• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanic connection to Harry Potter? Pah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read on a 'google' source today that someone has been telling a few white lies or trying to get some Wiccans into trouble. I am Wiccan myself, apprentice, but I have better knowledge than these bafoons. I have only just really joined this belief and many people I know have been saying that it is a copy-cat of Satanism. I know this is not true and I have given them a piece of my mind about it, for I am a Witch myself (male, though). This article showed me that most people who know about Wicca either start believing in it or hate it the moment it reaches their ears and knowledge. Harry Potter, in the past, has been dubbed the name Satanic because of the things involved inside these children pages, and some Christian parents are beginning to get a bit worried. They wouldn't like their children to grow up in a Christian family and be reading something relatively near a Satanic Bible. I know this all a load of rubbish from their backsides, but a new source has showed me that it has now been dubbed: Wiccan, for they believe Wicca with its Witchcraft to be partners with Satan himself. I am outraged. Please send me your comments on this stupid idea.

FFH

Veteran Member
Emperor Constantine was instrumental in combining Pagan traditions with Christian traditions.

I see the Harry Potter series as having done the same thing. The author has taken Christian themes, and combined it with Wiccan traditions.

God would rather we be either "hot" or "cold". Either believe in God or Wicca, but do not combine the two. God does not like us to combine Christianity with Wiccan traditions. Either we do one or the other. Make a choice.

Matthew 6: 24

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

3 Nephi 13: 24

"No man can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."

Revelation 3: 15-19

15- I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

16- So then because thou art likewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

17- Because thou sayest, I am rich and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

18- I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

19- As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

20- Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

21- To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

22- He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Since you posted this in Wicca, it's not for Christians to debate. :D It's just a movie. Do a search and you will find a couple very long threads about this. And welcome to the forums!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I tend to see it as making a mountain out of a molehill, but...............each one to his own.:D

Mike182

Flaming Queer
godconstantine said:
I have read on a 'google' source today that someone has been telling a few white lies or trying to get some Wiccans into trouble. I am Wiccan myself, apprentice, but I have better knowledge than these bafoons. I have only just really joined this belief and many people I know have been saying that it is a copy-cat of Satanism. I know this is not true and I have given them a piece of my mind about it, for I am a Witch myself (male, though). This article showed me that most people who know about Wicca either start believing in it or hate it the moment it reaches their ears and knowledge. Harry Potter, in the past, has been dubbed the name Satanic because of the things involved inside these children pages, and some Christian parents are beginning to get a bit worried. They wouldn't like their children to grow up in a Christian family and be reading something relatively near a Satanic Bible. I know this all a load of rubbish from their backsides, but a new source has showed me that it has now been dubbed: Wiccan, for they believe Wicca with its Witchcraft to be partners with Satan himself. I am outraged. Please send me your comments on this stupid idea.
have you got a link to the site ........ twould be interesting to have a look, maybe send a few emails to the sites creators..........

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
FFH said:
15- I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Or Canadian .... :)

Sorry , couldn't help myself .
runaway.gif

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Considering Harry Potter is a work of fiction (and many people obviously need to look that word up), and performing magick in Wicca or whatever path requires more than just a flick of a wand and a spoken phrase, it confirms, in my mind at least, alot of people "leap before they look." I feel forming an attack on something without thoroughly reseaching it should be a crime.

sapphire

i like the harry potter movies, i find nothing indicating that it has anything to do with satanic or connection with wicca. it is lies made up, to draw attention. it is not the first time that critics from the publice media, would say something aganist an earth based religion.

Nehustan

I've not read these books, nor managed to watched the films (fell asleep in the first one) so I'm not really in a position to comment, but I'm going to anyway and anyone who has read/watched the books/films can correct my assumption if its wrong.

It would seem to me that these are fantasy books, but they would appear to draw on the arcana of the Western High Art, specifically the discipline of Alchemy. The reason I think this is from the titling of the books in the series. We have 'the philosopher's stone' with its well known Alchemical origin, then we have 'The goblet and the fire' which while the goblet/chalice is thought representative of the alchemical element of water, could be symbolic of a crucible? Then also we have the allusion of the phoenix, again the concept of fire, and transmutation inherent in alchemy. So it would appear to me that this series of books have more to do with Alchemy and the Art, than the Craft of Wicca.

t14art.jpg

SoyLeche

meh...
FFH said:
Emperor Constantine was instrumental in combining Pagan traditions with Christian traditions.

I see the Harry Potter series as having done the same thing. The author has taken Christian themes, and combined it with Wiccan traditions.

God would rather we be either "hot" or "cold". Either believe in God or Wicca, but do not combine the two. God does not like us to combine Christianity with Wiccan traditions. Either we do one or the other. Make a choice.

Matthew 6: 24

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

3 Nephi 13: 24

"No man can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."

Revelation 3: 15-19

16- So then because thou art likewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

17- Because thou sayest, I am rich and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

18- I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

19- As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

20- Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

21- To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

22- He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
So, what does the Bible Code have to say about this?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
..... can anyone say "fiction"?

the people who take harry potter seriously are the idiots, and the ones who feel threatened by a childrens book are even bigger idiots.

the end.

Nehustan

Mind you Buttons, fiction can be a very potent and subtle vehicle for fact. I'm not sure we can dismiss fiction as having no power. I'm thinking Geoge Orwell, very potent political fiction...some would venture closer to the truth than what we read in the press day to day.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Nehustan said:
Mind you Buttons, fiction can be a very potent and subtle vehicle for fact. I'm not sure we can dismiss fiction as having no power. I'm thinking Geoge Orwell, very potent political fiction...some would venture closer to the truth than what we read in the press day to day.
yes, i know, but harry potter?

that's giving that book WAY too much credit imo...

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'd like to note that this is in Discuss Individual Religions under the Wiccan section. If you are not Wiccan, you are limited to asking respectful questions. If you wish to debate something said here, make a new thread in the debate section.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Do Wiccans get upset when some parts of you religion are used in stories, and possibly taken out of context by the writters? Personally, I think it is ludicrous that people would make the assertions mentioned by the OP. I have heard the same thing in relation to many stories and things that are only imagination. Like it is a negative thing to have an imagination anymore. However, if things form your religion are taken out of context, I think it is important to be aware of it and not ignorant of the fact. What are the thoughts of someof you Wiccans?

nutshell

Harry Potter is a fictional work based in the fantasy genre. It is no different than Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Shannara, Dungeons and Dragons, or any other piece of literature.

It is no more real than the Da Vinci Code.

Wiccans,
I apologize for posting in your thread, but I guess I'm sensitive to these issues as I consider myself a writer and an artists.

Thanks,
-nutshell

Mike182

Flaming Queer
FeathersinHair said:
I feel so lonely that all the discussions are for Wiccans. :(
hmmmm, well, not even all us wiccans (/ part wiccans) agree on what to believe, so im willing to bet that general pagans can post in wiccan threads as well, being as many wiccan beliefs cross over into general pagan beliefs anyway........

Status
Not open for further replies.