• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saddam is gone!

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I can't say I feel sorry for Saddam but am against capital punishment. I am worried for the reprisals however.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Guitar's Cry said:
...I cannot find joy in capital punishment.
I don't think anyone really finds 'joy' in it, but in some circumstances, it is deemed to be the most appropriate method of justice.

My support for the death penalty has wavered quite a bit, but in this case I think keeping him alive would have caused much more problems for the new Iraqi government.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I too voice disapproval towards the death penalty.

Saddam has been a footnote for most of this war, anyway. My concern has been with Osama since 9/11.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Oh, I can feel sorry for Saddam just as I can for Hitler.

One wonders how they might've turned out if they'd been raised kindly in childhood, instead of having the snot beat out of them on a regular basis?

And how much human suffering could be avoided if we could find a way to eliminate such abuse of children, so such monsters are not created in the first place?

As for capital punishment, I can't see much justification for it in these days, and am truly embarrassed that my country ranks right down there with the most oppressive gov'ts in the world, who are the others who practice it.

I am not soft when it comes to justice. I just don't see what role retribution has to play in justice.

Booko

Deviled Hen
beckysoup61 said:
They hung him? Already, I thought they were going to wait.

It wouldn't matter how long they waited.

Much of the world will never regard that legal proceeding as having any legitamacy.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Booko said:
I am not soft when it comes to justice. I just don't see what role retribution has to play in justice.
Well, gathering from what I'm seeing on TV right now, there are plenty of Iraqis in the US and Iraq who are very happy right now.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Gentoo said:
It was taped?

I miss so much without cable.....
I don't know how much they'll show on TV....not that I want to see it. But, I'm thinking it will be on the internet real soon. :(

GoldenDragon

wow I have to say that happened abit faster then I thought it would.
Even though he did do so many wrong deeds I feel a bit sorry for Saddam I can't imagine what it feels like to be hated by pretty much everyone in the world and then people cheer when you are dead.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
GoldenDragon said:
wow I have to say that happened abit faster then I thought it would.
Even though he did do so many wrong deeds I feel a bit sorry for Saddam I can't imagine what it feels like to be hated by pretty much everyone in the world and then people cheer when you are dead.
You should be feeling more sorry for the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people he tortured and killed. Watch the news tonight...it will remind you. :)

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I am disgusted by people rejoicing in any death, and no matter what someone will say to justify killing, I will forever view capital punishment as one of mankind's biggest abominations -- right next to war.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I can't say that I approve of capital punishment, but I also can't say that I disaprove either... I'm an unhappy fence-sitter in this case.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Buttercup said:
Well, gathering from what I'm seeing on TV right now, there are plenty of Iraqis in the US and Iraq who are very happy right now.

Considering what so many of them went through, I'm sure they'd be delighted he will be unable to hurt anyone again, ever.

You shouldn't get the idea that I'm exactly unhappy he's dead, or that I think capital punishment is somehow inherently unjust.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Buttercup said:
You should be feeling more sorry for the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people he tortured and killed. Watch the news tonight...it will remind you. :)

I'd have rather seen his uncle hung before he could ever create such a monster, but no one had that option.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Booko said:
You shouldn't get the idea that I'm exactly unhappy he's dead, or that I think capital punishment is somehow inherently unjust.
I am a wishy washy fence sitter on the death penalty. But sometimes in cases such as this...I can't feel bad it has happened. The man was incredibly sadistic and twisted. Of course, he now thinks of himself as a martyr. :rolleyes: