• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same crime, same punishment

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
IMO punishments shouldn't vary so widely.
Example..
1. Joe gets busted with some pot. $300 fine
2. Bob gets busted with the same amount of pot, 3 years DOC

If the crimes are the same, IMO the sentence should be the same too.

Thoughts?

Edit.... BOTH are first time offenders.
I wish "Justice Is Blind" were to be true, but it ain't.

A 20-year-old I know got arrested for a d.u.i., was found guilty, and was immediately taken to jail for 30 days. Steven Bannon was arrested, tried, found guilty, and hasn't seen even one day of prison time after a few months.

It's a BS system that favors the wealthy and the powerful.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Not "prestige" - quality of argument.

You have a very black and white way of seeing the world. Unfortunately, reality is complicated and nuanced. I realize you may not like that, but it's how it is.
I understand what you mean. :)

But a judge should judge on the basis of the evidence...not on the basis of what the lawyer makes up to make his client look like a saint.
;)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I rely on this evident difference. We trust in the law, not in God.

View attachment 82198
la-legge-e-uguale-per-tutti.jpg

I suspect Italy is not the utopia you present it to be. But which slogan we hang on the wall has nothing to do with it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I wish "Justice Is Blind" were to be true, but it ain't.

A 20-year-old I know got arrested for a d.u.i., was found guilty, and was immediately taken to jail for 30 days. Steven Bannon was arrested, tried, found guilty, and hasn't seen even one day of prison time after a few months.

It's a BS system that favors the wealthy and the powerful.
...not to mention Trump. ;)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand what you mean. :)

But a judge should judge on the basis of the evidence...not on the basis of what the lawyer makes up to make his client look like a saint.
;)

Evidence has to be presented. That is the responsibility of each side of the case. The judge evaluates the evidence they see.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I suspect Italy is not the utopia you present it to be. But which slogan we hang on the wall has nothing to do with it.
Honestly I have never seen the motto "The law is equal for all" anywhere in the US.

It's normal. It's a concept from the French Revolution.
;)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I already gave a better way... 'Same crime same punishment' but money talks and BS walks won't let that happen.

Yes, you gave an outcome you'd like to see. The way that actually would happen in reality is vastly more complex than one slogan or sentence.