rested in the 7th day, and established the rest in that day for humans, as monument of creation. “By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.”(Genesis 2:2,3)

God have rested in Sabbath, not because He needed to rest. It is not inherent to God to overstrain and to be exhausted. “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.”(Isaiah 40:28)

The verb to rest, means to stop the matters for some time. God has acted like this because He wanted to give the humans an opportunity to have rest. God has blessed the Sabbath and that day became a day of Gods goodwill and the source of blessings.

When God blessed the Sabbath, He made it Holy, and separated, for the humans could enrich through the contact with God.

Besides the fact that God has made the 7th day as a special day from the creation, He also putted it in command in the Ten Commandments, which had given in the Sinai Mountain. That command is the forth in the Ten Commandments and it sounds: “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.”(Exodus 20:8-11)

All of the Ten Commandments are obligated and we can’t disregard even the one of them. “For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.”(James 2:10)

But God, had foreseen the will of the satan to distort the commandment about the Sabbath, so He had warned the humans not to forget its importance.

Keeping the Sabbath as the monument of the creation makes it an antidote for idolatry. That day reminds us that only the real God had created the sky and the earth, contradicting Him to the false gods.

God has called the Sabbath: “Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the LORD made them holy.”(Ezekiel 20:12)

Jesus Christ, when He made His service on the earth, gave us an example of keeping the Sabbath. By His life He has shown us how the Lord wants from us to keep that command. In Luke we can see: “He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom…”(Luke 4:16)

His participation in Sabbaths divine service proved that He had counted the Sabbath a day of special worship.

His disciples have also related to the Sabbath as the day with a special respect. Even when Jesus died, they had stopped all the preparation in the burial of the body, and remained in peace until the first day of the week. “Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. But they rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment.”(Luke 23:56), “On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. “(Luke 24:1)

Undoubtedly, the Sabbath had played the most important role in worshiping God as a Creator and the Redeemer, and that’s why that command became the first target of the satan. With his will to humiliate God as a creator, he started very good planned war against God and his followers, to destroy that holy statement.

His plan was not in destroying Gods commands, but he decided to tricky distort that commands, so that he’ll redirect the humans to violate at least one of the divine commands. Which in the end will become his base of accusing the humans in inappropriate observance of the laws of God.

Nowhere in the bible we can see, that the command of keeping the 7th day as a worship day to the Lord, has changed. That command was given in the paradise, and continued in the Sinai Mountain, and continues to remain even in our days. The holy bible insists on the holy keeping of the seventh day.

In your opinion, what is the real worship day, the sabbath or the sunday?

Scott1

Ummm... am I missing something?

The "first day of the week" in Luke 24:1 is SUNDAY... the Sabbath.

... also good to remember that Christians were celebrating a Sunday Sabbath BEFORE Luke was even written. Kinda hard to interpret the Scriptures and ignore the historical reality.

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
Col 2:16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

(After reading this in the Anglican tradition we say, the Word of the Lord! ;) )

Scott1

sunday sabbath? what is that? how can you combine those two?
I didn't... Paul and the early Christians did.

Do you think they were wrong?

Sunday was most important day in the life of the Church... Acts 20:7 - this text shows the apostolic tradition of gathering together to celebrate the Eucharist on Sunday, the "first day of the week." Luke documents the principle worship was on Sunday because this was one of the departures from the Jewish form of worship. 1 Cor. 16:2 - Paul instructs the Corinthians to make contributions to the churches "on the first day of the week," which is Sunday.

Not sure why you believe the Apostles and the early church got it wrong.... :confused:

InChrist

Free4ever
In your opinion, what is the real worship day, the sabbath or the sunday?

