• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same crime, same punishment

We Never Know

No Slack
IMO punishments shouldn't vary so widely.
Example..
1. Joe gets busted with some pot. $300 fine
2. Bob gets busted with the same amount of pot, 3 years DOC

If the crimes are the same, IMO the sentence should be the same too.

Thoughts?

Edit.... BOTH are first time offenders.

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
IMO punishments shouldn't vary so widely.
Example..
1. Joe gets busted with some pot. $300 fine
2. Bob gets busted with the same amount of pot, 3 years DOC

If the crimes are the same, IMO the sentence should be the same too.

Thoughts?

This usually depends on criminal history, e.g. if the person is on probation or parole already.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In the United States there is this thing which is called juridical doublestandardism.

That is a judge is allowed to apply different penalties to two identical situations, that is, two perfectly identical penally relevant situations.

To be more specific: a woman steals a packet of cigarettes. She gets three days of jail.
The same day, a man steals the same packet of cigarettes. The same judge is allowed to give him one year of jail, as sentence.

In my country, a judge cannot do that. If they do, they are suspended after five seconds. In the most serious cases, they are dismissed.
Because in every courtroom in my country there is a big inscription.
Instead of In God we Trust, it is written The Law is equal for all.
Which means: you cannot apply two standards to the same situation. There is just One.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
This usually depends on criminal history, e.g. if the person is on probation or parole already.

It has nothing to do with relapse, recidivism or probation.
There is a complete disproportion between a fine and three years of jail.
It's the American judges that are allowed to apply penalties at random.

It's absolutely unacceptable, in my humble opinion. :)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No, no they are not.

Of course they are.
I have read about a woman in Georgia who was condemned to 20 years of jail just for telling racist things to a black family.

Chauvin was condemned to 22 years of prison.

There is complete disproportion, because saying something racist is not the same thing as killing an innocent person.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course they are.
I have read about a woman in Georgia who was condemned to 20 years of jail just for telling racist things to a black family.

I will bet there is more to that story. Got a link?

Judges cannot just randomly assign whatever sentences they feel like. Sometimes there is explicit law they must follow in terms of minimum or maximum sentences. Other times there are less specific guidelines, and/or they use precedent to determine how similar charges have been sentenced in the past.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I will bet there is more to that story. Got a link?

Judges cannot just randomly assign whatever sentences they feel like. Sometimes there is explicit law they must follow in terms of minimum or maximum sentences. Other times there are less specific guidelines, and/or they use precedent to determine how similar charges have been sentenced in the past.
They do.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Ah. So as I said, way more to that story than just "saying racist things." :

"The drivers parked the trucks near the house, prosecutors said. Torres was part of a smaller group that “threatened to kill the party goers while repeatedly using derogatory racial slurs against them,” said the statement.

“Torres, who had retrieved a shotgun from his vehicle, pointed his shotgun at the group of African American party-goers and stated he was going to kill them while his co-defendants stated that ‘the little ones can get one too,’ referring to the young children at the party,” the statement said.

Norton was accused of making similar threats. The victims said some member of Torres’ group was armed with a knife and a tire tool."

Do you ever get tired of being demonstrably wrong? Like, all the time?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Of course.
Good. Because in the US the law is not equal for all.
That is a judge is allowed to apply different penalties to two identical situations, that is, two perfectly identical penally relevant situations.

To be more specific: a woman steals a packet of cigarettes. She gets three days of jail.
The same day, a man steals the same packet of cigarettes. The same judge is allowed to give him one year of jail, as sentence.

In my country, a judge cannot do that. If they do, they are suspended after five seconds. In the most serious cases, they are dismissed.
Which means: you cannot apply two standards to the same situation. There is just One.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Good. Because in the US the law is not equal for all.

Repeating yourself doesn't make you more correct. You're still just wrong here.

We Never Know

No Slack
The OP presented a hypothetical, not an actual, difference in penalty.

I explained why things like this can happen, and reasonably so.
Take a DWI
-first offense usually a class A misdemeanor
-second offense usually a class D felony
-prior offender usually a class C felony
-chronic offender now we are getting into class B or A felony

They all are different levels. Now one can argue they are the same crime but the levels makes them different.