"The keeping of the law and this day is made clear it was unique to Israel. Deut. 4:8”And what great nation is there that has such statutes and righteous judgments as are in all this law which I set.” Because of the Exodus they are to keep the Sabbath Deut. 5:15, “And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.”
Israel was never commanded to teach the gentiles to obey this day (unless they converted) it was a sign for Israel’s separateness unto the Lord. The Sabbath was a sign of the Mosaic covenant just as circumcision was of the Abrahamic. Since it was Israel the nation that was set apart at Mt. Sinai , they were the ones delivered from slavery that needed the rest. This token of the Mosaic covenant could only be for them. The Church was never delivered from Egypt nor present at Sinai when the law was given Israel the nation was. The Sabbath was given to a theocracy as nation ruled by God, not to the world. There is No command to keep the Sabbath in the entire New Testament! While we may see at times apostles gathering in the temple it was by choice not command. So if the church today worships on Sunday it is not a violation of any command."

excerpt from:

THE ISSUE OF THE SABBATH
The Issue of the sabbath

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
European calendars start each week with Monday and end each week on Sunday. So I guess in Europe, the 7th day of the week is Sunday?

I can't see how this matters - one day of rest and worship out of seven. Seems logical to me. In other words, spend at least one day out of seven focusing on worship and enjoying the blessings that God has given us.

Scott1

I can't see how this matters - one day of rest and worship out of seven. Seems logical to me. In other words, spend at least one day out of seven focusing on worship and enjoying the blessings that God has given us.
I agree... but since this is the DIR, I'm just curious as to what the writer of the OP believes.

Elkineelkine

And what about the creation when neither the commandments were given and neither the israel nation were slaved in egypt, and God has rested in seventh day?
And what about the text:"...and on the Sabbath day he(Jesus) went into the synagogue, as was his custom…”(Luke 4:16)
We are the followers of Christ, so why do we worship other day?

Scott1

And what about the creation when neither the commandments were given and neither the israel nation were slaved in egypt, and God has rested in seventh day?
And what about the text:"...and on the Sabbath day he(Jesus) went into the synagogue, as was his custom…”(Luke 4:16)
Again, this is not a debate thread, so I was hoping you'd answer some of my questions...

To answer yours, Christians worship on the Lord's Day -- SUNDAY -- because that's what the Apostles taught. I'm still hoping you educate me as to why you believe the Apostles made so great an error In your opinion.

james2ko

I agree. We should worship God everyday (prayer, study, meditation). As a matter of fact, we can attend church, pray and sing songs of worship all day, every day. But if we do, we would be breaking the same Sabbath commandment by not having time to work at a job, running errands, chores, etc) the other six days as He also commands (Ex 20:9).

At the very minimum, God wants us to keep holy or set apart at least one day a week and He was very specific as to which day. He did not leave it to chance or speculation or left it up to us to decide. Holy means set apart for sacred use. We, as human beings, should not change, question, or manipulate any person, place, thing, or space of time God has made holy. Those who did in the past, paid a heavy price. (Lev 10:1, 1 Sam 13:9-13)

In Exodus 3:5 God told Moses to remove his shoes for the place where he stood was holy ground. Moses did not question God. He simply took off his shoes. Moses understood it was God's presence which made the area holy. Similar to the ground around the burning bush, we are commanded, figuratively, to take our shoes off God's holy time--the seventh day (Saturday)--the time that points to Him and has His holy presence in it.

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper
Christ was under ritual law, We are not under said law Paul even contrasts the Old and New covenants laws (1 Cor 5:11) and says our new Law is fulfilled by bearing others burdens (Gal 6:2) James also agrees this is the base for pure religion ( James 1:27)

I do think we should put aside Sunday as a day of celebration, as it's clear the early Church did and it has been persevered by tradition, however we should know the Sabbath is a mere shadow (Col 2:17) of our rest in Christ Jesus

james2ko

1 Cor. 16:2 - Paul instructs the Corinthians to make contributions to the churches "on the first day of the week," which is Sunday.

If you'll allow me Elki. First, the context reveals this has nothing to do with church services, but rather a gathering of produce and other foodstuffs which was to be sent to the church members at Jerusalem who were suffering from a severe food shortage (Rom 15:25-28). Second, it was given at one specific place ("let everyone of you lay by him in store"). This is because Paul would come later (1 Cor. 16:3 – "when I come") to gather what brethren had been saving at home ("lay by him in store"). This was not an offering kept at a church, or given every--or any--Sunday.

Third, this command is specific to the Corinthians (1Co16:1). There is no command for Sunday collections here, but merely instruction to local brethren to store an important offering for poor brethren. Fourth, this letter was received in Corinth during the Days of Unleavened Bread. "First day of the week" should properly be translated "first of weeks" [sabbaths] (plural) --check the Greek.

The collection was almost certainly to happen immediately after the Days of Unleavened Bread, in the first week counting toward Pentecost (Feast of Weeks). Finally, 1 Co 16:4--"and if it be meet that I go also, they shall go with me"--coupled with vs 3 referencing "them," shows that it took several people to transport this large offering to Jerusalem. This would not be necessary if it was simply cash and coins taken up in an offering plate. It would be necessary if much food and drink was involved.

I didn't... Paul and the early Christians did.

Do you think they were wrong? Sunday was most important day in the life of the Church... Acts 20:7 - this text shows the apostolic tradition of gathering together to celebrate the Eucharist on Sunday, the "first day of the week." Luke documents the principle worship was on Sunday because this was one of the departures from the Jewish form of worship. Not sure why you believe the Apostles and the early church got it wrong.... :confused:

On this particular occasion, Paul had conducted services earlier on the Sabbath [Saturday] and continued to instruct and exhort the brethren because he was to depart on his journey the very next day—the daylight portion of Sunday. Remember, the beginning of a day for the Jews was at sunset. So after having met on the daylight portion of Saturday, Paul continued preaching for many hours into "Saturday evening" (which was the beginning of the first day of the week) and on through midnight.

After having miraculously revived a youth, taken up as dead, who had fallen from the loft, as Paul was "long preaching" (vs. 9-10), he actually continued encouraging the brethren until daybreak (vs. 11). He was scheduled to depart and not likely to ever see them again. There is no indication meeting together on the first day of the week had become the custom in the apostolic era.

It is due to this evidence Christian Saturday Sabbath keepers believe these texts have no relevance in the transformation of the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday.

Scott1

Thanks for the input James. I didn't provide those references as proof, only to try and explain my way of thinking... since this is not is a debate area.

And while I appreciate your effort, no exegis can change the fact that the nascent church worshipped on Sunday --- it's historical fact. I (again) am hoping the you or he can explain why they were wrong. Is it those verses you provided?

bribrius

i consider saturday the sabbath. Just my opinion. I believe the jews still use saturday. I figured they would know. Im not very informed over this. Just i think that is the earliest traditions.

i also worship sunday. Perhaps attend church sunday. So observe saturday as the sabbath best i can. Attend church/worship and have family time on sunday.

i dont necessarily equate worshipping or going to chuch with the sabbath.

james2ko

Thanks for the input James. I didn't provide those references as proof, only to try and explain my way of thinking... since this is not is a debate area. And while I appreciate your effort, no exegis can change the fact that the nascent church worshipped on Sunday --- it's historical fact.

That's correct. But the question remains--was it biblically supported and ordained in accordance with Luk 4:4 and Mat 4:4. Although I agree Sunday worship began early in the apostolic era, it does not necessarily mean it was right. Perhaps you can shed some light as to why the Catholic Church took the liberty to change something God nowhere commanded to be changed?

bribrius

That's correct. But the question remains--was it biblically supported and ordained in accordance with Luk 4:4 and Mat 4:4. Although I agree Sunday worship began early in the apostolic era, it does not necessarily mean it was right. Perhaps you can shed some light as to why the Catholic Church took the liberty to change something God nowhere commanded to be changed?
i dont totally remember this but if i recall, there was another holiday of some sort on sunday. The catholic church switched the day to sunday because of this. sort of the all saints day and halloween type thing. I believe there was also a pagan sun god ritual or something on sunday as well.

you would have to look further into it. sorry i cant remember more i havent read up on that in a while.

Scott1

That's correct. But the question remains--was it biblically supported and ordained in accordance with Luk 4:4 and Mat 4:4.
Not sure why it would need to be biblically supported since it began before most of those books were even written.

Although I agree Sunday worship began early in the apostolic era, it does not necessarily mean it was right. Perhaps you can shed some light as to why the Catholic Church took the liberty to change something God nowhere commanded to be changed?
I'd be happy to.... please start another thread in a debate forum if you want to discuss it further.